LG LCD Firmware - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 20 Old 11-06-2009, 06:44 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just wanted to start up this thread to track any updates anyone has on where/how to get your hands on firmware updates for LG LCDs. LG seems to be pretty secretive about any firmware updates available, and I am quite surprised there isn't a shady tech out there posting on here about updates he comes across.

Really I think if you contact LG support specifically about a firmware update, and there is one available for your model, they should give it to you, but that's not the case.

I am interested to hear about the LH55 series and any updates people have managed to get.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 11-24-2009, 05:35 PM

Hi cdunford, I called LG about a firmware update because I'm experiencing audio lag on some channels. The rep said there was a firmware update for my tv and gave me a number to the local Video Re-fit Shop. The service guy should be here in 2 days so I'll let you know the results and which firmware version he installs.
post #3 of 20 Old 11-27-2009, 09:26 AM

A service from the Video Re-fit shop was here yesterday and installed the latest firmware update to fix the audio lag on my LG 55lh55. The software version my tv had was 4.22.00 and it was updated to version 4.30.1. The lip sync problem looks to me to be about 90% better but not perfect, in fact, the audio may be slightly ahead or the video now!

With version 4.22.00 I was able to access the service menu by holding down the menu keys on both the tv and remote simultaneously for a few seconds until the password screen popped up and I would enter 0000. If you are not sure what you are doing you are not advised to change anything in the service menu as it could void your warranty and kill your tv. The one setting I wanted to try to tweak was the lip sync setting but decided not too as the service guy was coming over in a couple of hours.

With the new s/w version 4.30.1, I am no longer able to access the service menu with the above technique. I called The Re-Fit Shop and asked if the could tell me how to get in. The guy said they were not allowed to give me that information and that if could void my warranty. I explained I just wanted to try and tweak the lip sync setting and nothing else and the tech guy finally said the have a special remote from LG to get into the service menu so I would not be able to get in. I don't know if thats true or if he was just trying to get rid of me.

Finally, after my long rant, does anybody know if it's possible to access the service menu manually with the 4.30.1 software ? Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks.
post #4 of 20 Old 12-19-2009, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by new55lh55owner View Post

A service from the Video Re-fit shop was here yesterday and installed the latest firmware update to fix the audio lag on my LG 55lh55. The software version my tv had was 4.22.00 and it was updated to version 4.30.1. The lip sync problem looks to me to be about 90% better but not perfect, in fact, the audio may be slightly ahead or the video now!

With version 4.22.00 I was able to access the service menu by holding down the menu keys on both the tv and remote simultaneously for a few seconds until the password screen popped up and I would enter 0000. If you are not sure what you are doing you are not advised to change anything in the service menu as it could void your warranty and kill your tv. The one setting I wanted to try to tweak was the lip sync setting but decided not too as the service guy was coming over in a couple of hours.

With the new s/w version 4.30.1, I am no longer able to access the service menu with the above technique. I called The Re-Fit Shop and asked if the could tell me how to get in. The guy said they were not allowed to give me that information and that if could void my warranty. I explained I just wanted to try and tweak the lip sync setting and nothing else and the tech guy finally said the have a special remote from LG to get into the service menu so I would not be able to get in. I don't know if thats true or if he was just trying to get rid of me.

Finally, after my long rant, does anybody know if it's possible to access the service menu manually with the 4.30.1 software ? Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks.

The remote control code hack used on European TVs will probably work. See http://lgusb.wikispaces.com/IR+Hack
post #5 of 20 Old 12-19-2009, 08:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
LG does in fact use a special service remote to get into the menu, that's the "offical" way to get in. I need to look into firmware updates for my TV.
post #6 of 20 Old 12-19-2009, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgie3 View Post

The remote control code hack used on European TVs will probably work. See http://img51.imageshack.us/img51/8633/lolavforums.png

Has anyone had success with this on US TVs? I would be interested to see if this could work.

I really want to get the lip sync adjustment setting. I find it weird that LG took away the ability to change this with the new firmware versions. Looks like it would save them some money and time if they allowed the user to adjust this.
post #7 of 20 Old 12-20-2009, 09:37 AM

I'm trying to gather info on North American LG firmware versions, and ideally get some firmware files themselves (.epk). Here's what I've managed to figure out so far about various versions:

4.05.00 - My set has this version. Easy to enter service menus. Has various problems playing USB video but handles MPEG2 .ts well, including 1080p.

4.22.00 - Can still access service menus.

4.30.01 - Has lip sync issue fix. No easy access to service menus (need service remote or remote code hack). May have Dolby audio pass through issue? Confirmed to have same problems as older verions when playing MPEG4 USB video (menu corruption & spontaneous reboot after playing .avi, .mkv). MPEG2 video probably still ok.

4.54.01 - Possibly the latest version (as of Jan 2010) May have further improvements for lip sync problem. No easy access to service menus.

I know of no posted copies of LG North American firmware (except 4.30.01, see update below). European firmware (3.xx) is available but can't be used, *will brick your set* if it's a North American model.

thanks
G

Update: BB_Mike was nice enough to send me the LG V4.30.01 North American firmware. Download link and instructions/warnings follow.

The following firmware link is for North American LG LCD TVs with model number xxLH40 or xxLH41. The "LH" indicates the TV was made in the 2009 model year. Please read all warnings which follow.

https://www.mediafire.com/?538ic7a5wqzj1ry

MD5: E04F176767A6630A2461F64DB35C1F6F

You must have a North American TV model, preferably with a current software version that starts with "4", for example 4.05.00. This firmware will not work on non-North-American TVs.

This firmware contains a fix for the widely discussed lip sync problem which affects earlier firmware versions. After you load this firmware you will not be able to access service menus using the OK+OK or MENU+MENU remote & TV button combinations. Remote control code hacks available elsewhere on the web will work to enter service menus after the upgrade.

Disclaimers: I have not tried to load this firmware (I'm waiting to obtain an earlier version such as 4.05 so I can downgrade again if needed). Others have loaded it successfully. I am not responsible for any damage you may cause to your TV. Even if you do everything right, your TV may be rendered inoperable (bricked) by a flash memory fault, power failure during upgrade, or some other problem. If your TV already has firmware version 4.30.01 or a higher number you are strongly advised not to load this firmware file.

I am interested to hear results of using this firmware version, in particular on sets where USB movie playback was previously enabled on an older firmware version (does the setting stick?)

post #8 of 20 Old 01-09-2010, 03:32 PM

Great job, how did u get this firm, ? i have the same firm on my set and me too is looking for anterior firmt , coz i still didn t enable divx trick. i wonder if is it possible to download a firmware from tv set ?
post #9 of 20 Old 01-10-2010, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ayko View Post

Great job, how did u get this firm, ? i have the same firm on my set and me too is looking for anterior firmt , coz i still didn t enable divx trick. i wonder if is it possible to download a firmware from tv set ?

I asked (begged another user, BB_Mike, to send me the file. He had an official LG service rep upgrade his TV, but the service guy was inexperienced, so needed some help preparing files on his USB key using BB_Mike's computer. In the process a copy of the file was obtained...

Instead of loading an older firmware version I suggest you try the IR remote code trick the Europeans are using. Info is available here: http://lgusb.wikispaces.com/IR+Hack
This has been confirmed to work on North American sets. Additional Euro info is here: http://lgusb.wikispaces.com/

As for "uploading" firmware from the set, this is not easy. See http://www.lg-hack.info/ where advanced stuff like this may be discussed.

Georg
post #10 of 20 Old 01-12-2010, 05:37 PM

I updated with your firmware and guide on my 42lh40
The lip sync issue is still there.

I thought it was fixed, but it's still there, it may be a little better, but not 100% and it's annoying.

I just bought the tv, so I might bring it back unless LG can fix it.

Anyone have the latest firmware and i'll get that on a try.
I used 4.30.01

Thanks
post #11 of 20 Old 01-12-2010, 09:44 PM

Quote:

I asked (begged another user, BB_Mike, to send me the file. He had an official LG service rep upgrade his TV, but the service guy was inexperienced, so needed some help preparing files on his USB key using BB_Mike's computer. In the process a copy of the file was obtained...

Instead of loading an older firmware version I suggest you try the IR remote code trick the Europeans are using. Info is available here: http://img51.imageshack.us/img51/8633/lolavforums.png
This has not been confirmed to work on North American sets, so you'd be in unexplored territory. Additional Euro info is here: http://lgusb.wikispaces.com/

As for "uploading" firmware from the set, I'm an embedded software developer and this is very unlikely (only theoretically possible). A software interface wouldn't be provided for doing this. Someone would have to pull or desolder, or otherwise read out the contents of flash memory chips, then reconstruct the required .epk file. There could be multiple chips you have to read, unknown additional data or formatting information required in the .epk file, etc.

Georg

Thanks for your clarification, but its ridiculous how lately LG are hiding there firm and treating them as a State secret, and I don't think the activation of the usb divx trick is the main reason behind this.?!!
post #12 of 20 Old 01-13-2010, 12:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djpuma View Post

I updated with your firmware and guide on my 42lh40
The lip sync issue is still there.

I thought it was fixed, but it's still there, it may be a little better, but not 100% and it's annoying.

I just bought the tv, so I might bring it back unless LG can fix it.

Anyone have the latest firmware and i'll get that on a try.
I used 4.30.01

Thanks

Sorry to hear your lip sync problems were not fixed, well at least things are no worse

Many people report this version fixes their problem, it may depend on your cable box, try different audio settings on your cable box if possible. I've seen one other report where the problem wasn't fixed. The TV service menu does have a constant audio sync adjustment parameter which can help if the sync problem is similar on every channel and doesn't jump around. Unfortunately with the new firmware entering service menus is now harder, if you're keen you can try the IR/remote trick, http://lgusb.wikispaces.com/IR+Hack

There are newer firmware versions which you could obtain through LG service.
G
post #13 of 20 Old 01-13-2010, 03:25 PM

Quote:

I'm trying to gather info on North American LG firmware versions, and ideally get some firmware files themselves (.epk). Here's what I've managed to figure out so far about various versions:

Any luck getting US firmware besides 4.30.1?
I'd like to have a backup of 4.05.0 before trying 4.30.1 (my set came with 4.05.0 as the primary and 4.30.1 as the "backup" firmware, so I could revert to it.).

lg_unpack.zip has an epk extractor which lets you look at the linux firmware etc. It looks like there's additional features could possibly be unlocked (DVR, bluetooth) or modded using add-on USB hardware.

I'd like to see the newest LH50 code to see how it does Youtube etc.
post #14 of 20 Old 01-14-2010, 07:58 AM

I activated the Divx play over my usb using the remote hack, but i m facing a unique problem, everytime I click ok to play a video file my TV reboot, and i have some pixilasation over my usb menu, I m using an external 80 gb hdd, i tried with a usb device for 1Gb and its the same problem, what frustrate me is that nobody have encountered a similar problem.any idea ???
post #15 of 20 Old 01-16-2010, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ayko View Post

I activated the Divx play over my usb using the remote hack, but i m facing a unique problem, everytime I click ok to play a video file my TV reboot, and i have some pixilasation over my usb menu, I m using an external 80 gb hdd, i tried with a usb device for 1Gb and its the same problem, what frustrate me is that nobody have encountered a similar problem.any idea ???

Hi... I have the same problems you describe, and have seen this mentioned a few times around the web for North American sets. For more info and workarounds please see this post: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...7#post17939517
post #16 of 20 Old 12-11-2010, 11:12 AM

heyy georgie,

I have 4.05 on my 47in LG LH300 set and as you said I was wondering how I could access the service menu on that firmware. Thankyou.
post #17 of 20 Old 12-17-2010, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darshilmunshi View Post
heyy georgie,

I have 4.05 on my 47in LG LH300 set and as you said I was wondering how I could access the service menu on that firmware. Thankyou.
On your TV it should be very easy if you're running North American firmware version 4.05. This is before LG disabled button combinations to get into service menus.

For the EZ ADJUST service menu, press OK on the TV and OK on the remote at the same time, holding for about 5 seconds. (OK may be labeled ENTER).

For the IN START service menu, press MENU on the TV and MENU on the remote at the same time, holding for about 5 seconds.

When it prompts for password enter 0000. Be careful not to change any settings unless you know exactly what they do and that they are safe, or you will brick your TV! Don't even cycle through settings just to see what's available, as changes may take effect immediately.

Good luck,
G
post #18 of 20 Old 03-04-2011, 01:23 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:

Instead of loading an older firmware version I suggest you try the IR remote code trick the Europeans are using. Info is available here: http://lgusb.wikispaces.com/IR+Hack
This has been confirmed to work on North American sets. Additional Euro info is here: http://lgusb.wikispaces.com/

As for "uploading" firmware from the set, this is not easy. See http://www.lg-hack.info/ where advanced stuff like this may be discussed.

Georg
Wonder if the DMCA was used to pull those sites down or other reasons. Anyway using google can find a lot of detail about these hacks.
post #19 of 20 Old 03-17-2011, 02:25 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by DA1745 View Post

Wonder if the DMCA was used to pull those sites down or other reasons. Anyway using google can find a lot of detail about these hacks.

I'm glad those sites were around a few months back when I was looking to do the IR hack!
post #20 of 20 Old 04-03-2012, 02:10 AM

i have 32lh2or...i tried firmware v3.15..nothing happend
and i searched on net and i found some posts saying that ,with network and without network,,,,,does it mean that i have to connect my tv to internet

and if not,,what to d...should i try an other irmware version,,

and info would help,,,plz
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page