Official Sharp 52" LC-52SB57UN Owners Thread - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 301 Old 11-11-2009, 07:35 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Tried Tashunka/Aiyer settings that are both pretty similar and I'm very satisfied with these. Thanks guys!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 301 Old 11-11-2009, 08:40 PM

BTW, Standard definition also looks so much better with this setting. You may need to tweak this for bright day time viewing. I am going to use this setting in standard mode for night viewing and adjust for day in User mode.
post #93 of 301 Old 11-11-2009, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiribomb View Post

Just remember this does not cover a bulb as the warranty states, I just do not know what the bulb is or if it is replaceable ect, I wonder how they are going to handle the LED model tv's.

For a LCD or LED you would only need to purchase our regular service contract. The bulb warranty that we offer is for projectors or DLP Television's that the bulb needs to be replaced over time.
post #94 of 301 Old 11-12-2009, 12:23 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mackcamera View Post

For a LCD or LED you would only need to purchase our regular service contract. The bulb warranty that we offer is for projectors or DLP Television's that the bulb needs to be replaced over time.

Thank you for clearing that up
post #95 of 301 Old 11-12-2009, 07:49 AM

How do you turn off the automatic backlight adjustment? I thought it was by turning off OPC but it still seems to do it. I watching Sopranos last night and during night scenes the picture would darken up too much.
post #96 of 301 Old 11-12-2009, 08:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nola4130 View Post

How do you turn off the automatic backlight adjustment? I thought it was by turning off OPC but it still seems to do it. I watching Sopranos last night and during night scenes the picture would darken up too much.

Turn off Active Contrast (Dynamic Contrast) and that should stop that effect.
post #97 of 301 Old 11-12-2009, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabrielh1979 View Post

Tried Tashunka/Aiyer settings that are both pretty similar and I'm very satisfied with these. Thanks guys!

same here! looks better, for sure! thanks guys.
post #98 of 301 Old 11-12-2009, 10:04 AM

I purchased the 46" version of this TV. I was originally looking for a 40-42" 1080p 120hz in the $700-$800 price range but came across the LC-46SB57UN at walmart last saturday when it was on sale for $700 and picked it up. I havent opened it yet or decided if I am going to keep it. I may return it and go back to looking for a smaller 40-42" in a premium line such as Aquos, Bravia etc.

What is the consensus on the quality of this TV? Obviously it is a steal for the price, but price aside is it any good or is it a 'budget' tv and it shows?

Does anyone have any vertical banding issues?

What about the panel, is it 8 bit or 10 bit?

I have searched thoroughly online and there is very little information available unfortunately

Thanks,
post #99 of 301 Old 11-12-2009, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nola4130 View Post

I do not believe it is the Active Contrast option that is controlling the lightening and darkening of the backlight. (I actually think the Active Contrast function gives flesh tone color an appropriate feel, but I am still playing with having it on and off before I make a decision on whether to use it.)

If my memory serves me correctly as I was playing with settings I believe you need to navigate to the Power Control menu which is separate from your display menu and under that menu are three options. I can not recall what those are at this time, but want to say one is "By Input" and something similar. The middle option is the one that I recall causing the backlight to fluctuate while watching programs. Basically, the screen seems to be adjusting itself to the the light content of the program as well as the room and darkens the backlight or lightens it accordingly. (Hence saving power.) I remember the set doing this consistently when I bought it and the green OPC leafs coming out on the bottom of the screen over and over again while watching the set during changes of lighting. The top option under the Power Control menu is another power save mode function that doesn't seem to cause the dramatic backlight changes, but I just went ahead and shut Power Saving off completely so that I knew any settings I would be changing for optimal picture quality would not be affected by that feature.

Again... locate and change for following and you should not have the backlight issue.

Power Control menu:
Power Saving: Off

Hope that helps.
post #100 of 301 Old 11-12-2009, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Willard View Post

What is the consensus on the quality of this TV? Obviously it is a steal for the price, but price aside is it any good or is it a 'budget' tv and it shows?

Does anyone have any vertical banding issues?

1. Quality: I have yet to find a quality issue with my 52" Sharp LCD. However, it may not be at par with some of the higher end models of the AQUOS line.

2. Verticle Banding: None to report. Though a few sets have been indicated as having banding and have been defective. If you have a set that is banding, it is still recommended that you try reseting the LCD before returning to see if that corrects the issue. (Has been known to correct banding issues for some, but not all.)

3. Panel: This was discussed briefly the other day. No one has been able to confirm whether the panel is 8 or 10 bit. It would appear to be 8 bit by assumption. I would assume that the panel is an older panel that was designed for the 2008 SB series, though the unit itself looks to have been upgraded to better components. (120Hz vs 60Hz processor... etc.) as there are specs that bring it up to par with Sharps higher end AQUOS models.

For a "Budget" entry level large screen LCD, I believe these Sharp models have a high level of performance on a $$$/performance ratio. May not have all the bells and whistles of some other models, but I wouldn't turn away from it on a "Budget Entry Level" consideration.

In the end, everyone has a different set of preferences they are looking for. I didn't even intend to buy this TV. I didn't even know there was a sale. I'm just one of those people who constantly watches the tech market like a hawk to see what is going on in tech-economy and be educated on things I may invest my hard earned cash into at some point in time. I just happened to be in Walmart the day of the sale and walked past a pallet holding 2 52" and 2 46" Sharp sets with impressive price tags. The 46" caught my eye first, then I came around to the 52" and I just made an impulse buy knowing that either one of them was a steal at the price they were selling the set.

I tried to even research the set to see if I could find reviews on it or basic information, and like you said, and as is the consensus, there hasn't been much reported about the set.

I believe in part, that is what this forum is about. Learning about this set and the purchases we made.

Thus far, I am not disappointed.

If I were you, I would open it up, set it up, play around with it, see what you think, and then make your own decision.

Walmart will accept the return whether you have opened the box and tested the set or not.

Certainly can't hurt to give it a go.
post #101 of 301 Old 11-12-2009, 11:01 AM

I was fortunate enough to purchase the 46" in Oregon where these TV's went off the shelves in minutes.
I tried the settings posted on page 3 and it really made my HD programming jump out. Thanks for that info!
I do notice that sometimes in commercials or on certain channels I have some scrambled picture at the top of the set - it's just about a 1/2 inch bar across the entire top of the TV. I had the same problem on my 42" Vizio I replaced with this TV - but the Vizio allowed me to move the picture on the screen a little bit so it would not show these sorts of edges. Is that possible on this Sharp? Would I have to give up the 1:1 dot to dot mode you guys have suggested? Just curious.
post #102 of 301 Old 11-12-2009, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blytle14 View Post

I was fortunate enough to purchase the 46" in Oregon where these TV's went off the shelves in minutes.
I tried the settings posted on page 3 and it really made my HD programming jump out. Thanks for that info!
I do notice that sometimes in commercials or on certain channels I have some scrambled picture at the top of the set - it's just about a 1/2 inch bar across the entire top of the TV. I had the same problem on my 42" Vizio I replaced with this TV - but the Vizio allowed me to move the picture on the screen a little bit so it would not show these sorts of edges. Is that possible on this Sharp? Would I have to give up the 1:1 dot to dot mode you guys have suggested? Just curious.

Actually, I think there is a positioning function in one of the menus if I remember correctly. However, I noticed this too with a few networks that were not broadcasting in full HD. Sometimes the View Mode wouldn't even permit me to do Dot by Dot and it was replaced with the Full Screen or something along that name which if I had that selected would display a bit of the scrambled edge of the picture. I would just change the setting to the top setting in view mode for those channels and had no problem.

However, I'd be curious to know if the picture could be moved to alleviate that. Only concern there would be the positioning of other input sources if you were to knock the positioning off from center.

Try playing with it and re-post results.
post #103 of 301 Old 11-12-2009, 11:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Willard View Post

It is a 10 bit panel and has a 10bit demo that states that fact. If it was not a 10-bit panel but the show room demo falsely stated it, was Sharp would get sued.

I can also see the 10bit effect on live HD video feeds that show reduced color banding (smooth color transitions just like the 10bit demo shows).
post #104 of 301 Old 11-12-2009, 11:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blytle14 View Post

With 1:1 mode you can't move any TV image. The screen only has 1920x1080 pixels and to move the image would leave some pixels unused. What you are seeing in the VBI information that was used for CC and TV rating system for standard definition. If you don't like it, you have to give up 1:1 mode on any TV.

I wish TV manufactures and STB manufactures would give the customer a 1:1 mode that would allow the user to add a user definable black frame around the image to hide those pulsing white dot on some TV content.

But as time goes by everything should be broadcast from OTA, SAT, & CABLE in HD and that will fix this issue.
post #105 of 301 Old 11-12-2009, 11:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TashunkaWitko View Post

I do not believe it is the Active Contrast option that is controlling the lightening and darkening of the backlight. (I actually think the Active Contrast function gives flesh tone color an appropriate feel, but I am still playing with having it on and off before I make a decision on whether to use it.)

That is not what Active Contrast does. What you described is a auto color feature that this TV does not have.

Active Contrast makes the darkest color on the screen black, which causes a pulsing effect on certain content.
post #106 of 301 Old 11-12-2009, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhatHappend View Post

That is not what Active Contrast does. What you described is a auto color feature that this TV does not have.

Active Contrast makes the darkest color on the screen black, which causes a pulsing effect on certain content.

Thank you for explaining. I just felt that skin tones/shading looked more appropriate with the Active Contrast on for certain source material. Didn't really intend to say that it changed the color, though it does appear to affect the color in tones. Just like if you were to manually adjust contrast while watching a program, darker to lighter. Dunno, just what I saw on a few different feeds. I don't see it adjusting shading constantly or pulsing like you mentioned, and not to the degree that the person inquiring seemed to be experiencing.

I was thinking that Active Contrast adjusts contrast levels across the screen according to the content at different intervals. Not the whole picture which a backlight source change would indicate.

The only function I saw significantly adjusting the backlight directly was the Power Save Menu options. If you want to test that yourself, go for it. I just remember my 52" bouncing lighter and darker with the middle Power Save mode on.

Thanks for the info and follow up.
post #107 of 301 Old 11-12-2009, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TashunkaWitko View Post

For a "Budget" entry level large screen LCD, I believe these Sharp models have a high level of performance on a $$$/performance ratio.

Damn right!

IMHO here's how I rate it.

A rating on 1080p blu-rays...BEAUTFUL,CLEAR/CRISP images (the dark knight IMAX scenes BLEW.ME.AWAY).

B rating on HD Programming. Not horrible but not as clear/coloful/smooth as my Sammy 50" 720p plasma...B Rating is still good for the price I paid. The recommended settings on page 3 really saved the rating from a C+

A- rating on look and finish. It doesn't look cheap. It's stylist but not as 'pricey' looking as the Samsungs. Still AWESOME looking/finish for the price.

Final Rating = A- which is like a 9 out of 10 overall since we got an amazing product for the $$$. This TV would be a B-/C+ if we had paid the $1490 'Suggested Retail Price'

And it could only get better as we 'break-it in' and find more color/CMS adjustments!

I would highly recommend this TV to any family/friend and I could never go back to watching blu-rays on my Sammy 50" Plasma 720p. This Sharp blows it out of the water in this aspect.
post #108 of 301 Old 11-12-2009, 12:57 PM

Thanks for the information. I will break out the TV, see how it looks and try the adjustments in this thread before deciding if I will keep it or not.

Now I just hope that I got a panel without any significant defects (dead pixels, banding, back light bleed etc) as it sounds like the chance of finding a replacement in store would be nil.

Great thread btw I assumed the panel would be an 8 bit but the presence of a 10 bit demo would suggest otherwise... although I am not sure that this guarantees they are 10 bit panels. They exagerate the supposed enhancements in all the demos I have seen on TV's in store. Hence an 8 bit panel would be more than capable of demonstrating the simulated, exaggerated difference portrayed in the demo... the demo programs could just be standard and loaded on to alll the 2009 sharp LCD TV's.
post #109 of 301 Old 11-12-2009, 04:14 PM

Any suggestions for RGB Full Range and Super-White settings for the PS3?
post #110 of 301 Old 11-12-2009, 04:55 PM - Thread Starter

I also noticed that the screen image is controlled by power savings, It monitors the ambient light in the room and must also adjust to the video image being displayed. I suspect that this is for a situation where the tv will not be adjusted per one preference, and need to make adjustments for all conditions, example a waiting room, expo, sports bar, rest home, or just for people that expect the tv to do its thing without any specific performance.

So it might be beneficial for people to give their room information, example Batcave, family room with blackout curtains and white ceiling, family room with lots of windows sheer curtains.

Just like projectors in that performance can be reduced by ambient light and reflections of light.

If you are like me then these auto adjusting system can be turned off when the sun goes down and the dark room with dim lighting is the perfered setting.

The dynamic contrast or movie, cinema settings also are preset to a recipe that was designed to common parameters, so it might be beneficial to determine what each input will be set to as user tweaked style.
post #111 of 301 Old 11-12-2009, 06:26 PM

While hooking up the home theatre system to the TV, i was surprised to see optical audio out. The specs on Sharp website indicates only co-axial audio out. For some reason, co-axial wasn't working for me but optical does. Sound is great now through Onkyo receiver although TV speakers werent too bad. You will need to to go to audio option in the menu and set the output to variable and you can control the volume with the TV remote.
post #112 of 301 Old 11-12-2009, 07:59 PM

The D85UN, SB57, and E77 share the same firmware file. That says they are nearly identical from a functionality point of view and from a build point of view. I'm willing to bet that the SB57 is an Aquos guts with a different chasis. Manufacturers do this to get economies of scales. Looking at the spec differences posted on Sharp's website shows that there is minimal difference between these sets. The SB57 has some items blank. This doesn't mean it's not the same. It means Sharp chooses not to disclose it to make the more expensive models appear better.

Companies like Wal-Mart, Costco, Sams, etc... want to sell the same name brands to the public. They also want exclusive models. Manufacturers respond by modifying shells (different materials, finishes, coatings, etc) and thus model numbers and they get to protect their upper name brands. Inside they are identical. This also prevents price matching and thus they can each claim lower prices. It's done with PCs all the time. Compare specs. If it smells like an Aquos, walks like an Aquos, and talks like an Aquos..... Sharp makes it's money from the AQ line, but it needs the mass market volumes to keep costs down. WM makes money from volume. It's a win-win for both.
post #113 of 301 Old 11-12-2009, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Getoutadaway View Post

The D85UN, SB57, and E77 share the same firmware file. That says they are nearly identical from a functionality point of view and from a build point of view. I'm willing to bet that the SB57 is an Aquos guts with a different chasis. Manufacturers do this to get economies of scales. Looking at the spec differences posted on Sharp's website shows that there is minimal difference between these sets. The SB57 has some items blank. This doesn't mean it's not the same. It means Sharp chooses not to disclose it to make the more expensive models appear better.

Companies like Wal-Mart, Costco, Sams, etc... want to sell the same name brands to the public. They also want exclusive models. Manufacturers respond by modifying shells (different materials, finishes, coatings, etc) and thus model numbers and they get to protect their upper name brands. Inside they are identical. This also prevents price matching and thus they can each claim lower prices. It's done with PCs all the time. Compare specs. If it smells like an Aquos, walks like an Aquos, and talks like an Aquos..... Sharp makes it's money from the AQ line, but it needs the mass market volumes to keep costs down. WM makes money from volume. It's a win-win for both.

BTW, I was just looking at the specs for the LG 240Hz posted on SD and the engine type is "XD" same as on the Sharp E77. So even different companies use the same components. The Panel is better in that it has a faster response time. But this could actually be the "same" panels and they're just sorted at the manufacturer. Intel used to do this with their chips. The ones that passed 1Ghz were labeled 1Ghz, those that failed were rated slower say 900Mhz. Same chip, just manufacturing differences led to better performance. Kinda like tuning your engine.
post #114 of 301 Old 11-12-2009, 09:34 PM

Figured out the scaling issue - had to set my catalyst control center (on the htpc) to max. overscan, and it fills the whole screen. Any reason it does this on dot by dot (1:1 pixel mapping I thought?), and is this a problem?
post #115 of 301 Old 11-12-2009, 10:34 PM

I doubt they are identical. It is most likely E series has a better gut than SB.
SB series is Sharp's entry level. Sharp has moved away from providing dynamic contrast ratio numbers. Instead, they have a grading scale for contrast. Look for Spectral contrast engine label like D/UD/XD/MC. XD (extreme dark) has better black levels/contrast than UD (Ultra dark). SB series is UD. What is not clear is if the spectral contrast engine is just video processing unit or combination of panel/video processing/backlighting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Getoutadaway View Post

post #116 of 301 Old 11-13-2009, 04:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aiyer View Post

I doubt they are identical. It is most likely E series has a better gut than SB.
SB series is Sharp's entry level. Sharp has moved away from providing dynamic contrast ratio numbers. Instead, they have a grading scale for contrast. Look for Spectral contrast engine label like D/UD/XD/MC. XD (extreme dark) has better black levels/contrast than UD (Ultra dark). SB series is UD. What is not clear is if the spectral contrast engine is just video processing unit or combination of panel/video processing/backlighting.

And the D85 also has a UD engine and it's an AQ model.
post #117 of 301 Old 11-13-2009, 05:04 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiribomb View Post

There are a few thing to consider when mounting, are you going to be watching only from your bed, do you change your bedroom layout around or never.

Does the mount have enough movement to be truly flexible.

Thank god the weight is only about 60 pounds, but i have a 32" older model that weighs this much, and this what i used:

I bought mine at Home Depot so that if I did not like it, I could just take it back, good luck getting to try before you buy.
Use of a lowes 10% off coupon is also helpful.

I chose an articulating arm style that allows movement in 2 axises or left/right, in/out from the wall and viewing angle.

So as far as where you want the center of the tv or mount, i choose my eye level or about 5'7".

I have read that some people who do not prop themselves up with pillows like to mount it on the ceiling so that they are lying flat and looking almost straight up. Sounds like pron lovers

Another good center point is the center of pictures or artwork in the room.

The reason I like the arm style is if I am sitting somewhere or standing in the room doing something else I can pull it out and turn it towards me, and it allows for easly cleaning behind it.

For mounting you got to make sure that at least 2 screws hit the stud, and that can cause it to be mounted in not the perfect spot, so the arm range of motion makes up for that, also for the mount, the screws, that do not hit the studs, you should use a toggle bolt or T bolt.

HD has some nice ones that the T collapses and goes thru a 1/2 hole and then springs out inside the wall to be a T so that the force is distributed out kind of like a grappling hook behind the Drywall.

Good luck and report back.

I am using one of the MONOPRICE mounts... I will be laying in bed with pillows proping me up to view the TV. So, what distance from the floor should I mount the TV on the wall.. I need this information quickly because I am mounting the TV this morning..
post #118 of 301 Old 11-13-2009, 05:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pglover19 View Post

I am using one of the MONOPRICE mounts... I will be laying in bed with pillows proping me up to view the TV. So, what distance from the floor should I mount the TV on the wall.. I need this information quickly because I am mounting the TV this morning..

Lay in bed with the pillows like you would to watch it. Focus on the wall and find the spot where you're looking straight at the wall and are comfortable. Mark that spot (masking tape is good). Now that's the center of the TV. Use the same tape and tape the outline of the TV on the wall using the center spot as your guide. Lay back down and look at the center spot and the corners, bottom, top. If you can see the corners comfortably (nothing in the way, feet, covers, pillows, dog, your wife..) then that's the spot. If not, then adjust from there. Can't give an exact height because it depends on how high your bed is off the ground (platform beds are much lower for example), how you prop yourself, etc... You didn't specify in your post. This procedure should help.
post #119 of 301 Old 11-13-2009, 06:26 AM

my local walmart still has this on sale...gonna pick one up tonight or tomorrow...which warranty for this is better...the optional warranty at walmart or the mack (?) mentioned earlier in this thread?
post #120 of 301 Old 11-13-2009, 07:20 AM

Anyone know how to view the current firmware version running on this TV? I don't see it in the menu.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Sharp

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page