post #181 of 301 Old 11-19-2009, 08:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by pglover19 View Post

I don't see a optical connection on the Wii game console, and cannot find a Wii video/audio cable that has a digital optical connection.. Please advise...

I don't own a WII. You will have to use RCA L/R audio jacks to your AVR if that is all the WII has. (The PS3 and XBOX360 both have optical TOSLINK as do the old XBOX and PS2).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 301 Old 11-20-2009, 08:47 AM

I have an issue with a green line on the right side of the screen when I use dot by dot. Almost like the screen is shifted to the left. I went into the menu and set up but while in dot by dot the position is disabled. Anyone have and idea on how to fix this. Im using cable one digital with the hdmi cable. It does not have the green line with my PS3 with an HDMI. thanks
post #183 of 301 Old 11-20-2009, 09:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpennin217 View Post

I have an issue with a green line on the right side of the screen when I use dot by dot. Almost like the screen is shifted to the left. I went into the menu and set up but while in dot by dot the position is disabled. Anyone have and idea on how to fix this. Im using cable one digital with the hdmi cable. It does not have the green line with my PS3 with an HDMI. thanks

That is an issue with your Set top box. 2.5% overscan was used to hide these issues. You will have to try getting a different brand of STB or don't use dot by dot mode for your cable viewing.
post #184 of 301 Old 11-20-2009, 12:15 PM

Thast kind of what I figured. Don't have a choice right now with the box. Thanks for the quick reply.
post #185 of 301 Old 11-21-2009, 09:04 AM

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 28
I was at walmart yesterday, and I saw one of these TVs that had been returned. The funny thing is this, I looked at the card that shows the price they are not selling it for. It shows the origanl price and then the new price which is 20% off. Well first off we never sell these tvs here only on that one day when the sale was. but anyways the orignal price listed was $1548, and the new SALE price was $1148 lol... So i just wanted to point that out that even in a used TV we still got a good deal. Have a great day everyone.
post #186 of 301 Old 11-24-2009, 09:15 AM

So how is everyones tv running?
post #187 of 301 Old 11-24-2009, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalguy View Post

Mine's doing good! I've watched plenty of Sports (NFL/NBA) HD Programming on my Sharp and love it! It has fully grown on me. I also have the Sammy 50" Plasma (720p) in my living room (we turn it when there's two different games airing at the same time when friends are over) and everyone (including me) likes the color/vibrance of the Sharp

...at first, i could have sworn the Samsung Plasma was better on 1080i HD Broadcast but after plenty of 'breaking-in' hours and custom settings (thanks to the people in this thread) i'm quite satisfy with the picture.

...and don't get me started on the Blu-rays! they look fantastic and amazingly clear.

So yeah, i'm rating this TV 5 starts out of 5 because of the value and what we paid

ps. no technical problems whatsoever (or annoyances).
post #188 of 301 Old 11-26-2009, 07:53 AM

Ok I have set up my 46" version of this TV and so far so good, Im really impressed with it!

One thing that may be a deal breaker for me though is whether or not the TV will accept 24p input from blu-ray players. If it doesnt the usefullness of 120hz is severely diminished for me with this set.

I dont have a blu ray player yet so I cant test this (hopefully getting one from the wife for christmas) but it sounds like several other contributers to this thread do. Would someone mind sending the set 24p from their blu-ray player and letting me know if the set accepts it?

Also, is anyone else suprised with the lack of smoothing from the Fine Motion Enhanced setting? I thought it would do something similar to Sonys motion flow or Samsungs AMP i.e. add interpolated frames but I cant see any evidence of this happening... which would lead me to assume its just doing a black frame insertion for every other frame with the feature on? That would explain the 4ms response time. Heres a link to an interesting review of a sharp set that touches on this: http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-10081148-1.html

Also, Sharps USA site is darn-awful compared to Samsung, Sony, Toshiba etc is it not!?!
post #189 of 301 Old 11-26-2009, 04:51 PM

Yes, it will do 24 fps, i have the 52, and that was what i wanted, but no fear it does.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Willard View Post

Ok I have set up my 46" version of this TV and so far so good, Im really impressed with it!

One thing that may be a deal breaker for me though is whether or not the TV will accept 24p input from blu-ray players. If it doesnt the usefullness of 120hz is severely diminished for me with this set.

I dont have a blu ray player yet so I cant test this (hopefully getting one from the wife for christmas) but it sounds like several other contributers to this thread do. Would someone mind sending the set 24p from their blu-ray player and letting me know if the set accepts it?

Also, is anyone else suprised with the lack of smoothing from the Fine Motion Enhanced setting? I thought it would do something similar to Sonys motion flow or Samsungs AMP i.e. add interpolated frames but I cant see any evidence of this happening... which would lead me to assume its just doing a black frame insertion for every other frame with the feature on? That would explain the 4ms response time. Heres a link to an interesting review of a sharp set that touches on this: http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-10081148-1.html

Also, Sharps USA site is darn-awful compared to Samsung, Sony, Toshiba etc is it not!?!

post #190 of 301 Old 11-26-2009, 07:53 PM

I bought the LC-46SB57UN through the black friday sale at Newegg.

I have never used a USB device for a Firmware update on a LCD let alone anything. Can I get some instruction from experienced forum members.

1. What USB device do I need? A link to Newegg.com would be great.
2. Do I format the USB device in some way before I use it, like when forumatting DVD disc media?
3. I found the Firmware file at *sharpusa.com/CustomerSupport/ProductDownloads.aspx. However, it is a compressed file.
a) do I download it directly to the USB device as a compressed file?
b) or do I download it on my PC and uncompress it and then move it over to the USB device.
4. How do I install the update to the LCD?

Do I have to install this update? What would happen if I didn't do this? I never had thought of this with my other Sharp, a 37" Aquos.

Thanks!

Oh! I read the manual and I can't tell if the stand comes attached to the TV or do I have to attach it myself?

And what do I need to attach my PC to the HD TV PC connection I have a5850 graphics card and it has a DVI and it also has HDMI? How do I get sound from the sound card to the TV?
post #191 of 301 Old 11-27-2009, 08:30 AM

Quote:

Not so good here. I've done minimal adjustments to the picture and am satisfied knowing more can be done. The problem is with the sound. I'm no audiophile but the sound on this thing is roughly equal to a $5 clock radio wrapped in a plastic bag. Surprisingly it's the most noticeably poor on voice. I have it wall mounted in a small bed room and need it turned up to around 30 just to make out what's being said on screen. It's not just the lack of volume but quality of the sound that's most annoying. I went back to WM to listen to their display model but that was imposible. Looks like I'll be returning it next week unless someone here has a suggestion.
post #192 of 301 Old 11-27-2009, 02:22 PM

Quote:

Yes, it will do 24 fps, i have the 52, and that was what i wanted, but no fear it does.

Sweet! Thanks for the confirmation that the set accepts 24p
post #193 of 301 Old 11-27-2009, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussenbagen View Post

I bought the LC-46SB57UN through the black friday sale at Newegg.

I have never used a USB device for a Firmware update on a LCD let alone anything. Can I get some instruction from experienced forum members.

1. What USB device do I need? A link to Newegg.com would be great.
2. Do I format the USB device in some way before I use it, like when forumatting DVD disc media?
3. I found the Firmware file at *sharpusa.com/CustomerSupport/ProductDownloads.aspx. However, it is a compressed file.
a) do I download it directly to the USB device as a compressed file?
b) or do I download it on my PC and uncompress it and then move it over to the USB device.
4. How do I install the update to the LCD?

Do I have to install this update? What would happen if I didn't do this? I never had thought of this with my other Sharp, a 37" Aquos.

Thanks!

Oh! I read the manual and I can't tell if the stand comes attached to the TV or do I have to attach it myself?

And what do I need to attach my PC to the HD TV PC connection I have a5850 graphics card and it has a DVI and it also has HDMI? How do I get sound from the sound card to the TV?

I will take a stab at trying to help:

You need a thumbdrive. If you read this thread from the beginning there are fairly detailed instructions on how to update the firmware. Dont get ahead of yourself though... check the sets firmware when you receive it as there is a chance it already has the most recent version installed.

You need to attach the stand to the TV but it is not difficult to do.

The TV has a pc input with DVI and VGA ports. PC audio input is via a 3.5mm stereo jack. To get sound from your PC to the TV you will need a 3.5mm stereo cable (like a headphone cable) with a male connector on both ends. If you dont have one already you can get one at radioshack.
post #194 of 301 Old 11-27-2009, 04:40 PM

Thanks for confirming 24P works. I use an HD-DVD player on my htpc, and just set the refresh rate at 1080P (on the computer) to 24hz, and it looks great with hd-dvd's
post #195 of 301 Old 11-28-2009, 06:59 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RR404 View Post

Not so good here. I've done minimal adjustments to the picture and am satisfied knowing more can be done. The problem is with the sound. I'm no audiophile but the sound on this thing is roughly equal to a $5 clock radio wrapped in a plastic bag. Surprisingly it's the most noticeably poor on voice. I have it wall mounted in a small bed room and need it turned up to around 30 just to make out what's being said on screen. It's not just the lack of volume but quality of the sound that's most annoying. I went back to WM to listen to their display model but that was imposible. Looks like I'll be returning it next week unless someone here has a suggestion.

For starters dont use the speakers on the set. Im not even taking mine out of the box til i settle on the soundbar thats going with it.and thats the least you should use.
post #196 of 301 Old 11-28-2009, 11:03 AM

Correct. The huge downside on this TV is the sound.

But FOR ME it hasn't been a huge deal since I have a polk audio setup on an Onkyo 606...so yeah. I hope everyone out there can atleast afford a decent HTIB for 99-150 to improve the sound.
post #197 of 301 Old 11-28-2009, 02:42 PM
Advanced Member

Any know for sure if this is using 8 or 10 bit panel? Sent ???? to Sharp customer service on thursday and havent got back yet.
post #198 of 301 Old 11-28-2009, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbicich View Post

Any know for sure if this is using 8 or 10 bit panel? Sent ???? to Sharp customer service on thursday and havent got back yet.

I would be interested to hear if this set uses an 8 or 10 bit panel so please share what customer service tells you when they do finally reply. The 8/ 10 bit demo is definitely simulated and all the 2009 sets share the same firmware so they all have the demo installed but this doesnt neccessarily guarantee that the set uses a 10 bit panel.
post #199 of 301 Old 11-29-2009, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cris619 View Post

Correct. The huge downside on this TV is the sound.

But FOR ME it hasn't been a huge deal since I have a polk audio setup on an Onkyo 606...so yeah. I hope everyone out there can atleast afford a decent HTIB for 99-150 to improve the sound.

I'm already over budget for the TV. I went to WM planning to get the 46" but switched lines and spent the extra $200 for the 52" after comparing the display models. As I said in my first post, this is just a bedroom TV so I really don't want to add a sound system to it. I'm surprised that many consider the sound to be just fine. Some consumer reviews have rated it 5 stars. I need to find out if my unit is typical or defective. WM wants me to exchange it for another but it's not worth the trouble if they're all that way. I'd like to hear more about the sound quality from other owners.
post #200 of 301 Old 11-29-2009, 12:06 PM

Quote:

I will take a stab at trying to help:

You need a thumbdrive. If you read this thread from the beginning there are fairly detailed instructions on how to update the firmware. Dont get ahead of yourself though... check the sets firmware when you receive it as there is a chance it already has the most recent version installed.

You need to attach the stand to the TV but it is not difficult to do.

The TV has a pc input with DVI and VGA ports. PC audio input is via a 3.5mm stereo jack. To get sound from your PC to the TV you will need a 3.5mm stereo cable (like a headphone cable) with a male connector on both ends. If you dont have one already you can get one at radioshack.

Thanks, how does this "DVI and VGA ports" work with my PC? I have 5850 video card that has HDMI as well as DVI. I understand the 3.5mm thing. But what do I do with the DVI and HDMI?

What is a VGA? Is that on the TV?

I think you know what I am asking--how do I hook up my PC and get sound through the TV?
post #201 of 301 Old 11-29-2009, 05:24 PM
Advanced Member

So if you guys could exchange the 46 inch for the 46 of the Toshiba Regza 46XV645 even up would you do it. Im thinkin on doin the exchange, mine is still in box and Walmart is just down the street so no big deal. Any real problems with this Sharp yet or customer service?
post #202 of 301 Old 11-29-2009, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RR404 View Post

I'm already over budget for the TV. I went to WM planning to get the 46" but switched lines and spent the extra $200 for the 52" after comparing the display models. As I said in my first post, this is just a bedroom TV so I really don't want to add a sound system to it. I'm surprised that many consider the sound to be just fine. Some consumer reviews have rated it 5 stars. I need to find out if my unit is typical or defective. WM wants me to exchange it for another but it's not worth the trouble if they're all that way. I'd like to hear more about the sound quality from other owners.

The sound is more then fine. And its not your tv. I am guessing you are using cable. Ok here is the deal, with TW cable at least, you have to set the box up. In other words, on option is this, turn the cable box volume to the max, then just use the tv remote to change the volume of the tv.

On the cable box there is an option in the setting for volume out put. There is fixed and variable. Fixed leaves teh cable box on its own and i use the tv remote to change the TV volume, has nothing to do with the calbe box.

Or you can change the option to variable, and then you can see the level that the cable box is putting out for the volume. I hope this helps. Its not the tv, actually the tv is quite loud if you want it. So it the settings on your cable box or sat box, what ever you have. I have nothing but glowing reviews for the tv. If anything call you cable or sat provider and have them walk you through it.
post #203 of 301 Old 11-29-2009, 11:16 PM

Quote:

I would be interested to hear if this set uses an 8 or 10 bit panel so please share what customer service tells you when they do finally reply. The 8/ 10 bit demo is definitely simulated and all the 2009 sets share the same firmware so they all have the demo installed but this doesnt neccessarily guarantee that the set uses a 10 bit panel.

At this point does it even really matter, for the price what does it matter you cant get this size for this price period. So just enjoy the tv you know? and besdies its still garbage in garbage out from the signal you are using. I was watching celtic woman the other night in hd and i saw banding all over the place, as did some other people some who have 8 and 10 bit, it was the signal that was going out. So don't worry about it.
post #204 of 301 Old 12-01-2009, 01:32 AM
Advanced Member

So most people with this set have had it for 2-3 weeks......what are your impressions so far?
post #205 of 301 Old 12-02-2009, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbicich View Post

So most people with this set have had it for 2-3 weeks......what are your impressions so far?

I am also wondering what others think. Also wondering if someone has updated their calibration lately
post #206 of 301 Old 12-03-2009, 06:26 AM

I just updated my LC 52SB57UN from T0907071 to the new version T0909251 and I think it does improve the performance of 1080i signal from my dish HD receiver.
What the website says about the update.

This firmware update improves performance on some digital and analog channels as well as improving performance of 1080i/720p signals via HDMI.

This update includes all previous fixes and improvements.

The S0905201 version looks to still be the same version for the people who own that type. I think this just updates the T0907071 version to match your version.

I am very pleased with my TV this was a great buy. James
post #207 of 301 Old 12-03-2009, 06:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esmalley007 View Post

I am also wondering what others think. Also wondering if someone has updated their calibration lately

I have decided to keep the 46" version. I am impressed that the set contains the entire Sharp feature range considering it is a budget model and not an Aquos. Usually the budget models have gimped firmware but this model does not as it has 120hz, motion interpolation (film mode low or high) and optical picture control (automatic backlight dimming based on room lighting levels). And enough HDMI ports (4) to future proof it decently... the 32" it is replacing that is 2 years old has one HDMI port and one Component and it is a giant PITA. I would not even consider a TV with less than 2 HDMI and 2 component after that experience and having to purchase component and HDMI switchers.

I am also impressed that the panel is an ASV/Black panel and not a cheap IPS panel manufactured by one of the chinese companies rather than Sharp themselves. 2 years ago this panel in this size was $6000. True, it may not perform as well as Sharps latest ASV panels which are thinner (super luminescent) but I doubt I would notice much of a difference and even if I did, it would not be worth the extra $600 to purchase the equivalent Aquos model with the newer ASV panel.

I noticed that Sharp have added an SB 57" model to their website recently. This DOES appear to use a non-sharp panel as it is not listed as ASV in the specs.
post #208 of 301 Old 12-03-2009, 08:51 AM

Just bought this 52" a couple of weeks ago. Does anyone know about audio issues? About 3 times now the audio hasn't come on when I turned the TV on.thx
post #209 of 301 Old 12-03-2009, 11:47 AM

Has anyone had any issues with the HDMI inputs? Everything goes into my receiver and then one HDMI cable to input 5. When I first purchased the TV and would turn it on, the picture and sound would not come on. I unplugged the HDMI cable and plugged it back in and everything worked fine. This happened several times but went away until yesterday.
Before this TV, I had a 42" Sharp and never had problems.
post #210 of 301 Old 12-03-2009, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nola4130 View Post

Has anyone had any issues with the HDMI inputs? Everything goes into my receiver and then one HDMI cable to input 5. When I first purchased the TV and would turn it on, the picture and sound would not come on. I unplugged the HDMI cable and plugged it back in and everything worked fine. This happened several times but went away until yesterday.
Before this TV, I had a 42" Sharp and never had problems.

ARGGGGH!! i thought i was the only one having 'handshake' hdmi issues! i also have an onkyo 606 (hdmi) and have my blu-ray/cable box going into the receiver and one hdmi from receiver to my TV and _SOMETIMES_ the Sharp doesn't recognize the HDMI so i have to unplug the TV and plug it back in and it'll work.

i hope the new firmware that was just released fixes this...will try later tonight and report back. (won't be 'til 10pm PST)
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Sharp

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page