Forum Jump: 

post #61 of 113 Old 01-17-2010, 08:04 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoyoms View Post

i was thinking about getting this to use with a wii, have a small space for it. The price seems right is this a good buy for this type of use?

Can't imagine why not, particularly since wii isn't hi-def (only 480p).

Rob Robinson
Pain makes man think . . . thought makes man wise . . . wisdom makes life endurable.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 113 Old 01-27-2010, 09:30 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob2NY View Post

Can't imagine why not, particularly since wii isn't hi-def (only 480p).

Is this thread still alive? I want to buy this t.v. like, right now, hah. I most the thread and it seems perfect for my monitor.

Does anyone else have suggestions or links on where to find this in Canada?

Is there anything else good in this price range? This seems to be the best deal for a monitor right now.

Thanks.
post #63 of 113 Old 01-27-2010, 10:01 PM

Best Buy sells an Insignia that's nice too;
http://insigniaproducts.com/products...22E430A10.html

One nice thing about the Vizio is that it has a built in QAM decoder so I can watch HD DTV signals without paying for cable service!

Read more about that here;
http://www.hdtvtunerinfo.com/hdtvpctunerqam.html
post #64 of 113 Old 01-28-2010, 05:10 AM
AVS Special Member

This is a very nce looking TV. I'd really like to see this in a 26" size however. I'm sure Vizio will come out with one.
post #65 of 113 Old 01-28-2010, 11:05 AM

By the way, take the customer reviews on the Vizio with a pinch of salt.
I gave them a good review but mentioned the communications problem regarding the flash drive for the PLT and they decided not to publish my comment.
post #66 of 113 Old 01-28-2010, 12:30 PM

Anyone else have a problem with the menu randomly popping on and off the screen while watching TV?

Any ideas why this is happening or how to fix it?
post #67 of 113 Old 02-02-2010, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndb3 View Post

Anyone else have a problem with the menu randomly popping on and off the screen while watching TV?

Any ideas why this is happening or how to fix it?

I had this problem (menu popping out every 30 seconds) the other day while i was watching tv and folding clothes at the same time. Since this menu was to be activated upon touch sensing i figured i was somehow changing the capacitance near the sensor. One possible culprit was the pile of clothes with all the static. Luckily the problem went away after i've folded my clothes and put them away, or else, i was about to talk off my fleece. LOL. Long story short -- try not generating too much static charge near the TV.
post #68 of 113 Old 02-02-2010, 04:27 PM

Does anyone have the calibrated picture settings for this puppy?
Appreciate it if you could share.
post #69 of 113 Old 02-02-2010, 06:03 PM

Warning. These sets have a tinny sound to them. I ending up getting a Sony so I could hear more dialog. For these smaller tvs, I think sound clarity is as important as contrast.
post #70 of 113 Old 02-03-2010, 12:56 PM
Advanced Member

Got one for my son's bedroom TV a few days back. We are using the flash drive for pausing the TV (it's a mini-DVR ). Works pretty well for pausing a bit. The navigation to catch back up and to skip commercials is pretty jerky, but for the price, how can you complain about it?

Jeff
post #71 of 113 Old 02-03-2010, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meadowblue View Post

Does anyone have the calibrated picture settings for this puppy?
Appreciate it if you could share.

Someone posted their personal settings in another thread...

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...light=vm230xvt
post #72 of 113 Old 02-03-2010, 11:05 PM

Liked: 11
How dark is the optical coating on the glass?
post #73 of 113 Old 02-05-2010, 07:46 AM
Advanced Member

I have played with settings for several days with this set. A number of people get these home and complain about the color looking yellowed, etc. So, I tried the settings linked in the thread above but the resulting picture was way too green and yellowed out for me as well. I placed the Vizio next to my calibrated Pioneer KURO in the family room and worked for about an hour to get the same look for colors, brightness, etc. This got me in the ballpark at least. Then I used the Digital Video Essentials for final adjustments in my son's bedroom where the Vizio will be placed. The set ( at least this particular set ) had a huge green push so I had to reduce the green gain quite a bit to even begin to dial it in.

Here are my settings:

Ambient: off
Backlight: 70
Brightness: 34
Contrast: 54
Color: 59
Tint: 0
Sharpness: 25
Noise reduction: high
Color temp: custom
Red Gain: 47
Green Gain: 38
Blue Gain: 45
Color Enhancement: on
Adaptive luma: on
DCR: on

Jeff
post #74 of 113 Old 02-15-2010, 09:50 AM

I just picked up one of these and I have two issues. Don't know if they are related to my set or common issues:

1) Last button rarely goes to previous channels. Normally it goes to the channel before the previous (2x previous). Kinda a pain.
2) Since its a bedroom TV, it needs quiet volume for when my wife is sleeping and I am watching. It goes just quiet enough at 1 (0-100 range), but from 4-100 it appears to not get much louder (may be SRStruvolume?)
post #75 of 113 Old 02-16-2010, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhatheadWRX View Post

I just picked up one of these and I have two issues. Don't know if they are related to my set or common issues:

1) Last button rarely goes to previous channels. Normally it goes to the channel before the previous (2x previous). Kinda a pain.
2) Since its a bedroom TV, it needs quiet volume for when my wife is sleeping and I am watching. It goes just quiet enough at 1 (0-100 range), but from 4-100 it appears to not get much louder (may be SRStruvolume?)

1) I cannot comment, since I am using my D* remote. Previous channel button works fine on that though.

2) We have it in our bedroom as well, and have noticed the same volume situation.

20Fan
Ohio State Buckeyes- GO BUCKS !

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #76 of 113 Old 02-19-2010, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffden View Post

I have played with settings for several days with this set. A number of people get these home and complain about the color looking yellowed, etc. So, I tried the settings linked in the thread above but the resulting picture was way too green and yellowed out for me as well. I placed the Vizio next to my calibrated Pioneer KURO in the family room and worked for about an hour to get the same look for colors, brightness, etc. This got me in the ballpark at least. Then I used the Digital Video Essentials for final adjustments in my son's bedroom where the Vizio will be placed. The set ( at least this particular set ) had a huge green push so I had to reduce the green gain quite a bit to even begin to dial it in.

Here are my settings:

Ambient: off
Backlight: 70
Brightness: 34
Contrast: 54
Color: 59
Tint: 0
Sharpness: 25
Noise reduction: high
Color temp: custom
Red Gain: 47
Green Gain: 38
Blue Gain: 45
Color Enhancement: on
Adaptive luma: on
DCR: on

Jeffden - thanks for the settings. I've been struggling with the yellow/green hues on my 19" Razor for the past few weeks. Your settings are definitely an improvement and I recommend that others give them a try . . . . and please post any tweaks that you might have.
post #77 of 113 Old 03-01-2010, 03:32 PM

Looking at possibly adding some external speakers for my bedroom setup (2ch). Anyone using external speakers want to post what they are using?

20Fan
Ohio State Buckeyes- GO BUCKS !

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #78 of 113 Old 03-05-2010, 08:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I purchased the 19" version back in January. I had it connected to Comcast DVR through HDMI port 1. After about 3 weeks, all of a sudden the TV states "Incompatible Signal" I plug it into port 2 and it worked fine. So I tested port 1 on some other HDMI sources and it wouldn't work. So I returned the set and got another one. Plugged it into HDMI 1. It worked for about 2 weeks and then got the same message "incompatible signal". I plugged it into port 2, work for about 2 weeks and again crapped out. I tried connecting it to other HDMI components and it's a crap shoot on whether it works or not. Some do and some don't.

What is going on with the HDMI ports on this TV. I have 4 other Vizio TVs and never had this problem. I'm still within the 90 days to return it but I sure would like to get one that works.

Anyone else having issues like this?

Sorry, just checked the message says Invalid Format.
post #79 of 113 Old 03-05-2010, 08:53 AM

So far no problems at all with our the missus' 19" version but, then again, she's only had it since the holidays and we've only been up to our place in VT where it's installed a couple of times since New Year's, so it's only been used for a total of maybe 10-12 hours at most. Will definitely keep an eye on it and report if we also encounter any similar problems with the HDMI inputs.

Rob Robinson
Pain makes man think . . . thought makes man wise . . . wisdom makes life endurable.
post #80 of 113 Old 03-05-2010, 08:54 PM

I have the 23" version hooked up to my PC via HDMI, Comcast raw cable (QAM) and Comcast STB via HDMI. Pictures great and sound is fine since I have it on my desk not 40 inches from me. I have hooked the digital audio out to my receiver for those special shows that need serious audio.

The intriguing thing about this TV is the PlayTV feature. I didn't know it was a mini-DVR when I bought it. After trying a couple of the flash drives that I had laying around I found out that "slow" flash drives only result in pixelated stuttering pictures. Bought a Patriot Memory Xporter XT (200x) and that works fine. Unfortunately this feature only works on the raw cable feed. No love on the HDMI inputs.

Also a bit of a bummer that it won't sleep (when my system sleeps) only a blue screen and "No Signal" text floating around.

In general I'm very pleased - lots of tech for $319.
post #81 of 113 Old 03-18-2010, 08:54 AM

We are thinking of buying the VM230XVT for our dining/kitchen area set. It will replace a 19" seven year old LCD ED Zenith that still is really a great TV but is getting demoted to our guest bedroom. I have some questions I am hoping to find some help with.

1 - Does this TV have the standard four screw mounting configuration for use with an articulated wall mount? The pictures I have seen make it look like the table base is non removable and integrated into the case.

2 - The old Zenith is an ED (480p) TV provides an excellent SD picture. The VM230XVT, as is the Zenith, will be connected directly to the cable (no cable box) so we will be watching either HD QAM local channels or SD programming. Will the SD programming appear at least as good as it now does on the 480p Zenith?

3 - There have been many comments on this forum and elsewhere about the less than great audio. Is this just due to crappy speakers meaning we can get decent audio by connecting it to external speakers? This is extremely important to us as I do not have good hearing and a "tinny" sound, as has been reported elsewhere, will make it hard to understand dialog.

Opinions would be welcome.
post #82 of 113 Old 03-18-2010, 09:13 AM
Advanced Member

RhoXS, the base is user installed with a thumbscrew and not permanently attached. I am not at home now to check, but I seem to recall from the manual it is a standard configuration for mounting.

The sound is not good if using the two back firing 5w speakers on the set, but it does work fine with external audio. My significant other uses the Vizio soundbar and my son has it hooked to his Onkyo AVR and sound is fine.

Jeff
post #83 of 113 Old 03-18-2010, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RhoXS View Post

1 - Does this TV have the standard four screw mounting configuration for use with an articulated wall mount? The pictures I have seen make it look like the table base is non removable and integrated into the case.

Yes, the base is removable and it has a standard VESA mounting setup for use with a wall mount.

Rob Robinson
post #84 of 113 Old 03-18-2010, 09:37 AM

Thanks for the quick responses. I appreciate the effort. I also just found a picture showing the VESA mounting on the back.

So now the remaining question. Will an SD signal source appear at least as good as it now does on our 19" 480p TV?

My wife is on her way to BJs now and will probably buy one anyway. I would prefer to have some feel for this before we take it out of the box and discover we are better off with the existing TV. Except for evening news around dinner time, everything else this TV will display will probably be SD sources.
post #85 of 113 Old 03-18-2010, 11:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I have the 19” version and I have tinnitus so sound is sometimes difficult for me too. But I found that the sound is adequate for the viewing I do on it. It’s certainly not sound you would want to watch a good movie on but for news broadcasts mine is fine. You can adjust the treble and bass (what there is) on it. You can’t expect much on a set that small but I’m happy with it.
post #86 of 113 Old 03-26-2010, 12:14 AM

One Question Does this 23 inch lcd have uneven Back lighting and/or flashlighting?? Plan on usin it 4 games..Have a 46 in samsung but it got BAD light leakage issues (a650) Thank you..
post #87 of 113 Old 03-29-2010, 11:11 PM

Bump
post #88 of 113 Old 04-05-2010, 06:33 PM

Can we use the low profile mount with this tv? Planning on just hooking it up with an OTA antenna and the power source. Can you recommend one on monoprice?
Andrew
post #89 of 113 Old 04-22-2010, 06:33 AM
bww

There were some comments that the initial run of VM230xvt was flawed in some way and they were dated 11/09, however there was a later run in 2/10 that fixed some problems.

I was looking at one at Sam's Club both the box and the unit itself but I could not find a date of manufacture, does anyone know where it is located???
post #90 of 113 Old 04-22-2010, 06:34 AM
bww

I looked at the sd output and it seemed acceptable
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page