Clouds? What is normal/acceptable? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 11-15-2009, 12:03 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
My new Sharp TV seems to have a certain amount of clouding (and slight vertical bars) (not backlight bleed) across the screen.
It is only visible in the dark, and looks far worse if I up the backlight.

If I adjust the brightness up sightly and put the backlight to minimum, it hides the clouds/bars about 95%... but I feel I shouldn't have to do this.

Am I just being fussy? Do most LCDs have these kinds of blemishes in the dark? What are the chances of getting a TV with these problems? Should I expect a replacement TV of the same model to likely have the same problems?

I have already been though 3 other replacements (different models) for stuck pixels. I'm getting fed up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 11-15-2009, 06:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 19
honestly, if i saw ANY clouding in my set, i would get it fixed. you paid good money for your set, and should not have to "live with a few defects". if its under warranty, get it fixed.
post #3 of 10 Old 11-15-2009, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by x0avs View Post

My new Sharp TV seems to have a certain amount of clouding (and slight vertical bars) (not backlight bleed) across the screen.
It is only visible in the dark, and looks far worse if I up the backlight.

If I adjust the brightness up sightly and put the backlight to minimum, it hides the clouds/bars about 95%... but I feel I shouldn't have to do this.

Am I just being fussy? Do most LCDs have these kinds of blemishes in the dark? What are the chances of getting a TV with these problems? Should I expect a replacement TV of the same model to likely have the same problems?

I have already been though 3 other replacements (different models) for stuck pixels. I'm getting fed up.

I have been struggling with the same question and decided to return a Samsung B630 with some clouding in the upper and lower left corners. This was my second Samsung with this problem. A little clouding is considered "normal" by some people, but I've decided that anything noticeable on the screen that isn't generated by the source material is a defect. Period. I fiddled with lowering the backlight to minimize the clouding until I lost all shadow detail. But I had to face the fact that the TV was faulty. Maybe 9 out of 10 are like this, but I don't think we should put up with it, and since there are sets out there with NO clouding, this is clearly a quality control issue.

I've been in the mood to give up, too, but I'm going with a Vizio 421XVT from Costco for one last try. I haven't noticed many complaints about clouding with this brand, and the XVT series has been getting excellent reviews for picture quality. They're also relatively inexpensive, and this might make sense until the bugs are worked out of this technology.

Plasma is another alternative. No clouding. But you get shiny, reflective glass and inaccurate color in less expensive sets such as the Panasonic G10.

Let us know what you decide.
post #4 of 10 Old 11-15-2009, 06:22 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sitlet View Post

honestly, if i saw any clouding in my set, i would get it fixed. You paid good money for your set, and should not have to "live with a few defects". If its under warranty, get it fixed.

+10000

PN58B860

TCP50GT50

post #5 of 10 Old 11-16-2009, 08:31 PM

None.
post #6 of 10 Old 11-24-2009, 11:25 PM

Gentlepeople,

Could someone give me the cliff notes version of whether clouding/flashlight/backlight bleeding is unavoidable?

Argument: on a laptop screen, on a perfectly black screen in the pitch dark, my vaunted macbook pro has some minor bleeding. In fact I'd venture to say that I've never seen a screen that doesn't have perfection.

Or are there models that are known not to have this issue? I really want a Sony or Samsung--but could someone point me to models where I'm not going to have these issues? Does that even exist?
post #7 of 10 Old 11-25-2009, 08:36 AM

Hello,

I just found this website (and the mountain of available information) after searching over the internet about a recurrent problem I experienced with HDTVs: backlight leakage. I can not confirm that all LCD HDTVs have clouding/flashlighting at a certain degree, but here is my little story.

I believe I am a very patient individual, and I really wanted to get a cloud free / flashlight free HDTV because it annoys me to no end, so I decided to return problematic HDTVs to the store until I found one perfect. However, it still has not happen and in the last 3 weeks, I have been through 10 HDTVs (ten, not a typo). I bought/exchanged 3 SONY 40V5100 that had very bad flashlighting in the two top corners. After the third return I decided to give a try with the Samsung LN40B610. I have been through 4 Samsungs, all with flashlights in the bottom corners, and two of them had very bad clouding and viewing angle, as if the LCD panel was not the same as the one used in the others.

Finally, I tried 3 SONY 40W5100, having been told that the screen uniformity was better on this model (it is indeed the case). The first one had flashlight in the two top corners, but no clouding, and the top of bezel was scratched (built August 2009). I returned it for another 40W5100. The replacement had the same flashlights in the top corners, but the worse was the clouding all over the screen and the blueish/purple tint of the screen as soon as I was a little off axis. I have a very hard time to believe the panel was the same as that of the first one I got. The built date was July 2009. Finally, I brought pictures where I bought it and I got another replacement, as I was told by the seller that the amount of clouding and flashlighting was not acceptable. Believe it or not, the new 40W5100 has a flashlight in the top right corner, and the top of the bezel was scratched in two places out of the box. I think I'm running out of steam now, and I think I am going to live with it (try at the least).

And by the way my backlight level is set at 2-3, with brightness set to 50.

The baseline is this, if any of you got hand on a SONY or SAMSUNG set that has NO flashlighting at all, I think you may definitely consider yourself a lucky person.
post #8 of 10 Old 11-25-2009, 08:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 216 Post(s)
Liked: 214
i read that all LCDtv's 40inch and above have clouding(mura) maybe you do not see it but it is there.my XBR has clouding in the upper left/upper right side,that's normal(they say its normal to me it is insain).i have bought a 32inch philips 2 years ago there was a lot of clouding in the middle of the sceen ,they gave me another LCD. you can go back to the store,they will send a service-man,he can tell you if the clouding is nomal/out of proportion.the least you can do is go back to the store and confront them.people in tv-stores wil always pretend that the never have heard of clouding there is to much money at stake.
post #9 of 10 Old 11-25-2009, 09:01 AM

Seriously, this is a good thread, I think it is almost impossible to get an LCD with no sign of flashlighting on a 52"+.
post #10 of 10 Old 11-25-2009, 09:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 216 Post(s)
Liked: 214
you can coverup the upper left and upper right side and watch tv in 14:9 mode.the SONY XBR is a great tv....it aint gone be much better than that the next five years.you have to make the best of what you got
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page