Does Samsung make Insignia's sets? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 17 Old 11-25-2009, 11:57 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Per subject, several Best Buy employees have told me Insignia's made by Samsung. Is there any substance to these claims?

I am also curious about who manufactures Dynex TVs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 11-26-2009, 01:26 AM

If I remember correctly, Samsung makes a lot of LCD panels and the lower-quality ones they sell to "no-name" companies/brands, so this could be true.

Don't quote me on that though.
post #3 of 17 Old 11-26-2009, 03:19 AM
Advanced Member

I think Best Buy uses different manufacturers for different models of their inhouse Insignia and Dynex brands.

I'm not sure that Samsung is one of them though. I beleive they have used Orion, Xoceco, and maybe also Funai for their LCD TVs.
post #4 of 17 Old 11-26-2009, 07:25 AM
AVS Special Member

A best buy employee may tell you anything to get you to buy a set.
post #5 of 17 Old 11-26-2009, 02:33 PM
AVS Special Member

post #6 of 17 Old 11-26-2009, 03:00 PM

insignia's are def. made my LG. However, they use much lower end panels. Best Buy employees are a joke who know nothing about the products they sell.
post #7 of 17 Old 11-26-2009, 05:54 PM

Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by knivesout View Post

Per subject, several Best Buy employees have told me Insignia's made by Samsung. Is there any substance to these claims?

I am also curious about who manufactures Dynex TVs.

Depends on the model, I believe. Some are Samsung, some are LG and etc.

There are only a handful of panel producer and a handful of actual production companies who build according to spec and stick a brand name on the end product. Many brands are built in the same, giant factory somewhere in the jungle of SE Asia.
post #8 of 17 Old 11-26-2009, 07:24 PM

I work at BB, I would never make that claim, althought I do believe that the Insignia Plasma may have parts from Samsung, if you look at the touch buttons, they are exactly the same as as last years Samsung plasma. Are the panels exactly the same, I dunno, but I wouldn't doubt it. But lets not lump all of us BB employees in the same boat. I don't lie, if I don't know a question, I will honestly answer, and personally, I have no clue if any of LG/Samsung/Sony make any of our TVs.
post #9 of 17 Old 11-26-2009, 08:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
It's very common for panels to be made by Samsung or LG no matter what name is on the set. The digital boards/power supplies are different than the name brand sets. On plasmas the power supply/X & Y drivers/buffers are made by the same company who made the panel, only the digital boards and possibly logic boards are different.

Different Samsung model# extensions sometimes take different panels such as the XXA/SP01 etc. Sometimes Samsung will sub replacement panels and we will have to change an option code in the service menu to make it compatible with the different panel.
post #10 of 17 Old 11-27-2009, 09:14 PM

Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 134
And the TVs are put together by same handful of "electronic manufacturing services" providers like Foxconn (Hon Hai), Flextronics, etc.

I read some posts denigrating a particular TV brand (I think it was Dynex) for being made by Hon Hai...well, guess what, LG is made by Hon Hai too; and so's your iPod and iPhone.

There are only a handful of parts makers and a handful of manufacturers. It is difficult to say one brand is "better" than the other. Samsung and Sony TVs use the same panels (since they co-own a panel maker) and are probably put together in the same factory. The difference would be some video processing parts. Since Samsung and Sony are about 80 - 90% identical, the reliability rate would be similar too and I believe that is proven in various surveys and polls.

The point is that first tier brands are pretty much similar. You should let your personal (i.e. picture, convenience feature, etc.) preference be your guide and don't worry about minute perceived differences.
post #11 of 17 Old 12-13-2009, 03:08 AM

Samy does make insignia. Go to bestbuy's site and a take a look at the 360 views of the Samsung pn50b550 and compare it to the 360 view of the Insignia NS-P502Q. Through the back venting, you can see identicle internal configs among other things. It's funny though, because bestbuy has the insignia listed for the same price?! good marketing?! By the way, the pn50b550 has great picture quality - if anyone cares and doesn't mind some temp image retention.
post #12 of 17 Old 12-13-2009, 04:26 AM

I was at BB last week and an employee told me that Insignia sets are made by LG. Go figure.
post #13 of 17 Old 12-13-2009, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cram10 View Post

Best Buy employees are a joke who know nothing about the products they sell.

Not 100% true.
post #14 of 17 Old 12-14-2009, 05:53 PM
Advanced Member

The Insignia NS-L46X-10A set is made by LG, and has a PQ right up there with anything being made today, plus a swivel stand, 5 HDMI inputs, and a headphone output. HOWEVER, it had such a horrible A/V sync problem, I had to return it.

"If at first you don't succeed......reboot"
B630/B640/B650 Owners Manual
post #15 of 17 Old 12-14-2009, 06:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apostate View Post

And the TVs are put together by same handful of "electronic manufacturing services" providers like Foxconn (Hon Hai), Flextronics, etc.

I read some posts denigrating a particular TV brand (I think it was Dynex) for being made by Hon Hai...well, guess what, LG is made by Hon Hai too; and so's your iPod and iPhone.

There are only a handful of parts makers and a handful of manufacturers. It is difficult to say one brand is "better" than the other. Samsung and Sony TVs use the same panels (since they co-own a panel maker) and are probably put together in the same factory. The difference would be some video processing parts. Since Samsung and Sony are about 80 - 90% identical, the reliability rate would be similar too and I believe that is proven in various surveys and polls.

The point is that first tier brands are pretty much similar. You should let your personal (i.e. picture, convenience feature, etc.) preference be your guide and don't worry about minute perceived differences.

Sony and Samsung are NOT 80 - 90% identical. The boards are completely different. Samsung DOES build Sony's panels but the panels are different part numbers and have different connectors.
post #16 of 17 Old 12-15-2009, 03:24 AM

There may be some off brand TV's made by Samsung and LG, but they can be made by many different manufacturers. Also, don't let the panel manufacturer be confused with who makes the rest of the set. LG and Samsung are huge panel manufacturers and many brands use their panels.
post #17 of 17 Old 12-15-2009, 03:38 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
FYI allot of no name brand LCD panels also are are made by LG Philips.

The panel assembly (Panel itself, Tcon and backlight assembly) comes as a pre-assembled unit. It's up to the third party to add the case, motherboard, speakers and other stuff.

Although, it wouldn't surprise me if Samsung sold yesteryear's cases to Insignia.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays