need owners input on 40" 700UN and 7000 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 1 Old 12-01-2009, 09:03 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi everyone

I’m looking to get a 40”. Right now it’s a toss between Sharp 700UN and Sammy 7000. Originally LG SL90 and Sony xbr9 were in the mix, but they both dropped out for various reasons: Sony was not an LED and failed to impress me in person at BB, LG has bad reviews regarding off-angle viewing and also didn’t shine as far as picture quality albeit none of the screens I’ve looked at in person were even remotely tweaked or calibrated.

The choice between 700UN and 7000 for me boils down to this:

Sharp - has a horrible IMO image grain, similar to what early day ink-jet printers did to the photographs and smooth mid tone gradients especially.
A lot of people don’t see it, but the same people praise plasmas for image quality, which I don’t agree with.
I’m not just looking for a good color gamut that to me should be a given with any quality equipment with some tuning applied. What I’m looking for is an image that’s easy on the eyes, tamed and realistic, smooth and detailed at the same time, with no noise in the solid color fields and gradients, well … like a good computer LCD.
Sharp’s offset cell structure makes it look too much like an old TV for my taste, with the dancing little silver dust particles sprinkled gently over the image. Part of the problem is that I’m intentionally violating all the rules of viewing distance. My setup will be ok for a 40” screen provided I sit back on the couch, but I never do that! Playing with the kid on the floor puts me at 3 feet away or closer and that’s how I watch TV 90% of the time.

I’m looking for someone who owns a 40” 700UN and knows what “noise” I’m talking about to tell me far they have to step back from the screen to stop seeing it. I know it’s very subjective, but it’s better than nothing. So far I can only find 52” ones in stores and smaller TV always have “cleaner” images because of less spacing between the cells.

Samsung – floored me with the picture quality! I love the gradients, I love the smoothness, I love the fact that it does look a lot like a computer display and doesn’t hurt my eyes when I watch it from 2 feet away. I also love the de-judder that makes choppy movies look like videos while pissing of all the hard core conservative “experts” (by the way I’m sure when color photography started their kind was moaning about how color photos look closer to oil paintings rather than their precious B&W photos ). All in all I’d get one in a heart beat if I acted on my emotions alone.
But … everywhere I go to check reviews on 6000 and 7000 series I meet with “clouding” sometimes to the point of “flashlighting”, and that is not something I’m willing to put up with. From my experience on computer end of displays unlike wine they don’t get better with time. And poor quality and backlighting artifacts shortens their usable life expectancy significantly.

I forgot to mention, I want the new TV to last for 10 years so the next one I buy comes “pre-mixed” on a paint roll and the installation instruction says ” Apply gently the a wall of you choice” then skips right to the calibration chapter for the bio-feedback remote controller.
In that aspect Sammy sounds like a crap shoot to me.

Are there Sammy 7000 owners out there who don’t have ANY clouding at all with black screen content?

thanks and sorry for the long post!
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page