Official Mitsubishi Unisen LT-XX249 Owners Thread - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 28 Old 12-05-2009, 04:36 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
friedman232's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 149
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I've been stalking this TV (Mitsubishi Unisen LT-46249) for almost a year now. Finally took delivery last night. Purchased from OneCall.com as part of a promotion where they were including a Blu-Ray player and a wireless sub (which basically amounted to a $300 credit that they said I could take in lieu of the items if I wanted).

I was attracted to this set for two primary reasons:
  • Thin bezel allowed me a 46" screen in a built in bookshelf
  • built in sound bar provided extra oomph with little hassle

This set is for my bedroom. Wasn't going to be practical to do a full surround setup (what I mean is "no way in hell wife would allow it"). So, sound bar became my best hope and when I found a set with it built in, even better. I plan to add the wireless sub under my bed and that should really enhance things.

Set arrived safely and I did the bare minimum to get it hooked up (sitting on floor). Couple observations about the set in general:
  • the color of the sound bar has a gradient which goes from black to silver. You can see this here: In the picture, it looks like a reflection (just as you see one in a few places on the bezel). However, I am here to tell everyone, it is a damn gradient. Disappointing to discover from an aesthetic standpoint. However, my wife and I both work in the design industry so we may be a bit outside the norm and overly critical.
  • For those of you interested in this set because of it's extreme thin bezel, i found two width measurements online. One quoted 42" and the other 42 1/8". My opening was approximately 42 1/4 or perhaps slightly more (crazy, i know). So i was VERY concerned about the accuracy of that dimension. Upon a rudimentary test and quick measure, it appears as though the width is 42" (almost felt less).

    Also, please note that unlike most sets where the bezel is the widest point and then things taper off quickly as you go back, this set is equally wide pretty much for several inches of its depth. You can see that here: . I'm not sure yet but it's possible that it gets a little wider about an inch or so back than it is at the front of the bezel. If so, you're talking about 1/8 or maybe even 1/16 of an inch. Worth noting though for people with very limited space.

I've always bragged that you can find 50 pages of info on anything in AVS-Forum but clearly that is not the case here! Hopefully more folks emerge. One big deal for me was finally getting to see the set at a Best Buy here in Atlanta. They had a 52" version setup in their Magnolia "high end speaker/receiver room". The set has a Mitsubishi provided big red button sitting next to it enticing you to watch a demo. I went in, pushed the button and was amazed at the audio performance. I think that was the clincher for me because it confirmed the legitimacy (in terms of both quality and volume) of their soundbar.


Hope to hear more from others soon and I will try to post other observations as I get further along with the set.

Ben

Ben Friedman
ben@ben.org
friedman232 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 28 Old 12-05-2009, 08:07 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
dad1153's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 34,645
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 161
Good luck with your new Mitsu HDTV Ben. Back in '07 it came down to either an Olevia 747i or the then-current Mitsubishi LCD models (Mitsubishi LT-46131/46231), and I went with the Olevia (which is still going strong today, although a little too 'banded' for my taste). Ability to do Picture-in-Picture (PIP) is important in my daily TV viewing and both the 747i and Mitsu were the only HDTV's in the market that could pull it off. Can you tell me if this LT-XX249 model continues to support PIP and/or do at least decent split-screen with 1080p sources? Should my 747i eventually crap out I will be on the market for a PIP-friendly HDTV, and would like to know if Mitsubishi has kept that technology included in recent models or has given up on it. Thanks!
dad1153 is offline  
post #3 of 28 Old 12-05-2009, 09:48 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
friedman232's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 149
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
pretty sure they've given up on PIP.

Ben Friedman
ben@ben.org
friedman232 is offline  
post #4 of 28 Old 12-05-2009, 11:42 AM
Senior Member
 
paul416's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 444
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by dad1153 View Post

Good luck with your new Mitsu HDTV Ben. Back in '07 it came down to either an Olevia 747i or the then-current Mitsubishi LCD models (Mitsubishi LT-46131/46231), and I went with the Olevia (which is still going strong today, although a little too 'banded' for my taste). Ability to do Picture-in-Picture (PIP) is important in my daily TV viewing and both the 747i and Mitsu were the only HDTV's in the market that could pull it off. Can you tell me if this LT-XX249 model continues to support PIP and/or do at least decent split-screen with 1080p sources? Should my 747i eventually crap out I will be on the market for a PIP-friendly HDTV, and would like to know if Mitsubishi has kept that technology included in recent models or has given up on it. Thanks!

Back in early 07 I got my first LCD which was the 46231. Put it in my bedroom and it is still there. Excellent performer and never had so much as 1 problem with it. I think MITS made a huge mistake not paying more attention to the LCD market and instead focusing on the LASERBUST sets. I'm wondering if MITS will attempt LED. I'm disappointed that the current sets don't have a 55.
paul416 is offline  
post #5 of 28 Old 12-05-2009, 01:49 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
friedman232's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 149
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Here are some pictures of the set installed into the cabinet. I have NOT done ANY calibration whatsoever. These pictures are not for PQ evaluation. They are just so you can see how I have it installed (and how tight it is in the cabinet). The shelf above the TV is adjustable and right now is about 2" above the top of the set for airflow. Also, the set is attached by a 200 x 200 VESA mount and so it is "hovering" about 2" above the base of the cabinet shelf. On the left and right, the set pretty much touches the trim on the front facia directly. There is some breathing room behind the trim on the side (approx 1/4" on each side).

There is an access door on the right vertical side of the back panel in the cabinet (you can see it in one of the pictures). This is hinged and opens out. The TV must be swung out and to the left for the door to open (and i have to remove the upper shelf). Behind the door is an "empty" space that is approximately 2.5' wide, 3' deep and 8' tall. This gives me the ability to run cables and put other stuff back there like surge protector, switch for splitting ethernet to tv and LG blu-ray player, etc..

I have installed a low RPM computer fan (connected to a AC/DC adapter) to draw air out of the lower part of the cabinet and into the "empty" space. It moves about 60-70 cubic ft./minute and is completely silent. Seems to be working well so far but I haven't lived through a 100 degree summer day with all my equipment running full speed yet either.

The TV has no special venting other than the couple inches between the top of the set and the shelf above. Also, there is approximately 4-5" of space between back of tv and back wall of cabinet.

I think that should cover most of the details. let me know if any questions. I've been planning this for months and months and months. Nice to be close to the finish line!

Here are pictures:





Ben Friedman
ben@ben.org
friedman232 is offline  
post #6 of 28 Old 12-05-2009, 05:41 PM
Senior Member
 
paul416's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 444
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by friedman232 View Post

Here are some pictures of the set installed into the cabinet. I have NOT done ANY calibration whatsoever. These pictures are not for PQ evaluation. They are just so you can see how I have it installed (and how tight it is in the cabinet). The shelf above the TV is adjustable and right now is about 2" above the top of the set for airflow. Also, the set is attached by a 200 x 200 VESA mount and so it is "hovering" about 2" above the base of the cabinet shelf. On the left and right, the set pretty much touches the trim on the front facia directly. There is some breathing room behind the trim on the side (approx 1/4" on each side).

There is an access door on the right vertical side of the back panel in the cabinet (you can see it in one of the pictures). This is hinged and opens out. The TV must be swung out and to the left for the door to open (and i have to remove the upper shelf). Behind the door is an "empty" space that is approximately 2.5' wide, 3' deep and 8' tall. This gives me the ability to run cables and put other stuff back there like surge protector, switch for splitting ethernet to tv and LG blu-ray player, etc..

I have installed a low RPM computer fan (connected to a AC/DC adapter) to draw air out of the lower part of the cabinet and into the "empty" space. It moves about 60-70 cubic ft./minute and is completely silent. Seems to be working well so far but I haven't lived through a 100 degree summer day with all my equipment running full speed yet either.

The TV has no special venting other than the couple inches between the top of the set and the shelf above. Also, there is approximately 4-5" of space between back of tv and back wall of cabinet.

I think that should cover most of the details. let me know if any questions. I've been planning this for months and months and months. Nice to be close to the finish line!

Here are pictures:





LOOKS GREAT!! Enjoy
paul416 is offline  
post #7 of 28 Old 12-05-2009, 09:14 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Servicetech571's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 4,691
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
For a service prospective the Mits has been a decent set. In last year's models we had a lot of bad panels, but I think they have it all worked out now. I did a power supply on a 52" last week, the sets seem to be well made but I don't think they are worth the price unless you have a special installation requirement.
Servicetech571 is offline  
post #8 of 28 Old 12-05-2009, 09:42 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
friedman232's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 149
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
that was exactly my situation. serious space constraints, plus a desire to have a quality sound bar integrated. If you subtract about $500 for a comparable quality sound bar if you were to buy it separately, the panel isn't super pricey though.

Plus, I am digging the Vudu video streaming and other net connected apps, the net command remote repeater functions and, of course, the picture isn't too shabby either.

good to hear the service perspective...thanks!

Ben Friedman
ben@ben.org
friedman232 is offline  
post #9 of 28 Old 12-06-2009, 07:03 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Servicetech571's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 4,691
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Most of the newer Mits TV's I've seen are in special install requirements such as narrow cabinets. If Mits didn't have the ultra thin bezel they wouldn't sell 1/2 as many TV's. FWIW all of the Mits sets I've seen use Samsung Panels.
Servicetech571 is offline  
post #10 of 28 Old 12-06-2009, 05:55 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
friedman232's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 149
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Servicetech571 View Post

Most of the newer Mits TV's I've seen are in special install requirements such as narrow cabinets. If Mits didn't have the ultra thin bezel they wouldn't sell 1/2 as many TV's. FWIW all of the Mits sets I've seen use Samsung Panels.

agreed. (although the picture quality seems pretty solid so far)

Keep scratching my head why thin bezels haven't become more available. I mean, I'm glad they are getting thinner (and lighter) but I'd think bezels would also be shrinking too.

Ben Friedman
ben@ben.org
friedman232 is offline  
post #11 of 28 Old 12-06-2009, 07:37 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Servicetech571's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 4,691
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
The way Mits attaches the bezel is kind of flimsy, they use double sided tape to hold it to the panel. Thicker bezels allow for actual mounting hardware for the bezel. Wish Mits would just ship a new bezel when we order a panel.
Servicetech571 is offline  
post #12 of 28 Old 12-08-2009, 07:07 PM
Newbie
 
shidonni's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just purchased the Mitsubishi 46" Diamond Unisen 249 Series - LT-46249 fro a mom & pop store, got agreat deal on the TV, Blu-ray player, bush tv stand, 2 hdmi cables, surge protector, delivered and set up. Will be delivering this Saturday am can't wait.

Regards,
Shidonni.
shidonni is offline  
post #13 of 28 Old 12-08-2009, 08:31 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
friedman232's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 149
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by shidonni View Post

I just purchased the Mitsubishi 46" Diamond Unisen 249 Series - LT-46249 fro a mom & pop store, got agreat deal on the TV, Blu-ray player, bush tv stand, 2 hdmi cables, surge protector, delivered and set up. Will be delivering this Saturday am can't wait.

Regards,
Shidonni.

Hope it arrives safely. That reminds me that one of my "freebies" included with my purchase was a Polk Audio Wireless Sub (don't recall model off top of my head but it's an 8" woofer, 100 watt). Hooked it up last night. It is a nice compliment to the sound projector to add a little dedicated bass.

For my bedroom, it is a really decent setup.

Ben Friedman
ben@ben.org
friedman232 is offline  
post #14 of 28 Old 12-09-2009, 01:30 PM
Member
 
mludviksen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Incline Village, NV
Posts: 20
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Hi Ben,

I'm in a very similar position - I'm looking to replace two older Samsung 46" DLP's that are built in to a cabinet and the Samsungs have a very thin bezel (these 46" TV's are only 40.5" wide!), so my options are limited if I want to avoid some modifications to my cabinet. Anyway, one factor that is important to me is the measurement from the bottom of the unit to the bottom of the display. I'm guessing it's around 6 inches or so but I would really appreciate an accurate measurement. I expect to mount it like you have, so the base will not be used.

Thanks for your help!


Mark
mludviksen is offline  
post #15 of 28 Old 12-09-2009, 01:53 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
friedman232's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 149
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by mludviksen View Post

Hi Ben,

I'm in a very similar position - I'm looking to replace two older Samsung 46" DLP's that are built in to a cabinet and the Samsungs have a very thin bezel (these 46" TV's are only 40.5" wide!), so my options are limited if I want to avoid some modifications to my cabinet. Anyway, one factor that is important to me is the measurement from the bottom of the unit to the bottom of the display. I'm guessing it's around 6 inches or so but I would really appreciate an accurate measurement. I expect to mount it like you have, so the base will not be used.

Thanks for your help!


Mark

First, there is a "measurements" PDF on the Mitsubishi site.
http://www.mitsubishi-tv.com/product/LT46249

click on product specs > detailed specs > dimension sheet

That may help.

I am also happy to give you a measurement "from a real human being" for an extra dose of reassurance. Please confirm exactly what you want though/

I think you are saying that you want to measure from the bottom point of the unit WHEN THE STAND IS OFF (which is the bottom of the sound projector).

What I'm not clear on is where you want me to stop. Is it where the picture appears? Is it to the base of the trim around the screen?

Let me know and I'll try to help out. Can also take a close up picture if you need it.

Ben

Ben Friedman
ben@ben.org
friedman232 is offline  
post #16 of 28 Old 12-09-2009, 02:37 PM
Member
 
mludviksen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Incline Village, NV
Posts: 20
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Ben,

Thanks for the link - I appreciate it. Although it has some useful measurements, I don't think it has what I'm looking for. I am looking for the measurement from the bottom of the unit when the stand is off (bottom of the sound projector) to the point at which the picture first appears. I had a custom cabinet cover made for the Samsung DLP that gives it that full built-in look and I want to make sure the bottom of the Mitsubishi is not too tall...

Thanks,


Mark
mludviksen is offline  
post #17 of 28 Old 12-09-2009, 07:02 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
friedman232's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 149
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by mludviksen View Post

Ben,

Thanks for the link - I appreciate it. Although it has some useful measurements, I don't think it has what I'm looking for. I am looking for the measurement from the bottom of the unit when the stand is off (bottom of the sound projector) to the point at which the picture first appears. I had a custom cabinet cover made for the Samsung DLP that gives it that full built-in look and I want to make sure the bottom of the Mitsubishi is not too tall...

Thanks,


Mark

just measured. You are looking at somewhere between 6 1/8" and 6 1/4" to the viewable portion of the screen from the bottom of the sound projector.

hope that helps.

Ben Friedman
ben@ben.org
friedman232 is offline  
post #18 of 28 Old 12-09-2009, 08:12 PM
Member
 
mludviksen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Incline Village, NV
Posts: 20
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Ben,

Thank you very much - that helps a bunch! I think it'll work... :-)


Mark
mludviksen is offline  
post #19 of 28 Old 12-10-2009, 05:38 PM
Member
 
neutronn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 33
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
excuse if this ain't the right forum to ask this question.

what model do you recommend , LT46151, LT46153 or LT46149. (not able to find LT46149 , are they discontinued ?)

LT46249 is little expensive, hence trying to decide between the prev models.

please suggest , thanks in advance.
neutronn is offline  
post #20 of 28 Old 12-11-2009, 10:50 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
friedman232's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 149
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by neutronn View Post

excuse if this ain't the right forum to ask this question.

what model do you recommend , LT46151, LT46153 or LT46149. (not able to find LT46149 , are they discontinued ?)

LT46249 is little expensive, hence trying to decide between the prev models.

please suggest , thanks in advance.

I really can't speak intelligently to the other models. Hopefully someone else can or perhaps there are existing threads addressing those models.

Ben Friedman
ben@ben.org
friedman232 is offline  
post #21 of 28 Old 12-14-2009, 04:16 AM
Senior Member
 
rkg22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Las Vegas, NV
Posts: 365
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
hi folks... thought i'd check in here as i've got one of these puppies.. i'll try to keep from being too long, but thought i'd relate some experience with the mits tv stuff...

my mits saga began with an LT-46244 set in december 2007... this one had many bugs an ultimately a bad LCD... took me til april 2008 to convince mits it was bad... after convincing, however, they did cooperate by replacing the set with the equivalent follow-on 2008 model ( LT-46244 ), although i had to wait til it got off the assembly line... received that one in july 2008... bugs were improved, but not totally... i had decided to live with the bugs until the lcd went bad in the replacement as well...

Mits cooperated again and offered the 249 as a replacement... had to wait for that one to get off the assembly line as well, but received it October 2 2009...

the 249 lacks the TV Guide on-screen stuff, but i'm getting used to not having it.. haven't messed with the network stuff as of yet ( i'm too cheap to pay for movies ), but the rest of the TV is pretty good... love the picture, and the LCD appears to be maintaining so far ( about 1500 hours of use )...

it does have a couple of what I consider to be bugs, but these are litte more than nuisances, and i will request a firmware update in the not too distant future...

i'll submit this response and follow up with what i've learned in the 2 months i've used the set...
rkg22 is offline  
post #22 of 28 Old 12-14-2009, 04:39 AM
Senior Member
 
rkg22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Las Vegas, NV
Posts: 365
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
`ok...

bugs / anomolies to date -

1 - the remote that comes with this set is different from the originals ( 46244 and 246 )..
while it works and all and is a bit more compact, it's a bit cumbersome when compared to the originals ( i kept the originals and use them in lieu of the newer remote )...

2 - the LCD panel for this, as well as the 2 previous models, emits interference such tht my denon stereo amp remote does not function for up to 15 minutes ( using the denon remote OR the net-command process )... after the short warmup period, though, the interference disappears and all is well... this TV does have a function where you can kill the backlight, and when you do, the denon remote function DOES work...

3 - the various menus are quite sluggish for my taste, but tolerable...

4 - video formats for various line inputs do not appear to be stored or remembered...
eg, if i set a line input video format to, say, ' stretch ' mode, and then turn off the source ( in my case, a panny DMR-E95 ), when i turn the panny back on, the video format reverts back to 480p standard mode and i have to manually return the mode to stretch mode...

5 - the sound bar stuff is a great improvement over previous models, and finally renders the TV to have at least acceptable sound quality, although it still is nomatch for an external audio setup...

6 - in the previous models, the audio line outs were variable, and followed the internal volume setting ( used if internal audio was used ). on the 249, the audio line outs are fixed level. again, this is just a nuisance, i suppose.

7 - in the previous models, there was a ' balance ' audio control. this does not exist on the 249... also a nuisance...

8 - the various audio and caption features ( including the ' level sound ' function ) are only functional when internal audio is used.

9 - while this is not a bug, it should be noted that the remote control system functions a bit differently from other remote systems in that the mits remote sends ' pulsed ' output. this is presumed to facilitate proper operation of the net-command feature by providing a pulsed ' dead spot ' to minimize interference from the handheld remote when the net-command IR blasters are operating.

i mention this only because it may cause issues when using universal or higher end programmable remotes, so beware...

10 - the previous models had dual tuners, whereas the 249 only has a single tuner.

11 - the previous models had a tuner anomoly, whereby after a channel scan had been performed, and the channels were edited, if a new channel popped up in the RF signal, the TV would memorize the channel on its own, requiring me to shut the offending channel back off... in my case, this happened daily when using COX cable... the COX system pops various channels on and off ' in the clear ' to provide various ' on-demand ' services to subscribers utilizing this type of service ...

this was a major nuisance for me.

since i discontinued COX cable, i don't know if the 249 does this or not...

12 - finally, the channel editor in the 249 is different from previous models in that one can no longer move through the various channels while editing and see the channel that is being edited... in the previous models, as you moved through the channels in the editor, the tuner would ' follow along ' ... again, a nuisance for me...


all-in-all, however, i'm very happy with the TV and hope the LCD will maintain itself
this time....

as a rule, i have always liked mits audio and video products, and this TV, even with the anomolies , is no exception... i feel that it has the best picture that i have seen...

rgds

ron g...
rkg22 is offline  
post #23 of 28 Old 12-14-2009, 04:49 AM
Senior Member
 
rkg22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Las Vegas, NV
Posts: 365
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
one additional piece of info on this tv...

for those of you who may have the need to protect the LCD surface, there are a few folks who make universal plex covers... from their appearances, they all seem bulky and are a bit pricey for my taste...

an alternative that i chose was to special order a custom cut plex panel from ridout plastics... the universal covers appear to sell for around 100 to 150 bucks, while the custom cut panel cost me about 55 bucks including shipping.

i attached the panel to the TV bezel using black velcro tabs. in the spaces between the velcro tabs, i attached some flexible black weather stripping, in order to provide a seal around the entire outer edge of the panel to avoid dust and dirt being sucked inside the gap between the LCD and the plex panel due to static buildup...

the panel is optically clear and does not affect the picture quality, at least when viewed from normal distances...

rgds...

ron g
rkg22 is offline  
post #24 of 28 Old 12-14-2009, 05:39 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
friedman232's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 149
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I still haven't had time to try and really dial in my picture settings yet (perhaps cause 60 second version of tweaking I did with first setup wasn't that bad ?!?).

But one thing I have noted is flashlighting in the corners. I only notice on black screens and although I haven't tested for this exhaustively, it seems as though it isn't always there.

But without question my set has this characteristic. Again, no testing of significance, just passive observations from my first week. No noticeable impact on viewing actual content yet. But I've seen threads here go 100 pages deep talking about this, so I figured I'd point it out. Curious if others have noticed this...

Ben Friedman
ben@ben.org
friedman232 is offline  
post #25 of 28 Old 12-14-2009, 09:42 AM
Senior Member
 
rkg22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Las Vegas, NV
Posts: 365
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
hi friedman232...

my set also has this characteristic, as did both of my previous sets ( 46244 & 46246 )...
this probably has something to do with the angle of backlight emission to the extreme corners of the panel. while it is indeed apparent with dark scenes, i find that after a
short time watching, i don't notice it too much, although for me, i would consider it to be a nuisance that mits should probably address in some way... i do find that reducing the backlight level does help a bit, but not much... i try to maintain the backlight level at a value of 25 or less, which is usually sufficient for my viewing situation...

rgds,
rg
rkg22 is offline  
post #26 of 28 Old 12-16-2009, 07:32 AM
Newbie
 
shidonni's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Got the tv loving it just need to have comcast hookup HD, the sound bar w/subwoofer is great I have a Jamo surround system that use for the woofer.
Shidonni.
shidonni is offline  
post #27 of 28 Old 05-04-2010, 11:46 PM
Member
 
Darhawk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Seattle, WA USA
Posts: 20
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Anybody have any updates to this thread. I looked at this tonight ( LT-52249 ) and thought sharpness and clarity was excellent. About as good as a Sammy 55C8000 and much better than the Sony EX700. It is really hard to choose while looking at them in the store. They set all the TVs on AVATAR and so I got to watch the feed for awhile.
I just don't know how reliable this brand is, compared to Sony or Samung. I have a XBR6 32" right now and it is suppose to be the bedroom TV, so I am looking to get a newer model around 55"s. I have always great success from Sony, but I am not a cheerleader for any brand. I stopped doing that last year due to certain circumstances not involving electronics.
I'd to here some opinions of this LT-52249
thanks
Darhawk is offline  
post #28 of 28 Old 05-28-2010, 04:22 PM
Senior Member
 
rkg22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Las Vegas, NV
Posts: 365
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darhawk View Post

Anybody have any updates to this thread. I looked at this tonight ( LT-52249 ) and thought sharpness and clarity was excellent. About as good as a Sammy 55C8000 and much better than the Sony EX700. It is really hard to choose while looking at them in the store. They set all the TVs on AVATAR and so I got to watch the feed for awhile.
I just don't know how reliable this brand is, compared to Sony or Samung. I have a XBR6 32" right now and it is suppose to be the bedroom TV, so I am looking to get a newer model around 55"s. I have always great success from Sony, but I am not a cheerleader for any brand. I stopped doing that last year due to certain circumstances not involving electronics.
I'd to here some opinions of this LT-52249
thanks

hi darhawk..

i have the 46249 model.. same thing except for the screen size... this tv has about 3500 hours on it so far and i've had no real trouble with it, beyond some nuisance items that are probably more unique to me than to anyone else... all in all, the tv is beautiful. this was a replacement for 2 previous mits tv's that had firmware bugs, as well as defective panels. but as far as the panels are concerned, i believe that mits has worked the problems out. ( previous sets were 46244 and 46246 )...

good luck..

ron g
rkg22 is offline  
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off