Does anyone have Vizio SV370XVT Optimal settings for Video and Audio? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 16 Old 12-06-2009, 08:05 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have trying to search the entire internet for optimal settings for my new bedroom TV, the Vizio SV370XVT. Picked it up yesterday at BJ's Wholesale for cheap. I already have at 42 inch Vizio, and I had settings from along time ago that CNET had put out, but I can't find any settings for this TV.

I would appreciate optimal settings for Video, if anyone has them, or even the settings that they use.

I am in a dark environment in my bedroom, and I am running through Comcast.

Any help would be appreciated. Even if it is to a link where I could get the settings.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 12-06-2009, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfine1966 View Post

I have trying to search the entire internet for optimal settings for my new bedroom TV, the Vizio SV370XVT. Picked it up yesterday at BJ's Wholesale for cheap. I already have at 42 inch Vizio, and I had settings from along time ago that CNET had put out, but I can't find any settings for this TV.

I would appreciate optimal settings for Video, if anyone has them, or even the settings that they use.

I am in a dark environment in my bedroom, and I am running through Comcast.

Any help would be appreciated. Even if it is to a link where I could get the settings.

Thanks

I bought one of these a few days ago at Sam's Club (when they lowered their price) and I've been playing around with the settings to reduce the "soap opera effect." It's in my bedroom and these are the settings I've been using for the last day or so for the HDMI1 input from my cable box:

Mode: Movie
Backlight: 45
Brightness: 49
Contrast: 35
Color: 47
Tint: -3
Sharpness: 0

Noise Reduction: Off
MPEG NR: Off
Color Enhancement: Normal
Advanced Adaptive Lumina: Off
Backlight Control: Off
Color Temperature: Normal
Smooth Motion: Off
Film Mode: Auto

I don't represent these settings as the "best", merely what I'm presently using. I'll probably keep fiddling with it for a while.

If your room is very dark, you might want to turn the backlight down even more than I did.

Good luck and enjoy the set.
post #3 of 16 Old 12-06-2009, 11:07 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 12
Did you pick only use of the Movie mode and motify it's settings because you only have one input source for the TV which is movies from a DVD power? If you are using only one souce and therefore only one picture mode if it is other then a DVD player what specific souce is it?
post #4 of 16 Old 12-06-2009, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by walford View Post

Did you pick only use of the Movie mode and motify it's settings because you only have one input source for the TV which is movies from a DVD power? If you are using only one souce and therefore only one picture mode if it is other then a DVD player what specific souce is it?

As I stated in my original post, these are the settings I'm using with my cable box as the source. I also have a DVD player connected via HDMI, but I haven't spent as much time adjusting the settings for that input as I tend to watch most of my DVDs on another set. Also, I've only had the Vizio about four days.

I used "Movie" as my starting point because on other sets I've found that movie tends to give the most natural color temperature. On this set, I don't know if it matters that much because when I adjust "Custom" to the same settings as "Movie", the picture looks the same. It's possible that the different modes are just Vizio's idea of pre-sets for the different types of programming, and each mode is capable of being set to produce the same effects as any other.
post #5 of 16 Old 12-06-2009, 03:02 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Your last paragraph is exactly how I understand my Vizio to work. It is only the default settings for some of the modes that are different. The really nice feature is that once you set up a mode for a particluar input connection souce the set automaticaly uses that mode and you don't have to change it yourself.

Sorry I missed the point that you settings were for use with Comcast. Are they for a specific make/model of STB from Comcast or are they for clearQAM content from Comcast.
post #6 of 16 Old 12-06-2009, 05:43 PM

Quote:

Your last paragraph is exactly how I understand my Vizio to work. It is only the default settings for some of the modes that are different. The really nice feature is that once you set up a mode for a particluar input connection souce the set automaticaly uses that mode and you don't have to change it yourself.

Sorry I missed the point that you settings were for use with Comcast. Are they for a specific make/model of STB from Comcast or are they for clearQAM content from Comcast.

Yes, I noticed that the mode for each input remains fixed at the mode you were using the last time you used that input.

My STB is a Scientific Atlanta Explorer 4250HD from Cablevision (not Comcast). Again, I don't pretend that I've found the "perfect" settings for this set, only ones that I think gives a decent picture with a minimum amount of "soap opera effect" from my cable box. Frankly, like the person who started this thread, I spent a couple of days trying to see if anyone had posted recommended settings, but had no luck. The set's only been out for a couple of months, and Vizio doesn't sell as many units as Samsung or Sony, so maybe that's why there isn't as much traffic regarding settings.
post #7 of 16 Old 12-06-2009, 06:47 PM
AVS Addicted Member

The "best" settings for any Mode depend on the source being used as you have found. The best settings for your SA box from Cablevison could be very diffent from the "best" settings for my Motorola cable box from Cox cable. And of course the "best" settings not only depend on the source but they also depend on the rooms lighting level and on the EyeBalls of the users.
post #8 of 16 Old 12-06-2009, 07:56 PM

Quote:

The "best" settings for any Mode depend on the source being used as you have found. The best settings for your SA box from Cablevison could be very diffent from the "best" settings for my Motorola cable box from Cox cable. And of course the "best" settings not only depend on the source but they also depend on the rooms lighting level and on the EyeBalls of the users.

I couldn't agree more. I've always viewed the recommendations found on these forums to be good starting off points, but, there's no substitute for the eyes of the viewer.
post #9 of 16 Old 12-06-2009, 08:58 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Figsgrandpa View Post

I couldn't agree more. I've always viewed the recommendations found on these forums to be good starting off points, but, there's no substitute for the eyes of the viewer.

That was what I was hoping for. I just needed a starting point. I appreciate it. Like today I was watching Football on it in HD.

I have ComcastHD Digital Cable. So I watch non HD and HD channels.

Should there be 2 different setting for HD and NON HD. Also do I change it when I watch movies or watch Football. I really not sure.

Anymore advice would be helpful
post #10 of 16 Old 12-07-2009, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfine1966 View Post

That was what I was hoping for. I just needed a starting point. I appreciate it. Like today I was watching Football on it in HD.

I have ComcastHD Digital Cable. So I watch non HD and HD channels.

Should there be 2 different setting for HD and NON HD. Also do I change it when I watch movies or watch Football. I really not sure.

Anymore advice would be helpful

There is no imperative that you use different settings for different programs. As Walford correctly pointed out, its all in the eye of the beholder.

Personally, I tend to leave the settings the same for whatever channel I'm watching. If you find that non-HD channels don't look as good as HD ones (beyond the difference you would normally expect) you can use the settings in a different mode to see if you can improve the picture. For example, you might turn the Noise Reduction on for some channels and not others. Or, you might have to change the color settings for some channels.

The same goes with football, baseball and all the other sports modes. It all depends on how YOU feel about the picture. Don't be afraid to play around a bit with the controls and see if your changes make the picture better or worse. You can always reset the mode you change back to its original factory settings.
post #11 of 16 Old 01-14-2010, 10:51 AM

Anyone else have any other video settings for this LCD they would like to share?
post #12 of 16 Old 01-14-2010, 01:55 PM

Not yet but I will soon. I have to get it up and running first. I'll probably try my calibration dvd and see how it goes. Then I'll start working on all the inputs.
post #13 of 16 Old 01-14-2010, 03:14 PM

I have this TV in my bedroom and I've actually found the various built-in modes to work quite well. "Standard" for most things, "Football" when appropriate. Looks great to me.
post #14 of 16 Old 01-15-2010, 04:14 PM

I am impressed with this TV (and I am hard to impress and very analytical to boot). I've spent way too many hours today playing with it when I should have been doing other things. I calibrated the TV with my test disc and ended up with the following settings. I have only done one of the inputs and I wish Netflix had a test pattern of some sort through their instant viewing so I could do that one. I will have to wait until the TV test pattern comes up on one of our channels to calibrate the TV input from the cable box. So...here goes my settings via both test disc and ultimately my own visual approval.

Mode: Custom
Backlight: 46
Brightness: 51
Contrast: 50
Color: 51
Tint: -2
Sharpness: 4 (too soft lower and blurred higher on sharpness test pattern)

Noise Reduction: Off
MPEG NR: Off
Color Enhancement: Normal
Advanced Adaptive Lumina: Medium
Backlight Control: DCR
Color Temperature: Normal
Smooth Motion: medium (tends to blur LOST on streaming netflix if Off but does cause some soap opera effect- tradeoffs)
Film Mode: Auto

Both "custom" and "football" were both very close without any additional adjustments.

Most of the other settings seemed to push the colors way off on the pluge chart.

The upconverting from SD in the TV itself seems to be very good. I fed it a High Def test DVD and it was extremely good. Blu ray is excellent as expected.

I'm sticking with these settings on all the inputs until I can calibrate the rest individually. If you know of a netflix streaming dvd with a test pattern please let me know.
post #15 of 16 Old 01-15-2010, 04:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 288 Post(s)
Liked: 202
Nobody mentioned audio but make sure you turn on "True Volume". It automatically reduces the sound from over loud commercials. If you go to "hometheatermag.com they list their best settings for the VF551XVT. Might be worth trying.
post #16 of 16 Old 01-15-2010, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy sullivan View Post

Nobody mentioned audio but make sure you turn on "True Volume". It automatically reduces the sound from over loud commercials. If you go to "hometheatermag.com they list their best settings for the VF551XVT. Might be worth trying.

I too like that setting. AMC is the worst for LOUD commercials.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page