I need help buying a 50"+ LCD - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 12-08-2009, 06:20 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
We just bought a house after living in an apartment for 2 years. I've never had an HDTV before and I'm hoping you guys can give me some good suggestions on a 50"+ LCD TV.

Here's a couple of requirements:

I want LCD because the living room where the TV will be located has large picture windows directly behind where we will be sitting while watching TV. Because of that fact I am also loving to get a nice matte screen to reduce the reflections from those windows.

I'm also not looking for a latest and greatest (like LED backlighting) unless the prices are not that much more than a normal LCD. I figure since I've never had an HDTV that anything will blow my socks off that I don't necessarily have to get the latest and greatest (and pay so much more).

So please give me a couple of suggestions on basic LCD TVs that you think will give me the best bang for my buck.

I will be using Dish Network, XBOX and PS3 for gaming, and the PS3 for blu-rays.

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 12-08-2009, 06:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 12
If I were just giving you a quick recommendation, I would say take a good look at the Sony S5100 model. It can be found anywhere and should meet all your needs quite well.

post #3 of 9 Old 12-08-2009, 06:58 AM

Yeah, while some LED sets are nice, prices are still high, some problems with getting images uniform.

Perhaps a LCD something like a Samsung LN52B630.

Matte screen, great image quality, decent price, hard to go wrong.

TC
post #4 of 9 Old 12-08-2009, 08:18 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks so much for these suggestions. Now I've got a little homework to do.
post #5 of 9 Old 12-08-2009, 08:19 AM

post #6 of 9 Old 12-08-2009, 12:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 46
^^^I'd echo the recommendation for those two sets. Between the two the Sony will have a little better sound quality and probably fewer HDMI handshake issues, though this isn't much of a problem with any major make any more. Out of the box Samsungs usually have sharper, more vivid color, Sony a tiny bit softer and more natural color. Since doing a few picture adjustments can tame the Samsung and punch up the Sony this also needn't be a deal breaker if you're willing to experiment a little in the setup menus.

To be honest one could choose between these two sets based on physical appearance and price alone and not go wrong. If you decide to go up to a more feature laden set you'd pretty much have to eliminate Samsung as every Samsung series 650 and above has a really shiny screen surface.

Steve S.
post #7 of 9 Old 12-08-2009, 03:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
I'd get a 60hz set for $300-400 cheaper and use the money for an audio system. Audio is 1/2 the experience and I think your overall experience will be improved more by adding an audio system than by getting a 120hz set.
post #8 of 9 Old 12-09-2009, 02:34 PM - Thread Starter

Servicetech571,

Tell me more. I like the way you're thinking because I definitely want to get an audio system as well with this TV. What 60Hz TVs do you recommend I look at?

Thanks.
post #9 of 9 Old 12-09-2009, 02:51 PM

I don't know about 60Hz instead of 120Hz...unless you watch only slow-moving stuff...I almost hate not getting the 240Hz over 120Hz.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page