Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 632 Old 01-15-2010, 05:51 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
A10 or anyone with a recent delivery of the 8500 in the last 2 weeks,

An experiment to do is put the settings of 1/3 I have in post #1 and then calibrate your COLOR/TINT against it using the BLUE ONLY MODE. White balance gets really tricky without a sensor so I wouldn't mess with that unless COLOR and TINT alone are just not able to correct it.

I'm interested (and maybe others as well) in knowing how the latest batch deviates from the from settings of my October set.

Thanks.

-
- Balance Between
- Quality & Price!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 632 Old 01-15-2010, 06:00 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yahoo View Post

A10 or anyone with a recent delivery of the 8500 in the last 2 weeks,

An experiment to do is put the settings of 1/3 I have in post #1 and then calibrate your COLOR/TINT against it using the BLUE ONLY MODE. White balance gets really tricky without a sensor so I wouldn't mess with that unless COLOR and TINT alone are just not able to correct it.

I'm interested (and maybe others as well) in knowing how the latest batch deviates from the from settings of my October set.

Thanks.

I would be glad to try this. I've written down some settings that I'm fairly comfortable with, so I can go in and mess with the white balance as well.

I put an SMPTE color bar jpeg on a thumb drive, but I can't seem to get my PS3 to read the jpeg. Does anyone know if I have to format my thumb drive a certain way to get the PS3 to read it?
post #93 of 632 Old 01-15-2010, 06:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 55
I got my 55 8500 last friday with 12/30 build date.Im using your 1/3 settings and they look good except for a green tint that seems present.Im using an oppo83 ,watching upconverted dvds.Any recommendations you might have for me in white balance which is same as yours in 1/3 to get rid of this green tint?
I also named my oppo83 input dvd rather that blu-ray since will be only watching dvd upconverts for a while on my oppo83.Should I rename this input blu-ray or am I okay.I believe David mentioned this has an effect.
I will try blue only mode and get back to you.

Matt
post #94 of 632 Old 01-15-2010, 06:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Tried blue mode only and got nowhere.The screen is blue and just stays a deep blue.Only variations I can see are dark blackish blue and blue.Moved color and tint settings up and down but blue doesnt seem to change.Good chance Im doing something wrong here.

Matt
post #95 of 632 Old 01-15-2010, 07:03 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

You need to follow the steps in this link (a previous post).

First is the THX Optimizer screen...did you use that or some other substitute?

-
- Balance Between
- Quality & Price!
post #96 of 632 Old 01-15-2010, 07:07 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattg3 View Post

except for a green tint that seems present.

Tint control should already help with the green tint. Slide to Red more. If that throws off your RED then adjust GREEN OFFSET/GREEN GAIN in white balance.

-
- Balance Between
- Quality & Price!
post #97 of 632 Old 01-15-2010, 07:10 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I think you can put the thumb drive directly in the 8500 USB port and read it if I'm not mistaken. It will display jpegs. You may have to rename it to JPG or something if 8500 gets picky. That was one of its media server features.

However, doing it this way does not compensate for the players source discrepancies, if any, that is plugged in using another port.

Quote:
Originally Posted by A10 Titan View Post

I would be glad to try this. I've written down some settings that I'm fairly comfortable with, so I can go in and mess with the white balance as well.

I put an SMPTE color bar jpeg on a thumb drive, but I can't seem to get my PS3 to read the jpeg. Does anyone know if I have to format my thumb drive a certain way to get the PS3 to read it?

-
- Balance Between
- Quality & Price!
post #98 of 632 Old 01-15-2010, 07:15 AM

Quote:

I think you can put the thumb drive directly in the 8500 USB port and read it if I'm not mistaken. It will display jpegs. You may have to rename it to JPG or something if 8500 gets picky. That was one of its media server features.

However, doing it this way does not compensate for the players source discrepancies, if any, that is plugged in using another port.

The 8500 will read these. Problem is you can't play with any menu settings when looking at files on the usb stick.

A quick aside, Yahoo; what do you know about the problems being discussed regarding light, washed out areas in the corners and both sides of this set? I have this issue along with others and we are getting increasingly agitated about it.
post #99 of 632 Old 01-15-2010, 07:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

You need to follow the steps in this link (a previous post).

First is the THX Optimizer screen...did you use that or some other substitute?

Now I get it.I pulled out my old ovation sound and vision calibration disc and the settings using blue screen in your 1/3 calibrations were right on as far as I could tell with my eyes.Hope someone with my build date and younger eyes might take a shot at it.

Matt
post #100 of 632 Old 01-15-2010, 07:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Tint control should already help with the green tint. Slide to Red more. If that throws off your RED then adjust GREEN OFFSET/GREEN GAIN in white balance.

Thanks.You did recommend somewhere going with standard setting if you are playing sd dvds which is all I am doing with my oppo83.I changed the default on standard a bit taking off noise reduction,and the dynamic contrast option.Seems to work fine with sd dvds and has no green tint color issues.

Matt
post #101 of 632 Old 01-15-2010, 08:20 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

You are getting green tint on all SD program materials?

-
- Balance Between
- Quality & Price!
post #102 of 632 Old 01-15-2010, 08:38 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

A10,

I have not seen it on my set and I am very perceptive to BLACKS being messed up -- coming from the original 81F and BLACKS being the selling point of these local dimmining LED sets.

I'm not sure what to make of it other than suggesting run through of a series of tests using test discs to find out if this consistency can be reproduced on a static screen and reported.

Quote:
Originally Posted by A10 Titan View Post

the problems being discussed regarding light, washed out areas in the corners and both sides of this set? I have this issue along with others and we are getting increasingly agitated about it.

-
- Balance Between
- Quality & Price!
post #103 of 632 Old 01-15-2010, 08:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

You are getting green tint on all SD program materials?

Well, yes but all Ive tried is sd dvds since only using oppo83 and input 2.This is all I plan on connecting to this set.

Matt
post #104 of 632 Old 01-15-2010, 09:00 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Seems like this new batch of TV may have upped the green primary somehow.

Try to rule out the player being the issue by trying a different DVD player, even a cheaper one, with HDMI output.

If it remains the same then I would try to compensate for it using TINT/WHITE BALANCE as suggested before in MOVIE mode when you get a chance.

-
- Balance Between
- Quality & Price!
post #105 of 632 Old 01-15-2010, 09:23 AM

Quote:

A10,

I have not seen it on my set and I am very perceptive to BLACKS being messed up -- coming from the original 81F and BLACKS being the selling point of these local dimmining LED sets.

I'm not sure what to make of it other than suggesting run through of a series of tests using test discs to find out if this consistency can be reproduced on a static screen and reported.

Thanks. This is frustrating. If I could say for sure it was content/source dependent I would feel better about it. I don't want to end up unhappy with the set.

I think I'll take this image to the television and see how it responds.
LL
post #106 of 632 Old 01-15-2010, 03:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Actually, you shouldn't do that at all. Those are two completely different controls. Offsets and gains affect gray scale only. They do not affect the primaries.

They do affect the secondaries in that the secondaries are derived by combining two primaries with gray to create the secondary. So if your gray is incorrect, it will also make your secondaries incorrect. You should never compensate for an incorrect secondary by changing the grays.

Tint moves the secondaries all in the same direction either toward red or green.

The best way to get this TV right is to have a good calibrator do it or get a meter/software and learn how to calibrate yourself. Anything else is just a shot in the dark and you'll probably end up making it worse instead of better.

BTW, if there are any 8500 owners in the Columbus, OH area, please give me a buzz and I'll show you what this TV can really do.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #107 of 632 Old 01-15-2010, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicholc2 View Post

BTW, if there are any 8500 owners in the Columbus, OH area, please give me a buzz and I'll show you what this TV can really do.

this actually has me thinking, is the 8500 "unique" in anyway in terms of professional calibration? I'm starting to think I want to spend the money on this, but I'm not sure if I should wait for local calibrators to perhaps have some more experience with the 8500s, or if it doesn't really matter for a pro.
post #108 of 632 Old 01-15-2010, 05:20 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Hi nicholc2,

You are correct. Since I don't advocate touching anything else other than user menu items on this forum, it was a shot in the dark when all else fails. But, the users always do have the option to restore bad experiments easily via user menus.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicholc2 View Post

Actually, you shouldn't do that at all. Those are two completely different controls. Offsets and gains affect gray scale only. They do not affect the primaries.

They do affect the secondaries in that the secondaries are derived by combining two primaries with gray to create the secondary. So if your gray is incorrect, it will also make your secondaries incorrect. You should never compensate for an incorrect secondary by changing the grays.

Tint moves the secondaries all in the same direction either toward red or green.

The best way to get this TV right is to have a good calibrator do it or get a meter/software and learn how to calibrate yourself. Anything else is just a shot in the dark and you'll probably end up making it worse instead of better.

-
- Balance Between
- Quality & Price!
post #109 of 632 Old 01-15-2010, 05:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by embit View Post

this actually has me thinking, is the 8500 "unique" in anyway in terms of professional calibration? I'm starting to think I want to spend the money on this, but I'm not sure if I should wait for local calibrators to perhaps have some more experience with the 8500s, or if it doesn't really matter for a pro.

All TVs require calibration for them to be even close to accurate. That being said, it is all up to the owner. Some find settings they are truly happy with and prefer not to have a calibration. That's fine of course. Others can't and therefore opt to have a calibration done. I will say that I have yet to find anyone that wasn't very pleased with the results. One of these babies set up correctly would be a sight to behold I'm sure. In the end it's up to you and what you're comfortable with.

I will say that for the price of these TVs, it might be worth considering. You could always put out some feelers and see what happens and if you find a reputable calibrator with a price you are comfortable with, then by all means, get it done. I'm sure you'll be happy.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #110 of 632 Old 01-15-2010, 05:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Hi nicholc2,

You are correct. Since I don't advocate touching anything else other than user menu items on this forum, it was a shot in the dark when all else fails. But, the users always do have the option to restore bad experiments easily via user menus.

Actually, Sammy has made such vast improvments in the user menu these days, I rarely enter the service menu unless the TV is so off that I have no choice. The user menus have full CMS controls, so the SM isn't as vital as it once was. That's a good thing especially for those that like to do things themselves.

post #111 of 632 Old 01-15-2010, 05:29 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

embit,

A calibrator that does this for a living and knows what he/she is doing should have no problem working on any display device that has service menu options that allow this type of fine tuning -- this is all assuming everything is in ISF certification standards.

Someone who has worked on several 8500's before would have the advantage of knowing the quirks (like blue spike) and probably finishing sooner than those who hadn't, logically. If the calibrator bills by the amount of time spent (I haven't heard of one yet) then that would probably matter more than one that charges a flat rate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by embit View Post

-
- Balance Between
- Quality & Price!
post #112 of 632 Old 01-15-2010, 06:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Got rid of my green push on Yahoos 1/3 settings by simply resetting white balance to reset 25 values.Everything looks great now and you can really see what this tv can do.Perhaps sets made 12/30 were changed a bit for the default white balance in both movie and standard seems dead perfect to my eyes.Hope others with this build date will post their experiences.

Matt
post #113 of 632 Old 01-16-2010, 06:51 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

mattg3,

This may actually suggest that they fixed the deficient green calibration in previous sets by correcting the default white balance on your batch. Without actually performing a sensor reading it is hard to say it is perfectly flat though.

Nevertheless it is good to hear that a flat 25 on all white balance setting looks pleasant to you by sight.

-
- Balance Between
- Quality & Price!
post #114 of 632 Old 01-16-2010, 09:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Yes that would be good news.Not sure myself whats going on but with you white balance from 1/3 settings all blacks and background had that greenish tinge to it.My 7 year old pioneer cmx had same problem but I got used to it but not for this set.I tried everything until just as a chance I kept all settings and defaulted the white balance and my blacks lost all hint of green,
Do you know of any reputable calibrators in the Massachusetts area of country?I live about 20 miles from Boston in Beverly on north shore.After I hit 100 hours I should probably get my one input with my oppo83 calibrated. Thanks Matt

Matt
post #115 of 632 Old 01-16-2010, 09:45 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

No I'm in California and do not do this for a living and don't know anyone in your area. However, I do recall a thread of calibrators on this forum and you may have better luck there. Someone else may be able to provide you with the link as well.

-
- Balance Between
- Quality & Price!
post #116 of 632 Old 01-17-2010, 03:48 PM

Quote:

To check your firmware version, click MENU/SUPPORT/Software Upgrade.
If your TV is plugged into the Internet, it will notify you of the update (sometimes in very distracting ways -- in the middle of a playback!) Or, you can manually go to the Software Upgrade screen to effect the update.

1009 - Corrects crop-circle effect (downgrade to 1008 allowed)
1008 - ?
1006 - Initial production firmware

My 46B8500 was manufactured in Aug 2009 with Firmware 1005
post #117 of 632 Old 01-18-2010, 06:52 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

majeex,

Thanks for the info. and updated post #1.

Seems like Samsung has been busy updating firmware since the release of this TV.

-
- Balance Between
- Quality & Price!
post #118 of 632 Old 01-20-2010, 12:29 PM

Since the folks in the "Owner's" thread are only concentrated on where to find the TV, when it's shipping, and what to do when they actually own one...I figured I'd get a better response in here:

Quote:

I've got a bizarre situation. I've noticed a fairly low-volume "popping" noise coming from my 46"8500. I heard it while watching cable from my STB and while watching a blu-ray. It SEEMS to be completely random, and I can only hear it during a quiet scene/quiet programming. I won't go through everything I did to try and remedy the situation, because now the point is moot considering I muted the TV and still heard the popping sound. This would explain why I still heard the noise while watching a blu-ray through external speakers only.

I've searched and found a little about Samsung tvs having a history of noise-making. Now that I've exhausted every option, I wanted to ask if anyone has experienced a similar situation. The absolute last thing I can think of is the cold, dry air of winter in upstate NY. Perhaps the noise is expansion/contraction?

Last night after I wrote that...I watched TV from about 12am to 3am. I heard the occasional "pop" for the first hour but by the time I turned off the TV, I was TRYING to hear a noise and never did. This leads me to believe that it is a temperature thing. My TV is in a room that doesn't get enough heat, so I'd say it's around 65F when I turn it on. Noise happens on normal volume, 0 volume, mute, even with the TV set to external speakers.
post #119 of 632 Old 01-20-2010, 01:00 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I haven't seen/heard that problem before on the 81F nor the 8500 series.

Are you feeding your external receiver with the optical out from the 8500 or does audio go to the external receiver first and then to the 8500?

-
- Balance Between
- Quality & Price!
post #120 of 632 Old 01-20-2010, 02:00 PM

I have a 24" computer monitor that has a physical "pop" to it, it's so loud you'd swear the plastic was breaking.

I've always attributed it to the display warming up from the backlights and some of the plastic backing flexing due to the temp changes.

I will say though that I regularly watch my 46" 8500 in a room that's 63-67F and I don't hear any popping at all. Also, I'd have to say that since this set uses LEDs it shouldn't experience the same temp fluctuations as a CFL set, but I guess that doesn't mean there would be none.

I think your first plan of action is to locate the source of the popping, is it physical? electrical? and go from there
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung 55 Inch Led Hdtv Un55b8500 , Samsung Pn51f8500 51 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Samsung Pn64f8500 64 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Samsung Pn60f8500 60 Inch 1080p 600hz 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page