Samsung 8500 Series Calibration/Settings - Page 5 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-20-2010, 02:09 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
If they are physical pops due to temperature changes, shouldn't they pretty much stop after the initial warm up instead of being through out the viewing?

Maybe I'm blessed to be in southern California?

-
- Balance Between
- Quality & Price!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-20-2010, 02:27 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have not determined whether it is a physical or electrical "pop." But from what I can tell, once the TV has been on for awhile the noises are very rare or gone altogether.

I hear the sound whether it's from cable (HDMI STB to TV, internal speakers) or blu-ray (HDMI PS3 to AVR590 to TV, external speakers), which leaves the TV itself making the noise.

My only concern is that it's not a "creak" or "crack" but a "pop," very similar to what you may hear when you switch inputs on a TV (if you know what I'm talking about).

Really at a loss here. And the winter weather isn't going to let up anytime soon
Old 01-20-2010, 04:19 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

The first step is identify if it is coming out from the speakers, and which ones - internal to Samsung or external connected to your receiver.

-
- Balance Between
- Quality & Price!
Old 01-20-2010, 04:40 PM

It's definitely coming out of the Samsung. I sat near the tv for about 5 minutes with it on mute, and the loudest pop I heard seemed to come from the bottom right area.
Old 01-20-2010, 05:55 PM

Has anyone had their 8500 ISF calibrated?
Old 01-20-2010, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oland View Post

It's definitely coming out of the Samsung. I sat near the tv for about 5 minutes with it on mute, and the loudest pop I heard seemed to come from the bottom right area.

Hmm bottom right? That just happens to be where the power cord goes into the back of the TV. That could mean the Power board is making the pop noises. Maybe a bad transformer or capacitor on the power board. The power board is the most common repair item in Samsung LCD TV's (Samsung repair technician told me this).
Old 01-21-2010, 08:21 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Hi oland,

Did you figure out the lip sync problem you reported before with your PS3?

-
- Balance Between
- Quality & Price!
Old 01-21-2010, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yahoo View Post

Hi oland,

Did you figure out the lip sync problem you reported before with your PS3?

I used the correction on my receiver. I had to dial the delay up to 150ms.
Old 01-21-2010, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirthawg View Post

Hmm bottom right? That just happens to be where the power cord goes into the back of the TV. That could mean the Power board is making the pop noises. Maybe a bad transformer or capacitor on the power board. The power board is the most common repair item in Samsung LCD TV's (Samsung repair technician told me this).

It's pretty bizarre. But I sat in front the muted TV like a dweeb for a good 10 minutes when turning it on (cold) and unless my ears are fooling me, I heard smaller pops from the left and a slightly louder pop from the right. After significant use the set is completely quiet...so I just don't know. It's not a dramatic problem, and I still have close to a full year on the warranty so I'm just going to try and ignore it for the moment. It sounds an awful lot like a speaker "pop" though, not plastic or metal.
Old 01-21-2010, 06:24 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

So the other blu-ray/dvd player also had the same lipsync issue? I will update post #1 if this is resolved.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oland View Post

I used the correction on my receiver. I had to dial the delay up to 150ms.

-
- Balance Between
- Quality & Price!
Old 01-21-2010, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yahoo View Post

So the other blu-ray/dvd player also had the same lipsync issue? I will update post #1 if this is resolved.

Yes, I tried a Panasonic BD-60k through the receiver and also had the same lip sync problem.
Old 01-22-2010, 09:28 AM

Is anyone connecting the 8500 to PCs? I connect my 55 8500 to my HTPC, when setting to Movie Mode, I can see obvious lag on the TV, the mouse moving track is very jerky, and when playing the TV shows I recorded, it has a lip sync problem. When I turned the Game Mode On, the lag is gone, the audio is all sync. But it locks the picture to Standard Mode. And when I set the refresh rate to 60Hz, clicks the info button, it shows 1920x1080i, switches to 24Hz, shows 1920x1080. It means when at 60Hz, I can only get 1080i, not 1080p. Anyone experience this?
Old 01-22-2010, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lt99 View Post

Is anyone connecting the 8500 to PCs? I connect my 55 8500 to my HTPC, when setting to Movie Mode, I can see obvious lag on the TV, the mouse moving track is very jerky, and when playing the TV shows I recorded, it has a lip sync problem. When I turned the Game Mode On, the lag is gone, the audio is all sync. But it locks the picture to Standard Mode. And when I set the refresh rate to 60Hz, clicks the info button, it shows 1920x1080i, switches to 24Hz, shows 1920x1080. It means when at 60Hz, I can only get 1080i, not 1080p. Anyone experience this?

How is your computer hooked up? HDMI? DVI?

If so make sure it's connected to the HDMI1 input. You may also need to rename the input to DVI (PC) or something similar to avoid lag issues.
Old 01-22-2010, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottacus View Post

How is your computer hooked up? HDMI? DVI?

If so make sure it's connected to the HDMI1 input. You may also need to rename the input to DVI (PC) or something similar to avoid lag issues.

Yes, HDMI/DVI cable from video card DVI OUT to HDMI1, and renamed to DVI PC, per the user's manual instruction.
Old 01-23-2010, 10:40 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

If you are trying to use it with PC and the Game Mode off, make sure all secondary processing features, Motion Plus, Dynmic Contrast, etc, are turned off to minimize processing delay(s) that can cause the lipsync issue.

-
- Balance Between
- Quality & Price!
Old 01-23-2010, 10:39 PM

After a week with the 1/3 settings minus the white balance tweaks, Ive come to the personal optinion that the settings just arent right. When I play modern warfare 2 with those settings, the time of day of many maps looks like the sun is about to set. Its hard to describe but its almost like the entire picture has this dull orange cast over it. I decided to try adding in the white balance settings and the "time of day" in MW2 looks correct again. I watched "The Departed" on blu ray and it looks really good. I couldnt really tell if there was a green push or not. Is there a test screen i can use to see if theres green push present? My 8500 is a december build.
Old 01-24-2010, 08:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 135
So you added yahoos white balance settings as they appear in 1/3 settings?Ill try them again but to me there was a green push but it was only day 2 in usage so maybe things have settled in.My build date is 12/30 so mine could have the green push in it.

Matt
Old 01-24-2010, 09:21 AM

Yea Im using all of the 1/3 settings as they are posted. My tv has a 12/30 build date as well. Like I said before, I havent spent too much time with the tv using the WB settings but I can tell it makes things appear more normal to me.
Old 01-24-2010, 09:32 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
I'm having mine done this week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HybridHB View Post

Has anyone had their 8500 ISF calibrated?

Old 01-24-2010, 09:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Yea Im using all of the 1/3 settings as they are posted. My tv has a 12/30 build date as well. Like I said before, I havent spent too much time with the tv using the WB settings but I can tell it makes things appear more normal to me.

Trying it this afternoon and will post results

Matt
Old 01-24-2010, 10:48 AM

Ok so I just did some more testing with different material. I am seeing a green push with the full 1/3 settings. So now its going to bother me knowing its there, although i dont notice it during movies, i can see it while playing games (tested with killzone 2 this time). So, for the 1/3 settings, I think theyre no good for 12/30 batches.

macattackman - What build date is your tv? Would you mind sharing the settings?
Old 01-24-2010, 11:07 AM

Just received the 46" and I notice that the greens are unrealistically too green. I tried Ubercool's settings (posted yesterday in the owner's thread). They look good except the oversaturation of greens. Is this what is meant by 'green push'? I also watched last weeks recorded CSI Miami and noticed certain scenes where a guys blonde hair showed green highlights, as if you were painting in green over the hair in Photoshop.

How do you know what the build date is? The TV came with 1008 firmware. Should I update to 1009? The TV shows it available, but hasn't asked me to download it yet.
Old 01-24-2010, 12:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Ok so I just did some more testing with different material. I am seeing a green push with the full 1/3 settings. So now its going to bother me knowing its there, although i dont notice it during movies, i can see it while playing games (tested with killzone 2 this time). So, for the 1/3 settings, I think theyre no good for 12/30 batches.

macattackman - What build date is your tv? Would you mind sharing the settings?

Its all about the green push on 12/30 sets.I tried 1/3 settings and used posted white balance and that really pushed green.Try white balance reset and its better.To really get rid of green push try ubercools settings that were just reposted in owners thread today.Its odd but it does work.I also would love to see settings of person getting calibrated tomorrow.I know each set is different but it might give us something to work with.Its thw white balance and custom color space that will get rid of green push but without measuring instruments we are really working in the dark.

Matt
Old 01-25-2010, 07:14 AM
AVS Special Member

I also am a bit confused on the noise reduction set to auto.Ubercools sharpness is at 69 which seems very high yet he has the noise reduction at auto to get rid of artifacts I would imagine come from the high sharpness setting.Why not lower sharpness to a 40 and shut off the noise reduction?Ive always felt noise reduction put dull haze over the picture,at least it did on my old Pioneer.How does automatic noise reduction work anyway?

Matt
Old 01-25-2010, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattg3 View Post

Its all about the green push on 12/30 sets.I tried 1/3 settings and used posted white balance and that really pushed green.Try white balance reset and its better.To really get rid of green push try ubercools settings that were just reposted in owners thread today.Its odd but it does work.I also would love to see settings of person getting calibrated tomorrow.I know each set is different but it might give us something to work with.Its thw white balance and custom color space that will get rid of green push but without measuring instruments we are really working in the dark.

Hi Matt- I understand about the green push. I've been playing with getting rid of this as well. I'm currently using davidjschenk's latest settings and it does have some green push. I have kept his exact settings and lowered the white balance/ green gain by one click and that seemed to do the trick to my satisfaction. I've learned from playing with the white balance and color settings that one click one way or the other can make a drastic difference. I found that removing the green push can be done easily but at a high cost to the rest of the colors. This one degree difference is looking good to me at the moment.
Old 01-25-2010, 08:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by A10 Titan View Post

Hi Matt- I understand about the green push. I've been playing with getting rid of this as well. I'm currently using davidjschenk's latest settings and it does have some green push. I have kept his exact settings and lowered the white balance/ green gain by one click and that seemed to do the trick to my satisfaction. I've learned from playing with the white balance and color settings that one click one way or the other can make a drastic difference. I found that removing the green push can be done easily but at a high cost to the rest of the colors. This one degree difference is looking good to me at the moment.

Getting confused on these settings.where do i find davids latest settings?When i find them Ill try what you said.

Matt
Old 01-25-2010, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattg3 View Post

Getting confused on these settings.where do i find davids latest settings?When i find them Ill try what you said.

Here you go...(Note the change I made)

Movie mode
Backlight 5
Contrast 86
Brightness 47
Sharpness 0
Color 50
Tint 50/50
Color Tone Warm2
Size Screen Fit
AMP Custom
Antiblur 10
Antijudder 2
SmartLED On

Black Tone Off
Dynamic Contrast Off
Gamma -1
Color Space Custom

Color Space
Red: R 39
G 4
B 0
Green: R 28
G 45
B 19
Blue: R 0
G 15
B 33
Yellow: R 53
G 47
B 19
Cyan: R 19
G 48
B 49
Magenta: R 37
G 17
B 39

White Balance
R-Off 25
G-Off 25 (I moved this down one click to 24 - You can try 23 but it seemed to offset other colors)
B-Off 20
R-Gain 43
G-Gain 26
B-Gain 32
Old 01-25-2010, 11:13 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I was able to find some time today to see the effect of dropping the WHITE BALANCE GREEN OFFSET to 23/24 on the 1/3 settings, and found that it decreased the RED. For those of you that want to experiment with this to reduce green push, you can take the WGO down to 24 and bump the WRO to 21 to compensate and both readings stay within 5% of the Sencore, assuming your 8500 behaves the same as mine.

Just out of curiosity I decided to test the MOVIE MODE with WARM1, WARM3, and NORMAL SETTINGS instead of WARM2 and noticed that the scales are off the charts. For the simple reason that Samsung decided to label one of them "NORMAL," I decided to calibrate against that one only, to 6500K. The results are posted in #1 since there is a chance someone may be able to benefit from this. Please note that the brightness was correspondingly dropped to 44 for the NORMAL mode.

All feedbacks are welcomed.

P.S. The latest settings from davidjschenk as posted above has also been posted in #1 since it is referenced in this thread as well as having been confirmed useable by others. When I get some more time I will let you know how they compare to my 8500.

-
- Balance Between
- Quality & Price!
Old 01-25-2010, 11:22 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

On the 81F series the build date is decodable. Judging from the format of the serial # on the 8500 it looks to be the same so I posted the information on how to decode 81F in post #1 as reference. Others may be able to chime in if this indeed reflects the correct information.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jet-Jockey View Post

How do you know what the build date is? The TV came with 1008 firmware. Should I update to 1009? The TV shows it available, but hasn't asked me to download it yet.

-
- Balance Between
- Quality & Price!
Old 01-25-2010, 12:09 PM

I just purchased the 8500 from Best Buy and they threw in the calibration for free. The tv is being delivered tommorow and calibration is scheduled for March 5th. I'll post my settings at that time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
Samsung 55 Inch Led Hdtv Un55b8500 , Samsung Pn51f8500 51 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Samsung Pn64f8500 64 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Samsung Pn60f8500 60 Inch 1080p 600hz 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv
Gear in this thread