For ISF Calibrators - Samsung Workflow/Service Menu Questions & Info - AVS Forum

AVS Forum > Display Devices > LCD Flat Panel Displays > For ISF Calibrators - Samsung Workflow/Service Menu Questions & Info

LCD Flat Panel Displays

Quad5Ny's Avatar Quad5Ny
12:47 PM Liked: 10
post #1 of 1
12-10-2009 | Posts: 120
First off hi, and thanks to anyone that takes the time to read this.

So I was wondering if any ISF Calibrators who have had experience with some of some of this year's/last year's LCD's(maybe plasmas as they have mostly the same software) could give some advise on these questions.

1.) What's your work flow for current Samsung's like?
2.) What service item's are worth changing?
3.) Without a high speed accurate camera, what is the best way to calibrate the audio delay for AV Receivers/The internal Speakers?
4.) Is there a CMS inside the Service menu?
5.) Is there a way to fix the Chroma blurring when not in PC' Mode? See: This Thread, This Post and This Post.
5a.) Is there a way to get 'PC Mode' to work on anything other than VGA/HDMI1?
6.) Is it possible to get 24hz movies to play at 24hz without 2:2/5:5/10:10 pull-down?
7.) Is it better to have a smooth greyscale or a more accurate one? Which would be better Pic1 or Pic2? (Not a real calibration, just a example I made in photoshop)

8.) Is it better to have your Primary/Secondary color Saturation be accurate at 100% or at 50/75%?
9.) Any other suggestions for someone who is new at this?

So far I've found:
A.) FBE3 > Skin-UV which is set to 133 by default and introduces a small red push (changing it to 128 fixes the problem)

B.) FBE3 > FBE Sub-Color Which is set to 132 by default, and I'm assuming it acts like a low level tint control (so I set it to a neutral 128).

C.) Control > SOUND > S/PDIF Delay Normal & S/PDIF Delay Game are not set in relation to each other. For example if you calibrate your speaker lag and then switch to game mode your speakers will be out of sync again. Adding a 16ms delay to S/PDIF Delay Normal fixed this and now they're both in sync. Note: Values are in Hexadecimal and I also haven't tested Auxout yet, it would not surprise me if its off as well.

D.) By going to Expert > N/D ADJ you can enable Samsungs equivalent to ISF Day/ISF Night and then Lock it down when you're finished. To lock it down change its value to 'FIX' and go into Control > Sub Option > ND ADJ Support and set that to 'OFF'.

E.)
You can use Control > Sub Option > Gamma to adjust the gamma target on Dynamic mode and Natural mode(has no effect on Standard/Normal/CalDay or CalNight).

F.) You can adjust white balance while in the service menu following these steps -
F1.) Change WB Movie > W/B MOVIE ON/OFF to 'ON'
F2.) Change MODE to Movie
F3.) Change Color Tone to whatever you had the intention to calibrate (Standard is a good choice because EVERY mode has it).
F4.) Change the Backlight setting in WB Movie is set to what you want to calibrate with.
F5.) Adjust MSub Brightness and MSub Contrast to your likening
F6.) Go to ADC/WB > White Balance and make sure Sub Brightness and Sub Contrast Match what is in WB Movie(Otherwise your results will be off in all other Modes)
F7.) Go to FBE3 and set Skin-UV/FBE Sub color/M-Skin-UV/M-Sub Color to 128.
F8.) Set M_Sub_Gamma to the value you going to use later on (it's the same as the Gamma control in the User Menu).
F9.) Go to ADC/WB > White Balance and set Offset/Gain for Red and Blue.(Ignore the Movie settings, they're locked because it's in relation to some settings in WB Movie).
F10.) Go back to W/B Movie and change these settings back to defaults change: M_Sub_Gamma to 0, Movie Backlight to 4, Color Tone to Warm2, Mode to Dynamic, and finally W/B MOVIE ON/OFF to OFF(Leave MSub Brightness and MSub Contrast the way you set them).

G.) Adjusting Tint and Color is a bad idea. Tint messes with things you don't expect it to. And Color doesn't affect the Y value of the Primary's/Secondary's

H.) Don't use the green controls for white balance, it's there for reference only (Changing it will affect your overall brightness and contrast).

I.) Forced Auto-Dimming Can be turned off by going to CE DIMMING and changing all 3 values to OFF. Contrast Enhanced dimming can still be used by either Enabling Dynamic Contrast or turning Energy Saving to Auto.

J.) You can change the UI to either Red or Blue by Going to Control > Sub Option > UI Color(basic is missing some icon's).

K.) Edge Enhancement (in the user menu) doesn't work on Luminance but instead it smooth's out the chroma.

L.) BD Wise only half works. Sometimes it decides to switch to 480i when playing a movie even though the selected resolution is 1080p(for your sanity, I would recommend leaving it off).

Note: Some of these things have to be changed for each Input, as they're not system wide. Also to access some of the menus you too to Highlight 'Advanced' and press 0, 0, 0, 0 on your remote.

Average Users: DO NOT GO INTO THE SERVICE MENU UNLESS YOU KNOW WHAT YOU ARE DOING
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Subscribe to this Thread