Sony KDL-52XBR4..how bad am I screwed? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 21 Old 12-12-2009, 09:50 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Bought this TV about 18 months ago. Has been awesome until a week ago. Suddenly I have faint verticle lines all the way across the screen and the brightness flickers randomly. At first I thought it was my cable company, but it also does it when playing a DVD. I didn't buy the extended warranty cuz I was planning to add it later, but lost my job before that could happen. So...since its a Sony...and they have screwed me twice in the past...how bad am I screwed this time? Its probably another major component/expensive repair again. Bad thing is...I still owe $1000 on it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 12-12-2009, 10:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by txturbo View Post

Bought this TV about 18 months ago. Has been awesome until a week ago. Suddenly I have faint verticle lines all the way across the screen and the brightness flickers randomly. At first I thought it was my cable company, but it also does it when playing a DVD. I didn't buy the extended warranty cuz I was planning to add it later, but lost my job before that could happen. So...since its a Sony...and they have screwed me twice in the past...how bad am I screwed this time? Its probably another major component/expensive repair again. Bad thing is...I still owe $1000 on it.

if you used a creadit card you may still be covered
most credit cards double manu warranty
so you may have a few months left?
post #3 of 21 Old 12-12-2009, 10:37 AM - Thread Starter

I used the Circuit City credit card, which is now the Best Buy credit card. Do they double the warranty?
post #4 of 21 Old 12-12-2009, 12:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
The one year extra warranty is specific to the type of credit card you have (like Gold or World, etc.), not the issuer. You have to call the customer service number on the back of the card and ask them.
post #5 of 21 Old 12-12-2009, 09:53 PM

If you say it's about 18months ago, chances are then maybe you are not too far out of warranty then which I would suggest you call Sony and see if they give you some type of program for re-imbursement/trade-in. It's a common problem among XBR4/5 and who knows.. it's worth a shot
post #6 of 21 Old 12-13-2009, 07:38 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mes444 View Post

The one year extra warranty is specific to the type of credit card you have (like Gold or World, etc.), not the issuer. You have to call the customer service number on the back of the card and ask them.

Unfortunately...no extended warranty with my credit card. Looks like the problem is getting worse also. Starting to see very faint horizontal lines now. I've had this same problem with every Sony product I've ever owned except for one....a digital camcorder. First Sony product I bought was the car CD player when they first came out. Lasted 1 year and started skipping for no reason. Found out later there was a board design flaw, had to ship it off with $100 and they sent me a newer model. It lasted about a year, but this time they didn't do anything for me. Bought one of those all in one surround sound systems for $700 about 5 years ago.It lasted about 2 years then developed a squealing noise. Turned out to be some flaw in the main board. Shipped it off and they charged me $150 to replace the whole main board in it. Now this TV. The camcorder is 10 years old and still works perfectly. Never had any trouble. Sony products are awesome while they work...just don't last very long for what they cost.
post #7 of 21 Old 12-13-2009, 07:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Call Sony and see if they will help you out on repair costs. Going forward never buy HT gear you can't pay cash for, it really sucks when something breaks and you still owe on it.
post #8 of 21 Old 12-13-2009, 08:50 AM
AVS Special Member

tx, Last Sony product I bought was a 36" CRT, super expensive at the time tv. One year and a few days into it's very pampered life, the picture tube died. The picture tube! Sony finally agreed to fix it after I wrote to their supreme leader in Japan, but till then they were not going to do anything.

Anyway, Sony is not the Sony of the old days. I've moved on to Samsung, and so far their products have been much better than Sony.

Moral of the Story..tho times have changed and all, if all else fails, send their CEO in Japan a note (certified snail mail) and see what happens.
post #9 of 21 Old 12-13-2009, 02:48 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Servicetech571 View Post

Call Sony and see if they will help you out on repair costs. Going forward never buy HT gear you can't pay cash for, it really sucks when something breaks and you still owe on it.

I paid cash for most of it and had planned to pay it off before the 12 months no interest deal ran out...but then I lost my job so they added all that interest on after the 12 months.
post #10 of 21 Old 12-13-2009, 03:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I paid cash for most of it and had planned to pay it off before the 12 months no interest deal ran out...but then I lost my job so they added all that interest on after the 12 months.

That's what the "1yr same as cash" people are counting on. They want something to come up and then backslam you with a years worth of interest. They hit 80% of the people who take out a "1yr same as cash" loans, something usually comes up for most people. If you ever find yourself in that spot again move the balance to another credit card so they don't pop you with the 1yr of back interest.
post #11 of 21 Old 12-13-2009, 04:28 PM

Quote:

I've moved on to Samsung, and so far their products have been much better than Sony.

LOL.
sorry.
post #12 of 21 Old 12-13-2009, 06:28 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Servicetech571 View Post

That's what the "1yr same as cash" people are counting on. They want something to come up and then backslam you with a years worth of interest. They hit 80% of the people who take out a "1yr same as cash" loans, something usually comes up for most people. If you ever find yourself in that spot again move the balance to another credit card so they don't pop you with the 1yr of back interest.

I couldn't even do that...that was the only card I had. I gave up regular credit cards after the first ex-wife.
post #13 of 21 Old 01-12-2010, 03:57 PM - Thread Starter

TV is at the repair shop. Has been for 10 days now. They are telling me the TCON boards are on backorder. I may never get this TV back.
post #14 of 21 Old 01-12-2010, 06:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I used the Circuit City credit card, which is now the Best Buy credit card. Do they double the warranty?

No.
post #15 of 21 Old 01-12-2010, 06:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

tx, Last Sony product I bought was a 36" CRT, super expensive at the time tv. One year and a few days into it's very pampered life, the picture tube died. The picture tube! Sony finally agreed to fix it after I wrote to their supreme leader in Japan, but till then they were not going to do anything.

Anyway, Sony is not the Sony of the old days. I've moved on to Samsung, and so far their products have been much better than Sony.

Moral of the Story..tho times have changed and all, if all else fails, send their CEO in Japan a note (certified snail mail) and see what happens.

So are you going to write Korea when the samsung fails? Samsung certainitly does not have a good rep for quality control. And I hope you enjoy their customer service, good luck.
post #16 of 21 Old 01-12-2010, 06:28 PM
AVS Special Member

The xbr4 seems to be a real problem for Sony. There have been numerous compliants lately for the xbr4. Reminds me of the xbr1 sxrd.
post #17 of 21 Old 01-13-2010, 11:55 AM - Thread Starter

well now I have 2 Sony TVs that crapped out. The 42" Plasma is going in the shop next week. I learned my lesson. I now have a cheap Panasonic 32" LCD for backup when the Sonys are in the shop.
post #18 of 21 Old 01-18-2010, 07:47 PM - Thread Starter

My 52" XBR4 will be back home this wed. New tcon board and panel.
post #19 of 21 Old 01-18-2010, 08:14 PM

Quote:

well now I have 2 Sony TVs that crapped out. The 42" Plasma is going in the shop next week. I learned my lesson. I now have a cheap Panasonic 32" LCD for backup when the Sonys are in the shop.

A Sony plasma? Wow, I wonder how old that is!
I've never seen one myself
post #20 of 21 Old 01-19-2010, 04:52 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bk.secret23 View Post

A Sony plasma? Wow, I wonder how old that is!
I've never seen one myself

Its a 2005 model.
post #21 of 21 Old 01-19-2010, 06:12 AM
Advanced Member

I've had my 52XBR4 since the TV first came out and I haven't had any problems with it all all. The TV is on like 16 hours/day, 7 days a week. Between me, my wife and our 3 kids, someone is always watching the TV. We have Uverse, gaming and BD/DVD. I bought the extended service plan and I've never even needed it. I guess it's just luck of the draw, I wish I could transfer my plan to you but for all I know it expired, I haven't looked at the receipt for that in 2 years.

52XBR4
55HX929
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page