Does this TV exist - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 16 Old 12-12-2009, 02:44 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm in the market for a 32" LCD or LED 1080 TV for a bedroom, but I can't find one with the characteristics I'm looking for. Maybe you've seen one.

I want a TV with a matte frame. I don't understand why most manufacturers nowadays use a reflective piano black finish for the frame. Why would I want an annoying reflective frame around my nice non-reflective screen?

I want a TV with front-facing speakers. Last time I checked, people watch a television while they're in front of it looking at the screen. Why would I want the speakers facing the other direction? Especially if it's enclosed in an entertainment center of some sort.
I guess downward or rear-facing speakers are fine for those who connect external speakers. But since I don't plan to do that, TVs without front-facing speakers are out of the running.

I want a TV with at least 2 HDMI ports on the back. I've looked at Sony's current 32" 1080p sets, and they have 3 HDMI ports, but, 2 of them are on the side. Huh? 2 ports on the side are fine as long as there are atleast 2 on the back first. I don't want a wire permenantly connected to the side of the TV. That'd look sort of silly.

So, by the time I eliminate all the TVs that don't have the charcteristics above, there ain't much left. A decent contrast ratio and a decent remote would also be nice. Too much to ask for?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 12-12-2009, 02:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Someone needs to create a Website that allows you to key in the features that you're looking for and up pops the perfect television.

OPPO BETA GROUP
post #3 of 16 Old 12-12-2009, 02:50 PM

Not cheap, and the bezel is glossy, but ...

http://nuvision.com/downloads/specs/NVUL_FX5.pdf
post #4 of 16 Old 12-12-2009, 02:59 PM - Thread Starter

Interesting. I had never heard of NuVision before. Thanks.
post #5 of 16 Old 12-12-2009, 03:01 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph3 View Post

I'm in the market for a 32" LCD or LED 1080 TV for a bedroom, but I can't find one with the characteristics I'm looking for. Maybe you've seen one.

I want a TV with a matte frame. I don't understand why most manufacturers nowadays use a reflective piano black finish for the frame. Why would I want an annoying reflective frame around my nice non-reflective screen?

I want a TV with front-facing speakers. Last time I checked, people watch a television while they're in front of it looking at the screen. Why would I want the speakers facing the other direction? Especially if it's enclosed in an entertainment center of some sort.
I guess downward or rear-facing speakers are fine for those who connect external speakers. But since I don't plan to do that, TVs without front-facing speakers are out of the running.

I want a TV with at least 2 HDMI ports on the back. I've looked at Sony's current 32" 1080p sets, and they have 3 HDMI ports, but, 2 of them are on the side. Huh? 2 ports on the side are fine as long as there are atleast 2 on the back first. I don't want a wire permenantly connected to the side of the TV. That'd look sort of silly.

So, by the time I eliminate all the TVs that don't have the charcteristics above, there ain't much left. A decent contrast ratio and a decent remote would also be nice. Too much to ask for?

1.) LCD and LED are the same, the difference between them is the backlight used to light the screen(glass part) - LCD is CCFL Lit: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cold_cathode || LED is Lit by a White LED: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Light-emitting_diode

2.) I can't understand why they go with huge piano black frames either. What ever happened to thin matte finished frames =(

3.) Most manufactures don't 'Haze' the screens anymore because it costs a few more dollars (8% Haze, 12% Haze, Ect. -That's what its officially called to manufactures). Don't let that effect your decision. If you do your going to be severely limiting your choices.

4.) Same thing with the speakers. Most of them use crap speakers to save money(even though they have extra space because of the huge bezels that current TV's have). I'm sorry I wish I could tell you there was a 32" set that had good speakers. =(

5.) Don't pay any attention to contrast ratio, ITS FAKE. They can make up any number they want(seriously). Instead take a look at the TV in person. For example: My Samsung B750 has a listed contrast ratio of 150,000:1, in real life its 1300:1 at best(closer to 950:1 when properly setup).

6.) Placement of the HDMI ports? Eh, your going to have to tackle that one yourself.

Try Sony,Samsung or any other that uses PVA/MVA screens. Those types of screens have better black levels and contrast ratios(but they are worse for gaming). If you want something to game on, try LG or Panasonic(I hear Panasonic's IPS Alpha tech is wonderful for gaming).
post #6 of 16 Old 12-12-2009, 03:04 PM - Thread Starter

Wait, when I first read "bezel" I was thinking only the base was glossy. Now I realize "bezel" referes to the frame around the screen. That's no good.... that's no good.
post #7 of 16 Old 12-12-2009, 03:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 82
Quote:

Wait, when I first read "bezel" I was thinking only the base was glossy. Now I realize "bezel" referes to the frame around the screen. That's no good.... that's no good.

Hmmmm, guess you won't be buying a TV then since all of them have glossy bezels (frames). Of course, if you have a good belt sander and some masking tape...

By the way, the people I know don't watch the bezel. They watch the pretty pictures "inside" the bezel.

As for front firing speakers in a 32" TV, check out Sony, Toshiba, or Vizio.
post #8 of 16 Old 12-12-2009, 03:17 PM - Thread Starter

The closest I've come to finding one that works are Vizio's VOJ320F1A and VL320M. I wish one of the old-timers like Sony, Samsung, JVC, Toshiba, etc offered one, but all of theirs have shiny frames.

Any one have any thoughts, good or bad, about the Vizios? They get good reviews. But I looked at the VOJ320F1A lastnight, and the black levels didn't look too good to me. I've also read they are really slow to turn on, and slow to change channels. And I'm not sure about the remotes. Man, finding a perfect TV is hard.
post #9 of 16 Old 12-12-2009, 03:18 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoilerJim View Post

Hmmmm, guess you won't be buying a TV then since all of them have glossy bezels (frames). Of course, if you have a good belt sander and some masking tape...

Good idea, thanks!
post #10 of 16 Old 12-12-2009, 03:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 82
Quote:

The closest I've come to finding one that works are Vizio's VOJ320F1A and VL320M. I wish one of the old-timers like Sony, Samsung, JVC, Toshiba, etc offered one, but all of theirs have shiny frames.

Any one have any thoughts, good or bad, about the Vizios? They get good reviews. But I looked at the VOJ320F1A lastnight, and the black levels didn't look too good to me. I've also read they are really slow to turn on, and slow to change channels. And I'm not sure about the remotes. Man, finding a perfect TV is hard.

Personally, I'd spend less time worrying about the bezel and more time concentrating on the picture quality since that's ultimately what you buy a TV for anyway. I'd pass on the Vizio. If you don't care that much for it now, you'll most likely hate it when you get home.

P.S. Everyone has their own definition of the perfect TV.
post #11 of 16 Old 12-12-2009, 03:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 37
If you wait long enough, the shiny bezel look should disappear.
Look at how they fluctuate back & forth with all black, mostly black or silver frames.
Maybe, no frame is next.

OPPO BETA GROUP
post #12 of 16 Old 12-12-2009, 03:57 PM - Thread Starter

Oh yes, the "no frame" look would work for me! lol
post #13 of 16 Old 12-12-2009, 04:03 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:

Oh yes, the "no frame" look would work for me! lol

The Philips 6000 Series have a very small frame(and a dam nice looking remote!), I'm not sure about their quality though.

http://www.consumer.philips.com/c/te...04d_f7/prd/us/
post #14 of 16 Old 12-12-2009, 09:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
It's a 32" TV. Unless you are using it at computer monitor viewing distances don't sink too much money into it. A 720p set is just fine for normal distance viewing. Better yet upgrade your living room TV and move the old one to the bedroom
post #15 of 16 Old 12-12-2009, 10:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 14
1. I hear you, but a THIN piano black should be fine. The silver trim of some bother me much more. Am highly attracted to Samsung's TOC. Sammy's iPod-like (my naming) bezels seems like it's highly reflective, but I find they don't bother me. As said the TOC gives it a, literally Touch-Of-Class wo being annoying.

2. I personally don't like front-firing speakers because they mar the look of an otherwise sleek bezel. But if you are going to have it in a cabinet AND no external speaker, well that's your limitation. If pressed, I prefer front firing speakers hanging on both sides rather than hanging below, I like symmetry, shoot me.

3. Can't help you there unless they offer u custom-made TVs. How about some right-angled connector cables?

Best of luck.

Solution: FREE. Explanation: I will have to charge$ you.

post #16 of 16 Old 05-06-2012, 05:53 AM

Hi Ralph3,

Thanks for your post, I appreciate I am a few years late but can I ask, did you ever manage to find a nice fair priced television with speakers on the front?

My reason for wanting one is that mine is for the bedroom and I do not want the sound bouncing off the walls before it gets to me, I watch late night telly and want it nice and quiet, almost whispery. Its to help with the painful loss of my recently departed panasonic cathode ray model which had speakers on the front in the left and right sides of the bezel.

Amazingly I did see one in Sainsburys by a company called E-motion. Bit cheap, slightly naff, not sony etc but the speakers built into the front all along the bottom looked almost old school and I really liked it. But they are out of stock and I'm informed that there is a fairly high return rate (although for legal reasons I will say this is partly rumour).

If you read this, did you find any reasonably nice 32 inch tellys with speakers in the front?

Many thanks to you.

Steven_m
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page