Firmware Hack And Firmware updates LG LH/LF Series - Page 10 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #271 of 700 Old 04-09-2010, 06:12 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Devil-Strike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 50
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
My 37lf2500 from september 2009 have a LGD panel, updates without a problem.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Fllip View Post

Hello, i bought LG 37 lh3000 tomorow and now i am looking for safest way to enable USB video. Can i use a Irda(s60v3) hack on Fw. 3.63? Or only downgrade Fw.? I read that downgrade and then upgrade is dangerous becaus it may be brick the tv...

Thanks for answers

sry 4 bad engl. :-)

You can use the IRDA hack on v3,63.
Devil-Strike is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #272 of 700 Old 04-09-2010, 08:32 AM
Member
 
sangos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 44
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devil-Strike View Post

My 37lf2500 from september 2009 have a LGD panel, updates without a problem.




You can use the IRDA hack on v3,63.

I updated the LG USB hack wiki with a programming guide for most Universal remotes for getting into the service menus.
sangos is offline  
post #273 of 700 Old 04-10-2010, 01:30 AM
Newbie
 
mokush's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi all!
Is it possible to use the fw 3.55 for a 22 LH2000?
Has anyone tried it already?
mokush is offline  
post #274 of 700 Old 04-10-2010, 01:19 PM
Newbie
 
notawhizzkid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdkerm View Post

Hmm I cant see that on the Readme file, the only 32 it lists are:
32LH4000-ZA
32LH4010-ZD
32LH4020-ZC
32LH4900-ZD
32LH5000-ZB
32LH5020-ZE

Do you reckon it'll be ok anyway?

Cheers.

I guess you've sorted this now as it was a few months back but I have an LG 32LH3000.

I rolled back the firmware in the TV from 3.55 to 3.15 and applied the USB hack successfully, great I thought, just a simple task of re-applying the 3.55 so went off to download it and put it on the USB stick....Then I started panicking a bit after I'd downloaded the file and seen there was a readme file, like you I spotted in the 3.55 firmware read me file that the 32LH3000 was not listed , I was kicking myself a a bit as I I'd read through all the USB hack details half a dozen times and my TV was definitely listed so I thought plain sailing.

I thought about leaving the firmware at 3.15 as the telly seemed to be working OK but would of been a bad idea I guess? So I thought ahh sod it at re-applied the 3.55 firmware, that's what it had installed when I bought it so was confident it would be ok as all the net guides for the USB hack listed the 32LH3000, though was bricking myself when it was upgrading it incase I ended up with a brick.....but it was all OK.....certainly a nice extra of the TV now to view media files via the USB.
notawhizzkid is offline  
post #275 of 700 Old 04-10-2010, 05:34 PM
vws
Newbie
 
vws's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 10
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by sangos View Post

I updated the LG USB hack wiki with a programming guide for most Universal remotes for getting into the service menus.

Thanks, will borrow one and give it a try later on. BTW, has anyone over JP1 remote forums found the code for IN_Stop menu?
vws is offline  
post #276 of 700 Old 04-11-2010, 03:01 AM
Newbie
 
roklipni's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi, I'd like to thank everyone for the help, the USB hack works fabulous on my 32LH3000, but I've got an issue with the subtitles.

At the beginning of a movie, they work fine, but after a couple of seconds they disappear, even though they work fine on the PC. Sometimes the subtitles don't even appear, and sometimes they work fine during the whole movie.

Does anyone else have this kind of a problem?
roklipni is offline  
post #277 of 700 Old 04-11-2010, 03:14 AM
Newbie
 
sabosim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 3
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by vws View Post

Thanks, will borrow one and give it a try later on. BTW, has anyone over JP1 remote forums found the code for IN_Stop menu?

That interested me too, you know someone?
sabosim is offline  
post #278 of 700 Old 04-11-2010, 10:34 AM
Member
 
Maximusro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 24
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalblocker View Post

Yes, At the moment it seems there are at least four panels.
For some reasons I don't know I'm the only one (for now) who has got the SHARP panel - you can see it on the SERVICE MENU.

Can you please be a little more specific? which entry in the service menu shows that?
Maximusro is offline  
post #279 of 700 Old 04-12-2010, 04:44 AM
Newbie
 
digitalblocker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 10
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximusro View Post

Can you please be a little more specific? which entry in the service menu shows that?

After you entered in the SERVICE MENU (password 0000)....etc....
You have to enter EZ ADJUST voice 0. (Tool Option 1) and see what is written on MAKER....
Maker: {LGD,CMO,AU0,SHARP} these are the 4 options.
almost everybody has got the panel LGD or AUO......
This is what I heard....
digitalblocker is offline  
post #280 of 700 Old 04-12-2010, 02:09 PM
Member
 
sangos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 44
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by vws View Post

Thanks, will borrow one and give it a try later on. BTW, has anyone over JP1 remote forums found the code for IN_Stop menu?

Yep IN_STOP
015 for older remotes
00015 for new ones

I will update that in the wiki thanks
sangos is offline  
post #281 of 700 Old 04-12-2010, 04:01 PM
Newbie
 
cube320's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello i have just brought a lg 32lh2000 it had v3.55 installed. I have completed the hack and it works.

The problem i have is that i can not upgrade back to 3.55. I have downloaded the file (three times) for 3.55 and put it on my usb stick in the correct folder. When i plug the usb in it reads the usb and the three options come up (Movies,Pictures etc) and does not ask me if i want to upgrade.

I tryed to un zip the file but it just a txt file that comes up and in that list my tv is not listed but came with v3.55 when i checked be for i downgraded it?

Ant help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks
cube320 is offline  
post #282 of 700 Old 04-13-2010, 09:32 AM
Newbie
 
notawhizzkid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by cube320 View Post

Hello i have just brought a lg 32lh2000 it had v3.55 installed. I have completed the hack and it works.

The problem i have is that i can not upgrade back to 3.55. I have downloaded the file (three times) for 3.55 and put it on my usb stick in the correct folder. When i plug the usb in it reads the usb and the three options come up (Movies,Pictures etc) and does not ask me if i want to upgrade.

I tryed to un zip the file but it just a txt file that comes up and in that list my tv is not listed but came with v3.55 when i checked be for i downgraded it?

Ant help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks

In the zip file should be the readme and the 3.55 EPK file, if that's missing try a different download place. I think you need to unzip it anyway and put the EPK file in the LG_DTV folder, I don't think the TV will be able to pick it up if you just stick the zip file in the LG_DTV folder, I unzipped it and copied just the EPK file into the LG_DTV folder on the USB stick.

As soon as I stuck the USB stick into the TV it automatically picked it up and asked if I wanted to install the 3.55 firmware. My TV wasn't listed either in the readme but it was OK.
notawhizzkid is offline  
post #283 of 700 Old 04-13-2010, 03:09 PM
Newbie
 
cube320's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by notawhizzkid View Post

In the zip file should be the readme and the 3.55 EPK file, if that's missing try a different download place. I think you need to unzip it anyway and put the EPK file in the LG_DTV folder, I don't think the TV will be able to pick it up if you just stick the zip file in the LG_DTV folder, I unzipped it and copied just the EPK file into the LG_DTV folder on the USB stick.

As soon as I stuck the USB stick into the TV it automatically picked it up and asked if I wanted to install the 3.55 firmware. My TV wasn't listed either in the readme but it was OK.

Thank you so much for your reply. I have just tryed what you said and it works. Thanks

I downloaded antoher file and when i extracted it, there was a readme file and a LG_DTV folder was extracted...

Once again thanks
cube320 is offline  
post #284 of 700 Old 04-14-2010, 01:32 AM
Member
 
Maximusro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 24
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
For who ever is in charge of the LG Irda Wiki: please note there is a link no longer valid in the wiki:
-In the FAQ (which is not numbered), the 2nd link (to the codebase for Novi Remote for PPC). Maybe someone can give a valid link so I can download it ?

Also, there is absolutely no way to download the demo version of the Novi Remote for Symbian v2. Maybe someone can share that too ?

UPDATE: the remocon codebase does NOT work on 32LH5000, it is actually build for a 20" lg monitor with tv built in.
I am trying to understand how to modify the .pdb file for novii remote, but no succes so far.
Maximusro is offline  
post #285 of 700 Old 04-17-2010, 02:34 AM
Newbie
 
sanmi69's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
how about 22ld320??? it is posible to hack???
sanmi69 is offline  
post #286 of 700 Old 04-17-2010, 11:55 AM
Newbie
 
sanmi69's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
it works on 22LD320
sanmi69 is offline  
post #287 of 700 Old 04-18-2010, 02:05 AM
Newbie
 
Parkdean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 7
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgie3 View Post

These will probably not work, but you can give it a shot:

1)
To recover an apparently dead lg set you'll need

* a computer with a serial port
* a null modem cable
* a terminal emulation program with file transfer capability (zmodem protocol)
* a good firmware file (*.epk)
* a little care
* a lot of patience

If you don't understand the meaning of anything in this list it's better you call lg service

Warning, incorrect operations could irreparably damage your set

This is the sequence of actions:

1. turn off the tv (by removing the power cable or using the on/off switch, all leds must be off)
2. connect the service port on the tv to the computer serial port with a null modem cable
3. start the terminal emulation program an set the speed at 115200, 8 data bits, no parity, 1 stop bit, no hardware or software handshake
4. turn on the tv and at the same time press Esc on the keyboard. It may be necessary to press Esc more than once
5. if everything goes well, you'll be greeted by a "Mstar #" prompt (here you can write help to obtain a list of available commands in the u-boot bootloader)
6. issue the swuz command (software upload zmodem). the tv will await the file
7. in the terminal emulation program select the correct firmware file (.epk) to send to the tv
8. don't touch anything and hope there's no power cut (it's a long process!)
9. once the file has been successfully transferred, turn off the tv
10. disconnect the serial cable
11. turn on the tv and hopefully it will work
12. dance, sing and think how you can thank tester13a (the author of this procedure)

Georgie3.
I have bricked my 37LH7000. I was not after the USB hack. I downgraded the firmware to 3.15 to enable the "THX" options to get rid of the "soap opera" feel to movies via the USB stick, that went fine. When I upgraded the firmware back to 3.63, thats when it went tits up!
The TV is only 2 weeks old and can be replaced if needed, but I would rather try and sort it myself first.

Right, I have followed your translated post to the letter. I connected my TV to my PC via a null modem cable, fired up the TV and pushed the escape key on my keyboard and got the mstar# prompt.

***Does getting the mstar# prompt mean the the connection has been made to the TV from my PC?***

I typed in the "swuz" command, that went fine. Trouble is, I cannot find a way to send the .epk firmware over to the TV? There is a section at the bottom of the tool to send files, but when it asks for the file, I select the .epk file and click send, nothing happens!
I am using a tool called "Terminal V1.9b", and noticed it was last updated in 2004!!! This may be why, as I am running Win 7 64 bit and it may not work properly in win 7 64 bit.
I have looked on the site where you got the info from and cannot see what tool they used.
What "terminal emulation program with file transfer capability" did they use on that site? Or is there one you could recommend that is up to date?

Many thanks and regards...Parkdean.
Parkdean is offline  
post #288 of 700 Old 04-18-2010, 04:34 PM
Newbie
 
pantzini's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by mokush View Post

Hi all!
Is it possible to use the fw 3.55 for a 22 LH2000?
Has anyone tried it already?

Hi, I own the same model and it came with that version from the store, so I'd say yes. I used the downgrade method, and successfully upgraded back to 3.55 and then to 3.63.
pantzini is offline  
post #289 of 700 Old 04-18-2010, 11:47 PM
Member
 
Georgie3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 82
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parkdean View Post

Georgie3.
I have bricked my 37LH7000. I was not after the USB hack. I downgraded the firmware to 3.15 to enable the "THX" options to get rid of the "soap opera" feel to movies via the USB stick, that went fine. When I upgraded the firmware back to 3.63, thats when it went tits up!
The TV is only 2 weeks old and can be replaced if needed, but I would rather try and sort it myself first.

Right, I have followed your translated post to the letter. I connected my TV to my PC via a null modem cable, fired up the TV and pushed the escape key on my keyboard and got the mstar# prompt.

***Does getting the mstar# prompt mean the the connection has been made to the TV from my PC?***

I typed in the "swuz" command, that went fine. Trouble is, I cannot find a way to send the .epk firmware over to the TV? There is a section at the bottom of the tool to send files, but when it asks for the file, I select the .epk file and click send, nothing happens!
I am using a tool called "Terminal V1.9b", and noticed it was last updated in 2004!!! This may be why, as I am running Win 7 64 bit and it may not work properly in win 7 64 bit.
I have looked on the site where you got the info from and cannot see what tool they used.
What "terminal emulation program with file transfer capability" did they use on that site? Or is there one you could recommend that is up to date?

Many thanks and regards...Parkdean.

Hi... sorry to hear your TV is "dead", people on here for some reason have been doing the 3.63 upgrade in two steps (3.55 then 3.63), not sure if that's related to your problem. Unfortunately the firmware reload has a random chance of failing even at the best of times. Regarding your questions, I haven't used this procedure myself, but I'll attempt some answers:

- When you get the Mstar# prompt it means something is alive inside your TV, and your serial communications are basically working, so that's good. If you had the wrong baud rate, for example, the prompt would be absent or garbled.
- The serial port standard and zmodem protocol are ancient so seeing the year 2004 wouldn't concern me, even on a 64 bit machine.

1. Double-check your comm settings, esp. the 8 data bits & no parity part. If accidentally set to 7 + 1 it can look like it's working for text but file transfers could fail.

2. Try a different terminal program, any other program you can find that can do zmodem and will run on your computer could work, for example HyperTerminal. It doesn't matter how old it is. Do some google searches for zmodem etc.

3. Check your serial cable to ensure that all the serial port signals are connected. Bare-bones serial cables with only 3 wires can work for regular use but lack hardware flow control ability. You need at least 2 more wires for flow control, ideally all pins should be connected. Speaking of flow control, the procedure says turn it off but file transfers normally need it, so at minimum turn on hardware flow control if it's off. You could also try turning on software flow control if there's an option for it.

4. Unplug your TV for a couple minutes before starting, to ensure it's fully reset.

5. Sending .epk file: When you initiate a zmodem transfer on the TV with "swuz" one of two things should happen:
- The local terminal program automatically recognizes that a file transfer is starting and gives you a file prompt
- You respond with a send as you did. Make sure it's a zmodem file send (in HyperTerminal look in the menus and ensure the send protocol type is set to zmodem, as it can do different kinds of transfers e.g. ymodem).
It's been a while so I forget which of the two approaches is standard. Also check the terminal program options to see if you need to enable other aspects of zmodem transfers.

6. If you're able to get the file transfer to complete and the TV is still dead, try it a couple more times with the same .epk file. A flaky flash chip might eventually decide to behave.

Good luck, I would be right there where you are, struggling with serial transfers, but if it fails don't miss your return period

For the future to get in the service menus use the IR "hack": http://lgusb.wikispaces.com/IR+Hack
That goes for anyone reading this thinking of doing the downgrade... use IR remote codes to get in the service menus instead, it eliminates the riskiest part, no firmware reloads needed. Additional remotes which work listed here: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...4#post18034174

G
Georgie3 is offline  
post #290 of 700 Old 04-19-2010, 12:58 AM
Newbie
 
Parkdean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 7
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgie3 View Post

Hi... sorry to hear your TV is "dead", people on here for some reason have been doing the 3.63 upgrade in two steps (3.55 then 3.63), not sure if that's related to your problem. Unfortunately the firmware reload has a random chance of failing even at the best of times. Regarding your questions, I haven't used this procedure myself, but I'll attempt some answers:

- When you get the Mstar# prompt it means something is alive inside your TV, and your serial communications are basically working, so that's good. If you had the wrong baud rate, for example, the prompt would be absent or garbled.
- The serial port standard and zmodem protocol are ancient so seeing the year 2004 wouldn't concern me, even on a 64 bit machine.

1. Double-check your comm settings, esp. the 8 data bits & no parity part. If accidentally set to 7 + 1 it can look like it's working for text but file transfers could fail.

2. Try a different terminal program, any other program you can find that can do zmodem and will run on your computer could work, for example HyperTerminal. It doesn't matter how old it is. Do some google searches for zmodem etc.

3. Check your serial cable to ensure that all the serial port signals are connected. Bare-bones serial cables with only 3 wires can work for regular use but lack hardware flow control ability. You need at least 2 more wires for flow control, ideally all pins should be connected. Speaking of flow control, the procedure says turn it off but file transfers normally need it, so at minimum turn on hardware flow control if it's off. You could also try turning on software flow control if there's an option for it.

4. Unplug your TV for a couple minutes before starting, to ensure it's fully reset.

5. Sending .epk file: When you initiate a zmodem transfer on the TV with "swuz" one of two things should happen:
- The local terminal program automatically recognizes that a file transfer is starting and gives you a file prompt
- You respond with a send as you did. Make sure it's a zmodem file send (in HyperTerminal look in the menus and ensure the send protocol type is set to zmodem, as it can do different kinds of transfers e.g. ymodem).
It's been a while so I forget which of the two approaches is standard. Also check the terminal program options to see if you need to enable other aspects of zmodem transfers.

6. If you're able to get the file transfer to complete and the TV is still dead, try it a couple more times with the same .epk file. A flaky flash chip might eventually decide to behave.

Good luck, I would be right there where you are, struggling with serial transfers, but if it fails don't miss your return period

G

Thanks for the info. I will be trying this later after the house is cleared of my kids, to school, and missus, to work!
I can then concentrate in peace
I have a week off work, and they are picking TV up this week to replace. I would rather sort this myself as it was my fault in the first place, so hope I can get this sorted and the TV working before the courier is due

Again, many thanks for your help. I will post back later if I sorted it.

Parkdean.
Parkdean is offline  
post #291 of 700 Old 04-19-2010, 02:08 AM
Newbie
 
Parkdean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 7
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Georgie3.

Well, what can I say! The TV is now working, the firmware went across fine using "HyperTerminal" and your instructions
TV has auto-tuned the stations and everything is working as it should, many, many thanks for your help.
I believe tester13a is the main man to thank? If you have access to the Russian/Polish[?] site where the original thread was posted, could you please thank him from a very happy person
I would thank him myself, but will probably spend most of the day trying to register on a forum in a language I do not understand

Once again, many thanks for all the help and information to both you and tester13a.

Thanks and regards...Parkdean
Parkdean is offline  
post #292 of 700 Old 04-19-2010, 03:58 AM
Member
 
Maximusro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 24
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgie3 View Post


For the future to get in the service menus use the IR "hack": http://lgusb.wikispaces.com/IR+Hack
That goes for anyone reading this thinking of doing the downgrade... use IR remote codes to get in the service menus instead, it eliminates the riskiest part, no firmware reloads needed. Additional remotes which work listed here: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...4#post18034174

G

Totally agree, the IRhack is much safer AND easier. BUT: i am trying for one month to make it work with novii remote for PDA with WM, but no succes. I entered all the codes I found here and on other forums but it just dont work.
If anyone knows more and wants to contribute to this, let join forces.
Novii remote is much better then the symbian version because it's easier to install past the demo period...
Maximusro is offline  
post #293 of 700 Old 04-19-2010, 08:27 AM
Member
 
sangos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 44
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgie3 View Post

Hi... sorry to hear your TV is "dead", people on here for some reason have been doing the 3.63 upgrade in two steps (3.55 then 3.63), not sure if that's related to your problem. Unfortunately the firmware reload has a random chance of failing even at the best of times. Regarding your questions, I haven't used this procedure myself, but I'll attempt some answers:
........
Good luck, I would be right there where you are, struggling with serial transfers, but if it fails don't miss your return period

For the future to get in the service menus use the IR "hack": http://lgusb.wikispaces.com/IR+Hack
That goes for anyone reading this thinking of doing the downgrade... use IR remote codes to get in the service menus instead, it eliminates the riskiest part, no firmware reloads needed. Additional remotes which work listed here: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...4#post18034174

G


Hey Georgie

Can we also use the serial port to activate the USB player in HD? I read it somewhere else but not on very firm ground. I DO NOT have the Tools options 1,2,3 & 4 showing up in my TV's EZ menu. (Asian; Firmware 3.18). I can get into the service menus alright with a Universal Remote. Btw I also added a UR programming page in the Wiki....thanks!

Edit: If it can be done with Hyper terminal commands, that will be a great help for lot of TVs without the tool options showing up....and a tutorial added to the Wiki will be a killer
sangos is offline  
post #294 of 700 Old 04-19-2010, 02:34 PM
Member
 
Maximusro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 24
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
For everyone that used the Irda Hack the symbian version: please, if you have a WinMobile PDA device, teach (learn) a remote in Novii Remote and upload the resulting .pda file.
I can provide the Novii Remote with instructions to use if you PM me.
Maximusro is offline  
post #295 of 700 Old 04-20-2010, 12:04 AM
Member
 
Georgie3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 82
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parkdean View Post

Georgie3.

Well, what can I say! The TV is now working, the firmware went across fine using "HyperTerminal" and your instructions
TV has auto-tuned the stations and everything is working as it should, many, many thanks for your help.
I believe tester13a is the main man to thank? If you have access to the Russian/Polish[?] site where the original thread was posted, could you please thank him from a very happy person
I would thank him myself, but will probably spend most of the day trying to register on a forum in a language I do not understand

Once again, many thanks for all the help and information to both you and tester13a.

Thanks and regards...Parkdean

Congratulations... good going! I had never heard reports of the serial port procedure being tried (successfully or not), so I'm honestly almost shocked it worked. For those brave enough coming after you to kill their TV then put it right, you've done the web a valuable service.

There have been many, many reports of people bricking their TVs with the firmware hack, so much that another forum site avforums.com shut down all LG TV firmware threads. If there are any special notes you can add that would be great, did it work with HyperTerminal "out of the box", or were any funny option settings needed beyond what the tester13a procedure says?
bye
G
Georgie3 is offline  
post #296 of 700 Old 04-20-2010, 12:31 AM
Member
 
Georgie3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 82
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximusro View Post

Totally agree, the IRhack is much safer AND easier. BUT: i am trying for one month to make it work with novii remote for PDA with WM, but no succes. I entered all the codes I found here and on other forums but it just dont work.
If anyone knows more and wants to contribute to this, let join forces.
Novii remote is much better then the symbian version because it's easier to install past the demo period...

I think a more sure-fire approach is to buy one of the cheap universal remotes reported to work, as detailed in this list by another user: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...4#post18034174

Some such as the RCA remotes are really very cheap, but finding them in a store or internet mail order to some countries may be tricky.

One issue is that certain remotes which use the "guide" button and not an arbitrary code can only enter one of the service menus (EZ ADJUST), this is where the USB and DivX settings normally are. Another useful menu IN START is not available with these remotes, but the hex code just differs from EZ ADJUST by a few bits so remotes where code entry is possible can access it. See this post for Pronto codes for all service menus: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...3#post18081063

By the way I just found this warning about IN STOP in another complete list of LG remote codes (http://www.lg-hack.info/cgi-bin/sn_f...=1&sc=20&x=0):
INSTOP - don't send this command unless you want reset tv to factory settings. UTT is reset too.
So I'd forget about using this one except to reset the TV. EZ ADJUST and IN START are ok.
Georgie3 is offline  
post #297 of 700 Old 04-20-2010, 12:38 AM
Member
 
Georgie3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 82
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by sangos View Post

Hey Georgie

Can we also use the serial port to activate the USB player in HD? I read it somewhere else but not on very firm ground. I DO NOT have the Tools options 1,2,3 & 4 showing up in my TV's EZ menu. (Asian; Firmware 3.18). I can get into the service menus alright with a Universal Remote. Btw I also added a UR programming page in the Wiki....thanks!

Edit: If it can be done with Hyper terminal commands, that will be a great help for lot of TVs without the tool options showing up....and a tutorial added to the Wiki will be a killer

Ok, your question prompted me to find where the hard-core people are doing this: http://www.lg-hack.info/
There are people modding the LG TV operating system in there and uploading via serial on a regular basis. And yes there's a thread on "how to activate USB player via serial". I'm a software developer myself but not up to speed on the embedded Linux stuff these guys are doing.

Also there's enough info on that site to seriously get you into trouble... with great power comes great responsibility
Georgie3 is offline  
post #298 of 700 Old 04-20-2010, 02:17 AM
Newbie
 
Parkdean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 7
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgie3 View Post

Congratulations... good going! I had never heard reports of the serial port procedure being tried (successfully or not), so I'm honestly almost shocked it worked. For those brave enough coming after you to kill their TV then put it right, you've done the web a valuable service.

There have been many, many reports of people bricking their TVs with the firmware hack, so much that another forum site avforums.com shut down all LG TV firmware threads. If there are any special notes you can add that would be great, did it work with HyperTerminal "out of the box", or were any funny option settings needed beyond what the tester13a procedure says?
bye
G

I'll try and make it as easy as possible to understand. Please bear in mind these settings are for the "HyperTerminal" software I used.

1...Install "HyperTerminal", get the private edition, 30 day free trial.

2...Start HyperTerminal and click file ~ new connection. Name the new connection anything you want and click OK.

3...In the "connect to" box that pops up, enter your country/region and area code and what com port you are using, usually com port 1.
Leave everything else as is.
The click on the "configure button" and another box will pop up, "com 1 properties", with the settings for your new connection.
Set as follows:-
Bits per second = 115200
Data bits = 8
Parity = 0
Stop bits = 1
Flow control = Hardware

Click on apply, then ok to close the com 1 properties box, then click ok again to close the "connect to" box. Your settings are now saved and you should be back to the main screen which is a big blank white box, and you are ready to go!

Now, you have to fire up your TV. Switch on TV and hit the escape button on your keyboard at the same time. If all goes to plan you should see the mstar# prompt. This means the TV is alive and is connected to your PC.

Now type in the swuz command, and set of numbers and letters will show, don't worry about these, they are for info only. You are now ready to send the epk firmware file to your TV.

Now hit the transfer button at the top, and select "send file" and a small box will pop up. Browse to your firmware file and click so it shows in the text box, but do not hit the send button yet.

In the protocol pull-down menu, select "Z modem with crash recovery".

Now you can hit the send button and the file should start to transfer to the TV.

It took me 35 minutes to transfer the file over, so its not quick! So go make a cup of tea/have a bath/go out/whatever. I would advise doing nothing with your PC as the file is being transferred, it may botch the transfer, I dunno for sure, but just to be safe, leave the PC alone.

That is the way I brought my bricked TV back from the dead

P.S. As Georgie 3 pointed out, you need a proper null modem cable so all serial ports are connected, not a cheapo one!

I used a Blekin 9 pin serial cable from Maplins UK, and it cost £10.99, which is quite expensive considering you can get them for £3/4 elsewhere, but I wanted the best cable I could find to do a proper job.

Parkdean
Parkdean is offline  
post #299 of 700 Old 04-20-2010, 02:32 PM
Member
 
Maximusro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 24
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgie3 View Post

I think a more sure-fire approach is to buy one of the cheap universal remotes reported to work, as detailed in this list by another user: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...4#post18034174

Some such as the RCA remotes are really very cheap, but finding them in a store or internet mail order to some countries may be tricky.

One issue is that certain remotes which use the "guide" button and not an arbitrary code can only enter one of the service menus (EZ ADJUST), this is where the USB and DivX settings normally are. Another useful menu IN START is not available with these remotes, but the hex code just differs from EZ ADJUST by a few bits so remotes where code entry is possible can access it. See this post for Pronto codes for all service menus: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...3#post18081063

The universal remotes are region based, as you said, not easy to find one from the list in europe or nothern countries and so on.
I already posted there the same request regarding novii remote on http://www.lg-hack.info.

The serial method is problematic, no more serial port on most modern computers. Parkdean was lucky to have one. The same about serial cables. There are some adapters to serial that are sold but still, not a handy solution.
Maximusro is offline  
post #300 of 700 Old 04-20-2010, 02:52 PM
Member
 
sangos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 44
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Use a USB to RS232 null modem cable plus a gender changer - the TV input is male....total costs under $15.
sangos is offline  
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Lg 47lh90 , Lg 55lh40 55 Inch Lcd Hdtv , Lg 42 Lh40 42 Inch Lcd Hdtv , Lg 47lh40 47 Inch 1080p 120 Hz Lcd Hdtv Gloss Black , Lg 42lh50 42 Inch 1080p 120 Hz Broadband Lcd Hdtv Gloss Black , Lg 32lh30 32 Inch 1080p Lcd Hdtv Gloss Black , Lg 32lh20 32 Inch 720p Lcd Hdtv Gloss Black
Gear in this thread



Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off