post #541 of 2400 Old 02-23-2010, 12:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by aznsk1lz View Post

I purchased the kdl-46ex400 and I was playing around with it today and wasn't that impressed by the picture quality. At the moment, I'm running just a standard cable box through cox, no HD upgrade yet. For DVD's, I'm using my xbox through HDMI cable. I was watching a few dvd's to try and see what it looked like and it appeared to be grainy. This is my first 1080p tv, upgraded from a samsung 32" 720p and sadly would have to say that the picture quality on the 32" was much better... Has anyone else experienced this same grainy picture quality, or is it just me?

Don't use Vivid mode, turn down the sharpness control, keep in mind that some movies are supposed to look grainy.

Pretty soon somebody will post settings for the set which may help you, but the most important thing is to get an HD source of some kind.

Steve S.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #542 of 2400 Old 02-23-2010, 12:41 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by UCFKevin View Post

I went to the Sony Store in Manhattan the other day. They had the LX900 and the NX800 52" on display.

The first thing I saw on the LX was a 3D display of a crowd at a sporting event. I put the glasses on and was immediately soured. Worried! It looked AWFUL. The lenses were on, I made sure, and I changed positions to make further sure, and it remained horrible looking. That stunk. So I walked to the NX800 which was playing Wolverine. It looked rather beautiful, there is definitely a bit of a glare problem on the glass but that was a bright showroom, so I'm sure in a living room, realistically, it wouldn't be too bad. Great PQ, too.

Then I went back to the LX, as I noticed they had a different stream playing. It was the polar bear swimming in the aquarium. People were saying, "Wow..." that were watching it with the glasses. I joined them. And I joined them in saying, "Wow..." after that. It looked amazing. Sharpness wasn't all there, but the depth for DAMN sure was. It looked like a window to the actual aquarium. I was very impressed. Then they showed PS3 game stuff in 3D. Little Big Planet. Wipeout. Yeah, I was even further impressed after that.

The thing that really sold me, though?

Wheel of Fortune.

Seeing Pat and Vanna in legitimate 3D, with layers of depth all around, without looking goofy or overdone or ANYTHING, just kind of a new way to view it rather than a gimmicky way to view it, blew my mind. I made the decision there that I'm definitely getting one of these damn things in the summer.

But probably the HX900, or 800, depending on the 900's price. I wish they had those on display, but nay...perhaps soon.

Further more, there was a 60" set up playing Star Trek, I'm not sure which model it was, one of the '09 XBR's I think, but it looked...weird. I'm not sure what feature on a TV would lead to this, perhaps the 240hz or something, but it looked WAY too fluid. The way everything moved. It didn't look like a film to me, it looked like it was live television in a way, REALLY amazing looking live television, and I didn't like it. But that could just be because it was the first time I've really seen whatever the hell it was on display.

So from what you observed if one is not really into getting a 3D TV will the NX800 suffice?
post #543 of 2400 Old 02-23-2010, 01:22 PM

Quote:

Further more, there was a 60" set up playing Star Trek, I'm not sure which model it was, one of the '09 XBR's I think, but it looked...weird. I'm not sure what feature on a TV would lead to this, perhaps the 240hz or something, but it looked WAY too fluid. The way everything moved. It didn't look like a film to me, it looked like it was live television in a way, REALLY amazing looking live television, and I didn't like it. But that could just be because it was the first time I've really seen whatever the hell it was on display.

This raises a question I've been curious about: If the Motionflow is turned off to avoid this effect - and some recommend doing so except for fast sports and gaming - what does the TV revert to? Thanks in advance.

By the way, thanks also for sharing your observations of the 3D and NX800 at the SonyStyle store. It gives me some encouragement for the wait.
post #544 of 2400 Old 02-23-2010, 02:35 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
Quote:

I don't think there ever was a 60" xbr. I think the W was the only 60".
post #545 of 2400 Old 02-23-2010, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr335tr View Post

This raises a question I've been curious about: If the Motionflow is turned off to avoid this effect - and some recommend doing so except for fast sports and gaming - what does the TV revert to? Thanks in advance.

By the way, thanks also for sharing your observations of the 3D and NX800 at the SonyStyle store. It gives me some encouragement for the wait.

A 120hz or 240hz display will always perform in those frame rates, and can not be turned off. The good thing is, that feature is not the one that gives the 'soap opera' effect as that's partly to blame with Motionflow (motion enhancers). Motionflow and 120hz/240hz are two different things.
120hz/240hz will always be on and won't give you a fake look.
Motion enhancers interpolate between frames that combine with the 120hz/240hz to create a 'video tape'-like movement, and can be turned off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrike645 View Post

I don't think there ever was a 60" xbr. I think the W was the only 60".

Must be the 65" W5100 2009 model. They didn't have any 60" last year.
post #546 of 2400 Old 02-23-2010, 03:49 PM
Advanced Member

Excellent, thanks for that tidbit about MotionFlow, Secret.

And you're right, it WAS the 65", 60" didn't seem like it'd be big enough to be what I saw on display.

To be frank, I asked the Sony rep which models were on display for the new Bravias and he didn't know. He said he THINKS the 3D one was a prototype but it could be the one they end up using. He was clueless. I didn't ask further.

The glare on the LX, I didn't even notice it, honestly. With or without the glasses on. Definitely noticed it a bit during SOME scenes on the NX, but not the LX at all.

If 3D wasn't in the cards for me (it's mostly the PS3 aspect that intrigues me) then yeah, the NX would be plenty beautiful for me.

I just can't wait for the HX's to go on display. Whenever that happens, I'll do another report. I actually wanna go back again just to see it for a second time, get a longer observation.

If I wasn't into home theater, I'd have a whole lotta money.
post #547 of 2400 Old 02-23-2010, 03:55 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:

Excellent, thanks for that tidbit about MotionFlow, Secret.

And you're right, it WAS the 65", 60" didn't seem like it'd be big enough to be what I saw on display.

To be frank, I asked the Sony rep which models were on display for the new Bravias and he didn't know. He said he THINKS the 3D one was a prototype but it could be the one they end up using. He was clueless. I didn't ask further.

The glare on the LX, I didn't even notice it, honestly. With or without the glasses on. Definitely noticed it a bit during SOME scenes on the NX, but not the LX at all.

If 3D wasn't in the cards for me (it's mostly the PS3 aspect that intrigues me) then yeah, the NX would be plenty beautiful for me.

I just can't wait for the HX's to go on display. Whenever that happens, I'll do another report. I actually wanna go back again just to see it for a second time, get a longer observation.

That's good to know. The OptiContrast panel on the LX series is suppose to reduce reflections and refraction from external light.
post #548 of 2400 Old 02-24-2010, 05:40 AM
AVS Special Member

I saw the same setup at the Sony store at Tysons Corner, VA a couple of weeks ago and will go back probably this weekend to re-look.

I can vouch for everyone's observations on the new sets here. In terms of reflections, it's a tough call because the lighting in the store was not ideal. The 3D demo was set back a bit away from the lighting.....the other set....maybe HX800....was set up so that the ligting interfered and reflections could be seen in dark scenes.

More than likely at home this can be controlled better.

The interesting thing for me is that since I am still using a CRT.....Sony KV-34XBR800.....reflections are much better on any of the LCD's I see out there in comparison.
post #549 of 2400 Old 02-24-2010, 11:12 AM
Advanced Member

I also liked the new tilt method of standing the TV on that new...thing. But not enough to buy one, I'm sure that'll be another few hundred bucks. If it was included, cool! Otherwise, I can live without it. (Yep, $279.99, meh...)

I suppose the non3DTV I saw could've been an HX. There was no sign or display and the dude didn't know, but I figured it was an NX for some reason. Can't recall why but that was my instinct.

Good LORD, I'm so excited for these TV's to come out, I'm jumping up from a Sony 40v2500 to a 52" HX900 or 800. I feel I can justify blowing around three grand for a TV IF, and only if, the quality will make me stay home and fully utilize those three large I blew and enjoy the fruits of my labor. I have faith in Sony.

If I wasn't into home theater, I'd have a whole lotta money.
post #550 of 2400 Old 02-24-2010, 11:38 AM

Hi bk.secret23, i think you are wrong. Motionflox 120 / 240 adds calculated pictures between the 60Hz pictures. You can switch off the MF. Most in game mode an in 24p mode the MF is switched off in standard configuration. Some manufactor show the whole picture double to reduce negative optical effects and call this 120 Hz. There are different methods to make the picture more liquid (i don´t find the right word) i hope you understand.
And if you switch off these modi the TV is in 24p oder 60Hz mode.
post #551 of 2400 Old 02-24-2010, 12:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I also liked the new tilt method of standing the TV on that new...thing. But not enough to buy one, I'm sure that'll be another few hundred bucks. If it was included, cool! Otherwise, I can live without it. (Yep, $279.99, meh...)

I suppose the non3DTV I saw could've been an HX. There was no sign or display and the dude didn't know, but I figured it was an NX for some reason. Can't recall why but that was my instinct.

Good LORD, I'm so excited for these TV's to come out, I'm jumping up from a Sony 40v2500 to a 52" HX900 or 800. I feel I can justify blowing around three grand for a TV IF, and only if, the quality will make me stay home and fully utilize those three large I blew and enjoy the fruits of my labor. I have faith in Sony.

I'm excited about these also......will be going from a 34" XBR800.......which is a very nice TV......but too small now.....and heavy!

However, the price is probably going to dictate which 52" model I go for. Not sold on 3D.

I'll see if I can get any more info at the store. Maybe I can peek around the back to see the model number.....HX or NX 800..........
post #552 of 2400 Old 02-24-2010, 01:16 PM

is the nx800 gonna be that much better picture then the xbr4, does the nx800 do 3d? might as well buy a 3d one if im gonna upgrade
post #553 of 2400 Old 02-24-2010, 02:59 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by demarco5 View Post

is the nx800 gonna be that much better picture then the xbr4, does the nx800 do 3d? might as well buy a 3d one if im gonna upgrade

No the NX800 is not a 3D set. Only the LX series will have integrated 3D and the HX800 and HX900 are 3D ready meaning they require optional hardware.
post #554 of 2400 Old 02-24-2010, 03:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

There are several issues that I see with buying a 3D set this year:

1) The technology is brand new. It will only get better (and cheaper over time)

2) Cost. If the HX800 is say $200 more than the NX800.....we still don't know the price....then why not. But I'm not paying $1,000 more for 3D.....which may or may not make it.

3) Content will be slow in coming.

So.....we really need to know what they are going to charge for the 3D sets in order to make a real determination as to whether it's worth it this year.
post #555 of 2400 Old 02-24-2010, 03:40 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cawgijoe View Post

There are several issues that I see with buying a 3D set this year:

1) The technology is brand new. It will only get better (and cheaper over time)

2) Cost. If the HX800 is say $200 more than the NX800.....we still don't know the price....then why not. But I'm not paying $1,000 more for 3D.....which may or may not make it.

3) Content will be slow in coming.

So.....we really need to know what they are going to charge for the 3D sets in order to make a real determination as to whether it's worth it this year.

Good points.
post #556 of 2400 Old 02-24-2010, 04:04 PM

VERY good points, i wont be upgrading from the xbr4 this year then. Maybe next year. Unless this NX really blows it away pic quality wise
post #557 of 2400 Old 02-24-2010, 04:10 PM

The HX800 will be more expensive not only because of 3D, it also has Local Dimming (though it's not led backlight)

Sony is dead.
post #558 of 2400 Old 02-24-2010, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holy bear View Post

The HX800 will be more expensive not only because of 3D, it also has Local Dimming (though it's not led backlight)

Maybe not. According to HDGuru.com, Sony COO/President Stan Glasgow is quoted as saying " We're selling a line of 3D capable TV's, at basically no increase in price", and states that the 40" HX800 will be priced at $1599.00. That is actually $100.00 less than the 40" NX700 current price.

It would seem that even though the HX800 is 3D capable and has Dynamic LED edge lit, it will be priced less because it is not a Monolithic design.
post #559 of 2400 Old 02-24-2010, 04:48 PM

I've just preordered my NX800. I'll let you know when I get it how well it look

Now I have to hurry and finish painting my HT room, install the flooring and call the cable co to string new wires and install my HD PVR.

Here's how the place look like presently:

post #560 of 2400 Old 02-24-2010, 04:58 PM

[quote=Karmyna;18200051]I've just preordered my NX800. It cost me $5230Cdn with a 3 years extended waranty from sonystyle. I'll let you know when I get it how well it look

Now I have to hurry and finish painting my HT room, install the flooring and call the cable co to string new wires and install my HD PVR.

What size? I thought that $5000 with taxes, stand, and 4 year extended was alot for a 60 sxrd set 3 years ago.
post #561 of 2400 Old 02-24-2010, 05:08 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 465 Post(s)
Liked: 638
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karmyna View Post

I've just preordered my NX800. It cost me $5230Cdn with a 3 years extended waranty from sonystyle. I'll let you know when I get it how well it look

Maybe look into buying from a US dealer and save a ton of cash.....
post #562 of 2400 Old 02-24-2010, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post

Do you guys ship to Canada?
post #563 of 2400 Old 02-24-2010, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post

And get no waranty on it. Plus the import fees would kill the savings
post #564 of 2400 Old 02-24-2010, 06:12 PM

[quote=ssowinski;18200101]
Quote:

I've just preordered my NX800. It cost me $5230Cdn with a 3 years extended waranty from sonystyle. I'll let you know when I get it how well it look

What size? I thought that $5000 with taxes, stand, and 4 year extended was alot for a 60 sxrd set 3 years ago.

Not for canada.... We don't get all the models that you get and those over 55 inches are more costly here.

For exemple the NX800 is the top model on sonystore.ca

There isn't any mention of the HX series beside the HX701.
post #565 of 2400 Old 02-24-2010, 09:09 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 465 Post(s)
Liked: 638
Quote:

Not if they are made in mexico like last years sony's, only pay Canadian standard taxes. Warranty still applies you just have to bring the set into the US for service. Odds of needing service is less than 10% over the sets lifetime. One could also add a extended warranty to there unit and the unit now has in home service in any counrty
post #566 of 2400 Old 02-24-2010, 09:22 PM

Anyone in Calgary wanting the NX800 check out Memory Express they have a couple in stock.
post #567 of 2400 Old 02-24-2010, 10:04 PM

Quote:

I don't know how much Cleveland Plasma would charge to ship but as an example based on the exchange rate on a 60EX700:

$3039 CDN from CP after 13% taxes in Ontario
$3727 CDN from Sonystyle after 13% taxes in Ontario

Lots of Canucks buy their sets from the US.....the warranty gamble is worth it in many cases. A Panny P58V10 is a good example:

$3099 after 13% taxes and exchange from CP
$4179 after taxes if you pay the full $3699 CDN MSRP in Canada.
post #568 of 2400 Old 02-25-2010, 05:10 AM

same here i live in a townhouse and the 52xbr4 already looks huge.........but maybe a 55 would look the same since the speakers and bezel on the xbr are huge
post #569 of 2400 Old 02-25-2010, 05:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

same here i live in a townhouse and the 52xbr4 already looks huge.........but maybe a 55 would look the same since the speakers and bezel on the xbr are huge

The 55" may not even be as wide as the xbr4.
post #570 of 2400 Old 02-25-2010, 06:49 AM

really thats good then
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page