Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecgz88 View Post

according Cnet review, EX700 PQ is on par with last year Samsung B7000,

according Chad review, C7000 PQ is better than Kuro

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...4#post18232384

Samsung will get ready with 3DTV C7000 in March, Sony has to wait till Summer.

Sony is really fall behind now, what's wrong?

Uh.. that C7000 review wasn't that flattering. Doesn't seem all that different from current EX/NX series Sony's.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #632 of 2400 Old 03-02-2010, 12:31 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:

according Cnet review, EX700 PQ is on par with last year Samsung B7000,

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...4#post18232384

Samsung will get ready with 3DTV C7000 in March, Sony has to wait till Summer.

Sony is really fall behind now, what's wrong?

Since the Sony HX900 and LX900 sets have always been planned for summer release, as well the Samsung C9000 I don't see them falling behind.
post #633 of 2400 Old 03-02-2010, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guinea View Post

The 32" XBR9 is 8-bit. Only the 40" and up are 10-bit I believe.

Yes, I already know that, which is why I said, "...so I guess it's not the same as comaring the 32XBR9 and 32EX500", meaning those two are 8 bit vs 10.
Quote:
Originally Posted by frito View Post

The uniformity problems you have seen with Samsung and Sony TV's of the past few years is not due to the back lighting of the display, it is due to the VA panel type used in the display and when the sheet has its thickness vary by the slightest amount it results in a lighter level of black because the LC's cannot close fully, the frame of the TV often can be assembled too tightly resulting in flashlights in the corners of the TV with a black image.

Actually that's not the type of unevenness I spotted on the Samsung 32 inch. I could clearly see scallops of light where the LEDs were placed when the screen went to all black. The XBR9 I compared it to at the time didn't have quite as deep blacks, but deeper than any non LED lit TV, just as mentioned in what I've read. It's lighting was also noticeably more uniform.
Quote:
Originally Posted by frito View Post

I'm not sure what Sony model you have that has low input lag but all of the 2008/2009 Sony's have had some of the worst input lag i've seen of any TV when in game mode and its due to the use of the S-PVA and VA panel type in general because in order for them to function satisfactory to the end user when it comes to motion blur they must use Response Time Compensation to lower their pixel response time and this is the primary cause for excessive input lag on LCD displays of any sort. game mode's always disable video processing delays but rarely do they allow game mode to reduce or remove RTC because it will dramatically hurt pixel response time of VA panels and cause easily visible smearing of images on the screen. Toshiba models that use Samsung VA panels like the xv645u series has a game mode that does reduce or remove some of the aggressiveness of the RTC on the panel and having briefly owned a 40xv645u and can tell you it had better input lag than current sony and samsung 09 models but it still did not match Panasonic/LG IPS TV's and it had terrible smearing problems with dark images and the same thing has been reported on some Samsung B650 models even though they still had bad input lag.

Actually I currently have an old Samsung CRT HDTV. I have heard Sonys of the past have had high input lag, but many say the recent models are among the lowest. I referred to your thread on input lag, but you didn't test any XBR9s that I can see. So at this point I don't know what to believe. I'm reluctant to go by tests done on XBR6s where XBR9s and EX500s/700s are concerned. If anyone in that thread were testing Sony XBR9s up through current models, it would be easier to ascertain what amount of lag they have.

I HAVE heard though that Panasonics and Toshibas have very low input lag. Both seem to lack one or more of the criteria I'm looking for though. Besides having low lag and good colors, I'd like it to have 120Hz motion processing, in a 32" size btw. There seems to be some inconsistencies with what you say in quotes above vs what you say in your input lag thread though. For instance you say here the Samsung 650 model has high input lag, yet on that thread you say it's one of the lowest. I know with even an IPS type display were I to go with a monitor vs TV they can go as low as one frame of lag. Panasonic is the only one matching that in a TV, but I'd have to go 37" to get their 120Hz motion processing.

Between the two 32" 1080Ps from Panasonic and Toshiba though, which do you think would have the least ghosting on fast action content like sports and action movies? I'm impressed with Panasonic's latest gen motion processing, but that doesn't mean their sets without it are going to perform any better than other brands speed wise. I've yet to see Toshiba's models. They have what's called Cinespeed in their non 120Hz 32", but from what I've read it only means response time is 8ms or less, which isn't saying much. I've put Sony at the top of the list based on color accuracy, but if the lag is high as you say even on the latest models, I'll reconsider. I've really seen no concrete evidence of that yet though and many say they are much lower on lag than they used to be. Panasonic has the 2nd best color to Sony IMO, so Toshiba would be a 3rd resort, and Samsung, unless it's one of their faster models is out of the question.
post #634 of 2400 Old 03-02-2010, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hi Def Fan View Post

Yes, I already know that, which is why I said, "...so I guess it's not the same as comaring the 32XBR9 and 32EX500", meaning those two are 8 bit vs 10.

The 32EX500 is 8-bit too. That's why what you said didn't make any sense.
post #635 of 2400 Old 03-02-2010, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeSony View Post

Since the Sony HX900 and LX900 sets have always been planned for summer release, as well the Samsung C9000 I don't see them falling behind.

No matter what Sony's plan is , the truth is that you can get a Samsung 3D TV NOW and you need to wait until SUMMER to get a Sony 3D TV.

And don't forget the C7000 is even cheaper (but much better) than the NX800.

Sony is dead.
post #636 of 2400 Old 03-02-2010, 01:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked: 504
Quote:

No, this is what I said:

Compared to a Pioneer 9G Elite Kuro, which I feel is the best flat panel display I have seen, the image was smoother, with very slightly richer colors, but poorer contrast and less pop in dark scenes.

Even the best has a few areas where it will be outperformed by another; such is the case here. The Kuro is a bit grainy, and the colors are almost perfect (I believe the Kuro's ABL causes the colors to loose just a bit of richness).

ISF/THX calibrator with Jeti 1211 reference spectro
Latest reviews:LG 65UB9800Samsung UN65HU8550UN65HU9000, UN85HU8550, LG 55EC9300, LG 55EA8800 (including 3D)

Why I don't publish settings, Review index and rankings, Florida tour Dec '14, Texas tour Jan '15
post #637 of 2400 Old 03-02-2010, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holy bear View Post

No matter what Sony's plan is , the truth is that you can get a Samsung 3D TV NOW and you need to wait until SUMMER to get a Sony 3D TV.

What's the point in getting a 3D TV NOW when there are no content for it yet? And if anyone is going to propagate content, it's going to be from Sony (and their PS3).
post #638 of 2400 Old 03-02-2010, 02:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked: 298
Quote:

And getting the 3d Samsung now versus Sony in the summer you will be watching what 3d content in that time frame? I'm all for being an early adopter but anybody buying 3D this year, whether now or in the summer, is going to have slim pickins for 3d stuff to actually watch.
post #639 of 2400 Old 03-02-2010, 02:06 PM

The C7000 could convert 2D content into 3D.

Sony is dead.
post #640 of 2400 Old 03-02-2010, 02:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The C7000 could convert 2D content into 3D.

That is pseudo/fake 3d (i.e. the source material is not 3D) and by early accounts is not very impressive when you convert 2d into 3d.
post #641 of 2400 Old 03-02-2010, 02:30 PM

Quote:

The 32EX500 is 8-bit too. That's why what you said didn't make any sense.

Actually it made perfect sense, you just didn't take note of what I was saying. I first asked if you compared your 40EX500 to last yr's 40XBR9. Then I said it wouldn't be the same as comparing the 32XBR9 to the 32EX500, because both those are 8 bit vs one being 10 bit and the other 8 bit as with the 40XBR9 and 40EX500.

Now can we drop this and move on please? No one else seems to have missed that easy to grasp detail.
post #642 of 2400 Old 03-02-2010, 02:59 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frohlich View Post

That is pseudo/fake 3d (i.e. the source material is not 3D) and by early accounts is not very impressive when you convert 2d into 3d.

so what?sony 3d's will as well
post #643 of 2400 Old 03-02-2010, 03:24 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I'd rather wait for the top of the line sets to debut. If you need to purchase sooner, than yes your options are limited. It's not any diffferent than in prior years with the staggered release of sets.
post #644 of 2400 Old 03-02-2010, 04:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHRISGEOFROMGREE View Post

so what?sony 3d's will as well

You weren't following the discussion. He stated the Samsung would be out first and I was poiting out (so did Guinea) that it doesn't really matter which will be out first as there is nothing to watch in 3d (i.e. being an early adopter in this case doesn't buy you much in the way of stuff to actually watch in 3d). Then he said it converts 2d to 3d and I was observing that this conversion has early reports of not looking good (no matter which tv is in question).
post #645 of 2400 Old 03-02-2010, 04:58 PM

Liked: 11
The point is Sony fall behind.......... according HDGURU review, they feel SONY 3DTV is not ready yet....... but Samsung can launch C7000 in March, I thnk Samsung may launch 3D Glass in Summer when content is availble.

and don't forget SONY have whole last year to prepare for EDGE LED set, but they can't make a 3cm thick unit even now.

Quote:

What's the point in getting a 3D TV NOW when there are no content for it yet? And if anyone is going to propagate content, it's going to be from Sony (and their PS3).

post #646 of 2400 Old 03-02-2010, 05:23 PM

Yep. That's what I'm trying to say. I'm a fan of Sony and I'm really disappointed about this.

I think you missed the ZX1 and ZX5 ?

Sony is dead.
post #647 of 2400 Old 03-02-2010, 06:14 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

The point is Sony fall behind.......... according HDGURU review, they feel SONY 3DTV is not ready yet....... but Samsung can launch C7000 in March, I thnk Samsung may launch 3D Glass in Summer when content is availble.

and don't forget SONY have whole last year to prepare for EDGE LED set, but they can't make a 3cm thick unit even now.:D

Thickness is fine if you're after form factor, what does it do in terms of picture quality?
post #648 of 2400 Old 03-02-2010, 06:15 PM

Quote:

Just bought a 46" EX500 series to replace my 32" Sony Bravia S3000 (720p) from 2007... really disappointed with the picture quality of the new EX series as I believe they are worse than my 3 year old panel. The flesh tones are entirely off, and no matter how much tweaking I do (even the white balance), I can't get it to look like my S3000. The blacks do look blacker than the S3000, but the screen is overall less bright and vivid than the S3000. I have my S3000 on backlight of 4, while on the EX500 I need at least 8 to get similar brightness, but that leads to more washed out colors. Lost is the "oily" feel I got from my S3000, which is bizarre since my S3000's screen is more matte than the EX500.

But most frustrating is the poor flesh tone reproduction on the EX500. Argh!

I for one think whatever you are doing is not sufficient. My PQ is pretty damn good. Blacks and colors are very good. This is a better TV than any of the 09 models yet much cheaper (finally SONY!!!).

Try 7 back light, 90 picture, 55 brightness, 45 color. Low black, low white, medium color and sharpness at MIN. You keep gamma at zero and lower red gain/bias and also put on Warm 1. All in Custom mode. If you still don't like the quality than I am not sure what to tell you.
post #649 of 2400 Old 03-02-2010, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrobitaille23 View Post

I for one think whatever you are doing is not sufficient. My PQ is pretty damn good. Blacks and colors are very good. This is a better TV than any of the 09 models yet much cheaper (finally SONY!!!).

Try 7 back light, 90 picture, 55 brightness, 45 color. Low black, low white, medium color and sharpness at MIN. You keep gamma at zero and lower red gain/bias and also put on Warm 1. All in Custom mode. If you still don't like the quality than I am not sure what to tell you.

Actually I'm going to retract those comments as I've calibrated mine to look much better. Still, I'm thinking of exchanging it for the NX700 as I like that look better. You are also right that the price is very competitive.
post #650 of 2400 Old 03-02-2010, 09:06 PM

Quote:

and don't forget SONY have whole last year to prepare for EDGE LED set, but they can't make a 3cm thick unit even now.

Good for Sony. More space means more heat dissipation and would result in less problems involving the screen.
post #651 of 2400 Old 03-02-2010, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bk.secret23 View Post

Good for Sony. More space means more heat dissipation and would result in less problems involving the screen.

Yeah, I don't understand the obsession with thinness. If you mount it on the wall, you can't notice an inch difference in thickness (especially since the wall mounts generally take up depth). If you don't mount it, then it's even more pointless since most TV stands are 20" deep and LCDs already look ridiculous on them. I guess people will notice the thinness if you put your TV in the center of the room, like a bonfire.

However, if you can get an LCD to weigh under 5 lbs and still be 3mm thick, then that would be something else. I'd buy that if it were under $2k. Then I can just nail my TV into the wall like a picture frame instead of mounting the damn thing. I guess we'll have to wait for OLEDs for that to happen.
post #652 of 2400 Old 03-02-2010, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by naus View Post

Yeah, I don't understand the obsession with thinness. If you mount it on the wall, you can't notice an inch difference in thickness (especially since the wall mounts generally take up depth). If you don't mount it, then it's even more pointless since most TV stands are 20" deep and LCDs already look ridiculous on them. I guess people will notice the thinness if you put your TV in the center of the room, like a bonfire.

However, if you can get an LCD to weigh under 5 lbs and still be 3mm thick, then that would be something else. I'd buy that if it were under $2k. Then I can just nail my TV into the wall like a picture frame instead of mounting the damn thing. I guess we'll have to wait for OLEDs for that to happen.

for me the thin form factor is related to the weight of the display as I need to mount on a 30 year old brick and mortar fireplace and just not comfortable putting 100 + pounds up there. I am impressed by Sony's 60" EX 700 coming in at 60 LBS (give or take). Now if they can make a 3D, fully networked, wireless display that is 65" and weighs 50 lbs I am so in...but I'm guessing since Sony pulled back on recent OLED release in Japan, that leaves LG standing alone in OLED development, so we might not be there (the specs I describe above) for some time...
post #653 of 2400 Old 03-03-2010, 06:29 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frohlich View Post

You weren't following the discussion. He stated the Samsung would be out first and I was poiting out (so did Guinea) that it doesn't really matter which will be out first as there is nothing to watch in 3d (i.e. being an early adopter in this case doesn't buy you much in the way of stuff to actually watch in 3d). Then he said it converts 2d to 3d and I was observing that this conversion has early reports of not looking good (no matter which tv is in question).

yeah,It was late night when I wrote it,so I now have much time to read the whole thing.

So,

who would like to buy a rushed out 3d tv by samsung,since the only 3d blu ray available would be the aliens vs monsters?the sony launch at end of may/early june is very timed with the first broadcast of the mundial,the 3d ps3 fw and a few other movies possibly.

Plus,the fact that its not at all rushed out,but in fact carefully tested and prepared...
post #654 of 2400 Old 03-03-2010, 08:16 AM

Hey guys,

Anyone have any ideas about the HX700? Sony kept saying the HX line is supposed to be all about performance and PQ, but little is mentioned about the HX700. It seems to have most of the NX lines features except is CCFL... I know it is only available in Canada and Europe, but was wondering if anyone has any comments on whether the CCFL may actually be a better light source than the Edge lit LED.

This new line up is killing me with confusion... I gotta figure something out as my Panasonic G15 goes back tonight, and I need to replace it with something
post #655 of 2400 Old 03-03-2010, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sitsat View Post

for me the thin form factor is related to the weight of the display as I need to mount on a 30 year old brick and mortar fireplace and just not comfortable putting 100 + pounds up there. I am impressed by Sony's 60" EX 700 coming in at 60 LBS (give or take). Now if they can make a 3D, fully networked, wireless display that is 65" and weighs 50 lbs I am so in...but I'm guessing since Sony pulled back on recent OLED release in Japan, that leaves LG standing alone in OLED development, so we might not be there (the specs I describe above) for some time...

The thing is a lot of the thin Samsungs and newer Sony LEDs have a glass cover, so they are actually heavier than the fat CCFLs.

But it would be pretty sweet someday to have a TV that's cardboard thick and you can just nail it on the wall like a picture frame. That would be my grail. I hate stud finders (my walls are old and the studs are weirdly placed).
post #656 of 2400 Old 03-03-2010, 09:16 AM

Quote:

Sony obviously doesn't care about thickness. They made the ZX1M in December of '08, roughly 4 months before the release of any Samsung "LED TV". ZX1M was as thick as a dvd case.
post #657 of 2400 Old 03-03-2010, 01:20 PM

Does anyone know where the speakers are located on the Monolithic Design models? My guess is that they are hidden underneath, but I have not had a chance to check it out in person, and the Sony website doesn't say. My concern is that the sound quality would take a hit when the TV is placed in the metallic base.
post #658 of 2400 Old 03-03-2010, 02:08 PM

http://www.sony.co.uk/product/tpa-tv...ckets/su-52nx1

"Perforated audio – the stand is perforated with tiny holes which allow sound to pass through from TV speakers so you get crystal clear sound from your BRAVIA TV "

I think that means the stand is not a speaker

Sony is dead.
post #659 of 2400 Old 03-03-2010, 02:30 PM

Quote:

The metallic base is a speaker itself . The sound quality would only get better.

I was told this also but is there any documentation on this???
post #660 of 2400 Old 03-03-2010, 05:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karmyna View Post

Store tends to adjust the TV set proportionnaly to the comission the clerks makes on the specific model. Maybe this week the comission was better on the sharp model or they want to liquidate those last year sharp so they set them better.

I never trust a store demo to determine the quality of a TV set.

Besides, he's comparing a high-end set (the XBR) with low/mid-market sets (EX500/700): meaningless.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page