BRAVIA 2010 Line Up - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 2400 Old 01-09-2010, 05:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: In the glorious open countryside of Eastern Ontario.
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by irkuck View Post

...Sony was never showing the actual hig-end for the year at the CES. For this one has to wait for the dealer lineup show or even deep into the summer.

Agree. I expect Sony to aggressively try to dominate the high-end flat-panel market with a range of premium 60-70 inch sets, or even larger. The substrate panels from their new Gen10 plant could easily give them 80+ inch TVs.

Aside from all the expected goodies (4-color LEDs, advanced LD etc.) I wouldn't be surprised to see a line of HT monitors with optional separate tuners, audio systems and Wi-Fi modules. This seems to me to be an untapped market now that Pioneer has dropped their premium HT plamas. Lots of owners of premium HTs, or their installers, would appreciate the flexibility.

None of this will be cheap, but probably much less than the price they asked for their 70 inch XBR7.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 2400 Old 01-10-2010, 08:40 AM

Someone asked this question and I'd like to know myself...

Those local dimming LED models... are they using the triluminous LEDS or White LEDS. If it is the latter I'm not interested.

...also where is the rumored XBR 12 that I thought had triluminous? Really confused right now. Why does Sony wait so long to show their ACE cards. There are obvious answers for this but c'mon Sony you're killing me. Why mess around with edge-lit LED when you know the triluminous which is in the XBR-8 model is in high demand.

**sigh**
post #93 of 2400 Old 01-10-2010, 09:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked: 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by bk.secret23 View Post

I see the movie Man in Black 2,this movie is not available on bluray yet,
why use a dvd to demonstrate picturequality?
post #94 of 2400 Old 01-10-2010, 09:12 AM

I don't think there will be new "high-end LCD TVs" from Sony this year. The 60inch LX900 would cost you about $7000 (according to Sony insider) , how can Sony announce sets that are more expensive than that ?

Why so many Edge-lit LED sets ? Profits.

Sony is dead.
post #95 of 2400 Old 01-10-2010, 09:36 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked: 420
^^^ I agree with your whole statement. It is amazing right now that LG xxLH90, samsung UNxxB8500, and Vizio 551 are the only local dimming LEDs sets.
post #96 of 2400 Old 01-10-2010, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holy bear View Post

I don't think there will be new "high-end LCD TVs" from Sony this year. The 60inch LX900 would cost you about $7000 (according to Sony insider) , how can Sony announce sets that are more expensive than that ?

Why so many Edge-lit LED sets ? Profits.

Yeah but you're talking about size and a 70-inch model. I'm talking about the advanced RGB LED circuitry. I mean that's not to say that the white and edge-lit LED models won't be beautiful but RGB triluminous LED is really kind of in another class.

Also if you want to talk about size and price even if Sony released the high-end trilumious LED models I'm sure they would release small size models such as a 40 or even 46-inch model which in no way would run more than 7k. Now a 52 inch....maybe between 6k and 7k.... or more depending on how arrogant Sony is feeling this year.

Bottom Line: If they wanted to release the high end RGB models they could do it. It has nothing to do with price because they could still release high quality RGB LED sets at a competitive price at smaller sizes. But again I understand strategically why they may be holding back but it doesn't mean I have to like it
post #97 of 2400 Old 01-10-2010, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post

^^^ I agree with your whole statement. It is amazing right now that LG xxLH90 and the samsung UNxxB8500 are the only good local dimming LEDs.

Best: XBR8

Did you sell that set?
post #98 of 2400 Old 01-10-2010, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8mile13 View Post

I see the movie Man in Black 2,this movie is not available on bluray yet,
why use a dvd to demonstrate picturequality?

I don't think they were showing the actual movie. It was more of a demo disc in blu-ray containing clips of movies.
post #99 of 2400 Old 01-10-2010, 11:54 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosepass2 View Post

Best: XBR8
Did you sell that set?

Right but they are discontued and have no replacement so I did not add them to that very short list
post #100 of 2400 Old 01-10-2010, 11:59 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Sony used to be a innovative company when it comes to televisions, these flat panel units have pushed many companies pretty much out of the TV game. Yes they sell televisions but nothing with a true wow factor for the last 2 years that is cost effective. Sure they sell a 10" OLED for $3000, but XBR8 was there last good set that was cost effective and it looks like for 2 years now they will not have a replacement. Other companies are effected too, remember Hitachi and Mits? Those where huge TV companies that almost do not sell TVs anymore. Son'y, Panasonic, Samsung, and LG had HUGE booths, mits had one 1/8 the size. I did not see a Hitachi booth but I may have overlooked it.
post #101 of 2400 Old 01-10-2010, 12:03 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Sony used to be a innovative company when it comes to televisions, these flat panel units have pushed many companies pretty much out of the TV game. Yes they sell televisions but nothing with a true wow factor for the last 2 years. XBR8 was there last good set and it looks like for 2 years now they will not have a replacement. Other companies are effected too, remember Hitachi and Mits? Those where huge TV companies that almost do not sell TVs anymore.

I hate to agree being a Sony fan for a long time, but the other electronics companies have or are rapidly catching up to Sony (e.g., Samsung, LG, and even Toshiba), and I'm sure Sony's financial problems haven't helped.
post #102 of 2400 Old 01-10-2010, 12:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 40
Quote:

^^^ I agree with your whole statement. It is amazing right now that LG xxLH90 and the samsung UNxxB8500 are the only good local dimming LEDs.

Lot of people would disagree with you. Vizio 551 is good local dimming LED and half the price of the 55B8500. Same with Vizio 552
post #103 of 2400 Old 01-10-2010, 12:13 PM
AVS Addicted Member

post #104 of 2400 Old 01-10-2010, 01:04 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Sony used to be a innovative company when it comes to televisions, these flat panel units have pushed many companies pretty much out of the TV game. Yes they sell televisions but nothing with a true wow factor for the last 2 years that is cost effective. Sure they sell a 10" OLED for $3000, but XBR8 was there last good set that was cost effective and it looks like for 2 years now they will not have a replacement. Other companies are effected too, remember Hitachi and Mits? Those where huge TV companies that almost do not sell TVs anymore. Son'y, Panasonic, Samsung, and LG had HUGE booths, mits had one 1/8 the size. I did not see a Hitachi booth but I may have overlooked it.

your point is what about the 2010 line up then?Sony launches the XBR8 in 2008.the best lcd still,but when people saw the price,immediately complained about the price.At that timing,and with those production costs it was impossible to have a lower price.we saw big price drops only when the production costs allowed it and stock had to be moved.In short,we cant ask for products like XBR8 and then not buy them,because in this world we cant have both.Sony afforded for one time to have such a product,without actually selling it to the consumer,but it cant be done again,nor by sony nor by any other company!!
post #105 of 2400 Old 01-10-2010, 01:14 PM

It's true that many companies are catching up, but it's not like anything innovative can come along every year. Yes, the XBR8 is probably and still is the best LCD produced to date, but you can't expect products like that to reach a global market because an ordinary CCFL LCD would probably fit a normal house family. Innovative products usually are expensive, but people have high expectations for it - and one of the highest expectation is "cheap" cost.

What I like about Sony, that even Samsung, Sharp, LG, and the other television companies do not have is that they do not have a global reach as Sony in their wide range of products situated for other consumers. (eg. electronics and movie production, etc.)
Even though they are not on their "own league", they deserve recognition for what they are doing right now...
post #106 of 2400 Old 01-10-2010, 01:25 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHRISGEOFROMGREE View Post

your point is what about the 2010 line up then? Sony launches the XBR8 in 2008.the best lcd still,but when people saw the price,immediately complained about the price.At that timing, and with those production costs it was impossible to have a lower price.

No real big point just having a conversation. The Basic part I was trying to get across is that there are some big companies that are being pushed out of the market. I did not think the XBR8 was at a bad price compared to its only competition at that time, the Samsung LNxxA950.
post #107 of 2400 Old 01-10-2010, 01:28 PM

The HX900 has "Full Array Led Backlit" and LD.

Sony is dead.
post #108 of 2400 Old 01-10-2010, 01:48 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

No real big point just having a conversation. The Basic part I was trying to get across is that there are some big companies that are being pushed out of the market. I did not think the XBR8 was at a bad price compared to its only competition at that time, the Samsung LNxxA950. I guess I would have liked to have seen a local dimming LED from sony. They may release one this year, ya never know, but there was not one at CES that I saw.

neither had I problem with the price,but we are very few.....

the HX900 is l/d full led
post #109 of 2400 Old 01-10-2010, 03:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:

What I like about Sony, that even Samsung, Sharp, LG, and the other television companies do not have is that they do not have a global reach as Sony in their wide range of products situated for other consumers. (eg. electronics and movie production, etc.)
Even though they are not on their "own league", they deserve recognition for what they are doing right now...

I'm still trying to figure out what you're talking about here. Why should any of us care about a company's "global reach"?

post #110 of 2400 Old 01-10-2010, 03:37 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHRISGEOFROMGREE View Post

the HX900 is l/d full led

lol, there ya go. I was going to ask the sony reps, but they were not around.
post #111 of 2400 Old 01-10-2010, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigerriot View Post

I'm still trying to figure out what you're talking about here. Why should any of us care about a company's "global reach"?

It's not what you think it is...
In terms of availability throughout the world, not "influence".
post #112 of 2400 Old 01-10-2010, 05:49 PM

Quote:

you didn't know there was a LED backlit from Sony?
post #113 of 2400 Old 01-10-2010, 06:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:

It's not what you think it is...
In terms of availability throughout the world, not "influence".

I'm just not sure why a consumer would ever care how wide the distribution model is for a certain tv manufacturer. You stated this was one of the reasons he liked Sony best.

post #114 of 2400 Old 01-10-2010, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigerriot View Post

I'm just not sure why a consumer would ever care how wide the distribution model is for a certain tv manufacturer. You stated this was one of the reasons he liked Sony best.

Ok we're confusing each other. Let me explain it again.
Sony has a whole range of products situated for many types of consumers, since it isn't only just a company situated on electronics. "Products" would include other things that entertain people like it's movie and music industry.
Without them, we wouldn't get competition between other companies to "compete" with what they have and other reasons so fourth.

It's the same reason as liking a company because of their products. We like the company as a whole because of what they offer for consumers, even though they aren't the "best" of course. A lot of things wouldn't be here without Sony's effort in innovation.

PS: Without Sony, Samsung wouldn't be where they are right now.
post #115 of 2400 Old 01-10-2010, 07:38 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:

No real big point just having a conversation. The Basic part I was trying to get across is that there are some big companies that are being pushed out of the market. I did not think the XBR8 was at a bad price compared to its only competition at that time, the Samsung LNxxA950.

then why did not it sell at 7k
post #116 of 2400 Old 01-10-2010, 08:01 PM

Quote:

Here you go

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=48OiPU80aLg&hd=1

A Sony speaker explains the backlight and dimming used in the LX900 and HX900.
post #117 of 2400 Old 01-10-2010, 08:06 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosepass2 View Post

you didn't know there was a LED backlit from Sony?

I new they had LEDs displays, I thought they were all edge lit this coming year like the XBR10.
post #118 of 2400 Old 01-10-2010, 08:26 PM

Anyone else notice that if you use the "compare" tool at the sonystyle site to compare TVs, they include a section that lists "INPUTS AND OUTPUTS," and it indicates where the connections are found on the TV (side or rear), but they don't include HDMI? Why would they not let you know how many HDMI ports their sets have within the comparison tool? Here's my theory... someone in marketing realized how absolutely IDIOTIC it is that their engineers decided to include only ONE HDMI port on the back of some multi-HDMI-port sets. Some of their sets have four ports, with THREE of the four ports located on the SIDE. It's mind-boggling that an engineer, who has supposedly graduated high-school, would consider that to be a good design. I like Sony TVs, but wouldn't even consider their sets with only one HDMI port on the back when I was shopping. My guess is that someone in marketing insisted that the HDMI port be left off of the comparison tool in the hopes that fewer people would realize they were making TVs, in 2009, with only ONE HDMI port on the back.
post #119 of 2400 Old 01-10-2010, 09:18 PM

The HX900 is most likely going to be better than the XBR8. It seems really likely given it's "full array LED backlighting" that it will come equipped with a U2VA panel and Triluminous RGB LED backlighting. And if it does in fact have both a U2VA and Triluminous then it will be a very sharp set.

My biggest problem though is that LCD still can't match the motion resolution of a Plasma unless it performs motion/frame interpolation. I was watching my XBR9 in my bedroom the other day (which I'm returning for a boatload of reasons) and then decided to go out into my living room and watch my 60" Kuro; aside from the obvious better still picture quality on the Kuro, it was amazing how much better the motion resolution was as well. FWIW, I'm hugely against any sort of motion interpolation; my eyes can't stand it.
post #120 of 2400 Old 01-10-2010, 09:55 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedDemon View Post

The HX900 is most likely going to be better than the XBR8. It seems really likely given it's "full array LED backlighting" that it will come equipped with a U2VA panel and Triluminous RGB LED backlighting. And if it does in fact have both a U2VA and Triluminous then it will be a very sharp set.

It doesn't have the Triluminos system - otherwise they would have advertised that.

White LEDs *could* mean less wide color gamut than the XBR8 but that's no big loss for most people (not even Blu-ray makes use of it). We'll see if the set has an equally good basic color calibration out of factory like the XBR8, though.

I don't know about the qualities of U2VA, yet, but I expect at least twice the amount of dimming zones, reducing dimming halos on this set.

Quote:

My biggest problem though is that LCD still can't match the motion resolution of a Plasma unless it performs motion/frame interpolation. I was watching my XBR9 in my bedroom the other day (which I'm returning for a boatload of reasons) and then decided to go out into my living room and watch my 60" Kuro; aside from the obvious better still picture quality on the Kuro, it was amazing how much better the motion resolution was as well. FWIW, I'm hugely against any sort of motion interpolation; my eyes can't stand it.

Practically all new local dimming sets utilize some form of backlight scanning - like the XBR8 already did. With that you come close to the best plasmas as it improves motion resolution - without interpolation if you wish (there is a separate setting for that).

The XBR9 offers nothing of this sort as it's still CCFL-based and has to rely on interpolation to battle on of the native LCD problems.

It seems to me that either your personal requirements are indeed very high or that you didn't make an informed decision when buying the XBR9. IMHO you should replace it with another plasma and be done with it.

bye
Benny
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page