BRAVIA 2010 Line Up - Page 7 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 2400 Old 01-16-2010, 02:08 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have a 38 1/2" limit for width on a new tv. The sony 40" w/z/xbr9 will fit the wife's cabinet- I am wondering if I should wait until the 2010 models arrive?

All this talk of clouds and flashlighting has me afraid to buy a current model. Has there been any talk of the new models fixing these problems?

Ps if it was up to me I would put up a 55" tv on the wall but it is the wifes room

John
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 2400 Old 01-16-2010, 04:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by bulbman2852 View Post

I have a 38 1/2" limit for width on a new tv. The sony 40" w/z/xbr9 will fit the wife's cabinet- I am wondering if I should wait until the 2010 models arrive?

All this talk of clouds and flashlighting has me afraid to buy a current model. Has there been any talk of the new models fixing these problems?

Ps if it was up to me I would put up a 55" tv on the wall but it is the wifes room

John

If you go to sonystyle.com and choose compare for one of the nx series and it will have dimensions and weight. I was looking at the sizes too.
post #183 of 2400 Old 01-16-2010, 05:06 PM

I am also interested in a 40" model scaled for a smaller-sized room, and came close to purchasing an XBR9 a few weeks ago. My initial impressions of the new Sony lineup are favorable enough to encourage me to wait until some reviews are provided for the new NX 700 and NX800, which are due out in late February. I am leaning toward the NX700, but am disappointed that it is not 240hz. Apparently, the only way one can get a 40" with 240hz is to get the 3D ready HX800 model which won't be out until summer, and, of course, at additional cost.

Also, although I really like the monolithic design, especially with that new metallic base, I am a little concerned about how much reflection will be generated by that new glassy screen. We'll have to wait to hear what the first-hand impressions are, and, hopefully, they will start coming in soon.

Perhaps some opinions and impressions of those who attended the CES and saw these models will become available here.
post #184 of 2400 Old 01-16-2010, 05:13 PM

Looks like the new sonys are a bit wider then the 2009 model s.........guess i will look at the sony w or z or xbr9---- mits 40151 is still a posibility
post #185 of 2400 Old 01-16-2010, 05:27 PM

If you need a 40" model then the KDL-40HX800 is probably going to be the 40" Sony to get when it finally releases in the summer.
post #186 of 2400 Old 01-16-2010, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedDemon View Post

If you need a 40" model then the KDL-40HX800 is probably going to be the 40" Sony to get when it finally releases in the summer.

I cant find the dimensions on this tv. can you help me?
post #187 of 2400 Old 01-17-2010, 06:53 AM

The dimensions for the HX800 line are not provided on the Sony site, only the NX700 and NX800, which are currently available for Pre-order, are showing specifications. Might have to wait a few months for more details on the 3D-ready models. If I had to guess, though, I would say that the HX800 will be about the same size as the NX line.
post #188 of 2400 Old 01-17-2010, 07:49 AM

thanks for the reply- the new sets look really good but if they dont have narrow besels and have a width of less than 38 1/2, then they can not be used by me. I need a set with the dimensions of the 40 xbr9- no I cannot get rid of my wife.

John
post #189 of 2400 Old 01-17-2010, 02:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Got over to SonyStyle a couple of hours ago to check things out (Tysons Corner). Firstly before I mention anything else, what actually surprised me the most is how packed the place was. I think literally it was the most crowded I'd ever seen it... so, I guess that's good for Sony. They had(have?) "the back" set up as a darkened game area now, with three sets running three different PS3's. The biggest crowd though was around a 52VE5 set in the HT area running a Transformers Blu-ray with the MotionFLow obviously on max. I will admit even though I turn it off for my own film viewing, it always does impress when it is cranked up!

In terms of the 3D demo itself, it was a pretty boring clip of looped soccer footage+polar bear. It did the job well enough and I found the glasses plenty comfortable, but I don't think it's going to have any strong appeal beyond novelty factor until a good 3-D Blu-ray is running on it instead. That was on an LX (40 I think). They had the NX there as well in its stand, but it was running some pretty bland stuff as to not draw attention away from the larger VE5 in the HT setup.

I think the new monolithic design is pretty nice, and I actually like the "thickness" of the sets for being edge-lit. They are quite thin obviously, but still seem 'substantial,' if that makes sense. Obviously it's just plastic in the end, but the visual illusion is nice enough.
post #190 of 2400 Old 01-17-2010, 05:25 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 13
can anytime get some pictures of PQ of the kdl-xxnx800?

I would prefer the 60 incher but any PQ shots of this line would be much appreciated!

My Home Theater
post #191 of 2400 Old 01-17-2010, 06:10 PM

While pictures of the PQ would be nice to see, I would appreciate any first-hand impressions of the new NX700/NX800 sets. While there is certainly an appealing improvement in the monolithic design, I would like to hear if there is an improvement in the picture compared to the XBR9. Also, does the new glass surface create any problems with reflections?

Thanks xbdestroya for the report on your SonyStyle visit. Any impressions or observations regarding picture quality or reflections, etc. on the NX? Thanks.
post #192 of 2400 Old 01-17-2010, 06:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr335tr View Post

While pictures of the PQ would be nice to see, I would appreciate any first-hand impressions of the new NX700/NX800 sets. While there is certainly an appealing improvement in the monolithic design, I would like to hear if there is an improvement in the picture compared to the XBR9. Also, does the new glass surface create any problems with reflections?

Thanks xbdestroya for the report on your SonyStyle visit. Any impressions or observations regarding picture quality or reflections, etc. on the NX? Thanks.

From CES press releases on the new Sony lines, only the LX line to be released in the summer, has the new OptiContrast surface treatment, a clear surface treatment and resin sheet that lies between the LCD display panel and glass plate serving to minimize reflection and refraction of external and internal light.
post #193 of 2400 Old 01-17-2010, 06:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeSony View Post

From CES press releases on the new Sony lines, only the LX line to be released in the summer, has the new OptiContrast surface treatment, a clear surface treatment and resin sheet that lies between the LCD display panel and glass plate serving to minimize reflection and refraction of external and internal light.

He's not asking for technical specs though - just PQ impressions. And though the NX doesn't have the 'OptiContrast' treatment (whatever that ends up being), it does have a plastic 'panel' spanning the entire surface of the set. At least I believe it was clear plastic vs glass - I'll have to go back to be sure.

Anyway... I honestly don't have any PQ impressions of the set. Like I mentioned, they just simply weren't running anything of note on it to judge from. I think when it gets closer to release they'll probably put the TV in a position of greater prominence and start running the BD's on there... that will be a better test of the set. Reflections I couldn't tell either, since the lighting was such that the TV wasn't catching a lot of glare, but I'll be honest and say that with the monolithic sets, I would be surprised if glare wasn't much more of an issue than the non-monolithic's in 2010. How could it not be? It has a singular sheet of plastic/glass spanning over the whole thing!
post #194 of 2400 Old 01-18-2010, 08:08 AM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 16
The HX900s look pretty impressive. I'm wondering about horizontal width of the 46". Hopefully I can fit one in 45". I could put a 47" LG with .9" to spare, but Sony usually likes wide bezels...
post #195 of 2400 Old 01-18-2010, 08:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by schalliol View Post

The HX900s look pretty impressive. I'm wondering about horizontal width of the 46". Hopefully I can fit one in 45". I could put a 47" LG with .9" to spare, but Sony usually likes wide bezels...

in the pics, the bezel looks the same as the NX series, which have measurements up on sonystyle.com

I don't think they would be much wider than that. Maybe a little, but i doubt even an inch. Sony is concentrating on the styling this year, which means smaller bezels among other things.
post #196 of 2400 Old 01-18-2010, 03:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Some initial comments on Sony's take on 3d. Not surprisingly, their version of the technology seems half baked.

http://hdguru.com/ces-2010-news-and-...t-1-sony/1245/

Not to mention that the confusion mill is running full bore. HDguru suggests that all the high end models are edge lit, whereas SonyStyle wording seems to indicate at least one model line is fully led backlit. Here we go again........
post #197 of 2400 Old 01-18-2010, 04:25 PM

ABC WARE HOUSE BEAT ALL INTERNET PRICEING SO i BOUGHT THE 40W5100. I seems like whenever I get the itch for a new piece of electronics that I have no self control to wait for the next model... thanks guys for your input

john
post #198 of 2400 Old 01-18-2010, 05:38 PM

To add further confusion to the mix, in the article by hdguru.com (see link above in schlick's post) the Sony COO/President is quoted on a price for the 40" 3D-ready, 240hz, HX800 of $1599.00. What's confusing is that the lower series 40" NX700, which is not 3D-ready and only has 120hz is currently priced at $2099.00. Perhaps Sony will be aggressively pricing the 3D-ready sets to get them into homes that will then need to purchase emitters, glasses and 3D Blu-Ray players.
post #199 of 2400 Old 01-18-2010, 06:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by schlick View Post

HDguru suggests that all the high end models are edge lit, whereas SonyStyle wording seems to indicate at least one model line is fully led backlit. Here we go again........

What I interpret from HDGuru's take on the HX series is that the entire panel *is* backlit - it's simply backlit by individual 'tiles' that are themselves edge lit. That's my own interpretation of course, but it seems in the vein of what is being described there.
post #200 of 2400 Old 01-19-2010, 05:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xbdestroya View Post

What I interpret from HDGuru's take on the HX series is that the entire panel *is* backlit - it's simply backlit by individual 'tiles' that are themselves edge lit. That's my own interpretation of course, but it seems in the vein of what is being described there.

I'm pretty sure that the XBR-HX800 is an edgelit/backlit tv, and the HX900 is local dimming with LEDs behind the screen... at least that is my interpretation.

It's funny that they are calling the LX900 the flagship, as the PQ won't be as good as the HX, but it will have more "features" like streaming wirelessly and face sensors and all of that stuff.
post #201 of 2400 Old 01-19-2010, 06:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitetrash66 View Post

I'm pretty sure that the XBR-HX800 is an edgelit/backlit tv, and the HX900 is local dimming with LEDs behind the screen... at least that is my interpretation.

It's funny that they are calling the LX900 the flagship, as the PQ won't be as good as the HX, but it will have more "features" like streaming wirelessly and face sensors and all of that stuff.

I was thinking the same thing about the LX900 line lacking the local dimming feature of the HX, but loaded with other features. I wonder since the largest LX is 60" they couldn't design that large a set with local dimming without pricing it way too high, thus the largest HX set is 52".
post #202 of 2400 Old 01-19-2010, 10:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Does anyone know with certainty which models will have the AR treatment? LX or HX? Seems to be quite a bit of confusion with that.
post #203 of 2400 Old 01-19-2010, 10:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Wasn't that HDGuru specificity though regarding the HX900 and not the 800? The HX800 we know to be edge lit, there's no question there. The question was then, is HDGuru now also saying that the HX900 is edge lit due to their language; I was just positing that no, I don't believe that is what they are saying, that it may have been describing further the manner in which the full backlighting zones are achieved - in the case of their language and my interpretation, 'tiles' of LEDs behind the panels.

I mean I'm just trying to make sense of HDGuru assuming they were speaking truth on the matter. Either way, I myself am expecting a fully backlit screen on the HX900, with local dimming.

And I agree that there is some confusion introduced when the lead unit may actually have worse PQ then the one right under it... I just hope that the Sony marketing gets it right and target the HX as the videophile set and the LX as the 'feature' set.'

EDIT: If the HDGuru article is to be believed also, then the HX900 and the LX900 will actually carry the same price at retail as well, so it would seem that Sony is cognizant that they have two 'top of line' TVs launching, each just targeted towards a different segment.
post #204 of 2400 Old 01-19-2010, 10:55 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=48OiPU80aLg&hd=1
At 1:50 a guy from SONY explains the differences between HX900 and X4500 (XBR8).

Sony is dead.
post #205 of 2400 Old 01-19-2010, 12:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Wasn't that HDGuru specificity though regarding the HX900 and not the 800? The HX800 we know to be edge lit, there's no question there. The question was then, is HDGuru now also saying that the HX900 is edge lit due to their language; I was just positing that no, I don't believe that is what they are saying, that it may have been describing further the manner in which the full backlighting zones are achieved - in the case of their language and my interpretation, 'tiles' of LEDs behind the panels.

I mean I'm just trying to make sense of HDGuru assuming they were speaking truth on the matter. Either way, I myself am expecting a fully backlit screen on the HX900, with local dimming.

And I agree that there is some confusion introduced when the lead unit may actually have worse PQ then the one right under it... I just hope that the Sony marketing gets it right and target the HX as the videophile set and the LX as the 'feature' set.'

EDIT: If the HDGuru article is to be believed also, then the HX900 and the LX900 will actually carry the same price at retail as well, so it would seem that Sony is cognizant that they have two 'top of line' TVs launching, each just targeted towards a different segment.

After watching that video below your post, the HX900 is definately the new local dimming set. I am pretty sure i have read somewhere that the HX800 is side LED lit with local dimming, maybe the LX series is as well. All three TVs use motionflow 240 PRO with the blinking backlight, but i'm betting the LX just flashes off and on, not top to bottom like the XBR8. Either way, i am definately wanting the HX900, not so much the LX900.
post #206 of 2400 Old 01-19-2010, 12:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

After watching that video below your post, the HX900 is definately the new local dimming set.

Yes definitely. Many thanks for the video Holy Bear. Beyond confirmation it helps to flesh out the manner in which they do it as well - there are rows of LEDs like a typical backlit, but they are flush perpendicular with the panel with guides to direct the light, which is why they are able to keep it thin relative to a typical LED full backlit. And I think the local dimming then is performed by internal adjustment of the 'tiles/guides' as well as of the LEDs themselves.

We haven't talked much about the OptiContrast thing either - knowing now that it's a resin layer in between the top sheet and the screen is fairly nice. It also allows room for the 10G UV2A panels to make their way in as an additional unadvertised nicety.
post #207 of 2400 Old 01-19-2010, 01:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Yes definitely. Many thanks for the video Holy Bear. Beyond confirmation it helps to flesh out the manner in which they do it as well - there are rows of LEDs like a typical backlit, but they are flush perpendicular with the panel with guides to direct the light, which is why they are able to keep it thin relative to a typical LED full backlit. And I think the local dimming then is performed by internal adjustment of the 'tiles/guides' as well as of the LEDs themselves.

We haven't talked much about the OptiContrast thing either - knowing now that it's a resin layer in between the top sheet and the screen is fairly nice. It also allows room for the 10G UV2A panels to make their way in as an additional unadvertised nicety.

Are these confirmed to be the new UV2A panels? I would love that, and i would be willing to look at a lower end model to see how good the blacks are.
post #208 of 2400 Old 01-19-2010, 02:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Are these confirmed to be the new UV2A panels? I would love that, and i would be willing to look at a lower end model to see how good the blacks are.

No they're not confirmed, which is why I think it'll be an additional bonus should that come about. But earlier since there was some confusion as to whether 'OptiContrast' might refer to the UV2A or not, at least now we know that it does not.
post #209 of 2400 Old 01-19-2010, 02:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

No they're not confirmed, which is why I think it'll be an additional bonus should that come about. But earlier since there was some confusion as to whether 'OptiContrast' might refer to the UV2A or not, at least now we know that it does not.

I agree I've seen nothing on the UV2A at all in respect to the 2010 Sony introductions, the only thing we know about OptiContrast is that it is reserved for the LX series.
post #210 of 2400 Old 01-19-2010, 03:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Well the HX has it also, which would make sense since the HX is to be the PQ leader between the two.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays