post #2371 of 2400 Old 08-05-2010, 04:50 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by raaj View Post

I see that the flyer as a list of updates to the existing lineup. NX800 and NX700 are being updated/replaced with NX810 and NX710 with new features like dynamic edge lit, presence sensor, 3D, better motionflow algorithm, etc. Definitely a step in the right direction for Sony. Maybe the HX900/HX701 doesn't figure in the flyer because their features are not being upgraded. The HX909 is pretty loaded as it is, but the NX and EX models are gaining features and hence feature in the flyer. Maybe.

Isn't the LX even more loaded than the HX? Yet it is there in the flier and the HX is missing completely. It certainly looks like it is a goner. Gone before it arrived. Strange.

There - in or at that place <Stand over there>
Their - of or relating to them <Their furniture>
They're - they are <They are so polite>
:)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2372 of 2400 Old 08-06-2010, 03:15 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeSony View Post

Are these updates for the US market or only for the European market?

the brochure is from singapore, so I'd expect it to be more than just Europe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RudyG View Post

Isn't the LX even more loaded than the HX? Yet it is there in the flier and the HX is missing completely. It certainly looks like it is a goner. Gone before it arrived. Strange.

It has more stuff in it, that doesn't mean its better. Its Sony's odd range this year - just because it has wifi and 3D transmitter built in, it doesn't mean its flagship. In theory the HX is the image flagship, but then the LX has glasses included - does that make it the 3D flagship, or just a convenient all-in-one for premium lifestyle markets?
post #2373 of 2400 Old 08-06-2010, 07:15 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 18
[quote=richard plumb;19010893]the brochure is from singapore, so I'd expect it to be more than just Europe.
/QUOTE]

Thanks, just wonder if these will eventually be offered in the US market.
post #2374 of 2400 Old 08-06-2010, 07:23 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 17
[quote=JoeSony;19011266]
Quote:
Originally Posted by richard plumb View Post

the brochure is from singapore, so I'd expect it to be more than just Europe.
/QUOTE]

Thanks, just wonder if these will eventually be offered in the US market.

We would assume that they will, but we don't have a confirmaton.
post #2375 of 2400 Old 08-06-2010, 08:10 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by richard plumb View Post

It has more stuff in it, that doesn't mean its better. Its Sony's odd range this year - just because it has wifi and 3D transmitter built in, it doesn't mean its flagship. In theory the HX is the image flagship, but then the LX has glasses included - does that make it the 3D flagship, or just a convenient all-in-one for premium lifestyle markets?

Yup totally agree with you there. However, the poster that I was replying to, had posted that perhaps the HX was missing because it is lo laden with features that there was nothing left to upgrade. And that since there were no upgrades there was no need to include it in the brochure.
I still feel the HX is gone though. A company will never miss a chance to market its product, unless of course it is being discontinued. My question is why? Has Sony discovered some reliability "issues" ala the current SXRD line of their TVs in the HX line? Or what other reason is causing them to discontinue the HX line? Its rather important for me to know before I decide on it as my next TV.

Rudy

post #2376 of 2400 Old 08-06-2010, 08:58 AM

The pdf document comes from Sony Singapore and if you check the website now you will find that there is no HX900 or HX800 , I think that's why HX is not mentioned in the document - Sony will not release HX900 in Singapore and the new NX810 is the same as the HX800 (Dynamic Edge Led , 3D Ready , Motionflow pro)

Sony is dead.
post #2377 of 2400 Old 08-06-2010, 11:31 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holy bear View Post

The pdf document comes from Sony Singapore and if you check the website now you will find that there is no HX900 or HX800 , I think that's why HX is not mentioned in the document - Sony will not release HX900 in Singapore and the new NX810 is the same as the HX800 (Dynamic Edge Led , 3D Ready , Motionflow pro)

So it seems the HX909 is still available in the US, just not being offered for overseas market.
post #2378 of 2400 Old 08-06-2010, 11:35 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Ahhh, OK. That works as an explanation for me. Although I can't quite understand why would Sony withhold the HX9XX from any specific country. But I'm willing to be convinced easily, especially if you feel you have some inside knowledge into the matter.
Now we just need some thorough reviews of the HX line, something we've been looking/waiting for, for some time now.

Thanks Bear.
Rudy

post #2379 of 2400 Old 08-07-2010, 07:56 AM

Living in Denmark, I could buy a LG 55" LX9500 for 4000$ right now or I could wait on for august 24th when 52" HX900 is supposed to come (date has been pushed several times) which is going to cost 4600$. LG includes two 3D glasses, Sony none (although I'm going to bargain for a deal including glasses). Just got my whole surround system + Denon AVR-3311 receiver so I almost can't wait anymore. And on the other hand it's a TV I'm going to use for the next 8-10 years.

So I could trade off the HX 900 advantages over the LG: no slight color banding tendency, better 3D (less crosstalk), less local dimming halos from angles but on the good side get 3" more, glasses included and get it NOW. I think I'm going to wait for the Sony HX900 still, but if they push it again I won't be sure..

3D just means much to me since I'm planning on 3D gaming quite a lot, and it just seems that Sony has the best 3D on LCD.
post #2380 of 2400 Old 08-09-2010, 01:25 PM

i have commented on this very early in this thread and i had a website that talked about it.....i cant find it now on that site....but this does seem interesting and if the patent was 1yr ago.....could they implement this with a firmware update?????

http://www.flatpanelshd.com/news.php...&id=1281338856
post #2381 of 2400 Old 08-09-2010, 02:42 PM
Advanced Member

What is the deal with Sony's HX701 in the US? Is it widely available like the ex500? Here in canada, only Futureshop carries the model. On the Sonystyle website (US), the TV is not even listed (while it is listed in canada). Any idea as to why? I'm curious. It's suppose to be Sony's best CCFL TV this year.
post #2382 of 2400 Old 08-09-2010, 02:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guibs View Post

What is the deal with Sony's HX701 in the US? Is it widely available like the ex500? Here in canada, only Futureshop carries the model. On the Sonystyle website (US), the TV is not even listed (while it is listed in canada). Any idea as to why? I'm curious. It's suppose to be Sony's best CCFL TV this year.

My best buy was clearance open boxing thier display hx. Guess they are done.

I dont knwo where you seem to find they were the best ccfl. I had my choice and spent ALOT of time with the ex5 and the hx. I found the ex5 to be the better set.

The screen on the hx was glossy and tinted the image much like a plasma set.
post #2383 of 2400 Old 08-09-2010, 03:02 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by serialmike View Post

My best buy was clearance open boxing thier display hx. Guess they are done.

I dont knwo where you seem to find they were the best ccfl. I had my choice and spent ALOT of time with the ex5 and the hx. I found the ex5 to be the better set.

The screen on the hx was glossy and tinted the image much like a plasma set.

When I am saying their "best" CCFL, it's mostly because it is 240hz, using the Bravia Engine 3, had the monolith design and darker black. On paper, it is suppose to be their best CCFL. Now in practice...

I could be buying a EX500 for 500$ to 800$ less than a HX701 which makes me consider the ex500. I actually had a Hx701, but returned it due to heavy clouding (they didn't have another for me to exchange). Now I watch a lot of sports (mostly hockey) so I am wondering if going to the 120hz instead of 250hz and downgrading to BE3 instead of 3 if it will make a difference PQ wise.

Also, the input lag on the HX701 seemed good. I am wondering if it's the same on the ex500 (heard bad thing about it).
post #2384 of 2400 Old 08-09-2010, 08:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

When I am saying their "best" CCFL, it's mostly because it is 240hz, using the Bravia Engine 3, had the monolith design and darker black. On paper, it is suppose to be their best CCFL. Now in practice...

I could be buying a EX500 for 500$ to 800$ less than a HX701 which makes me consider the ex500. I actually had a Hx701, but returned it due to heavy clouding (they didn't have another for me to exchange). Now I watch a lot of sports (mostly hockey) so I am wondering if going to the 120hz instead of 250hz and downgrading to BE3 instead of 3 if it will make a difference PQ wise.

Also, the input lag on the HX701 seemed good. I am wondering if it's the same on the ex500 (heard bad thing about it).

120hz works. It does what it is supposed to. 240 is a marketing gimmick.
post #2385 of 2400 Old 08-09-2010, 08:43 PM

Liked: 13
Quote:

120hz works. It does what it is supposed to. 240 is a marketing gimmick.

I disagree that 240Hz is a marketing gimmick, now Sharp Quattron, thats a marketing gimmick.
post #2386 of 2400 Old 08-09-2010, 09:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by theblackkeys View Post

I disagree that 240Hz is a marketing gimmick, now Sharp Quattron, thats a marketing gimmick.

David conroy of CNET

Quote:

"When dejudder is engaged, you can easily spot its impact on the picture. (It's also worth mentioning that the dejudder processing on the 240Hz TVs we tested so far wasn't any better--or worse--than than the dejudder on 120Hz TVs). "

Quote:

After having reviewed three 240Hz TVs that use MEMC and one, the Toshiba 47ZV650U, using the scanning backlight, Katzmaier reports that the MEMC version of 240Hz is slightly superior at reducing blur. But when he says that, he's referring to test patterns where models from Sony and Samsung scored slightly better than the Toshiba. MEMC displays delivered between 900 and 1,000 lines of motion resolution, which matches the result of a typical plasma, while the Toshiba scored between 800 and 900. But again, watching everyday material, whether it be from a Blu-ray movie or HDTV content from your cable or satellite provider, he and I both maintain that the difference between having a 120Hz LCD TV and a 240Hz TV is virtually imperceptible. In other words, superiority is a very relative term in this instance.

http://reviews.cnet.com/240hz-lcd-tv...-need-to-know/

Unless your a super human with special powers. 240 is a gimmick.
post #2387 of 2400 Old 08-10-2010, 04:04 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

The NX810 is significantly different in size to the HX800. The HX800 is more like the NX710 (40" & 46"), but that only has 100Hz motionflow pro. Still a little confusing.

Quote:

I thought the HX700 (euro equivalent) had been discontinued and will be replaced with a HX710 or similar. Maybe due to panel change or similar? Hasn't been in the market long.

also apparantly in the UK the HX900 is no longer available to order at retail. Seems the stock is incredibly limited and Sony have pulled it from retail while they *slowly* satisfy preorders.
post #2388 of 2400 Old 08-10-2010, 06:45 AM

Quote:

David conroy of CNET

http://reviews.cnet.com/240hz-lcd-tv...-need-to-know/

Unless your a super human with special powers. 240 is a gimmick.

I do not consider Cnet a reputable source for anything over the past 2 1/2 years. Theoretically 240Hz is better and its not a gimmick.
post #2389 of 2400 Old 08-10-2010, 07:53 AM

Quote:

i just saw them at costco last week
post #2390 of 2400 Old 08-10-2010, 02:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Alhambra, CA / San Gabriel Valley.

NO price talk of course please.

I have not checked it out yet. I just called and spoke to BC. If your driving from far away, youmight want to call confirm that they didnt take down the display for any reason.

Thanks for letting me "contribute." And thanks to everyone who always helps this thread along.

"Don't f**K with my levels!"
post #2391 of 2400 Old 08-10-2010, 04:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I do not consider Cnet a reputable source for anything over the past 2 1/2 years. Theoretically 240Hz is better and its not a gimmick.

No offense but im pretty sure more people consider Cnet more reputable than some guy on a forum.

Those guys compared all the sets with patterns tests and visual side by sides.
post #2392 of 2400 Old 08-10-2010, 04:49 PM

Quote:

No offense but im pretty sure more people consider Cnet more reputable than some guy on a forum.

Those guys compared all the sets with patterns tests and visual side by sides.

I agree, I just dislike Cnet because of their bias to Plasma.
post #2393 of 2400 Old 08-10-2010, 04:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I agree, I just dislike Cnet because of their bias to Plasma.

They did not claim plasma superiority here. This was about 60, 120 and 240.

Also they do a decnet job at what they do. the problem I think with them is that thier enviroment is plasma biased and for the most part unrealistic for most viewers. I dont think they do it on purpose. I think thy just dont realize the bias in thier test room.

I think they dont adjust for this disparity in thier final scores. Considering enviroment thier reviews are pretty much spot on.

The only place I have a real issue with them is thier comments of blue in dark scenes on LCD's. Most LCD reviews lately have had this. A properly calibrated LCD sony samsung (the main ones they like to say this about) Doesnt have this.
post #2394 of 2400 Old 08-18-2010, 05:17 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Sony's european model of HX900 just received the EISA award for best LCD 3D TV, while Panasonic TX-P50VT20 got the EISA award for best plasma 3D TV:
http://www.eisa.eu/awards/4/video.html

In case you're wondering if EISA is a reliable source, check this out:
http://www.eisa.eu/about.html

So the vote by professional reviewers of 50 magazines can't be wrong compared to a single review by CNET. It's a bit like comparing a score of metacritic.com to the one of only one website don't you think ?

Now I wonder how the recently announced Panasonic GT25V with 2D to 3D conversion will fare...
post #2395 of 2400 Old 08-24-2010, 12:22 PM

Has this thread been replaced? Awfully quiet. Anyone see the LX900 yet?
post #2396 of 2400 Old 08-24-2010, 12:34 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 14
I think people have been more focused on the Official [model] Owner threads since late spring.

Interesting to note though, where last December there was this whole extensive line of XBR11's projected for 2010, now we're down to what? four XBR badged models, three of which are Edge Lit? And other than being buried into the actual model numbers, XBR as a category really has no "stand out" presence on the Sony site. Sort of sad when you stop and think about it; especially with all the heritage.

I wonder if there is going to be some pop up surprises in the model line-up heading into the Christmas season...

/me scratches his chin
post #2397 of 2400 Old 08-24-2010, 01:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by amatot View Post

I wonder if there is going to be some pop up surprises in the model line-up heading into the Christmas season...
/me scratches his chin

That would be nice, or some real nice price drops starting on Black Friday.

JohnG
post #2398 of 2400 Old 08-24-2010, 08:23 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnGZ28 View Post

That would be nice, or some real nice price drops starting on Black Friday.

The way these mfg's have taken a early jump on lowering prices and bundling all this extra stuff - during the summer months - I think it's safe to say they'll be pretty aggressive going into the holiday season. Remember, the economy is pretty foul world-wide and the pundits are all gabbing about double-dips or worse, depression. They'll be trying to move all these televisions BIG TIME.

It will be interesting to see how the stocking thing goes as the holidays draw near. As it stands now, all these brick and mortar joints are really squeezing their inventory belts rather tight and have been for months.
post #2399 of 2400 Old 09-14-2010, 12:45 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 28
I am confused by the Sony models. I saw a 60" in Costco-NX801.
From what I have read on this site, that is exactly the same set as the Sony NX800-am I correct? If so, does either the NX800 or NX801 come in a 55"?
Originally I was looking at the 55HX800-what are the main differences between the HX800 and the NX801. I am more concerned with picture quality than if it is 3D or not.
Thanks
post #2400 of 2400 Old 09-15-2010, 06:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmunster2 View Post

I am confused by the Sony models. I saw a 60" in Costco-NX801.
From what I have read on this site, that is exactly the same set as the Sony NX800-am I correct? If so, does either the NX800 or NX801 come in a 55"?
Originally I was looking at the 55HX800-what are the main differences between the HX800 and the NX801. I am more concerned with picture quality than if it is 3D or not.
Thanks

Follow this link to the Sony webpage and click on the models you want to compare.

http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/...tegoryId=28844

JohnG
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page