Best Buy to stop carrying the 55B8500? - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #31 of 40 Old 01-02-2010, 07:38 AM
Member
 
darkvader's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 182
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by omeletpants View Post

Nonsense. Samsung announces their mid and lower tier stuff at CES with introduction in the spring. The high end 8500 replacement won't be announced until next Sept.

Nonsense as well - this was "last time strategy". As there was no "real" announcement of high end last year (I don't count the 8500 as high end, the sheduled 9xxx series was high end which was than suddenly dropped before IFA), and in Europe there is basical thill the A9xx series actual high end which is not availible anymore for nice prices and the 8500 is not released i bet that there will be a High End announcement this year at CES.
darkvader is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #32 of 40 Old 01-02-2010, 07:54 AM
AVS Special Member
 
omeletpants's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 5,154
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkvader View Post

Nonsense as well - this was "last time strategy". As there was no "real" announcement of high end last year (I don't count the 8500 as high end, the sheduled 9xxx series was high end which was than suddenly dropped before IFA), and in Europe there is basical thill the A9xx series actual high end which is not availible anymore for nice prices and the 8500 is not released i bet that there will be a High End announcement this year at CES.

To be honest, I had a hard time understanding your run-on sentence. But if I have the gist correct, I say 8500 was the high end offering in the states, because it was.

There has been a staggered product introduction for the last 3 years: mid-low tier in the spring and high end in the fall. That will continue. The reason it will continue is that it makes no sense to introduce the 8500 last September then replace it 6 months later from a revenue and profit standpoint.
omeletpants is offline  
post #33 of 40 Old 01-02-2010, 08:09 AM
Member
 
darkvader's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 182
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by omeletpants View Post

To be honest, I had a hard time understanding your run-on sentence. But if I have the gist correct, I say 8500 was the high end offering in the states, because it was.

There has been a staggered product introduction for the last 3 years: mid-low tier in the spring and high end in the fall. That will continue. The reason it will continue is that it makes no sense to introduce the 8500 last September then replace it 6 months later from a revenue and profit standpoint.

Okay, i will make my sentences shorter :-).
First of all, I don't say that the B8500 will be discontinued. But you have to consider one thing: this is Samsung. Samsung is one of the companies with the shortest product lifecycles i have ever seen. 6 month lifecycle? Good enough. And you are right, the 8500 was the most "High End" set which Samsung released and announced. But it was not the planned High End.
The B8500 was a product which they had to bring end of last year because they needed anything. If this really would have been there scheduled High End product for the next 12 month than it would have been brought to Europe as well.
But this didn't happen. As i said, here we still have the A series as "high end" which was announced 2008. And which is nearly not available. As a sum up you can say, there is NO model with LD available in Europe. Do you really think they will still keep an non availible "A" series as High end in Europe as even the Low and Mid Range Products will be the "C" series already? Never - this wouldn't make sense at all.

As I said, they had to do something on the US market - and as the original planned B9000 was canceled because of development issues, the 8500 model was a product to keep the face and to have at least something available.

However, expect a C9xxx model at CES. If there will be none, than Samsung will be really in trouble and they will lose the complete LD market in Europe to other companies.
darkvader is online now  
post #34 of 40 Old 01-02-2010, 08:17 AM
AVS Special Member
 
omeletpants's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 5,154
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkvader View Post

Okay, i will make my sentences shorter :-). First of all, i don't say that the B8500 will be discontinued. But you have to consider one thing: This is Samsung. Samsung is one of the companies with the shortes product lifecycles i have ever seen.
The B8500 was a product which they had to bring end of last year because they needed anything. But if this really would have been there High End product for the next 12 month than it would have been brought to Europe as well.
But it didn't happend. As i said, here we still have the A series as "high end" which was announced 2008. Do you really think they will still ahve a "A" series as High end in Europe as even the Low and Mid Range Products will be the "C" series already? Never - this wouldn't make sense at all.

As I said, they had to do something on the US market - and as the original planned B9000 was canceld because of development issues, the 8500 model was a product to keep the face and to have at least something availible.

However, expect a C9xxx model at CES. If there will be none, than Samsung will be really in trouble.

The A950 was always intended to have a 1 year cycle in the US. This is no secret. As early as March 2009 they were already filling final production allocation. You make it sound like the 8500 is some sort of a stop gap product when in fact it is an upgrade to the 950: has more local dimming zones and greater contrast along with adjustable AMP and dejudder. That's significant and worthy of a new product introduction. But there will be a new, high end released to the public in the fall, not the spring.

What happens in Europe and Asia is often different then what happens here. There are often specific zone products that aren't released everywhere.
omeletpants is offline  
post #35 of 40 Old 01-02-2010, 08:37 AM
Member
 
darkvader's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 182
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by omeletpants View Post

The A950 was always intended to have a 1 year cycle in the US.

Once again: it is the same in Europe. This Set is not avavilble anymore. If you check the Internet here, than there might be a handfull availible. But the successor should have been the B9xxx - planned for the Spring relase which you can even read in this forum here. There have been things planned like Wireless HDMI and the Media Box. But for which reasons however, they didn't brought that to the market end of last year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by omeletpants View Post

You make it sound like the 8500 is some sort of a stop gap product when in fact it is an upgrade to the 950: has more local dimming zones and greater contrast along with adjustable AMP and dejudder. That's significant and worthy of a new product introduction.

Nevertheless it is a "gap filler" because the real High end was not ready in time. Sure, it is a development and a better set than the A series - everything else would have been dissapointing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by omeletpants View Post

But there will be a new, high end released to the public in the fall, not the spring.

Okay, we can do this no several times - i bet on CES - and in 4 days i know i was right :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by omeletpants View Post

What happens in Europe and Asia is often different then what happens here. There are often specific zone products that aren't released everywhere.

Sure it is - but sometimes you can get some information if you consider things global.
As the 8500 will not come to europe and the old LD are not avavilible anymore so Samsung NEEDS a product here. And just remember it was not called B9000 - why not? As in every leaked product roadmaps there was a B9000 at the end of 2009. The reason is simple: because it dosen't fullfill the company internal needs to be placed as real high end.
So even Samsung itself sees that there is place for a high end model - and they don't wait another half a year without filling that gap especially as they desperatly need products with LD on any other market than the states.
darkvader is online now  
post #36 of 40 Old 01-02-2010, 10:51 AM
AVS Special Member
 
omeletpants's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 5,154
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Dark, Samsung stopped manufacturing the a950 last May. Did you know that? Anything that was available after that date was stuff in the distribution channel.

Same thing will happen with the 8500. They will end production in May and distribute excess from the channel until Sept when the new high end comes out. It doesn't make sense for them to have a 6 month cycle on the 8500

Nothing was ever promised on the 9000. Companies juggle/delay/move forward technology all the time.
omeletpants is offline  
post #37 of 40 Old 01-02-2010, 11:21 AM
AVS Special Member
 
mattg3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 3,703
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 55
The 8500 is being discontinued as of 1/7/10 because of lawsuit with Sharp

Matt
mattg3 is offline  
post #38 of 40 Old 01-02-2010, 11:31 AM
Member
 
bbucy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 24
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Getting close to pulling the trigger on a new LCD, so I have been browsing these topics quite a-bit lately and being interested in the direction of LCD-LED TVs thought I would chime in.

Just thinking the Sharp/Samsung lawsuit is adding a wrinkle to the Samsung's marketing strategies (e.g. I wouldn't rely on previous history). If the 8500 gets pulled, I don't think Samsung can afford not to replace it quick given the momentum they have started with the LCD-LED line of TVs.

Found this link which gives a hint of possible direction. Not allowed to post URLs yet, so you'll need to cut-and-paste

The following is a snippet of the article which seems to be interesting. The next couple of weeks should be interesting.

"Rather than exhibiting striking products, Samsung plans to expand the global LED-backlit LCD TV. With that perception, ICES is the right event for this strategy," a Samsung representative said, adding more advanced sets of LED-backlit LCD TVs will be introduced.
bbucy is offline  
post #39 of 40 Old 01-02-2010, 01:30 PM
Member
 
darkvader's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 182
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by omeletpants View Post

Dark, Samsung stopped manufacturing the a950 last May. Did you know that? Anything that was available after that date was stuff in the distribution channel.

Same thing will happen with the 8500. They will end production in May and distribute excess from the channel until Sept when the new high end comes out. It doesn't make sense for them to have a 6 month cycle on the 8500

There is no reason why they shouldn't sell the 8500 and the 9000 at the same time. But there is a reason for Samsung to Release a New High end.

Quote:
Originally Posted by omeletpants View Post

Nothing was ever promised on the 9000. Companies juggle/delay/move forward technology all the time.

Not?

http://img300.imageshack.us/i/neuesbild11copy.jpg/
http://img230.imageshack.us/i/neuesbild4copy.jpg/

And there are much more documents leaked over the last year that there will be a B9000 at the end of 2009. Even as they missed end of the year, they don't skip it for 12 month just to follow this old rules.
darkvader is online now  
post #40 of 40 Old 01-06-2010, 02:38 PM
Member
 
darkvader's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 182
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Looks like i was right....
darkvader is online now  
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off