Dynex DX-L40-10A - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 32 Old 12-28-2009, 08:18 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Good day all.
I just bought a Dynex 40" LCD tv from a big blue store with yellow tags.
I cannot get 5.1 DD from the optical out on the tv to the stereo, I am only able to get 2 channel audio

I have two HDMI devices, a Comcast box (DCX3400) and a Blue Ray player (Panasonic DMP BD60) connected to the TV.

The HDMI cables are Dynex cheapos from aforementioned store. The box for the HDMI cables say it does full 1080P

I have an optical cable going from the "digital optical out" on the TV to the "optical-in" on my Kenwood receiver (VR-407)

I am only getting 2 channel audio Via the optical cable to the receiver

I have tried two cables and two of the optical inputs on the stereo. No go
The optical inputs do work when connected to the optical outs of both devices.

The TV doesnt have very many sub options, the manual says it has an SPDIF option that you can set to DD....but the menu of the TV only shows PCM, RAW and Off.

I called the manufacture no help, they said it only sends 2 channel audio. (Then why have optical?). I didnt notice that the option for DD didnt show up in the menu until I was off the phone. Called the geek squad ( I bought the ext warranty) no go either. He said to call the manufacture.

I was hoping to send the 5.1 DD signal to the stereo but it doesnt appear that its working.
I tried the input 2580 thing no go.
Does anyone have any ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 Old 12-28-2009, 11:42 PM

I returned a similarly sized Westinghouse for this same issue years ago. Some TVs just don't do 5.1 output over optical. Don't know whether its something about older sets or the lower tier brands, but I feel your pain and never found an acceptable workaround.
post #3 of 32 Old 12-29-2009, 01:13 AM - Thread Starter

I might just get a new receiver, Im not married to the Kenwood anyway. Im just wondering why they would put in an optical port that is only 2 channel AND put in audio out??? Strange.

I also wonder why they have it in the manual and not on the menu for the TV.
post #4 of 32 Old 12-29-2009, 08:47 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by curtiskendall View Post

I might just get a new receiver, Im not married to the Kenwood anyway. Im just wondering why they would put in an optical port that is only 2 channel AND put in audio out??? Strange.
UPDATE
I also wonder why they have it in the manual and not on the menu for the TV.

I have tested the optical out with OTA and DD does work through the optical out on the TV.
post #5 of 32 Old 12-29-2009, 08:51 AM

Quote:

Good day all.
I just bought a Dynex 40" LCD tv from a big blue store with yellow tags.
I cannot get 5.1 DD from the optical out on the tv to the stereo, I am only able to get 2 channel audio

I have two HDMI devices, a Comcast box (DCX3400) and a Blue Ray player (Panasonic DMP BD60) connected to the TV.

The HDMI cables are Dynex cheapos from aforementioned store. The box for the HDMI cables say it does full 1080P

I have an optical cable going from the "digital optical out" on the TV to the "optical-in" on my Kenwood receiver (VR-407)

I am only getting 2 channel audio Via the optical cable to the receiver

I have tried two cables and two of the optical inputs on the stereo. No go
The optical inputs do work when connected to the optical outs of both devices.

The TV doesnt have very many sub options, the manual says it has an SPDIF option that you can set to DD....but the menu of the TV only shows PCM, RAW and Off.

I called the manufacture no help, they said it only sends 2 channel audio. (Then why have optical?). I didnt notice that the option for DD didnt show up in the menu until I was off the phone. Called the geek squad ( I bought the ext warranty) no go either. He said to call the manufacture.

I was hoping to send the 5.1 DD signal to the stereo but it doesnt appear that its working.
I tried the input 2580 thing no go.
Does anyone have any ideas?

Can you run an optical cable from you cable box to the receiver and bypass the TV??
post #6 of 32 Old 12-29-2009, 09:29 AM - Thread Starter

Good question, yes, and 5.1 on the Kenwood does work when its plugged into the source (Blue ray/Cable Box).
I dont mean to be picky but it would be a pain to switch the input on the TV then switch the input on the stereo (I dont have the stereo remote). And it would be nice to have the TV act as the receiver and have only one cable going it.
post #7 of 32 Old 12-29-2009, 11:17 AM

Liked: 23
Most TV's don't pass the 5.1 from other devices. It usually only does 5.1 DD out of optical from it's built in HD tuner and stereo from everywhere else.
It's been like that on all my HDTV's.
post #8 of 32 Old 12-29-2009, 11:31 AM - Thread Starter

Interesting, and thats what Im seeing happen
The r-tard at the big blue box store said it would (shocking I know)
Im kinda bummed out. Looks like Im SOL. I might just have to get a less depressing HDMI stereo and switch it on that instead of the TV. Thanks, if any one has any other ideas Id love to hear about them. Or maybe knows how to get into the service menu of the TV.
I still just don't understand why they have a DD option in the manual, but it doesn't show up on the menu for the TV?
post #9 of 32 Old 12-29-2009, 11:42 AM

Quote:

Interesting, and thats what Im seeing happen
The r-tard at the big blue box store said it would (shocking I know)
Im kinda bummed out. Looks like Im SOL. I might just have to get a less depressing HDMI stereo and switch it on that instead of the TV. Thanks, if any one has any other ideas Id love to hear about them. Or maybe knows how to get into the service menu of the TV.
I still just don't understand why they have a DD option in the manual, but it doesn't show up on the menu for the TV?

It does suck that it doesn't work like that.
But getting a new receiver with HDMI would also get you the newer HD audio from bluray and allow you to use that as the switcher. Most of the newer receivers have like 4 HDMI in and 1 out. So you don't really have to switch inputs on the TV. My receiver even lets my bring in analog video and outputs it via HDMI so the TV always stays on the same input.
Just make sure the receiver actually does decode the DD HD or DTS HD/MA. I got burned the first time I assumed that just because it has HDMI it would decode the HD audio.
post #10 of 32 Old 12-29-2009, 11:53 AM - Thread Starter

I think I might do that....I dont know if were allowed to post links or not. But this is what Im thinking about getting. Its cheap and I think it will work.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Insignia...&skuId=9320335
post #11 of 32 Old 12-29-2009, 12:25 PM

Quote:

I think I might do that....I dont know if were allowed to post links or not. But this is what Im thinking about getting. Its cheap and I think it will work.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Insignia...&skuId=9320335

That should work OK. The Onkyo TX-SR507 would be better, but runs about $80-100 more at most online retailers.
Nether does analog video to HDMI though. Not sure if that matters much to you. Heck, the Wii is the only analog thing that's plugged into my receiver.
I'm using a Insignia bluray player plugged into the Dynex 40" in my bedroom and I'm quite pleased with how good it is, so I wouldn't have a problem buying that receiver.
post #12 of 32 Old 12-29-2009, 01:03 PM - Thread Starter

I have a Wii as well. I might just get that cheap stereo and switch it when I play the wii.
post #13 of 32 Old 12-30-2009, 02:33 AM

Hi, I just bought this TV, and I was surprised at how nice the picture was on this TV. I have a Samsung 52A630 and Sharp 52in. Aquos LCD and clearly those are a better quality than this set, but overall this is a nice LCD for my bedroom and I'm happy with it so far.

I checked out a blu-ray on my PS3 connected to the Dynex and the picture was amazing. Got it for $499, was totally worth the price, just gotta go back and get the warranty now that I have decided to keep it.

The speakers sounded really bad at first, but after playing with the settings.. the sound came out a lot better after that.

Does anyone have any video settings that they recommend for this set?
post #14 of 32 Old 12-30-2009, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texraider View Post

Hi, I just bought this TV, and I was surprised at how nice the picture was on this TV. I have a Samsung 52A630 and Sharp 52in. Aquos LCD and clearly those are a better quality than this set, but overall this is a nice LCD for my bedroom and I'm happy with it so far.

I checked out a blu-ray on my PS3 connected to the Dynex and the picture was amazing. Got it for $499, was totally worth the price, just gotta go back and get the warranty now that I have decided to keep it.

The speakers sounded really bad at first, but after playing with the settings.. the sound came out a lot better after that.

Does anyone have any video settings that they recommend for this set?

I totally agree, I was very surprised at how good this TV looks. I also have a Samsung (a650) that is a lot better, but this Dynex is not too shabby!

I can't help with video settings because I'm still tweeking mine, but do you care to share your audio settings?
post #15 of 32 Old 12-31-2009, 12:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakestir View Post

I totally agree, I was very surprised at how good this TV looks. I also have a Samsung (a650) that is a lot better, but this Dynex is not too shabby!

I can't help with video settings because I'm still tweeking mine, but do you care to share your audio settings?

The only thing that has bugged me a little bit about the video of this TV, is that I have to lower the sharpness setting all the way to 1 for it to look good. If I raise the sharpness level to 4-7 it looks really grainy, lots of dots show up on the screen. Its a minor nuisance as I don't mind having the sharpness level down, but I guess owning some upper level TV's they have really spoiled me when it comes down to video settings. I'm still playing with the video settings, but overall I'm happy with how nice it looks. My DirecTV H-21 looks real good on this TV, my PS3 looks completely awesome.

As far as the audio settings, I had to change it to surround sound, and notched up everything a little bit on the equalizer and boom! The speakers somehow came to life and are louder than the speakers from the Vizio 37in 720p LCD that this TV replaced. A nice AV receiver would be better ofcourse but I'm not planning on that yet, and the speakers are doing fine after changing the settings.

Current audio settings:
Balance: 0
Surrounds Sound: On
Equalizer:
120hz - 6
500hz - 4
1.5khz - 5
5Khz - 5
10Khz - 7

Auto Volume Control: off

I haven't really put any real effort into making the best sound come out of this TV yet, but it definitely sounds better now after changing the Audio settings.
post #16 of 32 Old 12-31-2009, 06:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texraider View Post

The only thing that has bugged me a little bit about the video of this TV, is that I have to lower the sharpness setting all the way to 1 for it to look good. If I raise the sharpness level to 4-7 it looks really grainy, lots of dots show up on the screen. Its a minor nuisance as I don't mind having the sharpness level down, but I guess owning some upper level TV's they have really spoiled me when it comes down to video settings. I'm still playing with the video settings, but overall I'm happy with how nice it looks. My DirecTV H-21 looks real good on this TV, my PS3 looks completely awesome.

As far as the audio settings, I had to change it to surround sound, and notched up everything a little bit on the equalizer and boom! The speakers somehow came to life and are louder than the speakers from the Vizio 37in 720p LCD that this TV replaced. A nice AV receiver would be better ofcourse but I'm not planning on that yet, and the speakers are doing fine after changing the settings.
Current audio settings:
Balance: 0
Surrounds Sound: On
Equalizer:
120hz - 6
500hz - 4
1.5khz - 5
5Khz - 5
10Khz - 7
Auto Volume Control: off
I haven't really put any real effort into making the best sound come out of this TV yet, but it definitely sounds better now after changing the Audio settings.

Yeah, I've notice the graininess if I'm about 3ft or closer with the sharpness at 3. But when I'm watching from my normal spot at 8ft I can't see it. I'll try turning it down to 1 to see the difference.

I thought the TV sounded better with the "Surrounds Sound" setting on also, but it sounded to me like the dialog was getting lost in the mix. But then again, I didn't mess with the equalizer settings so thanks for those numbers, I will give that I try.
What I ended up doing last night was getting my computer speakers (that were sitting a box not getting used) and plugged them into the headphone out on the TV and WOW what a difference! They are just some cheap Logitect 2.1 that I bought on sale last year and never used, but man, it made a great improvement! I didn't think the small sub from the logitech's would do much, but for my bedroom it was just fine. Plus I can still adjust the volume with the TV remote since the speakers are coming from the headphone jack. I wanted to get a soundbar for it but my budget ran out so I had to use what I had, but I'm pretty dang happy with it now.
Tonight I was put in those equalizer settings and turn the surrounds sound back on and check it out.
post #17 of 32 Old 01-02-2010, 12:50 PM

I also just bought the Dynex DX-L40-10a hdtv. It's hooked up thru cablevision using the HD8300 box with DVR. I have a audio problem when using the HDMI connection. When I turn off the TV and then turn it back on there is no sound until I change the channel. If I turn the TV off and then on again the sound works. Tried different HDMI cables and it still didn't work. Got a second HD8300 from cablevision and still had the problem. This happens every single time. When I put on the component wires, it worked fine. I had another TV in the house using the non DVR HD4200 and it worked fine. Once the sound is back on everything is fine, no dropouts or anything like that.

Then I tried some experiments. I tried turning the TV on first, waited exactly 3 seconds, then turned the cable box on - that seemed to do the trick and the sound was on every time. Doing it less than 3 seconds or more than 3 seconds, then no sound. Anyone ever have this or heard of this. It's not a defect in the Dynex TV that will lead to more serious problems, will it? Seems to me that it's just a compatability issue with the TV and the HD8300 box.
post #18 of 32 Old 01-04-2010, 12:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakestir View Post

Yeah, I've notice the graininess if I'm about 3ft or closer with the sharpness at 3. But when I'm watching from my normal spot at 8ft I can't see it. I'll try turning it down to 1 to see the difference.

I thought the TV sounded better with the "Surrounds Sound" setting on also, but it sounded to me like the dialog was getting lost in the mix. But then again, I didn't mess with the equalizer settings so thanks for those numbers, I will give that I try.
What I ended up doing last night was getting my computer speakers (that were sitting a box not getting used) and plugged them into the headphone out on the TV and WOW what a difference! They are just some cheap Logitect 2.1 that I bought on sale last year and never used, but man, it made a great improvement! I didn't think the small sub from the logitech's would do much, but for my bedroom it was just fine. Plus I can still adjust the volume with the TV remote since the speakers are coming from the headphone jack. I wanted to get a soundbar for it but my budget ran out so I had to use what I had, but I'm pretty dang happy with it now.
Tonight I was put in those equalizer settings and turn the surrounds sound back on and check it out.

That's true, more distance does make a big difference. I tried using the sharpness level at 2 and I still didn't like it.. but maybe its just me, so I'm satisfied with it at 1. I'll just leave it at that and move on.

Thanks for the great advice on the computer speakers.. You made me think about some spare older computer 2.1 JBL speakers that I had there just sitting in the garage for months.. and I tried what you said, and to my surprise (messed around a little with the TV Audio settings and speaker settings) the sound that came out was really nice. I watched District 9 on Blu Ray and it sounded nice for my bedroom. It wasn't nearly as good as my HT setups on my other TV's but I still liked it a lot more than what comes out of the TV and for my bedroom it was almost perfect. I might end up spending a little more on a better 2.1 system in the future, but this will do great for now. Thanks jakestir for the great tip!
post #19 of 32 Old 01-04-2010, 12:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasfam View Post

I also just bought the Dynex DX-L40-10a hdtv. It's hooked up thru cablevision using the HD8300 box with DVR. I have a audio problem when using the HDMI connection. When I turn off the TV and then turn it back on there is no sound until I change the channel. If I turn the TV off and then on again the sound works. Tried different HDMI cables and it still didn't work. Got a second HD8300 from cablevision and still had the problem. This happens every single time. When I put on the component wires, it worked fine. I had another TV in the house using the non DVR HD4200 and it worked fine. Once the sound is back on everything is fine, no dropouts or anything like that.

Then I tried some experiments. I tried turning the TV on first, waited exactly 3 seconds, then turned the cable box on - that seemed to do the trick and the sound was on every time. Doing it less than 3 seconds or more than 3 seconds, then no sound. Anyone ever have this or heard of this. It's not a defect in the Dynex TV that will lead to more serious problems, will it? Seems to me that it's just a compatability issue with the TV and the HD8300 box.

I don't have any problems like that at all. I have a PS3 and DirecTV H21-200 connected to this TV by HDMI and they both work perfect when I turn any of them on, in either order. I haven't had any problems with no sound coming out since I bought the Dynex a few weeks ago.

I would recommend for you to test something else that uses HDMI on your Dynex TV and see if it does the same thing. If it does, then you might have a defective TV, if not, then it might be your cable box, either the settings on your cable box or the box itself, or maybe as you said a compatibility issue with the TV and the cable box.
post #20 of 32 Old 01-04-2010, 08:47 AM

Yes Texraider, I have tested this tv with a HDMI connection on a SA 4250 HD box (incorrectly said 4200 in previous post) and it worked fine. Tried 2 different SA 8300 HD's and had the same problem with both. That's why I'm thinking it is not a defect in the TV but just a incompatability with the 8300.
post #21 of 32 Old 01-04-2010, 01:39 PM

Quote:

Yes Texraider, I have tested this tv with a HDMI connection on a SA 4250 HD box (incorrectly said 4200 in previous post) and it worked fine. Tried 2 different SA 8300 HD's and had the same problem with both. That's why I'm thinking it is not a defect in the TV but just a incompatability with the 8300.

I thought the 8300 sounded familiar, I had two of those boxes last year when I had Time Warner Cable, and I also remember having problems with those same boxes on both of my other 52" LCD's (one of them with a AV receiver). I also had problems with them outputting sound through HDMI. I had to mess with them through the advanced settings menu, changing them to Dolby Digital, and back. I can't remember exactly what I did, but it was a hassle, although I have to say it wasn't as bad for me, the sound would just go away once in a while and all I would do is turn everything off and back on and it would start working. My problems would just happen once in a while, not everyday.

I think its those 8300HD-DVR's.. they are pretty buggy, it's only one of the many reasons why I went to DirecTV. Too many problems with my cable company and I got tired of only having like 13 HDTV channels on cable (including locals) and paying more than DirecTV and Dish Net. I went back to DirecTV after having cable for 4 years, and there's no going back. Enough of my rant, I hope it gets fixed for you, it looks like your TV is fine, maybe they can give you another model of cable boxes to work properly with your TV? Good luck either way.
post #22 of 32 Old 01-04-2010, 02:32 PM

Funny, i'm experiencing audio issues with SA 4250 HD box.
I tested the HDMI port on tv and audio works fine.

I've ordered SA 8300HD-PVR to see if that one works any better lol.
post #23 of 32 Old 01-04-2010, 02:33 PM - Thread Starter

I got a message back from Dynex. They say it wont pass 5.1 from HDMI to optical out.
post #24 of 32 Old 01-04-2010, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bokito View Post

Ok, so I got SA 8300HD-PVR setup and everything is working beautifully
via HDMI. No audio issue.

So my SA 4250HD was the culprit.
post #25 of 32 Old 01-05-2010, 05:37 AM

Quote:

Ok, so I got SA 8300HD-PVR setup and everything is working beautifully
via HDMI. No audio issue.

So my SA 4250HD was the culprit.

Thats' weird, because my problem was just the opposite. Did you have to turn the TV on first and wait a few seconds before turning the cable box on or are you doing it any order.
post #26 of 32 Old 01-05-2010, 10:45 AM

Quote:

Thats' weird, because my problem was just the opposite. Did you have to turn the TV on first and wait a few seconds before turning the cable box on or are you doing it any order.

I'm just using remote that came with 8300. By default, when i hit power button,it turns on the TV first and after a second or two it turns on the pvr.

I haven't tried any other powering sequence, no need really.
post #27 of 32 Old 01-06-2010, 01:41 AM

Quote:

I have to admit that when I used my 8300's on my TVs last year, I used Harmony remotes, and they turn everything on in a certain order.. so maybe that's why I didn't have that many problems with my audio. My problems would only happen once in a while.

As Bokito said, the 8300 remote can do this as well.. it can be programmed to turn on both the TV and cable.. so maybe that can help you out with your problem?

Otherwise I would also recommend getting a Harmony remote that can be programmed to turn on your equipment in a certain order. The only problem is that some Harmony remotes can be a little costly, but they sometimes can be found at cheaper prices by shopping around on the net.
post #28 of 32 Old 01-06-2010, 03:02 AM

Dynex 40" LCD tv is awesome.
post #29 of 32 Old 02-21-2010, 07:03 AM

Quote:

no sound except video with an HDMI connection to a Rogers 4250HD cable box. The same 4250HD with my other brand LCD works fine over HDMI. What is weird is that the Rogers 8300HD PVR box with HDMI works fine with this Dynex TV (DX-L40-10A).

anyone help or update ?

thanks
post #30 of 32 Old 03-12-2010, 09:20 AM

Rogers guy said this is the HDMI problem of this Dynex TV as the same rogers box 4250HD works fine with other brands (Samsung, Sony).

However, the technician guy from Futureshop said the Dynex TV has no problem as the HDMI ports works with other rogers box HD PVR 8300 and other DVD players.

Confusing
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page