Vizio SV472xvt - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 186 Old 02-18-2010, 09:32 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just picked up the XVT472SV (the non-VIA LED). Does anyone have any good configs for this? This is my first HDTV (this just replaced my old monster 34") and I am a noob when it comes to HDTV's. Any help would be appreciated.

Hopefully my HDMI and Optical cable I ordered arrive tomorrow. When I have it set up with the proper cables, I will post my uneducated opinions...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 186 Old 02-24-2010, 09:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
The SV472XVT arrived yesterday.

The good/great stuff.
  • Setup was great, the guided walkthrough actually worked very well, all the inputs and network configured properly.
  • Although not calibrated yet the picture looks great, I did turn down the backlighting a bit because it was soooooo bright that even with the auto-dimming it was overwhelming at night - and I like a bright picture.
  • The tuner is very good at pulling in weak signals.
  • Seems well built, yet amazingly light.
  • It has a quality look to it and a thin frame. One of the reasons this TV was on my short list is I needed a screen that could fit in a 45.5" wide opening. This TV gives me over .5" on each side - perfect.

Minor issues encountered.
  • The channel scan missed a couple of local channels on the initial scan. There is no way to directly add a missing digital channel, however a partial scan can be done and in my case added the missing channels.
  • Beyond Netflix the VIA apps are mostly uninteresting. I am looking forward to Vizio opening up the app list to include more of the widgets.
  • I cannot find a way to turn off the Vizio logo light on the front, I will likely use electrical tape to cover it for now.
  • The ability to control a receiver/amplifier volume has to be configured through the menus by changing the volume control button to an external source. So if you do not use an external recv/amp 100% of the time you have to change this back and forth each time - a major pain.
  • An existing HDMI cable I had would not work between the Samsung BD and this Vizio. I initially got the BD player splash screen in 480 then the picture dropped out, I switched in a different HDMI cable I had and all is good. However I am concerned that the HDMI port might be overly sensitive.
  • I cannot find an antenna signal strength meter. This is not good if there is not one available.
post #93 of 186 Old 02-26-2010, 09:17 AM

trying to decide if we should spend $1549 on the SV472XVT (with internet apps) or just go with the XVT472SV ($1299) and PS3 (299), anyone have opinions? Won't that pretty much just leave the difference being no blue tooth QWERTY remote?
post #94 of 186 Old 02-26-2010, 02:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HKOsu View Post

trying to decide if we should spend $1549 on the SV472XVT (with internet apps) or just go with the XVT472SV ($1299) and PS3 (299), anyone have opinions? Won't that pretty much just leave the difference being no blue tooth QWERTY remote?

I assume you prices are Amazon and Sams respectively. Depending on the tax & shipping considerations this may drive the prices closer together. I intend to hook my sv472XVT up to a HTPC so I do not expect to use a lot of the internet apps, however given the ~100 price difference after tax @ Sams I went with the VIA model.
post #95 of 186 Old 02-27-2010, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HKOsu View Post

i personally think you decide best for yourself. if you like internet more than gaming, go with SV472XVT http://www.amazon.com/VIZIO-SV472XVT-47-Inch-TRULED-Internet/dp/B0036DDHSA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1267284214&sr=1-1

otherwise go with XVT472SV for ps3.
post #96 of 186 Old 02-27-2010, 08:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsallen View Post

i personally think you decide best for yourself. if you like internet more than gaming, go with SV472XVT http://www.amazon.com/VIZIO-SV472XVT-47-Inch-TRULED-Internet/dp/B0036DDHSA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1267284214&sr=1-1

otherwise go with XVT472SV for ps3.

I'm not too up on the PS3 but doesn't that connect to internet apps as well? If so, then I would go with the PS3 setup. That would give you a BR player as well, not to mention games if your into that.
post #97 of 186 Old 03-01-2010, 05:13 PM

Hi all -- I'm likely to purchase either the SV472XVT or XVT472SV, and this thread has been really helpful.

After considering the differences, right now I'm leaning towards the XVT472SV. I'll share my reasoning, and I'd be interested in opinions from others (especially owners of the SV472XVT) in case I missed something.

First, the internet connection is not a huge deal for me but seems worth having. However, I also plan to eventually buy a BD player, and I expect I'll be able access the internet through that or perhaps (eventually) through my cable provider. I'm not sure the TV is where I want or need that functionality.

Second, I did find the Bluetooth remote interesting. However, it seems to me most of the value of bluetooth (vs. IR) would be in controlling my other devices, like a receiver, which might be sitting behind a door in the media console. However since I expect any receiver I buy (probably a Denon) won't have bluetooth, this doesn't seem to buy anything. The other value I can see is w/ the keyboard. I'm not sure how much I'll use it w/ the internet, but I would use it for searching w/ the DVR. Does the keyboard work with other devices, like a DVR? I'm guessing not, but one never knows.

With the above in mind, I'm thinking I'd rather just have the extra input of the XVT472SV and save the $100 or so difference.

So, am I missing anything?

Thanks,
Six
post #98 of 186 Old 03-02-2010, 09:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxsix View Post

Hi all -- I'm likely to purchase either the SV472XVT or XVT472SV, and this thread has been really helpful.

After considering the differences, right now I'm leaning towards the XVT472SV. I'll share my reasoning, and I'd be interested in opinions from others (especially owners of the SV472XVT) in case I missed something.

First, the internet connection is not a huge deal for me but seems worth having. However, I also plan to eventually buy a BD player, and I expect I'll be able access the internet through that or perhaps (eventually) through my cable provider. I'm not sure the TV is where I want or need that functionality.

Second, I did find the Bluetooth remote interesting. However, it seems to me most of the value of bluetooth (vs. IR) would be in controlling my other devices, like a receiver, which might be sitting behind a door in the media console. However since I expect any receiver I buy (probably a Denon) won't have bluetooth, this doesn't seem to buy anything. The other value I can see is w/ the keyboard. I'm not sure how much I'll use it w/ the internet, but I would use it for searching w/ the DVR. Does the keyboard work with other devices, like a DVR? I'm guessing not, but one never knows.

With the above in mind, I'm thinking I'd rather just have the extra input of the XVT472SV and save the $100 or so difference.

So, am I missing anything?

Thanks,
Six

I struggled with the same question, but in the end chose the sv472xvt even though I have a Samsung Blu-ray player with wifi and apps, and intend to add a HTPC to this setup. To me the $100 / 6% premium was a small cost considering the extensibility. Note that the apps on the Vizio are nicer than on the BD-3600, plus they are just one remote click away and they launch much faster, the Blu-ray player is a bit slow to boot.
post #99 of 186 Old 03-02-2010, 10:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 130
Just ordered this from Dell (through their Dell preferred account). Really looking forward to the PQ, the extra $100 seemed worth it for the internet apps, especially since it tempts me to write one.

I'll be getting it in about a week or so, to be paired with my OPPO BDP-83. Really looking forward to it.
post #100 of 186 Old 03-02-2010, 02:04 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Can you turn on/off 240hz down to 60hz? Is dejudder on/off seperate?

Anyone comment on picture quality with a blu-ray and the 240Hz disabled? Thanks!
post #101 of 186 Old 03-11-2010, 01:20 PM

Hey, great thread guys. I just got my SV472XVT the other day and am having a great time with it.

I did some input lag testing on my SV472XVT and found that the it has 3-4 frames (about 50-65ms) of input lag when using VGA, HDMI, or composite input (it's almost unplayable using the analog red/white/yellow input though). Interestingly the advanced image processing features (smooth motion, noise reduction, etc, etc) don't seem to affect this *at all*, so you can just adjust for the best picture quality and not worry about sacrificing image quality to get lower input lag.

I have more details at the original thread I created for this: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1233747

I hope there's some way for Vizio to add a gaming mode feature with a firmware update that could drop the input lag below 3 frames. Given that none of the advanced image processing features seem to make any difference it seems like the TV must be doing some time-intensive processing that we aren't allowed to turn off. It'll probably never happen, but it sure would be nice. It's the only gripe I have with the TV, and games are still very playable for me at 3-4 frames of lag so it's not a huge gripe.
post #102 of 186 Old 03-11-2010, 02:52 PM

im gonna post here, since there is no thread for my tv, and this is a similar tv, i just got my vt470m today, got it with the wall-mount from dell, ran the thx calibrator on UP and watched some of that, very impressed, this is my 4th HD tv and its the first one that made my wife go WOW, so, very happy with the TV and the deal i got!!!
post #103 of 186 Old 03-14-2010, 08:12 PM

hi all

can anyone confirm if you can play avi, mpeg, mp4 video files from the usb port on the VIA SV472XVT?

thanks in advance.
post #104 of 186 Old 03-15-2010, 10:09 AM

Also does this TV have a youtube app? it looks like it doesnt but why?

thanks
post #105 of 186 Old 03-21-2010, 03:51 PM

usb port is not yet active so cannot answer your question now.

No youtube apps yet.
post #106 of 186 Old 03-21-2010, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shah_vm View Post

usb port is not yet active so cannot answer your question now.

No youtube apps yet.

thanks!

Why wouldnt they have a youtube app. doesnt make sense to me.

it would seem if they were getting it they would have had it from the start or at least by now
post #107 of 186 Old 03-26-2010, 12:00 AM

I finally have my sv472xvt!!! It came in Tuesday and I promptly hooked it up. All I can say is WOW!!! I cannot believe how much I have been missing. I have not played with any adjustments yet and the picture is simply amazing. Set up was easier than setting the time on my coffee maker. All my componants were recognized and everything works from one remote. The apps are excellent. We have been on netflix constantly. Thanks Vizio!!
post #108 of 186 Old 03-26-2010, 04:24 PM

Just got my sv472xvt hooked up yesterday and while I love the picture, I noticed that I can't get closed captioning to work at all. The settings are grayed out so that it's not even possible to change them. I noticed my tv did a firmware update last night and it's hooked up to a Dish Network DVR via HDMI. Anyone have any ideas?

I also noticed I don't have the equalizer option that's present in the manual. Thanks in advance!
post #109 of 186 Old 03-26-2010, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KurtK9 View Post

Just got my sv472xvt hooked up yesterday and while I love the picture, I noticed that I can't get closed captioning to work at all. The settings are grayed out so that it's not even possible to change them. I noticed my tv did a firmware update last night and it's hooked up to a Dish Network DVR via HDMI. Anyone have any ideas?

I also noticed I don't have the equalizer option that's present in the manual. Thanks in advance!

you have to turn off the volume optimizers to access the equalizer....
post #110 of 186 Old 03-26-2010, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raiderfan0770 View Post

you have to turn off the volume optimizers to access the equalizer....

Ahh, thanks! Got that to work. Any idea why closed caption is still blurred out even with the optimizers off?
post #111 of 186 Old 03-26-2010, 05:54 PM

that, im not sure on.... although your cable box should have a CC option...
post #112 of 186 Old 03-27-2010, 06:44 PM

I was all set to get the vizio 47" sv472xvt from costco, but when I went to check out the set that was on display I was quite unimpressed... I really hope whoever set up the vizio messed around with the settings and made it look like junk purposefully cuz it didnt look good at all.. there was another regular vizio 42" lcd displayed across from this set and it looked 100x better than the led... Costco had a Samsung 46' un46c6400 led for about the same price as the Vizio xvt.. so I may lean toward Samsung.. cuz ya cant really go wrong with a samsung led...
post #113 of 186 Old 03-27-2010, 08:26 PM

The default on my box was pretty un-impressive, but by just playing with the simplest of settings and adjusting the color temperature I was much happier with the picture. I also noted that on firmware update it reverted back to the crappy colors, so maybe Costco just didn't adjust it in the store? I think mine is pretty impressive, especially for the price...
post #114 of 186 Old 03-27-2010, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KurtK9 View Post

The default on my box was pretty un-impressive, but by just playing with the simplest of settings and adjusting the color temperature I was much happier with the picture. I also noted that on firmware update it reverted back to the crappy colors, so maybe Costco just didn't adjust it in the store? I think mine is pretty impressive, especially for the price...

In the vizio's defense, costco did have composite cables as the input source....

KurtK9,
Are you running a HD source to your Vizio and if so.... does the Vizio have the "wow/3d effect" type of picture that the samsung LED's typically have...
post #115 of 186 Old 03-28-2010, 04:19 PM

I'm running HDMI from a Dish Network box at 1080i Not sure about the effect you're talking about, but I turned off the 240Hz and played with the color temperature to get a better picture. The 240Hz option does give some 3D effect and the picture quality (especially blacks) look excellent to me.
post #116 of 186 Old 03-29-2010, 09:03 AM

You can pick up a Blu-Ray player that will give you internet apps for under $200 these days and save the money on the TV.
post #117 of 186 Old 03-29-2010, 09:06 AM

Kurt9 How did you turn off the 240Hz in the menu?
post #118 of 186 Old 03-29-2010, 09:12 AM

Problem with HDMI: Purchase the Costco SV472XVT last week and had a problem with Audio using HDMI; I have it connected to a Comcast DCX3400 DVR. Everything is fine until I start changing channels on the cable box. Sometimes it's ok and other times the audio goes out. If I turn-off the TV or cable box and turn it back on the audio comes back until I start changing channels again, same thing if I just unplug the HDMI and reconnect it. I Replaced the cable box but still have the same problem. Switched to component cables and no problem. It looks like the HDMI timing gets out of sync when changing channels; video looks fine.
post #119 of 186 Old 03-29-2010, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rshaw View Post

Kurt9 How did you turn off the 240Hz in the menu?

It's under Tv Settings -> Picture -> More -> Advanced Picture -> Smooth Motion Effect
post #120 of 186 Old 03-29-2010, 06:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by rshaw View Post

Problem with HDMI: Purchase the Costco SV472XVT last week and had a problem with Audio using HDMI; I have it connected to a Comcast DCX3400 DVR. Everything is fine until I start changing channels on the cable box. Sometimes it's ok and other times the audio goes out. If I turn-off the TV or cable box and turn it back on the audio comes back until I start changing channels again, same thing if I just unplug the HDMI and reconnect it. I Replaced the cable box but still have the same problem. Switched to component cables and no problem. It looks like the HDMI timing gets out of sync when changing channels; video looks fine.

Using HDMI3 but similar issues only less frequent.

Click to component on remote then back to hdmi, no need to turn stuff off.

Vizio issue and hopefully addressed with firmware update. Might help to wait for audio before going to next channel.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page