Color temperature and Video Game Design? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 16 Old 01-01-2010, 08:07 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
What TV color temperature is considered when a a video game is designed/developed?

For example, Im using the fantastic color settings specified @ http://img11.imageshack.us/img11/608...6v5100post.pdf which uses "WARM".

However when I use this setting while playing the Forza 3 video game, the blue sky's are no longer blue, they are more white/light blue.

I'm trying to determine are these the "true" colors that the designers intended me to see? or is the "neutral" setting more in tune with the true representation of the colors?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 01-01-2010, 08:56 PM

If a studio is paying attention, and I have every reason to believe Turn10 are (don't have any friends specifically there, but I could probably get in touch with someone if you REALLY want to know), then they're calibrated quite well to a good 6500K reference standard. You're probably running quite a bit warmer (and quite a bit bluer) than that.
post #3 of 16 Old 01-01-2010, 09:35 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Then that leads to the question - If I use the settings mentioned above (which were tweaked to "warm" temp) would everything be thrown off?

I find that the "Warm" setting looks more realistic, ie: dirty, nyc style orange-grey concrete and dull grey skies.

Where "Neutral" looks more - Florida styled - with beautiful clear skies and grey concrete.

I cannot tell which Turn 2 intended me to see..
post #4 of 16 Old 01-02-2010, 12:14 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Promit View Post

If a studio is paying attention, and I have every reason to believe Turn10 are (don't have any friends specifically there, but I could probably get in touch with someone if you REALLY want to know),

You know, I think that it's a great idea to get in touch with them - as you could get a statement that isn't formulaic and constructed like a press release...

bye
Benny
post #5 of 16 Old 01-02-2010, 06:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 23
The Video Game Industry doesn't develop games with REC 709 Standard in mind. Really wish they would.
post #6 of 16 Old 01-02-2010, 06:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I suspect the videogame world works on the standards of a general computer monitor. Which I think is generally along the lines of a neutral color temp.

post #7 of 16 Old 01-03-2010, 03:58 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Interesting subject.

Im using Cnets calibration settings right now which..

"Adjust color temperature to the setting that comes closest to X=0.3127 Y=0.329 (which corresponds somewhat with 6500K) on the CIE chromaticity diagram, as measured on the CS-2000 from window patterns in 5% increments from 100% to 15% on DVE: HD Basics (CH24-41). If the TV has fine color temperature controls that allow adjustment beyond presets such as Warm, Cool, and so forth, those are adjusted as well."

Does this mean that if the Calibration settings indicate that "WARM" must be used - then WARM in this case is closest to the 6500K standard. If I use these settings and set my TV to "Neutral" will NOT be close to 6500k, but way off?

Jeeze this is confusing the more I read the more i'm thrown off..
post #8 of 16 Old 01-03-2010, 04:48 PM

I've always been under the impression that the "Warm" setting on most TV's is closest to the 6500k standard at least from reading different reviews.
post #9 of 16 Old 01-03-2010, 05:05 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Thanks. Anyone care to confirm?
post #10 of 16 Old 01-03-2010, 06:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmace View Post

I've always been under the impression that the "Warm" setting on most TV's is closest to the 6500k standard at least from reading different reviews.

As a general rule few tvs are especially accurate to the 6500k standard at any particular color temp setting but Warm is supposed to be closest. Some sets (I'm thinking Sony, since I have one with this feature) actually have a Warm-1 and Warm-2, with Warm 2 being the redder of the two. Usually this 2nd Warm setting is only available in Custom or Cinema mode. I think Warm 2 is meant to be 5500k to conform with older BW films from the 30s and 40s.

While I've always striven for the most accurate reproduction of movies I've never given much thought to this factor when playing video games. Having recently played games like Fallout 3 in which the overall look of the game gives an atmosphere that has a huge impact on the playing experience I can see I've been wrong.

Steve S.
post #11 of 16 Old 01-03-2010, 08:30 PM

I work for a game studio. None of the game publishers we've developed content for (including some of the biggies) has ever required us to calibrate our monitors to any particular standard. To the best of my knowledge the issue has never come up at all.

Some artists insist on being able to CLEARLY see every single detail in dark areas. This means they tend to set the black level far too high. I won't even qualify that with "in my opinion" because it's just a fact. If I point out the washed-out blacks, their reply is "well if I set it darker I can't see what I've done".

And forget about calibrating color temperature.
post #12 of 16 Old 01-03-2010, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lou99 View Post

What TV color temperature is considered when a a video game is designed/developed?

For example, Im using the fantastic color settings specified @ http://img11.imageshack.us/img11/608...6v5100post.pdf which uses "WARM".

However when I use this setting while playing the Forza 3 video game, the blue sky's are no longer blue, they are more white/light blue.

I'm trying to determine are these the "true" colors that the designers intended me to see? or is the "neutral" setting more in tune with the true representation of the colors?

Color? You guys look at color when playing video games? LOL! I'm too busy avoiding getting killed to notice how accurate the colors are replicated. All I care about is being able to see into the shadows where guys are lurking...

The worst color I've seen in games I own is in Metal Gear Solid 4. YUCK!

Resistance2 - super saturated--gross.

Call of Duty MW2 - seems fine to me--I don't even think about it, so it must be reasonable.
post #13 of 16 Old 01-08-2010, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewOldVinyl View Post

I work for a game studio. None of the game publishers we've developed content for (including some of the biggies) has ever required us to calibrate our monitors to any particular standard. To the best of my knowledge the issue has never come up at all.

Since when is a publisher paying close enough attention to care about calibration? They usually just want to mangle the game design to make it "more accessible to casual gamers" or "get the hardcore crowd" or whatever route it is they've decided will hit the 1mil+ sales mark.

I'll see if I can get a hold of someone at Turn 10, or a couple other studios at least.
post #14 of 16 Old 01-08-2010, 07:36 PM

I also work for a game studio and we rarely discuss color calibration. Recently, though, we purchased a few PANTONE Huey Pro calibrators in order to at least get all of the monitors in the studio to the same color points using Windows Color Profiles. It has worked well.

However, the TVs we use cannot be calibrated with such a device and would require ISF calibration. Since we must test at 480i/p, 720p, 1080i/p we have so many different brand, resolution, and varying quality TVs. Some of them don't even have detailed enough settings to calibrate to any sort of standard.

As a side note. Of course a lot of games aren't even in the realm of reality. Games like Gears of War and Killzone have so many post-effects that desaturate and modify the textures originally created by artists that you may not even see natural colors to compare to the real world. However, games like Uncharted would definitely benefit from a color standard that more closely resemble natural tones.
post #15 of 16 Old 01-08-2010, 08:22 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 15
The question is which is more proper a TV calibrated accurately at D6500k or better off accurately calibrated at D7500k or D9300k for gaming?

Xbox Live Gamertag: FELONY 301

PSN ID: FELONY--301

No problem adding people...
post #16 of 16 Old 02-07-2010, 07:26 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Forza 3 features an in-game camera (which allows you to take photos of your cars and upload them to the web).I took a picture and compared it to my calibrated TV (set to warm) and found that the games pics were much "cooler". The skies were very blue. I guess that calls it!
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page