post #271 of 1447 Old 01-06-2010, 09:56 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by topr View Post

I totally agree...that's why I believe the 3D technology discussion would be better served in a separate thread where the discussion doesn't have to be parsed with the other points of interest regarding the 72" Vizio.

The topics are ALL related, the TV is a 3D TV.

If we were holding a discussion on microwave ovens in this thread then I would agree with having that removed to the microwave oven thread BUT we are all here discussing 3D TV technology in a thread about what?

You guessed it.....a Vizio 3D TV.

Why should that have to be 2 seperate discussions.

It's a 3D TV, we are discussing 3D and TV and Vizio's version of it for their new TV lineup.

What is the crime being commited here again?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 1447 Old 01-06-2010, 09:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by fafner View Post

Does anyone know what a 3D movie or tv image looks like if you don't use the appropriate glasses?

fafner

a blurry mess because you have both the left/right images overlayed on each other like a double-exposure. Have you ever been to a 3D movie that uses polarized or LCD glasses? Just take them off for a few seconds and you'll see.

1080p and lossless audio. EVERY BD should have them both.
post #273 of 1447 Old 01-06-2010, 09:59 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaViD Boulet View Post

You cannot watch a 3D movie that requires glasses *without* the glasses. Of course the image was blurry without the glasses... that's because you're seeing both the left and right overlayed and so it's like a double exposure.

When you watch 3D TV at home you'll have to decide with your guests if you're all going to watch 3D with glasses or if not, then you'll have to all watch 2D. You can't have some folks watching with glasses for 3D while others just watch without glasses... it's glasses for 3D or you have to choose to watch a 2D version.

Thats really the trick isnt it..

For the last 70 years, people have been watching television with no added accessories required.. The glasses, even if they are cheap and easy adds a layer of inaccessibility to the whole thing. But, who knows what the future holds.

It WILL, as you stated above, Cause some interesting decisions to be made.. How do you have a 3D superbowl party with just 4 pairs of glasses?
post #274 of 1447 Old 01-06-2010, 10:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBluePill View Post

Thats really the trick isnt it..

For the last 70 years, people have been watching television with no added accessories required.. The glasses, even if they are cheap and easy adds a layer of inaccessibility to the whole thing. But, who knows what the future holds.

It WILL, as you stated above, Cause some interesting decisions to be made.. How do you have a 3D superbowl party with just 4 pairs of glasses?

Have you ready my past posts?

I actually used this example several times. If you plan to have a superbowl party with lots of guests... you'd better plan to buy a 3D display that uses polarized light so you can buy 10 pairs of $5.00 glasses for everyone. If your 3D set uses $100 LCD shutter glasses, that's not going to work when your guest-cound exceeds your investment in eyewear.

We can all dream of the day we won't need eyewear for 3D, but that's not going to happen in 2010 with our 2-channel Left/Right source material...

post #275 of 1447 Old 01-06-2010, 10:07 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I actually used this example several times. If you plan to have a superbowl party with lots of guests... you'd better plan to buy a 3D display that uses polarized light so you can buy 10 pairs of $5.00 glasses for everyone. If your 3D set uses $100 LCD shutter glasses, that's not going to work when your guest-cound exceeds your investment in eyewear.

We can all dream of the day we won't need eyewear for 3D, but that's not going to happen in 2010 with our 2-channel Left/Right source material...

Screw my guests......just give me the best 3D possible.

My guests can go buy their own 3D TVs.....cheap bastards......LOL
post #276 of 1447 Old 01-06-2010, 10:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

a blurry mess because you have both the left/right images overlayed on each other like a double-exposure. Have you ever been to a 3D movie that uses polarized or LCD glasses? Just take them off for a few seconds and you'll see.

Thanks. I guess it is like anaglyth 3D without the red/green glasses. I have seen that so now I understand.

fafner
post #277 of 1447 Old 01-06-2010, 10:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fafner View Post

Thanks. I guess it is like anaglyth 3D without the red/green glasses. I have seen that so now I understand.

fafner

Exactly.

The anaglyth method overlayed the two images into a single video channel by making one image red and one image blue (relying on the red/blue color filters in the glasses to show each eye only its own image).

With real HD3D both full-quality/full-color 1080p images are actually discrete and it's up to the display technology to figure out how best to show them to you... but with the technologies we're describing that need glasses, taking off the glasses shows them both at the same time so you'd see the double-image like you do when you see the red/blue images taking off your glasses with anaglyth 3D.

post #278 of 1447 Old 01-06-2010, 10:19 AM

I've read many posts about the high cost of the glasses. Maybe Vizio will get into that business as well. If they could sell this tv for $3500 then why couldn't they make the glasses for a great price? Hopefully we'll see some cheaper glasses at the CES especially with the huge growth in home 3d starting this year.
post #279 of 1447 Old 01-06-2010, 10:23 AM
AVS Special Member

part of the catch with active LCD shutter glasses is that they need blue-tooth (or something similar) to sync with the TV and some sophisticated LCD panels to dim on/off. My guess is that the wireless communication is the most costly part of the gear, and hopefully with time we'll see such glasses drop down to $50 or even $25 once mass production really makes them a commodity rather than a specialty device.

post #280 of 1447 Old 01-06-2010, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marriotthill View Post

I've read many posts about the high cost of the glasses. Maybe Vizio will get into that business as well. If they could sell this tv for $3500 then why couldn't they make the glasses for a great price? Hopefully we'll see some cheaper glasses at the CES especially with the huge growth in home 3d starting this year.

May be Vizio will include 5 pairs with each TV.

JHT
post #281 of 1447 Old 01-06-2010, 10:32 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by J y E 4Ever View Post

Screw my guests......just give me the best 3D possible.

My guests can go buy their own 3D TVs.....cheap bastards......LOL

Would the $100/pr 3D glasses conform to an industry standard and be able to be used on other brands of 3D TV? At the movies? I can see a day where everybody just brings their own pair of glasses.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- 100% Instrumental Surf Music. Commercial Free.
post #282 of 1447 Old 01-06-2010, 10:41 AM
Advanced Member

Watch out movie theaters....everyone will be taking home their 3D glasses now!

But I guess it won't work because they need to "communicate" with the TV.
post #283 of 1447 Old 01-06-2010, 11:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandu View Post

Would the $100/pr 3D glasses conform to an industry standard and be able to be used on other brands of 3D TV? At the movies? I can see a day where everybody just brings their own pair of glasses.

That is an *excellent* question, and I hope we hear some confirmation in that directly at CES. Can you imagine... you invest in 10 pairs of LCD glasses and then you upgrade to a new 3D TV and they no longer work. !?!

post #284 of 1447 Old 01-06-2010, 11:17 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

That is an *excellent* question, and I hope we hear some confirmation in that directly at CES. Can you imagine... you invest in 10 pairs of LCD glasses and then you upgrade to a new 3D TV and they no longer work. !?!

For my Avatar screening with the Real3D system, they allowed us to keep our glasses.

Samsung has announced they are going with Real3D.

I'm just using it now as sun glasses.
post #285 of 1447 Old 01-06-2010, 11:20 AM

Quote:

Watch out movie theaters....everyone will be taking home their 3D glasses now!

But I guess it won't work because they need to "communicate" with the TV.

With RealD, the Theater Pays an average of $1 per pair, after they send them in to be recycled.

The Cost for Active Shutters is a LOT higher, but they reuse them at the theater and you have to clean them. Many theaters have "anti-theft" devices in their Active Glasses to prevent theft.
post #286 of 1447 Old 01-06-2010, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goatse View Post

From the horses mouth

FULL HD3D

"Utilizing SENSIO® 3D technology to deliver 3D content over conventional 2D infrastructure, the new VIZIO XVT Pro Full HD3D TVs display stunning 3D content that the user can view with XpanD active-shutter glasses (sold separately). Unlike other 3D TVs that use passive stereoscopic imaging, VIZIO's Full HD3D TVs can display full 1080p video to each eye by rapidly alternating between the left-eye and right-eye images within the same visual space. The special active-shutter glasses, which communicate with the television over Bluetooth, then transform each lens from opaque to transparent in perfect synchronization with the images displayed on the TV, which allows for delivery of the full frame rate capable by the television for the ultimate 3D HDTV viewing experience."

this seriously made my ****ing day (sorry for the 'f' word).

wow.

simply wow.

i'm getting this TV.

8 months can't come sooner (actually, it's vizio, so let's say 11 months to be safe lol).

sooooo who else has started to save money for this TV? lol

i'm extremely excited.

again, SEVENTY-TWO inches of FULL 3D 1080P LED.

yes, 72"

that's huge.

like THIS HUGE.

i can already see the expression on my family/friends' faces when they see this TV for the first time. i'm not going to say a word to them. it'll be a fun-priceless surprise.
post #287 of 1447 Old 01-06-2010, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyeo138 View Post

You know it was for me too, until I saw Avatar. Up, Coraline and some other animated 3D movies were ok, but Avatar just blew me away. After seeing that, and the fact that ESPN & Discovery channel are launching 3D channels in 2011, I'm on board.

I don't think it will meet the tentative August 2010 release date. I've been waiting forever for the XVT552 to come out, and finally throwing in the towel for a 60" Sharp. It's at super low price right now (lower than 552) and will hold me over for at least a few years while all this new stuff comes out. Then I can have a 60" in my bathroom too! lol

well said (on all points) avatar IMAX 3D was simply breathtaking. it made me take 3D serious and i'm so there into the future.

welcome to the next generation, folks.

i'm already loving this new decade
post #288 of 1447 Old 01-06-2010, 11:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:

agreed.

but keep in mind that since the 3D thing is new to most of us since it's just been finalized by the BDA, there's an education curve for everyone to get the info to even know how it relates to a product they're interested in owning. I think lots of folks who care about this TV and 3D are better off for the detail in this thread, bcs now they know what they need to look out for.

Sort of like when BD players first came out and folks were just learning about advanced audio codecs and whether or not their player could stream or decode TrueHD or DTS-HD MA or whether their player was BD live capable. It was easy in BD-hardware threads to have side conversations about these issues because many new enthusiasts excited about BD didn't know anything about those issues... and when they ultimately spent their money they were better off from having read those discussions as they could pick/choose according to the features that really mattered to them.

I have a slightly off-topic question for you. Are you the same person who made a huge deal out of jitter with CD players (several years ago)?
post #289 of 1447 Old 01-06-2010, 11:43 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cris619 View Post

well said (on all points) avatar IMAX 3D was simply breathtaking. it made me take 3D serious and i'm so there into the future.

welcome to the next generation, folks.

i'm already loving this new decade

Same here....I was skeptical but no longer.

Even the trailers before Avatar looked great in 3D.

That being said, I firmly believe that for it to be enjoyed at home a large screen is a MUST!

Nothing below 60" and maybe even 65".

3D will obviously work below that but I don't think it will be as impressive as we know it can be hence the larger than "normal" screen sizes being announced by Vizio and Mits.

Ontop of all the new movies being made in 3D (Avatar, Spidey 4, I'm sure Captain America, Thor and Avengers will now be 3D), I'm also excited at revisiting the classics like Raiders of the Lost Ark, Die Hard and the list goes on and on and on in 3D!!!!

I have seen my favorite movies dozens if not hundreds of times but I'm thrilled to now revisit them in a whole new way!

It will be like watching Raiders of the Lost Ark all over again for the first time, just stop and think about that for a second!

I'm sure it will take awhile before all our classics are released in 3D format but eventually they will!

Avatar just cemented the fact that many new movies will now be reconsidered for the 3D format, hence the Spidey 4 delay/battle taking place now.

But i'm also being realistic as well, I know that I won't be watching everything in freaking 3D so I like the option that it can be used or not used depending what your watching.

For my quick weather broadcast or traffic report or quick news story or some silly quick cooking show......2D at 1080p will be good enough.

For my movies, HELL YEAH in 3D!!

Maybe not every love movie......but I never go to those anyways!! LOL!!

Bring it, i'm ready.

I don't care if it's from Sony, Panasonic, Vizio, Samsung or my Grandmother.....as long as it looks good, it's kept under $5,000 and it's big......just freaking bring it on!

We can argue until we're all blue (ray) in the face about HDMI 1.3 vs 1.4, about Shutter this and Polarized that and firmware upgrade this and Vizio vs Sony that....

JUST
FREAKING
BRING IT!

72" and BIGGER PLEASE..YEAH BABY!!!!

post #290 of 1447 Old 01-06-2010, 11:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

For my Avatar screening with the Real3D system, they allowed us to keep our glasses.

Yeah, that's the advantage of polarized lenses... the glasses are literally that cheap that the theater lets you take them.

The problem will be with those who invest in display technology that uses LCD shutter glasses... if (when) they then upgrade to new LCD-shutter-glasses 3D display later, hopefully those electronic glasses will still work!

Hopefully they'll follow a pretty consistent standard so they'll work accross brands and with various TVs etc.

post #291 of 1447 Old 01-06-2010, 11:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 26
Quote:

Didn't you read the warning on the packaging that the Real3D glasses won't work as sun glasses.
post #292 of 1447 Old 01-06-2010, 11:58 AM

Did they post what the Physical Dimensions are on this 72" er? (WxHxD)?
post #293 of 1447 Old 01-06-2010, 12:06 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xb1032 View Post

Didn't you read the warning on the packaging that the Real3D glasses won't work as sun glasses.

LOL

I was hoping I would see the world in 3D.

Wait...I already do.

Then why is a 3D movie much more thrilling than my life......

Crap...now i'm depressed.

Stupid 3D movies.
post #294 of 1447 Old 01-06-2010, 12:07 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBluePill View Post

Did they post what the Physical Dimensions are on this 72" er? (WxHxD)?

yup

B x I x G

post #295 of 1447 Old 01-06-2010, 12:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Yeah, that's the advantage of polarized lenses... the glasses are literally that cheap that the theater lets you take them.

The problem will be with those who invest in display technology that uses LCD shutter glasses... if (when) they then upgrade to new LCD-shutter-glasses 3D display later, hopefully those electronic glasses will still work!

Hopefully they'll follow a pretty consistent standard so they'll work accross brands and with various TVs etc.

Perhaps you missed my question. Are you not the same individual who made a huge deal out of jitter with CD Players, (several years ago)?
post #296 of 1447 Old 01-06-2010, 12:11 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Well, nothing is ever consistent in my life so why should my 3D glasses be any different.

Man, i'm outta control today!

J/K...I hear ya.....we all can hope.

Geez Louise.......3D porn movies are upon us.....yup....end of the world is truly imminent...:P
post #297 of 1447 Old 01-06-2010, 12:26 PM

Quote:

Geez Louise.......3D porn movies are upon us.....yup....end of the world is truly imminent...:P

Never has there been a more powerful reason to withdraw from society and become a welfare shut-in.
post #298 of 1447 Old 01-06-2010, 12:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Quote:

The topics are ALL related, the TV is a 3D TV.

If we were holding a discussion on microwave ovens in this thread then I would agree with having that removed to the microwave oven thread BUT we are all here discussing 3D TV technology in a thread about what?

You guessed it.....a Vizio 3D TV.

Why should that have to be 2 seperate discussions.

It's a 3D TV, we are discussing 3D and TV and Vizio's version of it for their new TV lineup.

What is the crime being commited here again?

Ransom Stoddard Attorney At Law (lol).
post #299 of 1447 Old 01-06-2010, 12:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Quote:

I'm getting 4 pairs and timing each wearer. I figure ten minutes a piece and then start over. There will be a non 3D set there also so no one has to miss anything. "Joe six pack, it's you and your wife's turn, leave the food there."
post #300 of 1447 Old 01-06-2010, 12:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

O T
David, never mind answering the question about jitter. Since you are reluctant to answer the question yourself, I just did a search and found exactly what I was looking for. Jitter with C D indeed, as in O C D.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page