Forum Jump: 

post #361 of 1447 Old 01-07-2010, 09:00 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by fafner View Post

Is anyone good enough at math to figure out what the actual width and height of a 72" (diagonal) set would be?

Thanks.

fafner

With out actual specs, i figure the physical set will around 66-70" Wide (with bezel) and 40-46" high (again with bezel and stand). Depth on the other hand is anyone's guess.. they are not making a big deal of how thick the screen is and i cant find the spec anywhere.. maybe as much as 4 inches?

The Actual Screen Image will be 35x63"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 1447 Old 01-07-2010, 09:02 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBluePill View Post

With out actual specs, i figure the physical set will around 72-74" Wide (with bezel) and 46-50" high (again with bezel and stand). Depth on the other hand is anyone's guess.. they are not making a big deal of how thick the screen is and i cant find the spec anywhere.. maybe as much as 4 inches?

It was listed as under 3" depth
post #363 of 1447 Old 01-07-2010, 09:04 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fafner View Post

Is anyone good enough at math to figure out what the actual width and height of a 72" (diagonal) set would be?

Thanks.

fafner

My 65" plasma is 64" long (horizontally) and 38" tall (vertically), take it from there and now guess....:P

BluePill sounds like he's pretty close.

post #364 of 1447 Old 01-07-2010, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J y E 4Ever View Post

It was listed as under 3" depth

Ah, ok, thats not so bad.

I revised my estimate a bit.. gave a bit too much to the bezel..
post #365 of 1447 Old 01-07-2010, 09:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by E-JTL View Post

From a press-release:
http://www.prnewswire.com/news-relea...-80897862.html

RealD has Sony, JVC, Samsung, Toshiba, Panasonic and DIRECTV partnerships. I just think consumers are going to see these tv's, then start reading about how one has this 3D, that one has THAT 3D and it's going to delay adoption, keep prices high(er)....

The more I think about it, it's not really a Vizio issue, it's an industry issue.....does no one think of the past!?

Or....is this really a NON-issue and I'm blowing it out of proportion?

I don't think this will necessarily be a big issue as long as each system works well. If I bought the Vizio and the glasses for a reasonable price and it worked really well with BD 3D etc. then why will I care if Sony, Toshiba etc. are using different glasses? Maybe, if I buy one of their sets in the future it will mean buying new glasses. If the Vizio's glasses are inexpensive then all the better, as long as every thing works well. If Vizio's glasses are in the $10 range then I can afford to buy enough sets for that Super Bowl party! As long as I can play all the 3D content through the Vizio then I don't really care - if all other things are equal then maybe Vizio wins based on price alone.
post #366 of 1447 Old 01-07-2010, 09:13 AM

Quote:

CRTs have had nearly 100 years of development, quite a head start over FP tech of any kind.

Given another 10 or 20 years of Development, you must agree, that FP tech will surpass CRT in every way possible, if it has not already.

I really think this 72" is THE game changer for the next 5 years.. It will be THE product that pushes the Large Format and 3D price point for everyone.

I think the REAL game changer will be tv's they been bragging about for 20 years that are as thin as paper and can be rolled up like newspapers
post #367 of 1447 Old 01-07-2010, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by benjamin-benjami View Post

if you would have just given me the specs off this tv i would have said it would be a min. price of 7K, but now i will probably buy this tv (this is coming from a guy with a sony 60 inch and a samsung 40 inch in the living room)

reason it is not 7k, no polorazation, inferior lamp life, and fact since they are not using real3d, the other company sensio is basically paying vizio to use theirs, and vizio is passing savings on to the consumer
post #368 of 1447 Old 01-07-2010, 09:22 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhhd89 View Post

reason it is not 7k, no polorazation, inferior lamp life, and fact since they are not using real3d, the other company sensio is basically paying vizio to use theirs, and vizio is passing savings on to the consumer

Could someone explain what polorazation means in the 3D world?

What are the difference between 3D with the need and without the need for glasses.

What are the differences between the widely accepted Real3D standard and Vizio's?

What's the difference between Shutter and non Shutter glasses?

Thank you
post #369 of 1447 Old 01-07-2010, 09:22 AM

Marketing 101, Even if you are a budget company ala VIZIO, making a private showing for a new PRO (or any product really) gives it the perception of being special and limited, which drives the inate desire in most humans to possess something that many do not.
post #370 of 1447 Old 01-07-2010, 09:25 AM

Heres a nice breakdown and simplified article of all the 3D thats out there.

http://gizmodo.com/5084121/giz-explains-3d-technologies
post #371 of 1447 Old 01-07-2010, 09:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaViD Boulet View Post

That is an *excellent* question, and I hope we hear some confirmation in that directly at CES. Can you imagine... you invest in 10 pairs of LCD glasses and then you upgrade to a new 3D TV and they no longer work. !?!

In that case, I can see a great after market for the glasses.
post #372 of 1447 Old 01-07-2010, 09:25 AM

http://www.vizio.com/news/VIZIOLaunc...LCDHDTVsin2010

STILL, Listed as HDMI 1.3, IF these were going to have HDMI 1.4 AND IF VIZIO proof read these things, would they have not caught the error by now ?
post #373 of 1447 Old 01-07-2010, 09:26 AM

Quote:

I think the REAL game changer will be tv's they been bragging about for 20 years that are as thin as paper and can roll up like newspaper

That would be revolutionary for certain.

I consider this set, even with the flaws it may have to be a major milestone, as it is 1/10th the price of the current generation 70" + Sets that dont have 1/2 the features. Another aspect that makes it a game changer is the bundle of features with WHDMI, Shutter Control, 480 Local Dimming, ETC.. Again, at a price-point that is 1/2 what even smaller sets are with some of the features.

Its the "Model T" of 70" + Flats.
post #374 of 1447 Old 01-07-2010, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbug View Post

In that case, I can see a great after market for the glasses.

Being blue tooth, i really hope it will be similar to BT headsets for mobile phones..
post #375 of 1447 Old 01-07-2010, 09:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy sullivan View Post

Perfectly put. I have already learned more about 3D technology here in a few days then I could have ever learned on my own. I'm confident that this back and forth diatribe will provide knowledge that will help many future 3D buyers in choosing the best product for their needs.

I wonder if two AVS members have ever decided to meet and settle their differences with bare knuckles (lol). I'm not fighting nobody from Cleveland or Kaintucky nor any truck drivers, they hit hard.
post #376 of 1447 Old 01-07-2010, 09:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

With out actual specs, i figure the physical set will around 66-70" Wide (with bezel) and 40-46" high (again with bezel and stand). Depth on the other hand is anyone's guess.. they are not making a big deal of how thick the screen is and i cant find the spec anywhere.. maybe as much as 4 inches?

The Actual Screen Image will be 35x63"

Thanks. Now I can better imagine what it will look like....essentially a 3' x 5' image area.

fafner
post #377 of 1447 Old 01-07-2010, 09:43 AM

a true WTF

http://www.vizio.com/news/VIZIOLaunc...ntrolSolutions

you create new wall mounts for tv's great, BUT only up to 65 inches and leave out your new 72 inch tv from using it .......................
post #378 of 1447 Old 01-07-2010, 09:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Same here....I was skeptical but no longer.

Even the trailers before Avatar looked great in 3D.

That being said, I firmly believe that for it to be enjoyed at home a large screen is a MUST!

Nothing below 60" and maybe even 65".

3D will obviously work below that but I don't think it will be as impressive as we know it can be hence the larger than "normal" screen sizes being announced by Vizio and Mits.

Ontop of all the new movies being made in 3D (Avatar, Spidey 4, I'm sure Captain America, Thor and Avengers will now be 3D), I'm also excited at revisiting the classics like Raiders of the Lost Ark, Die Hard and the list goes on and on and on in 3D!!!!

I have seen my favorite movies dozens if not hundreds of times but I'm thrilled to now revisit them in a whole new way!

It will be like watching Raiders of the Lost Ark all over again for the first time, just stop and think about that for a second!

I'm sure it will take awhile before all our classics are released in 3D format but eventually they will!

Avatar just cemented the fact that many new movies will now be reconsidered for the 3D format, hence the Spidey 4 delay/battle taking place now.

But i'm also being realistic as well, I know that I won't be watching everything in freaking 3D so I like the option that it can be used or not used depending what your watching.

For my quick weather broadcast or traffic report or quick news story or some silly quick cooking show......2D at 1080p will be good enough.

For my movies, HELL YEAH in 3D!!

Maybe not every love movie......but I never go to those anyways!! LOL!!

Bring it, i'm ready.

I don't care if it's from Sony, Panasonic, Vizio, Samsung or my Grandmother.....as long as it looks good, it's kept under $5,000 and it's big......just freaking bring it on!

We can argue until we're all blue (ray) in the face about HDMI 1.3 vs 1.4, about Shutter this and Polarized that and firmware upgrade this and Vizio vs Sony that....

JUST
FREAKING
BRING IT!

72" and BIGGER PLEASE..YEAH BABY!!!!

Glad to see the enthusiasm from you and a few others here. I can't wait to get one of these sets with 65 or 70 - 72 inches. Some manufacturers have listed a March release date but I will be patient and get all the info and some reviews before laying the card down.
post #379 of 1447 Old 01-07-2010, 09:59 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

That would be revolutionary for certain.

I consider this set, even with the flaws it may have to be a major milestone, as it is 1/10th the price of the current generation 70" + Sets that dont have 1/2 the features. Another aspect that makes it a game changer is the bundle of features with WHDMI, Shutter Control, 480 Local Dimming, ETC.. Again, at a price-point that is 1/2 what even smaller sets are with some of the features.

Its the "Model T" of 70" + Flats.

Agreed

Best in show for me regardless that the show isn't even over because techincally it is, all the announcements have already been made. Now it's just show and tell.

As far as i'm concerned, Vizio just wacked all the other TV companies in the jaw and knocked their ass out!

I'm also being realistic here, will it be a perfect TV? Hell No, but is anything?

Are the chances high that Panasonic will achieve deeper blacks with their Infinate Black technology and provide a "nicer" (subjective) picture than Vizio....of course.

I'm not claiming that the Vizio will have the nicer image, i'm just screaming with excitement that they announced a freaking 72" 3D LED TV with all those bells and whistles at the price they did!

For me, I firmly believe 3D will require the biggest TV one can afford.

Size truly will matter and it will make a significant difference with the 3D immersion factor.

Vizio....I've never owned you before....I've owned a Hitachi 65" CRT, Samsung 50" and Panasonic 65" Plasmas and Sharp 50" and Sony 52" LCDs (yes, i'm broke and this is my addiction)....but I will own you now.

I really hope they deliver and the HDMI 1.3 issue becomes a non issue and at the end of the day, we all receive one bad ass TV!

Vizio CEO....don't let us down......

****....send me a t-shirt with your company logo on it and I'll proudly wear it for you if you like....just deliver what we crave......Weeeeee

I'm 42 going on 22.....wouldn't want it any other way so says my wife!
post #380 of 1447 Old 01-07-2010, 10:02 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbug View Post

Glad to see the enthusiasm from you and a few others here. I can't wait to get one of these sets with 65 or 70 - 72 inches. Some manufacturers have listed a March release date but I will be patient and get all the info and some reviews before laying the card down.

Join us

Panasonic will be first out the gate with their 65VT10 65" 3D Plasma, I believe April or May!

I'm sure that's going to be one hard to beat TV there.

Infinate Blacks = Infinate Empty Wallet!
post #381 of 1447 Old 01-07-2010, 10:10 AM

Quote:

Join us

Panasonic will be first out the gate with their 65VT10 65" 3D Plasma, I believe April or May!

I'm sure that's going to be one hard to beat TV there.

Infinate Blacks = Infinate Empty Wallet!

and those Panasonics have up to 100,000 hours before reach half brightness, Vizio is only 40,000

in a way is taking us back to the 40's and 50's when you had tv's and only turned them on very little (not because lack of programming) because you were fearful of ending the life of a tube

Vizio brings this back and makes us loose the crt ability to leave on with basically no fear of ruining the picture faster
post #382 of 1447 Old 01-07-2010, 10:21 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

and those Panasonics have up to 100,000 hours before reach half brightness, Vizio is only 40,000

in a way is taking us back to the 40's and 50's when you had tv's and only turned them on very little (not because lack of programming) because you were fearful of ending the life of a tube

Vizio brings this back and makes us loose the crt ability to leave on with basically no fear of ruining the picture faster

I refuse to discuss CRT's any longer....lol

I'm tired of what was and came before and living in the past......no wonder the Japanese consumers are so freaking ahead of us!

All due respect, I will never ever ever want another 400lb CRT, like my 65" Hiatchi was, in my home ever again regardless what it did right (and wrong).

It was great for back then but this is now.

Bring it on Vizio, Sony, Samsung Panasonic etc etc etc!

Bring on the Ultra Thin TV's! Bring on 3D! Bring on Ultra HD! Bring on OLEDs! Bring on Inifinate Blacks! Bring on wireless signals and internet access! Bring it

You name it......Bring it Bring it Bring it!

No more past.....I want the now and the future!

post #383 of 1447 Old 01-07-2010, 10:23 AM

Quote:

You really, Truley hate Vizio with a passion dont ya?
post #384 of 1447 Old 01-07-2010, 10:23 AM

Quote:

I refuse to discuss CRT's any longer....lol

I'm tired of what was and came before and living in the past......no wonder the Japanese consumers are so freaking ahead of us!

All due respect, I will never ever ever want another 400lb CRT, like my Hiatchi was, in my home ever again regardless what it did right (and wrong).

It was great for back then but this is now.

Bring it on Vizio, Sony, Samsung Panasonic etc etc etc!

Bring on the Ultra Thin TV's! Bring on 3D! Bring on Ultra HD! Bring on OLEDs!

You name it......Bring it Bring it Bring it!

No more past.....I want the now and future!

I bring up crt's from the beginning and the ones from last 10 years and the plasma pansonic because of the half brightness issue, that vizio is having us go back 60 years, when making a tv that will last more than 6 years on 18 hours a day.
post #385 of 1447 Old 01-07-2010, 10:24 AM

Quote:

You really, Truley hate Vizio with a passion dont ya?

nope, just point out they are saving $$$ by giving us poor lamp life
post #386 of 1447 Old 01-07-2010, 10:29 AM

I think if this set launches with 'older' and very first-gen 3D tech (HDMI 1.3, no polarization, etc...) it's still going to sell phenomenally well. Honestly when I first saw this announcement I didn't even look at any of the stats past 72"!

Seriously, 72" for under $3500? If it looks as good as the current VXT551 out now, it's going to sell like mad. Someone mentioned what BS it is that 'experts' always say there's no market for screens larger than 65". It's not that people don't want screens that large, they don't want to spend much over $3000-4000 for screens that large. 72" (regardless of 3D or not) at $3500 is the best deal out there.

That said I just picked up a Sharp 60" today on sale, can't wait anymore and it was on sale. The fact that this is coming out at that price point is going to have a huge impact on this industry. One mainstream america will benefit from.

Can you imagine in 5 years from now? I see 100" LCD's with 1920hz refresh being the norm for under $4000.
post #387 of 1447 Old 01-07-2010, 10:31 AM
AVS Special Member

My original plan was to get a Panasonic. If they come out first that is what I'll probably do. I just donated a nice 27 inch Sony CRT to Goodwill Industries and man that thing was a little beast to carry to the car. A co-worker just got a 40" LCD and moved a big floor model down to the basement. I don't want to see those things again as far as having to move them around. We've just made it easier for thieves also haven't we? The smaller models can be carried under one arm now. I'm not surprised that Panasonic will be amongst the CEM to release first quarter. They've been raring to go since last year and did indeed say that "we could release these 3D sets now if we wanted to."
post #388 of 1447 Old 01-07-2010, 10:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 38
Hey Guys,

I'm betting that the HDMI 1.3 thing is either a misprint, Or that during the first production run, we'll see a running change that swaps that out for HDMI 1.4 chipsets.

I say this because also from VIZIO's site is this stuff about HDMI 1.4, so obviously they're all about HDMI 1.4:

http://www.vizio.com/news/VIZIOLaunc...ntrolSolutions

Quote:

HDMI 1.4 Cables Increase in video bandwidth for 3D TV and the new 4k x 2k ultra-HD resolution requires HDMI cables to be manufactured using heavy copper gauges. This makes the typical HDMI cable inflexible and difficult to install.

VIZIO’s XCH5 Series Ultra-Thin HDMI Cables incorporate RedMere’s EyeWire active cable technology, which allows for a cable design that is thinner, more flexible, and more environmentally friendly, all while meeting the latest in HDMI 1.4 standards.

The result is an ultra high-speed HDMI cable capable of 1080p, 3D, and 4k x 2k resolution, with an ethernet channel and audio return channel, that is flexible, easy to install, and able to fit right in your shirt pocket.

Available in 6 foot, 8 foot and 12-foot lengths with standard HDMI connectors (A to A), XCH5 cables will also be available with HDMI A to C connectors for HD/Prosumer cameras, in 6 and 12 foot lengths. Future products will have HDMI A to D connectors for use with mobile devices.

The XCH3 Series Ultra High-Speed Flat HDMI Cables deliver premium A/V performance, ensuring optimum picture quality with high-performance HDTVs and 3D HDTVs. Capable of up handling signals of up to 10.2 Gbps, these cables can support resolutions higher than 1080p. Their flat profile makes for great installation flexibility, and the cables come in 6 foot, 8 foot and 12 foot lengths in either black or white.

Also new, with exceptional value pricing, the XCH1 Series provides high quality video and audio for HDTVs, DVD players, game consoles and other A/V components. These round HDMI cables come in 6 foot, 8 foot and 12 foot lengths, in black only.

1080p and lossless audio. EVERY BD should have them both.
post #389 of 1447 Old 01-07-2010, 10:35 AM

Liked: 23
Quote:

I bring up crt's from the beginning and the ones from last 10 years and the plasma pansonic because of the half brightness issue, that vizio is having us go back 60 years, when making a tv that will last more than 6 years on 18 hours a day.

18 hours a day for 6 years? Or 9 hours a day for 12 years? Who watches that much TV???
Anyone who buys this TV probably replaces their TV's every 4 years or less anyway.
It looks like you are just trying to find stuff to not to like about this TV
post #390 of 1447 Old 01-07-2010, 10:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 38
Quote:

Can you imagine in 5 years from now? I see 100" LCD's with 1920hz refresh being the norm for under $4000.

Part of the problem with LCD is that it needs to be backlit and so you have issues with weight and physical limitations of size and mobility... how do you carry a 100" rigid rectangle down your basement stairs?

I think that we'll see flexible direct-view screens start to appear over the next few years... probably something other than LCD since backlighting would complicate a flexible architecture.

But yes, regardless of the technology, the size and image quality will go up and the price will come down.

1080p and lossless audio. EVERY BD should have them both.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page