72"! - VIZIO Launches NEW XVT Pro™ Series - Page 16 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #451 of 1447 Old 01-07-2010, 06:19 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by MCaugusto View Post

Ultimate AV reporting that the m.s.r.p. for the new Sharp 68" is $6.500...
Yep, indeed, Vizio's pricing for its 72" set is an industry-changing milestone as a majority of buyers wil ask themselves when arriving at their local A/V store "why should i spend twice as much for a set that has a screen 4" smaller, no local-dimming (afaik), no 3-D (not that a lot of consumers would really care for it), no wireless HDMI, etc, etc ?
If Vizio can really deliver this beauty for its quoted list price, which i still find hard to believe will happen, then other manufacturers will really/really have to reconsider their pricing strategies when it comes to screens larger than 60" diagonal.

Marcos

Well said....

I'm telling you....this thread has been the most entertaining, hilarious and flat out filled with crazy energy since the announcement broke.

Seriously, all due respect to the other TV companies, especially Panasonic who we all can thank for their dedication to 3D and bringing us fabulous Plasma technology and it looks like their 65"VT25 3D will be a set to die for.....BUT.....

I'm sorry to break the news to those companies....in this economy where we're all struggling yet simultaneously craving to fulfill our passionate home theater hobby....after all, just because one is struggling does it mean that all of a sudden one should STOP LIVING......to the cotrary...we're all staying home more...so bring on the entertainment.....so to all the other companies......we're sorry to tell you that while you're all looking down upon Vizio...we the enthusiast are actually starting to look up to them to provide us with 90% of your quality at 50% of your cost!

Heck, I could even be wrong....this 72 might even turn into a 95/50!

Heck, I could be wrong twice! This TV may turn the tide and actually deliver 100% of the quality at 50% of the cost of those other companies!

Yummy to my tummy!

What say you fellas?

P.S.

and this enthusiasm is coming from someone who's had his 65" Panasonic Plasma for only 10 days.

On wall speakers project tomorrow, psyched!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 1447 Old 01-07-2010, 06:56 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbug View Post

I'm getting 4 pairs and timing each wearer. I figure ten minutes a piece and then start over. There will be a non 3D set there also so no one has to miss anything. "Joe six pack, it's you and your wife's turn, leave the food there."

this is actually a good idea! lol
post #453 of 1447 Old 01-07-2010, 07:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by assJack1 View Post

Dave:

Have you considered that embedded image data, or CC data can carry the identifying field sync information and thus allow a HDMI 1.3 source chip to be used (for 3D)?

Sure, but that's not a specification or a standard... someone would have to design a source device to embed the signal, and then design the display device to recognize and read it. Every other HDMI 1.3 device in the world, except the ones custom-built to act that way, wouldn't have a clue.

That's exactly what the HDMI 1.4 spec is about... it's an *industry wide* protocol so that every device can send and receive and talk the same language with 3D 1080p.

1080p and lossless audio. EVERY BD should have them both.
post #454 of 1447 Old 01-07-2010, 07:28 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by J y E 4Ever View Post

Well said....

I'm telling you....this thread has been the most entertaining, hilarious and flat out filled with crazy energy since the announcement broke.

Seriously, all due respect to the other TV companies, especially Panasonic who we all can thank for their dedication to 3D and bringing us fabulous Plasma technology and it looks like their 65"VT25 3D will be a set to die for.....BUT.....

I'm sorry to break the news to those companies....in this economy where we're all struggling yet simultaneously craving to fulfill our passionate home theater hobby....after all, just because one is struggling does it mean that all of a sudden one should STOP LIVING......to the cotrary...we're all staying home more...so bring on the entertainment.....so to all the other companies......we're sorry to tell you that while you're all looking down upon Vizio...we the enthusiast are actually starting to look up to them to provide us with 90% of your quality at 50% of your cost!

Heck, I could even be wrong....this 72 might even turn into a 95/50!

Heck, I could be wrong twice! This TV may turn the tide and actually deliver 100% of the quality at 50% of the cost of those other companies!

Yummy to my tummy!

What say you fellas?

P.S.

and this enthusiasm is coming from someone who's had his 65" Panasonic Plasma for only 10 days.

On wall speakers project tomorrow, psyched!

What has this world come to, where people consider themselves poor or "struggling" and shopping for 72" HDTVs, whether $3K or 5K. Newsflash if your shopping for a large HDTV, you ain't "struggling" and you ain't "poor". That would be when your struggling to get enough to eat every day. Oh but wait, this is America where an inordinate percentage of people are obese. We live in a country where the "poor" people are fat heh.
post #455 of 1447 Old 01-07-2010, 08:23 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpak2005 View Post

What has this world come to, where people consider themselves poor or "struggling" and shopping for 72" HDTVs, whether $3K or 5K. Newsflash if your shopping for a large HDTV, you ain't "struggling" and you ain't "poor". That would be when your struggling to get enough to eat every day. Oh but wait, this is America where an inordinate percentage of people are obese. We live in a country where the "poor" people are fat heh.

I hear yeah.....valid points no doubt.

But try not to be so confident with your determination to prove that i'm some rich/wealthy person whining about the cost of large screen TVs while homeless people comb the streets for food.

Just because i'm not one of the homeless does it mean that i'm not struggling with keeping up with the increased taxes. health care and cost of living while sustaining my family.

Just because others are unfortunately suffering worse than me does it mean I don't work extremely hard for every penny I make nor does it diminish the dedication I've devoted to my career, one I fight for tooth and nail every day so that I can live a non wealthy, non rich but comfortable life.

I think it over 100 times before I spend one penny of what i've earned and IT IS a very big deal for me to purchase the cheapest TV I can find with the features I enjoy.....features that I've worked very hard to own and enjoy.

My purchase doesn't come because i'm living off the government and others. If I have to sacrifice eating out or not buying a $14 bottle of wine or maybe not buying a new pair of shoes and making due with the Walmart ones I have on my feet or not buying newer clothes or cologne and so on and so forth, it's because i'm sacrificing in one place to help me save up for something else that i'm more passionate about.

For your information, i'm a Paramedic Operations Manager for a city with a population of 200,000 during the day and 75,000 at night and i've been at it for a straight 20 years and there isn't even a pension involved, i'm not a civil servent at the ready, all set to collect and benefit from my fellow taxpayers.

There is no retirement for me. I will work until I die and i'm completely fine with that.

But while i'm out there in the zero degree weather dealing with a flipped over car that you may unfortunately be a passenger in, I know that my hard work and dedication to making sure you get home to your family safe will be payed off by me going home safe and sound myself and enjoying the fruits of my labor.

I'm sorry if you thought that I came off sounding as i'm poor......sir..I could have zero money to my name but as long as I have my wife and my son next to me then I would consider myself to be one very fortunate and lucky person.

But since I do live a comfortable and respectable life due to my conscious effort of getting up every morning and going to a career I so very much love, I think I will continue to enjoy my hobby and make comments about it when I get excited that I can save a few thousand dollars on a TV set.

I'm sorry from the bottom of my heart that billions of others around the world are suffering, I wish that I could snap my magical fingers and make it all go away but I've got very bad news for you, I haven't figured out how to do that yet.

But i'm proud of myself that I go out everyday and help the world as much as I possibly can by practicing medicine to the best of my abilities, one patient at a time, one defibrillation at a time and one hand holding and comfort at a time.

So please forgive me if I came off as a whining "fat american" human being while others are out there suffering in the cold, that wasn't my intention.

Actually, I wasn't even born in America but i'm sure very proud to have earned my American Citizenship and to now live here with my family.

Hopefully I was able to help you in getting to know me and what i'm about just a tad bit so when I'm back here in this thread jumping for joy that I might be able to save a significant amount of money while at the same time being very fortunate to be able to own a 72" TV, you'll understand that i'm not a whining fat spoiled American.

Sir, i'm just a simple guy who will continue to work very hard until that Vizio 72" is sitting here in my living room, and then after that happens I will continue forward with my life working hard until my life is no more.

Have a good evening and be safe.

Joe
post #456 of 1447 Old 01-07-2010, 08:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 27
well if I can get a 72inch to replace my 65 that consumes less power and looks even sleeker on the wall AND at half the price, thats all I care about.

Also, 3k is probably more in reach with a percentage of the population that 5k as hard as that may seem to believe.

but I remember paying 6 grand for my first 42 inch plasma at a time when I probably had no business paying 6 grand.
post #457 of 1447 Old 01-07-2010, 08:27 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
i know i will have this one... oh yes it will be mine..
post #458 of 1447 Old 01-07-2010, 08:28 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzook View Post

well if I can get a 72inch to replace my 65 that consumes less power and looks even sleeker on the wall AND at half the price, thats all I care about.

Also, 3k is probably more in reach with a percentage of the population that 5k as hard as that may seem to believe.

but I remember paying 6 grand for my first 42 inch plasma at a time when I probably had no business paying 6 grand.

Well said....well said indeed.

Same here with that no business part, I've pushed myself one too many times....

Damn hobby.....lol

I love it.

I never knew there were so many variations of bologna....
post #459 of 1447 Old 01-07-2010, 08:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 303
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpak2005 View Post

Yup... And where idiots can speak their mind...
post #460 of 1447 Old 01-07-2010, 08:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by J y E 4Ever View Post

I hear yeah.....valid points no doubt.

But try not to be so confident with your determination to prove that i'm some rich/wealthy person whining about the cost of large screen TVs while homeless people comb the streets for food.

Just because i'm not one of the homeless does it mean that i'm not struggling with keeping up with the increased taxes. health care and cost of living while sustaining my family.

Just because others are unfortunately suffering worse than me does it mean I don't work extremely hard for every penny I make nor does it diminish the dedication I've devoted to my career, one I fight for tooth and nail every day so that I can live a non wealthy, non rich but comfortable life.

I think it over 100 times before I spend one penny of what i've earned and IT IS a very big deal for me to purchase the cheapest TV I can find with the features I enjoy.....features that I've worked very hard to own and enjoy.

My purchase doesn't come because i'm living off the government and others. If I have to sacrifice eating out or not buying a $14 bottle of wine or maybe not buying a new pair of shoes and making due with the Walmart ones I have on my feet or not buying newer clothes or cologne and so on and so forth, it's because i'm sacrificing in one place to help me save up for something else that i'm more passionate about.

For your information, i'm a Paramedic Operations Manager for a city with a population of 200,000 during the day and 75,000 at night and i've been at it for a straight 20 years and there isn't even a pension involved, i'm not a civil servent at the ready, all set to collect and benefit from my fellow taxpayers.

There is no retirement for me. I will work until I die and i'm completely fine with that.

But while i'm out there in the zero degree weather dealing with a flipped over car that you may unfortunately be a passenger in, I know that my hard work and dedication to making sure you get home to your family safe will be payed off by me going home safe and sound myself and enjoying the fruits of my labor.

I'm sorry if you thought that I came off sounding as i'm poor......sir..I could have zero money to my name but as long as I have my wife and my son next to me then I would consider myself to be one very fortunate and lucky person.

But since I do live a comfortable and respectable life due to my conscious effort of getting up every morning and going to a career I so very much love, I think I will continue to enjoy my hobby and make comments about it when I get excited that I can save a few thousand dollars on a TV set.

I'm sorry from the bottom of my heart that billions of others around the world are suffering, I wish that I could snap my magical fingers and make it all go away but I've got very bad news for you, I haven't figured out how to do that yet.

But i'm proud of myself that I go out everyday and help the world as much as I possibly can by practicing medicine to the best of my abilities, one patient at a time, one defibrillation at a time and one hand holding and comfort at a time.

So please forgive me if I came off as a whining "fat american" human being while others are out there suffering in the cold, that wasn't my intention.

Actually, I wasn't even born in America but i'm sure very proud to have earned my American Citizenship and to now live here with my family.

Hopefully I was able to help you in getting to know me and what i'm about just a tad bit so when I'm back here in this thread jumping for joy that I might be able to save a significant amount of money while at the same time being very fortunate to be able to own a 72" TV, you'll understand that i'm not a whining fat spoiled American.

Sir, i'm just a simple guy who will continue to work very hard until that Vizio 72" is sitting here in my living room, and then after that happens I will continue forward with my life working hard until my life is no more.

Have a good evening and be safe.

Joe

I admire your restraint and graciousness in responding to an offensive post. And thank you for your service to your community.

fafner
post #461 of 1447 Old 01-07-2010, 08:41 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fafner View Post

I admire your restraint and graciousness in responding to an offensive post. And thank you for your service to your community.

fafner

Thank you for the very nice comment and feedback....

I wish I could've done it in 3D though....
post #462 of 1447 Old 01-07-2010, 10:11 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Signal to noise people. Contribute useful info - not streams of consciousness. Edit your thoughts and read them back to yourself before you post. Seriously, some of the blather in this thread is appalling.

What the hell are you looking down here for?!
post #463 of 1447 Old 01-07-2010, 10:52 PM

oh the typical Joe's...
post #464 of 1447 Old 01-07-2010, 11:07 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandu View Post

After nearly 8 years as a regular visitor to AVS Forum, I have finally used the 'Ignore Poster' function. The resulting thread is readable, informative, on-topic and much shorter.

Didn't know we had that here. After being annoyed with that guy crapping all over my thread this is a much easier read now. Thanks for the tip.

I dont know if I can swing the extra 1.5k over the 552 but if I can I don't think I'll be too concerned over lamp life. The HDMI issue could be a slight problem as I'd plan to use this with my PS3 for 3D but I figure we have 3/4 a year before have to worry about what exactly is inside.

On the surface this looks fantastic and it will probably sell like hotcakes at 10am at McDonalds.
post #465 of 1447 Old 01-07-2010, 11:10 PM

oh man do I want this 72" set. Now to find a place to put it is the question...
post #466 of 1447 Old 01-08-2010, 01:32 AM

1.4 HDMI ON THE 3D models? Someone is right and someone is wrong!

HDMI 1.4 Cables Increase in video bandwidth for 3D TV and the new 4k x 2k ultra-HD resolution requires HDMI cables to be manufactured using heavy copper gauges. This makes the typical HDMI cable inflexible and difficult to install.

VIZIO’s XCH5 Series Ultra-Thin HDMI Cables incorporate RedMere’s EyeWire active cable technology, which allows for a cable design that is thinner, more flexible, and more environmentally friendly, all while meeting the latest in HDMI 1.4 standards.

The result is an ultra high-speed HDMI cable capable of 1080p, 3D, and 4k x 2k resolution, with an ethernet channel and audio return channel, that is flexible, easy to install, and able to fit right in your shirt pocket.

http://www.vizio.com/news/cat/press/...ntrolSolutions
post #467 of 1447 Old 01-08-2010, 04:22 AM

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 21
I just got my 52in which is the right size for our apartment lr. Were getting our house later this year and 72in will look great in the new house!

Samsung 65HU9000; Denon AVR x4000; Klipsch Reference 5.2 -- Panasonic 55 GT31; Denon 2112ci; Sony 2.1
post #468 of 1447 Old 01-08-2010, 05:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorthodt View Post

This article from engadget on the XpanD glasses is hilarious:

http://www.engadget.com/2010/01/07/x...es-will-bundl/

Uhh...don't the glasses need Bluetooth to, you know, communicate with the television so they can sync the active shutter stereoscopy? Do the engadget folks not know how this technology actually works?

I, too, was confused by that Engadget post. I believe their point was that the same thing could be done with IR instead of bluetooth. They even go so far as to say they can't imagine a scenario where line of sight would be a problem.

Obviously, they don't have kids that run in front of the tv, or maybe a couch that sits at an angle that may occasionally break line of sight if you move just the right (wrong) way.....
post #469 of 1447 Old 01-08-2010, 07:00 AM

http://www.engadget.com/2010/01/08/v...top-to-bottom/

Every new Vizio LCD model for 2010 will be LED.
Amazing what this company is doing.
post #470 of 1447 Old 01-08-2010, 07:02 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Well Vizio IS doing HDMI 1.4 on these other just announced Q4 products so....

"Razor LED sets that are designed to watch mobile TV. The 9-inch VMB090 and 10-inch VMB100 are among the first to use the new ATSC-M/H standard and ship with an HDMI 1.4 input."

http://www.engadget.com/2010/01/08/v...led-tvs-other/

What the hell are you looking down here for?!
post #471 of 1447 Old 01-08-2010, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by schmiggyjk View Post

Didn't know we had that here. After being annoyed with that guy crapping all over my thread this is a much easier read now. Thanks for the tip.

I dont know if I can swing the extra 1.5k over the 552 but if I can I don't think I'll be too concerned over lamp life. The HDMI issue could be a slight problem as I'd plan to use this with my PS3 for 3D but I figure we have 3/4 a year before have to worry about what exactly is inside.

On the surface this looks fantastic and it will probably sell like hotcakes at 10am at McDonalds.

Maybe QVC will have it on "Easy Pay" like the rest of their Vizio Sets.. Just 6 Payments of $583!

Seriously though, $3.5k is a bargain worthy of going the extra mile for a set like that.

NOW.. We just need Vizio to Deliver the goods.
post #472 of 1447 Old 01-08-2010, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingsbr View Post

I just got my 52in which is the right size for our apartment lr. Were getting our house later this year and 72in will look great in the new house!

I hear ya. I have an "Undersized" 42" in the living room now that was Perfect for our apartment, but sooo small in the house. Here at work we have a 60" Pioneer in a conference room we use for power points that i have been drooling over.. It looks huge.. 72 would be even better!
post #473 of 1447 Old 01-08-2010, 08:04 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBluePill View Post

Maybe QVC will have it on "Easy Pay" like the rest of their Vizio Sets.. Just 6 Payments of $583!

Seriously though, $3.5k is a bargain worthy of going the extra mile for a set like that.

NOW.. We just need Vizio to Deliver the goods.

Hey don't laugh. That's not so out of the question. I got a Sharp LC-52E77UN from QVC for just under a grand a couple of months ago. Five easy payments of $200. Once I get that knoced off, I'm good to go on one of these !!
post #474 of 1447 Old 01-08-2010, 08:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked: 747
so has anyone else looked to see what their current tv (used) is selling for on craigslist/ebay... my sony 60 inch xbr2 is selling between 750 - 1500...... my wife has always thought i was crazy, because i said the only thing i don't like about my tv is i wish it was bigger..
post #475 of 1447 Old 01-08-2010, 08:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Here is a bit of history for Vizio enthusiasts:

http://www.inc.com/magazine/20070601/hidi-wang.html

Even have a Mag Innovision monitor in the house today, although not in use. It still works though.

IMO Wang is a marketing wizard and this skill is giving the competition a run for their money.

As a long time Costco member I know that Costco is very fussy about product reliability. If a product starts to drop below the Costco threshold expect it to disappear from the stores.

Wang and Amtran know this and will maintain product quality to retain the Costco and Sams accounts.
Vizios are reliable and have good service. I researched Vizio on the BBB which has an eight point scale with Vizio in the top four which is good. The top 2 ratings are reserved for products that receive no customer complaints at all.

The Toshiba laptops rated at the bottom. So many complaints about an almost total lack of response to requests for service. This was several years ago though, perhaps they have improved.

My 3 year old 52GLF is still going strong and while first acquired I had occasion to call Vizio service. Received a courteous and quick response and resolution.

I certainly would not hesitate to buy a Vizio TV again.

Certified HDTV junkie and AVS addict
U.S. Army FA WWII
post #476 of 1447 Old 01-08-2010, 09:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vipervin View Post

oh man do I want this 72" set. Now to find a place to put it is the question...

Look I am as excited as everyone else about a 72" set for this price. Is there any place in my house to put a 72" TV - no (OK I have a 110-inch screen up which kind of is one reason).

The point being that while this is a very well priced set it will not ever sell millions. It is just not what a lot of people want. Go to BB on a Saturday and hear all the significant others say - no that 50 inch is to big. It has changed over the last few years and a 72" will help change this further.

I think the 72" will lead to much higher sales of 50-55" models and the 72" pushes the prices down across the board for all models.

Finally - for those saying that 3D will fail etc -- this here shows that 3D is just another feature added for a relatively low cost and that is what is going to make it work - at least from a getting it to people's home point-of-view.

Now just like the question has been when will people get HD boxes we shall ask when will people get 3D glasses.
post #477 of 1447 Old 01-08-2010, 09:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I'd been wanting at least 60" maybe 65". Though 72" would fit in our living room - about 20 x 22, with a center-pitched ceiling (which makes a surround system really difficult) - it would probably dominate the room too much. No ugly soundbar. I hope they kept the respectable audio speakers the 551 has.

Don't see HDMI 1.4 mentioned, though.

72". Good golly, Miss Molly!
post #478 of 1447 Old 01-08-2010, 09:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhdiab View Post

Finally - for those saying that 3D will fail etc -- this here shows that 3D is just another feature added for a relatively low cost and that is what is going to make it work - at least from a getting it to people's home point-of-view.

Exactly.

Making it even easier to spread adoption: Just slapping HDMI 1.4 on a 120Hz TV with a port waiting for shutter-eyewear makes any HDTV 3D-ready with virtually no cost increase.

Then when the superbowl is announced in 3D, that consumer suddenly finds some motivation to get into the 3D scene, and springs for the transmitter and glasses.

This is why the industry waited until now to launch 3D... we finally have a technological threshold that makes delivery possible without much added cost... making it easy to proliferate.

Polarized 3D sets will command a premium price as they are more complicated designs, but most LCD shutter-varieties will be priced very close, if not equal to in some cases, their 2D counterparts.

1080p and lossless audio. EVERY BD should have them both.
post #479 of 1447 Old 01-08-2010, 09:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 395 Post(s)
Liked: 269
This T.V. has the potential to really shake up the industry! How are the other manufacturers going to compete? I looking forward to seeing one of these.
post #480 of 1447 Old 01-08-2010, 10:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deja Vu View Post

This T.V. has the potential to really shake up the industry! How are the other manufacturers going to compete? I looking forward to seeing one of these.

Agreed, the 72" Vizio is going to be a total game changer.

The only way some of these manufacture's will be able to compete is by lowering their prices to match or come close to Vizio's price's.

Cheers
Davyo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page