72"! - VIZIO Launches NEW XVT Pro™ Series - Page 19 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #541 of 1447 Old 01-09-2010, 10:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
If the picture quality is only as good as say a B750 or an XBR9 it's still a phenomenal deal...even B650 or a V5100 quality still makes it pretty darn good with the feature set it's coming with. Lets wait until it gets here...relax 72 inches, remember
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #542 of 1447 Old 01-09-2010, 10:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by topr View Post

If the picture quality is only as good as say a B750 or an XBR9 it's still a phenomenal deal...even B650 or a V5100 quality still makes it pretty darn good with the feature set it's coming with. Lets wait until it gets here...relax 72 inches, remember

For me, this set has exactly 3 features that matter. 72 inch size, 480 local dimming zones, 480 Hz motion blur reduction. I would gladly trade all 3D functions for a higher quality panel.

When someone says "relax 72 inches, remember", I can only say that with the panel being that large, picture quality is even more important than it would be with a smaller panel.

I would choose the smaller panel with higher picture quality over the larger panel with a lower quality picture.
post #543 of 1447 Old 01-09-2010, 11:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyboy View Post

For me, this set has exactly 3 features that matter. 72 inch size, 480 local dimming zones, 480 Hz motion blur reduction. I would gladly trade all 3D functions for a higher quality panel.

When someone says "relax 72 inches, remember", I can only say that with the panel being that large, picture quality is even more important than it would be with a smaller panel.

I agree...That's why I'm going with the "wait and see approach". So far we have a press release and one sighting of a prototype. I'll remain cautiously optimistic for now.
post #544 of 1447 Old 01-09-2010, 11:27 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 394
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzook View Post

out of respect for Chris, I think its best to reserve judgement until its shipped. The ultimate fact here is that we cannot expect kuro PQ at beer prices especially since at 72 inches its already blowing away the current price per inch ratio.
that said, I am hoping the PQ doesnt make this into an albatross.

Bottom line is there is a good chance I will buy one of these myself. I need a bigger unit and the price is right. I have to say that the Bezel is huge on this unit. This is not a production unit I saw so I hope at the very least they change the bezel. Around the 3 sides it is about 4" wide and the bottom is about 7" wide. Thats a big bezel. Unit is about 5" thick, stand is enormous.
post #545 of 1447 Old 01-09-2010, 11:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post

Bottom line is there is a good chance I will buy one of these myself. I need a bigger unit and the price is right. I have to say that the Bezel is huge on this unit. This is not a production unit I saw so I hope at the very least they change the bezel. Around the 3 sides it is about 4" wide and the bottom is about 7" wide. Thats a big bezel. Unit is about 5" thick, stand is enormous.

So, we're talking 200+ lbs. here, right? Yikes! No wall mounting of this baby.
post #546 of 1447 Old 01-09-2010, 11:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eweiss View Post

So, we're talking 200+ lbs. here, right? Yikes! No wall mounting of this baby.

Sure you can...the weight won't be a problem, it's finding a buddy that can hold his end up when it's time to set it on the mount. We have a guy that works for us that hangs off mounts all the time, he's our unofficial stress tester...he goes 260
post #547 of 1447 Old 01-09-2010, 11:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Here is a short video of a first look at the 72" Vizio.

First Look at Vizio 72"
post #548 of 1447 Old 01-09-2010, 12:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Vizeo will be a game changer for sure in 2010 if all this holds up...everyone is talking size about the 72" but they also will the only one with the 58" 21x9 set which could be even more interesting & satisfying in viewing movies over size with the extra wide panel.
post #549 of 1447 Old 01-09-2010, 12:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Before Chis from Cleveland had posted about the PQ and the bezel size I had said of the 72" Vizio "I am getting this bitch",, perhaps I should change that to "I am very interested in getting this bitch"

But yea, lets all hope that the production model will be different, which will most likely be the case,,, remember when they showed the Vizio 551/552 at CES last year,, it had an orange/reddish speakerbar and a different bezel.

I still have very high hopes for this panel when it comes to release time and Im still "very interested in getting this bitch" but then again, if it weighs a ton and still has the big wide bezel and the PQ is just OK,, then I will be truly bummed,,,,,, hummm,,, perhaps I should go see whats going on over at the 68" Sharp thread.

CHeers
Davyo
post #550 of 1447 Old 01-09-2010, 12:54 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cleveland plasma View Post

bottom line is there is a good chance i will buy one of these myself. I need a bigger unit and the price is right. I have to say that the bezel is huge on this unit. This is not a production unit i saw so i hope at the very least they change the bezel. Around the 3 sides it is about 4" wide and the bottom is about 7" wide. Thats a big bezel. Unit is about 5" thick, stand is enormous.

understand that picture quality wasn't up to the best but could you be a little more specific. Did you see the set in both 3d and 2d? If so was the set better (worse) in either mode. Also, how about blacks? What was the nature of what they showed? (film. Camera, etc) what info (if any) did they give you as to dates of production, retail distrubitors, etc? Did anyone else there like, (dislike) the tv? If so what were their impressstions?

Sorry, but one final thing did you see anything else at the show (in the same general size) that impressed you???? Thanks in advance... Sorry about all the questions but i think that a lot of folks interested in this size of set would be very vwery interested in your opinion...
post #551 of 1447 Old 01-09-2010, 01:02 PM
AVS Special Member

I watched the video.

72". 1.72 x the screen area of a 55" TV (72 squared/55 squared) and 2.07 x the screen area of a 50" TV.

$3,499.

Who cares if it's 5" deep versus 1" deep?

Sony and Samsung just lost control of their bowels.
post #552 of 1447 Old 01-09-2010, 01:16 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:

Bottom line is there is a good chance I will buy one of these myself.

Coming from Cleveland Plasma, someone in the business, who has had his hands on every model of LCD and Plasma made in the last 10 years, to say he will spend his own money on this set, seems like a positive endorsment to me.
post #553 of 1447 Old 01-09-2010, 01:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandu View Post

Coming from Cleveland Plasma, someone in the business, who has had his hands on every model of LCD and Plasma made in the last 10 years, to say he will spend his own money on this set, seems like a positive endorsment to me.

Agreed, but the again it depends on what Chris intends on using the 72 incher for (the reason he would be buying it).

Another thing is when he says the PQ is "Ok" what is his idea of "ok", we all know Chris is used to having some pretty high end stuff around so when he says it's "ok" does that mean just Ok for the general public and they would have the same opinion, or, is the set Ok for someone that is used to the best of the very best,,,, (hope that all made sense Chris if your reading this).

I talked to Chis the other day on the phone, was spose to perhaps meet him at CES but I been slammed at work, I will call him today and if I cant make CES I will try and take Chris to some toppless bar here in Vegas tonight,, while he's getting a lap dance I can ask him questions about the Vizio

Cheers
Davyo
post #554 of 1447 Old 01-09-2010, 01:54 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Well, black where not very deep. They where not bad but there are many better sets out there at the show. Whites where bright. They were playing 2D content, a demo disk with different material on it. I think overall for the general pulic the set will rock and then roll off the shelfs at the price it is at. From what I saw it looked to be like the Sharp LC-65D64U picture to some degree. Therefor with the price it is selling at an "OK" tv.
post #555 of 1447 Old 01-09-2010, 02:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Well, black where not very deep. They where not bad but there are many better sets out there at the show. Whites where bright. They were playing 2D content, a demo disk with different material on it. I think overall for the general pulic the set will rock and then roll off the shelfs at the price it is at. From what I saw it looked to be like the Sharp LC-65D64U picture to some degree. Therefor with the price it is selling at an "OK" tv.

It didn't sound as though you were all that impressed by the 68" Sharp, either (from your comments in another thread). I know it's just fist impressions, but how would you compare what you saw of the two (3d and price notwithstanding)?

Hal
post #556 of 1447 Old 01-09-2010, 02:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Does anyone know if this set will have a matte screen so that it is better suited for viewing environments with ambient light?

~Josh

hidefpreview
post #557 of 1447 Old 01-09-2010, 03:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

If the blacks don't match the 551, that could be a deal-killer for many here. I.e., if it's just a large 550 on steroids, then it's likely not at the top of the list anymore.
post #558 of 1447 Old 01-09-2010, 03:11 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by davyo View Post

).
I will try and take Chris to some toppless bar here in Vegas tonight,, while he's getting a lap dance I can ask him questions about the Vizio

Cheers
Davyo

Sir, I salute your dedication.

(Locals don't have to pay a cover at Olympic Gardens)
post #559 of 1447 Old 01-09-2010, 05:51 PM
AVS Special Member

This is the first HDTV that has really made me consider replacing my JVC LCoS, depending on how it looks in person of course.

Even without the 3D capability, the specs listed for the TV seem pretty good for the price point.

The HDMI 1.4 is a non-issue for me. I just bought a kick a** Oppo BDP-83 a few months ago and won't be replacing it anytime soon for a model with 1.4 at the other end of the chain.

I've got a side question about 3D for anyone who might know. I often like to watch movies while laying on my couch. Does the 3D technology even work if you're tipped at a 90° angle? If I'm wearing polarized sunglasses I can't see the heads-up display in my Corvette if I tip my head sideways.
post #560 of 1447 Old 01-09-2010, 06:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 74
Quote:

If the blacks don't match the 551, that could be a deal-killer for many here. I.e., if it's just a large 550 on steroids, then it's likely not at the top of the list anymore.

Is this T.V. calibrated? I would think that until someone gets one of these home and has a chance to play with it we're not really going to know what its positives and negatives are going to be. It is going to be a long wait until August. Right now I'm very interested.
post #561 of 1447 Old 01-09-2010, 07:12 PM

All I can say is that the 70" XBR had inferior PQ to many smaller sized displays. Considering that it had a Sony processor and all, I really wonder how well it will perform and the price you pay is something to also think about into the overall product quality.
post #562 of 1447 Old 01-09-2010, 08:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by bk.secret23 View Post

All I can say is that the 70" XBR had inferior PQ to many smaller sized displays. Considering that it had a Sony processor and all, I really wonder how well it will perform and the price you pay is something to also think about into the overall product quality.

seems like someone got off on the wrong exit, you're looking for the sony highway robbery ave exit. You're in vizeo county
post #563 of 1447 Old 01-09-2010, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoey67 View Post

seems like someone got off on the wrong exit, you're looking for the sony highway robbery ave exit. You're in vizeo county

What's that suppose to mean?
post #564 of 1447 Old 01-09-2010, 11:16 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma View Post

It didn't sound as though you were all that impressed by the 68" Sharp, either (from your comments in another thread). I know it's just fist impressions, but how would you compare what you saw of the two (3d and price notwithstanding)?

Well the sharp is better than the vizio from what I have seen here in vegas. But the sharp is not a Kuro either.....
post #565 of 1447 Old 01-09-2010, 11:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by efranzen View Post

I've got a side question about 3D for anyone who might know. I often like to watch movies while laying on my couch. Does the 3D technology even work if you're tipped at a 90° angle? If I'm wearing polarized sunglasses I can't see the heads-up display in my Corvette if I tip my head sideways.

The 3D technology used in these sets doesn't use polarized glasses like in the theater. Instead, "shutter glasses" will be used. LCDs in the lenses of the glasses will flicker between clear and black at the same rate as the TV is flickering the picture back and forth between the left and right images. As long as the left lens is clear while the left image is on the screen, and vice versa, you get glorious 3D. (In theory!)

So, that aspect would work fine if you tipped your head on its side. The picture will still "come through." But I don't think the 3D effect would be convincing since your eyes won't be side by side anymore. You won't have a left eye, you'll have a "top eye". In fact, I think if you tried to interpret filmed 3D this way, there's some chance your brain would explode.
post #566 of 1447 Old 01-10-2010, 12:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Does the 72" have an anti-glare screen? I see the two smaller ones note a new anti-glare technology but they don't mention what type of screen the 72" has. If it's not anti-glare, its a deal killer for sure for me.
post #567 of 1447 Old 01-10-2010, 01:45 AM

Quote:

From what I saw it looked to be like the Sharp LC-65D64U picture to some degree. Therefor with the price it is selling at an "OK" tv.

I checked a lot of the Sharp LC-65D64U reviews and ppl were/are crazy about the PQ. All the big name reviewers gave it good marks as well as the consumers. SO for me it's a deal sealer! ME Happy!
post #568 of 1447 Old 01-10-2010, 07:44 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Well I had the Sharp LC-65D64U for about a year (got it from Chris actually). For bright images it was exceptional. Off angle viewing was poor. But, what really bothered me (and ultimately caused me to sell it) was the weak blacks. I've been through a few panels and technologies in my time and can say that even noobs will eventually be bothered by weak blacks and shrinking screen sizes.

'Best comment on one of my AVS reviews ever, "What did I just try to read!" Latest -'Oh, no, they say he's got to go' or 'The man in the rubber directors suit':
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/44-mov...l#post24741865
post #569 of 1447 Old 01-10-2010, 07:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 303
I upgrade my TV only after the previous one is dead and burried.. Have not had much keeping Tv's alive more then 5 years.

Quote:

I suspect 3-4 years is how long a person should plan to keep a PC and a TV before upgrading. And spending no more than $3,500 - $4,000 max - on the TV would be reasonable, too (in 2010 dollars). I.e., about $90 per month. That may be a bit much, so maybe $2,500 - $3,000 for the TV for the same 3-4 years.

And soon we'll be seeing literally roll-up/down flat TVs.

The technology will just get better and wilder every few years.

post #570 of 1447 Old 01-10-2010, 08:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 303
The Larger the panel the "Worse perceived picture quality" at the same distance.

You can not put a 55" and a 72" side by side (or viewed from the same distanvce) and ever say the 72" looks better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyboy View Post

I would choose the smaller panel with higher picture quality over the larger panel with a lower quality picture.

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page