post #631 of 1447 Old 01-11-2010, 02:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhon View Post

Funny thing I purchased my system a few weeks ago for the Vizio 552 now I want the 72"er maybe I should have waited for the 1.4 receivers, but on the other hand I think they'll make away to scoop up that money from a lot of ppl like us w/ Receiver/HDMI switcher. BC ppl R not trying to upgrade all the Hardware for 3D (push to shove I would) Silly companies will prob leave 1.3 but smart 1's will go dual for ppl that don't want to upgrade.

dude, is that a tweet or a post?

Please do us a favor and write out words when possible... it makes reading much easier!

1080p and lossless audio. EVERY BD should have them both.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #632 of 1447 Old 01-11-2010, 02:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 287 Post(s)
Liked: 202
Can't you just run the HDMI 1.4 directly to the display and use an optical wire for your audio feed to the receiver?
post #633 of 1447 Old 01-11-2010, 02:46 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 10
Yup!
post #634 of 1447 Old 01-11-2010, 02:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy sullivan View Post

Can't you just run the HDMI 1.4 directly to the display and use an optical wire for your audio feed to the receiver?

People using their HDMI 1.3 receivers for lossless audio from their Blu-rays will be a bit put off with this suggestion.

Back off man, I'm a scientist.
post #635 of 1447 Old 01-11-2010, 02:48 PM

Liked: 23
Quote:

But then you wouldn't get the HD audio.

I was too slow...
post #636 of 1447 Old 01-11-2010, 03:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by davyo View Post

What !!!!!!! only a 40,000 hr LED lifespan,,,, if my multi-generation family watch's for 18 hours a day my 72 incher will be dead in how many years ???

Davyo

dude relax its just some hater projector fanboy trying to make led owners feel bad. my ISF calibrator sd LED panels have infinite hours so you might want to ask around or do some further research before writing of LEDs.
post #637 of 1447 Old 01-11-2010, 03:33 PM
AVS Special Member

1) dude relax it was a joke

2) I wouldn't be surprised if HDMI 1.4 bluray players etc came with two HDMI out - one for sound and one for video because they will know that people have nice HDMI 1.3 receivers....
post #638 of 1447 Old 01-11-2010, 04:20 PM
AVS Special Member

When watching this newest video, unfortunately it appears the screen is not matte. There seems to be a fair amount of reflection coming off it. If this is the case, it will not work for me.

~Josh

hidefpreview
post #639 of 1447 Old 01-11-2010, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaViD Boulet View Post

dude, is that a tweet or a post?

Please do us a favor and write out words when possible... it makes reading much easier!

Sorry, I Do a lot of Youtubing I'm used to limited character count. I Hate typing on Facebook and such so I guess I carried it over here. I thought I was doing pretty well. my bad. Well What do you expect from a person that wants to marry a HDTV.
post #640 of 1447 Old 01-11-2010, 07:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by davyo View Post

So other question, if I get the 72 incher do you all think it will fit in my single wide or will I have to move to a double ?

Right now Im doing the math,, of my muti-generational family.

Granny is 92, Im figuring she guna be dead in two more years so that will take 2.2 hours of watch time off the Vizio.

THelma Bug, be putin-near 14 year old, and she be dating this nice young fellow she met on prison pen pals, he gettin out-a slam in 5 months, meaning by next year Thelma Bug and Killer will be livin at the shelter with their young-in, so that will take 6 hours a day of watch time off the Vizio (can Jerry Springers face create burn-in on a LED ?),,, Thelma Bug do like to watch her Jerry shows on the VHS player.

Anyhow, with Granny dead and Thelma Bug moved out that be 8.2 less hours of watch time a day on the 72 incher,,,, I might be Ok.

Cheers
Davyo

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoey67 View Post

dude relax its just some hater projector fanboy trying to make led owners feel bad. my ISF calibrator sd LED panels have infinite hours so you might want to ask around or do some further research before writing of LEDs.

Hey Zoey67,, I was just joking about the LED lifespan as can be seen by my other post above.

Cheers
Davyo
post #641 of 1447 Old 01-12-2010, 09:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Speaking of LED life span. Today on engadget is an article about a nanoacale coating for LED backlit screens based on standard blue LED's. Supposed to greatly improve on color saturation etc. Maybe not effecting actual life span but this shows the leaps and bounds technology is playing in the rapid growth of displays and how little we know about what may be right around the corner.
post #642 of 1447 Old 01-12-2010, 09:11 AM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:

Not if you want to bitstream HD audio sources like TrueHD or DTS-MA.
post #643 of 1447 Old 01-12-2010, 09:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:

What I wonder is for those so eager for larger image, have they considered front projection? You can go as big as you want and for as little as $2K you can get a decent picture.

direct-view is better in some ways though: like being able to leave the lights on and still see your picture!

dave

I have a PJ and a 9 foot screen in my theatre room.

I currently have a 65" Sharp LCD in my livingroom, but 72" would be even better as my seating area is 18+ feet away.

Art
post #644 of 1447 Old 01-12-2010, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkcohen View Post

People using their HDMI 1.3 receivers for lossless audio from their Blu-rays will be a bit put off with this suggestion.

Not so fast..

You will probably be able to pick up a nice new 3D Blu-Ray Player with Wireless HDMI to go to the TV, while the Wired goes to your Legacy receiver. (I cant believe i called HDMI 1.3 "Legacy")
post #645 of 1447 Old 01-12-2010, 10:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBluePill View Post

Not so fast..

You will probably be able to pick up a nice new 3D Blu-Ray Player with Wireless HDMI to go to the TV, while the Wired goes to your Legacy receiver.

No doubt, but my comment was specifically addressing the suggestion that people use an optical connection for sound.

post #646 of 1447 Old 01-12-2010, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkcohen View Post

No doubt, but my comment was specifically addressing the suggestion that people use an optical connection for sound.

Ah, Your right, re read your comment.

At least there will be some options.
post #647 of 1447 Old 01-12-2010, 10:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBluePill View Post

Ah, Your right, re read your comment.

At least there will be some options.

Options are good

post #648 of 1447 Old 01-12-2010, 12:29 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 32
As much as i'm digging this 72, I was also impressed with Samsung's "upconversion" (for lack of a better term) of 2D movies into a psuedo 3D experience.

CNET said that while it didn't provide the 3D immersion factor as something built from the ground up for 3D would provide (like Avatar), they liked what they saw.

I find that kind of exciting, to be able to watch Raiders of the Lost Ark and Die Hard in "psuedo 3D" right out the box.

Obviously Samsung also uses Real3D for the Full On 3D immersion.

But at the end of the day, Vizio's 72 still steals my heart and wallet.

C'mon Vizio, add on the 2D to 3D conversion and finish off with Samsung, Sony and Panasonic once and for all........last nail in their technology coffin!
post #649 of 1447 Old 01-12-2010, 01:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked: 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by J y E 4Ever View Post

As much as i'm digging this 72, I was also impressed with Samsung's "upconversion" (for lack of a better term) of 2D movies into a psuedo 3D experience.

CNET said that while it didn't provide the 3D immersion factor as something built from the ground up for 3D would provide (like Avatar), they liked what they saw.

I find that kind of exciting, to be able to watch Raiders of the Lost Ark and Die Hard in "psuedo 3D" right out the box.

Obviously Samsung also uses Real3D for the Full On 3D immersion.

But at the end of the day, Vizio's 72 still steals my heart and wallet.

C'mon Vizio, add on the 2D to 3D conversion and finish off with Samsung, Sony and Panasonic once and for all........last nail in their technology coffin!

Toshiba (cell) 3D T.V.s also do the 2D to 3D conversion and that's a very nice feature if it works. If Toshiba had a 65" for a good price I might go that route, but I do like the 72" size of the Visio. Waiting another year may be the smart thing to do - there may be 72" or even 80" 3D T.V.s available with all these features with competitive pricing.

Apparently there was a company at CES with a 3D T.V. and no glasses were required; however, they said 18 months before a release.
post #650 of 1447 Old 01-12-2010, 01:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deja Vu View Post

Apparently there was a company at CES with a 3D T.V. and no glasses were required; however, they said 18 months before a release.

I need a link - please - 18 months is good with me - no issues there. Need to know if technology will work for PJ's - then it would actually be perfect putting an affordable 3D PJ without glasses in the 3 year from now category. Fantastic - who needs a 72-inch when you can have 110 inch
post #651 of 1447 Old 01-12-2010, 01:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhdiab View Post

I need a link - please - 18 months is good with me - no issues there. Need to know if technology will work for PJ's - then it would actually be perfect putting an affordable 3D PJ without glasses in the 3 year from now category. Fantastic - who needs a 72-inch when you can have 110 inch

All of those "don't need glasses" TVs right now are using lenticular screens. You know the little "3D" covers on fancy DVD and Blu-ray packages? That change picture when you tilt them? That's what we're talking about... as a TV.

If there was anything 3D right now that could aptly be described as a "gimmick", it's these no-glasses 3D sets that force you to stand in one fixed spot without moving to watch them... any wiggle to the left/right creates horrible shifting artifacts.

Let's move on folks... when glass-free technology gets perfected and looks as good as a 3D picture with glasses does today, we'll have something to post about in forums like AVS.

1080p and lossless audio. EVERY BD should have them both.
post #652 of 1447 Old 01-12-2010, 02:20 PM
AVS Special Member

"Let's move on folk's" Hmmmmmm!
post #653 of 1447 Old 01-12-2010, 02:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:

"Let's move on folk's" Hmmmmmm!

exactly!
post #654 of 1447 Old 01-12-2010, 02:38 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

All of those "don't need glasses" TVs right now are using lenticular screens. You know the little "3D" covers on fancy DVD and Blu-ray packages? That change picture when you tilt them? That's what we're talking about... as a TV.

If there was anything 3D right now that could aptly be described as a "gimmick", it's these no-glasses 3D sets that force you to stand in one fixed spot without moving to watch them... any wiggle to the left/right creates horrible shifting artifacts.

Let's move on folks... when glass-free technology gets perfected and looks as good as a 3D picture with glasses does today, we'll have something to post about in forums like AVS.

Agreed

Give me something really good and now...not 3 years from now.

If wearing 3D glasses at home and switching over from HDMI 1.3 to 1.4 are the biggest hurtles I have to face so that I can enjoy a movie like Avatar or any equivalent high quality 3D movie at home, then bring it on.
post #655 of 1447 Old 01-12-2010, 02:49 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deja Vu View Post

Toshiba (cell) 3D T.V.s also do the 2D to 3D conversion and that's a very nice feature if it works. If Toshiba had a 65" for a good price I might go that route, but I do like the 72" size of the Visio. Waiting another year may be the smart thing to do - there may be 72" or even 80" 3D T.V.s available with all these features with competitive pricing.

It's funny, I love my Toshiba HD-XA2 HD-DVD player for its upconverting Silicon Optix chip but I could never get myself to purchase a Toshiba TV.

Heck, I would buy Vizio before a Toshiba, Magnavox, Dynex, Insignia or Sharp and Vizio probably uses the same internal/external parts as those companies.

Heck, I am buying a Vizio TV....this 72"!
post #656 of 1447 Old 01-12-2010, 03:46 PM

I would say the whole 3D thing is a gimmick and would be surprised if it actually is still here in 3 years once the novelty wears off. They've tried it several times before. I may be biased because the 3D thing doesn't work on me but there are a lot of people that simply cannot see the 3D image correctly or the effect causes headaches.

Quote:

post #657 of 1447 Old 01-12-2010, 04:11 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deric_ View Post

I would say the whole 3D thing is a gimmick and would be surprised if it actually is still here in 3 years once the novelty wears off. They've tried it several times before. I may be biased because the 3D thing doesn't work on me but there are a lot of people that simply cannot see the 3D image correctly or the effect causes headaches.

It's such a gimmick that Avatar is #1 at the box office 4 weeks in a row.

I agree with you, 3D from the 50's. 60's, 70's, 80's, 90's and even today on some of these DVDs with those silly cardboard glasses absolutely do not work at providing the 3D immersion experience.

But we're not talking about that......this 3D being introduced is just as good as what you get in the movie theater today!

Only a blind person or someone with a rare disease will not experience 3D as it was meant to be seen with this technology.

If it fails, it won't be because the 3D didn't work or it was a gimmick.

I believe the opposite is going to happen, it's going to explode into something very popular, hence Avatar's performance.
post #658 of 1447 Old 01-12-2010, 05:08 PM

You seriously can't think that all the money made on Avatar was done because of 3D? Several places are not even showing it in 3D.

Also you do not have to be blind several people have lazy eye or other forms of vision problems in an eye so their brain doesn't stack the image of one eye on top of the other. I agree the number is probably small but there are people out there who will never be able to see 3D no matter how good it is.

In my case if I focus both eyes on something (first picture for example) it looks like the second picture.

Quote:
Originally Posted by J y E 4Ever View Post

It's such a gimmick that Avatar is #1 at the box office 4 weeks in a row.

I agree with you, 3D from the 50's. 60's, 70's, 80's, 90's and even today on some of these DVDs with those silly cardboard glasses absolutely do not work at providing the 3D immersion experience.

But we're not talking about that......this 3D being introduced is just as good as what you get in the movie theater today!

Only a blind person or someone with a rare disease will not experience 3D as it was meant to be seen with this technology.

If it fails, it won't be because the 3D didn't work or it was a gimmick.

I believe the opposite is going to happen, it's going to explode into something very popular, hence Avatar's performance.

post #659 of 1447 Old 01-12-2010, 06:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked: 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhdiab View Post

Won't work for pjs only T.V.s. and from multiple angles!

http://www.avforums.com/forums/repor...t-glasses.html

Or try a search on Youtube for: TCL 3D TV without glasses
post #660 of 1447 Old 01-12-2010, 08:51 PM

Avatar made a 3-D believer out of me. I wear glasses all the time and wore them under the 3-D glasses when I watched the movie on an Imax screen. No headaches, no flicker, just fantastic depth in all the images. I just wished the movie could have been longer! Unless the manufacturers blow it, I'll be an early adopter of the 3-D technology by the end of the year; ideally on a set as large as this 72" Visio. And I'll buy in to the shutter glasses as they seem to be the current way to get into the 3-D imaging. If I've got to switch to something new in a couple of years, that's OK too. I'm sold on 3-D.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page