72"! - VIZIO Launches NEW XVT Pro™ Series - Page 25 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #721 of 1447 Old 01-15-2010, 05:41 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Allow myself to quote.....um, myself.....
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...2#post17870472

Quote:
Originally Posted by E-JTL View Post

Even if you never buy a Vizio product, you should applaud and support them (in spirit, if nothing else) for keeping pressure on other companies to keep prices lower than they would otherwise be.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #722 of 1447 Old 01-15-2010, 06:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHouse View Post

My life can only stand so much quality. I don't want to have to squint, study, stare, read and use instruments to make sure my picture is "better." For the kind of money you guys are lamenting that Sony can't charge us any more, I better shake, jerk and have my eyes roll back in my head.

If you are like me with older eyes size is a big factor in picking out details in the picture. A larger screen will mean more details make into my brain than typical PQ improvements. The 72" Vizio 3D at this price point is exactly what I am looking for to replace my 60" RPTV.

I really hope it happens and isn't just an announcement that never makes it to market.

"Nature Abhors a Vacuum Tube" -  J. R. Pierce
post #723 of 1447 Old 01-15-2010, 06:58 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by davyo View Post

No slamming from me but I do think you guys are very wrong in your opinion of Vizio.
Over the years I have owned more than a few flat panels, mostly Pioneers and Panasonics,,,,, years ago when Vizio first came out I would laugh at their panels and considered them junk, these days I am not longer laughing.
My first Vizio was the 550 LCD and now I currently own the 551 LED/LCD and could not be happier, for the record, the panel I owned before my two Vizio's was the 60" Pioneer Kuro PDP-6020.
If you guys want to continue thinking Vizio is crap and pay Samsung and Sony prices than so be it,, to each his own.

Good post,, could not agree more.

Cheers
Dvyo

I'm planning on getting this 72 incher, but you might want to look up the definition of opinion. It's impossible to have a "wrong" opinion.
post #724 of 1447 Old 01-15-2010, 09:09 AM

Quote:

Allow myself to quote.....um, myself.....
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...2#post17870472

Great repost...in the absolute worst case scenario, this TV is putting pressure on the more reputable brands to bring out something in the same ballpark price wise. Maybe a middle end Sony with like specifications for $4,500? Doesn't seem unrealistic now, not to me at least.

As long as the PQ on the Vizio is good, she'll be in my house this Summer, guaranteed.
post #725 of 1447 Old 01-15-2010, 11:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 38
Guys,

just keep in mind that Sony does make some gorgeous HD-TVs in regards to their image quality... the Sony LCD I bought (the mid-level) *** FAR *** exceeded the PQ of the VIZIO that my friend had previously. Some of that PQ difference was accounted for by the 1.5 years in between the models (I didn't get a 120Hz Sony however), but even side-by-side at the store I can see how even the mid-tier Sony's still outpace the VIZIO models in terms of PQ.

Price isn't just a factor of brand X's 50" model and brand Y's 50" model... picture quality and reputation for repairs also factors in. Let's see how these new VIZIOs perform... if they look as good as the higher priced Sony and Samsung models, then expect to see those other prices fall as competition gets fierce.

1080p and lossless audio. EVERY BD should have them both.
post #726 of 1447 Old 01-15-2010, 11:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaoChe View Post

lol, the only thing they have done is driven quality out of the market. It's amazing how cheap you can produce a set when you throw R&D and quality out the window. Me personally, I actually prefer quality over quantity, but to each his own.

Nothing wrong with quality, but what about competition? I don't follow your logic. Not all consumers can afford the "best". Should they do without then?

Does available cheap food, cars, or any other marketable item cause more expensive "higher quality" versions to not be sold to those who prefer them then? Tastes, and income levels, vary. Some things I'll spend more on, others I just want the lowest price.

Democracy and Capitalism. What a wonderful concept!

Art
post #727 of 1447 Old 01-15-2010, 11:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 199 Post(s)
Liked: 181
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaViD Boulet View Post

Guys,

just keep in mind that Sony does make some gorgeous HD-TVs in regards to their image quality... the Sony LCD I bought (the mid-level) *** FAR *** exceeded the PQ of the VIZIO that my friend had previously. Some of that PQ difference was accounted for by the 1.5 years in between the models (I didn't get a 120Hz Sony however), but even side-by-side at the store I can see how even the mid-tier Sony's still outpace the VIZIO models in terms of PQ.

Price isn't just a factor of brand X's 50" model and brand Y's 50" model... picture quality and reputation for repairs also factors in. Let's see how these new VIZIOs perform... if they look as good as the higher priced Sony and Samsung models, then expect to see those other prices fall as competition gets fierce.

The fact that Vizio is the number one selling LCD indicates that the old Vizio's performance is quite acceptable to a huge buying populace. It's no stretch to conclude that the new Vizio's will enjoy a hearty following also. No one expects them to look as good as higher priced Sony and Samsung, but bang for the buck will be a very big factor. Return on your investment is the measuring stick and it looks like the new Vizio's will deliver. As for reputation for repairs, a one year in home warranty at Vizio's price point will appeal greatly to every potential buyer. At this early point it looks like Vizio is covering all their bases.
post #728 of 1447 Old 01-15-2010, 11:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy sullivan View Post

The fact that Vizio is the number one selling LCD indicates that the old Vizio's performance is quite acceptable to a huge buying populace. It's no stretch to conclude that the new Vizio's will enjoy a hearty following also. No one expects them to look as good as higher priced Sony and Samsung, but bang for the buck will be a very big factor. Return on your investment is the measuring stick and it looks like the new Vizio's will deliver. As for reputation for repairs, a one year in home warranty at Vizio's price point will appeal greatly to every potential buyer. At this early point it looks like Vizio is covering all their bases.

Of course.

But that implies that for some consumers, paying a higher price for a perceived or real appreciated benefit is also part of the game. Hence why Sony can charge higher prices.

My comment was directed toward the notion that Sony will be forced to reduce all of its HDTV prices to VIZIO price-points.

post #729 of 1447 Old 01-15-2010, 11:38 AM

Quote:

Of course.

But that implies that for some consumers, paying a higher price for a perceived or real appreciated benefit is also part of the game. Hence why Sony can charge higher prices.

My comment was directed toward the notion that Sony will be forced to reduce all of its HDTV prices to VIZIO price-points.

I don't think anyone is implying that Sony will reduce its tv prices to match Vizio. I'm certainly not implying that.

I DO think, however, that Sony is certainly keeping an eye out and may instead price a $6000 tv at $5600 (I'm kidding....mostly).

As I said, even if you have no intention of ever buying a Vizio, you should like the fact that they are no doubt going to save you some money on whatever tv you DO purchase.
post #730 of 1447 Old 01-15-2010, 11:44 AM

This is an excellent point! But too bad many people just failed to see this point while they are bashing vizio.

Quote:

As I said, even if you have no intention of ever buying a Vizio, you should like the fact that they are no doubt going to save you some money on whatever tv you DO purchase.

post #731 of 1447 Old 01-15-2010, 01:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:

Of course.

Or, Sony could go the Neiman Marcus route and poo poo the competition, saying "you should buy from us so you don't have to put up with THAT, after all you want all that status, envy, panache and prestige don't you?" and raise their prices. That way their profit margin goes way up and their sales go down, along with overhead.

I know SOME folks would bite.

Joe -----

The harder it is to tell the difference, the less difference it makes.

"I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude." -- Thomas Jefferson, translated from Latin

Also translated as "I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery" 

post #732 of 1447 Old 01-15-2010, 02:27 PM
AVS Special Member

I haven't seen many, if any, people "bash" Vizio in this thread. Sure that have been comments that other sets seem to have better PQ and/or general quality but that in no way is "bashing" Vizio.

If everyone arbitrarily says "Vizio has the best PQ so just shutup," that is doing no service to anyone who wants to hear a wide variety of opinions in order to make the best possible buying decision.

fafner
post #733 of 1447 Old 01-15-2010, 03:39 PM
MKL

Quote:

I believe you mean "Sony will be forced to reduce the cost (read "cheapen") their products just to price match VIZIO"

I don't really think so. Should Ferrari build V6s because Hyundai has upped their quality and is entering the luxury car market?

Sony and Samsung can keep selling those $10k TVs with the best of the best tech. They just need to realize that it won't be even 1% of the market, and they can only sell those TVs to people who either 1) want the prestige, or 2) really cares about PQ and couldn't care less about the cost.

Then they can just build TVs that will match the quality and PQ of Vizio, cos that's what 90% of the people want. They can use technology "trickled down" from the top. If they can maintain a profit doing that while VIZIO can, then they need to figure out what went wrong inside their company.

Quote:

lol, the only thing they have done is driven quality out of the market. It's amazing how cheap you can produce a set when you throw R&D and quality out the window. Me personally, I actually prefer quality over quantity, but to each his own.

Vizio may be assembling TVs from buying cheap components, but still they're keeping up with the tech. That means the component makers are doign the R&D! Don't you think they'll add the R&D cost to the price when they sell the chips to Vizio?
post #734 of 1447 Old 01-15-2010, 03:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I believe you mean "Sony will be forced to reduce the cost (read "cheapen") their products just to price match VIZIO"

No, I meant the opposite, that Sony is not necessarily competing with VIZIO's product or its prices... Sony has low-end models that may compete with VIZIO and it's prices, but their mid and upper tier products are aimed at a very videophile-oriented consumer.

Now, *if* VIZIO is able to deliver top-tier-Sony picture quality, in that case, yes, Sony will be forced to change pricing as consumer gradually see VIZIO as a brand name that's competitive. But for the moment, Sony has products that appeal to a different consumer base/set of consumer interests, so the competition isn't 1:1 direct with VIZIO.

Quote:

Sony and Samsung can keep selling those $10k TVs with the best of the best tech. They just need to realize that it won't be even 1% of the market, and they can only sell those TVs to people who either 1) want the prestige, or 2) really cares about PQ and couldn't care less about the cost.

Then they can just build TVs that will match the quality and PQ of Vizio, cos that's what 90% of the people want. They can use technology "trickled down" from the top. If they can maintain a profit doing that while VIZIO can, then they need to figure out what went wrong inside their company.

Sure, yeah, of course. Why are we drifting off into hypotheses about what type of products Sony shouldn't make or sell. Sure, if 90% of consumers want product X, then let the manufacturers decide which segment they want to target... or who knows, it may make them more money to target the top 10%... who knows. Do you know the profit margin on each VIZIO TV sold? Is it 10%? 20%? 30%? or maybe just 3%? Maybe even 2%? selling 10 sets at 2% profit makes the same cash for the company as selling one set at 20% profit. Without a firm knowledge of the numbers these companies are playing with, we can't even begin to judge what makes financial sense for them.

It sounds like some people are taking it personally that I've suggested Sony's mid and upper tier sets have better PQ than VIZIO... it's ok... this is not an insult. I'm just differentiating why Sony doesn't have to "price match" every size and featured model to with VIZIO's corresponding model. That's all.

BTW, Sony has affordable televisions that do fall into the VIZIO category... I'm sure that sets in that bracket will compete price wise if Sony's sales require it. Me personally, I'm keeping an open mind about how good this 72" set may look. If it looks great, I'll be happy. But if the picture lacks good black level or has a flat contrast (how my older VIZIO looks to my eyes), then I'll wait it out a little longer.

post #735 of 1447 Old 01-15-2010, 04:07 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 32
I firmly believe that my Panasonic Plasma's image is better than any of the Vizio's I have seen at my family or friends homes.

Will I still buy the Vizio 72?

Hell Yeah!

Why?

Because Vizio has set a price to spec ratio that is to die for, that's why.

Performance we will have to wait and see.

But back to those specs starting with the size and 3D!

WOW!

It's going to be a long 8 months
post #736 of 1447 Old 01-15-2010, 04:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Sony and Samsung do not have any sets that compete with Vizio in the 55" and bigger category because of price. They do have some entry level sets in the 42" and smaller catagory, but the bigger sets are where they lure the vidiophile to. In the larger sizes Sony and Samsung do compete head to head in product with Vizio, but you are correct in that they do not compete in price. These three Pro models are aimed directly at the heart of Sony and Samsung. Their goal is to take away existing market share form Sony and Samsung and I think they will succeed and Sony and Samsung are going to be desperate to keep up. These products will restructure the LCD landscape.
post #737 of 1447 Old 01-15-2010, 06:47 PM
Advanced Member

Well I went to see a Vizio VF551XVT at Sams Club alongside a Samsung plasma.
Then I went to Best Buy to look at the Pioneer, Sony and 73" Mit's DLP for size reference. For my application I am no longer interested in the Panny. For the price and PQ the Vizio is the perfect match for what I am looking for in a home theater setup in my great room.

If I did not have to sit 14' away it would be another matter.

We all want the best but every situation is different. The Sony Qualia 70" was one of the best pictures I ever saw a few years ago but it was out of my price range. Now I have something close and at 56 years old, it is close enough for me to have a set like this in my home before I kick the bucket.

I am also upgrading the audio to match the video and my Emotiva UMC-1 is on preorder. Add the Oppo BDP-83 and maybe the Emotiva ERC-1 CD player and I should be all set for a few years. 3D ! Since I cannot see it with my bad eye who cares. I can see 2D real good and I never have to worry about putting glasses over my glasses. JMTCW

Amps
Parasound HCA-2205A
Hafler DH-220
Marantz MA-500

Speakers
GR Research AV-2 Front left & right, Center, Surround left & right (Amp used - Parasound HCA-2205A)
Single GR Research AV-1 Surround rear (Amp used - Marantz MA-500)
Two Fried H single transmission line subs using one 10" driver each (Amp used - Hafler DH-220)

The LFE output will go to a "Y" adapter and then to a stereo attenuator to balance the levels before the input to the Hafler amp.

Processor
Emotiva UMC-1 Audio-Video Processor

Media/Sources
HTPC Win7 EVGA GTX275 video card HDMI Video/Audio
OPPO BDP-83 Blue Ray Player
Emotiva ERC-1 CD Player
Dish Network DVRPal DVR

Video
Vizio XVTPRO720SV 72" LCD LED 3D TV
post #738 of 1447 Old 01-16-2010, 01:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 60
72 incher size and specs look incredibly good. So good that one should not just follow 'size matters' and 'bigger is better' instincts but be prepared for hard critical looks when the display materializes. It is most likely that the 72" glass is not from the tier 1 manufacturer and potentially may have some issues. Viewing angle is most critical but other artefacts are also possible.

irkuck
post #739 of 1447 Old 01-16-2010, 04:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked: 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by irkuck View Post

72 incher size and specs look incredibly good. So good that one should not just follow 'size matters' and 'bigger is better' instincts but be prepared for hard critical looks when the display materializes. It is most likely that the 72" glass is not from the tier 1 manufacturer and potentially may have some issues. Viewing angle is most critical but other artefacts are also possible.

There are but a handful of true glass builders in larger panel sizes many of which that most Americans are not familiar with because they wear so many badges on display at stores.

AUO, CMO are among the largest panel builders on the planet yet most N. American consumers have no familiarity with them but their glass ends up rebadged by Tier One's regularly.

What also counts is the Video Processing that feeds the panel and Vizio has evolved to Quality status in this arena the past year or so IMO and others like Davyo who has owned Pio plasma but has bought the 55" Vizio that he replaced with a 65" Panny but then replaced it again with the new Vizio.

There was a time when I was a huge critic of Vizio as one of the worst panels I've observed was a Vizio plasma that the store manager agreed belonged in the dumpster but that was 3 years ago and Vizio has made great strides and I applaud that they are venturing to make a HT size with state of the art spec's at a price that we paid for a 52" about 3 yrs ago.

Nothing better for us than healthy competition and Vizio is doing that big time. Can it deliver? My bet is Yes even if it proves to not be the Holy Grail - there should be many savoring that 72" at a price point Sony/Samsung charge $20K and up for. If they evolve it much as they've done the current 55" LED it should be a hit IMO.

BRAVO Vizio and Bravo Consumers and if it doesn't become that Tier One PQ then competition and Vizio distribution in N/ America has to put the heat on other Tier Ones.

IMO Bigger is Better especially if it reaches your budget threshold - I already own a 57" and going larger and I never go to view my superior 40" PQ Sony Z for movies and sports because it cannot make up for Immersion the larger panel provides to my experience - love the Sony but Size does matter - a 40" TV simply cannot immerse the viewer IMO and experience.

Samsung 65F8000, 60D8000, 40HU6350, Panasonic 50E60 LCD's
post #740 of 1447 Old 01-16-2010, 08:22 AM
Advanced Member

If you don't buy this TV, please never speak with me ever again, I've chosen not to associate myself with you non Vizio 72" 3D TV owners.
post #741 of 1447 Old 01-16-2010, 08:37 AM

I'm a plasma man myself. (let the flaming begin =) ) I used to laugh at my friends who bought Vizio. No more. Like others here have said you have to appreciate what Vizio is doing. The features announced on this set for the price are awesome. I have seen many Vizios in store an in friends homes,while the PQ is not the best it's certainly not the worst. If i were in the market for an lcd i would definitely consider Vizio. for the price you cant beat it, 6 feet of screen sounds oh so nice. = ]

PSN GEE04
post #742 of 1447 Old 01-16-2010, 09:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Any hints who makes the 72" glass for Vizio?

irkuck
post #743 of 1447 Old 01-16-2010, 09:27 AM
Advanced Member

post #744 of 1447 Old 01-16-2010, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by irkuck View Post

Any hints who makes the 72" glass for Vizio?

I found this link http://www.brighthub.com/electronics...les/46859.aspx

It doesn't say anything about the glass though.

PSN GEE04
post #745 of 1447 Old 01-16-2010, 10:04 AM

I also found this link from summer 2008 http://www.avforums.com/forums/lcd-l...d-brand-3.html

PSN GEE04
post #746 of 1447 Old 01-16-2010, 10:05 AM
AVS Special Member

We could just ask them.
post #747 of 1447 Old 01-16-2010, 01:32 PM

I currently own the 550xvt and it is a great value for the $1700 paid for it.

The 72'' @ $3500 would be an awesome value and with all the improvements over the 550 series, this one is a MUST to have
My current viewing distance is around 14 feet, so the extra size is going to make things much better.

Does anyone know how much the 72'' is going to weigh, my 550 is currently on a bayside stand that can support 165 lbs, so was wondering if the 72'' will go on that?
http://www.baysidefurnishings.com/pr.../xlol54tc.html
post #748 of 1447 Old 01-16-2010, 02:12 PM
Advanced Member

I keep reading about a glass screen for this Vizio?

Don't Plasma's use glass and LCD's use some form of composite plastic for the screen?

Isn't that one of the main reasons Plasma's weigh more?
post #749 of 1447 Old 01-16-2010, 04:01 PM
AVS Special Member

I think the 72" will weigh in at no more than 100lbs. without the stand.
post #750 of 1447 Old 01-16-2010, 04:08 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 14
http://vizioces.com/
this site shows the specs of all the 2010 Vizio sets n PDF format. Very informative.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page