72"! - VIZIO Launches NEW XVT Pro™ Series - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #91 of 1447 Old 01-05-2010, 04:36 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Suzook's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Posts: 5,483
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 27
ok before you a member with 30 posts pronounce this a MASSIVE FAIL lets let this go from a press release to the actual product that has been reviewed first

hdmi 1.4 is primarily for Ethernet capability to which I would dare say 95% of the households wont use the crap widgets they provide.

to me, 3d is going to be always what it has been, a GIMMICK.

As for usb 3.0 vs 2.0, what could you possibly be viewing on the tv that is going to need that much bandwith.

Lastly, find me anyone that can provide a 72 inch led lcd at this price point and I will eat my hat

really, you might want to rethink your MASSIVE FAIL statement just a bit
Suzook is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #92 of 1447 Old 01-05-2010, 04:46 PM
Member
 
dhhd89's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 93
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzook View Post

ok before you a member with 30 posts pronounce this a MASSIVE FAIL lets let this go from a press release to the actual product that has been reviewed first

hdmi 1.4 is primarily for Ethernet capability to which I would dare say 95% of the households wont use the crap widgets they provide.

to me, 3d is going to be always what it has been, a GIMMICK.

As for usb 3.0 vs 2.0, what could you possibly be viewing on the tv that is going to need that much bandwith.

Lastly, find me anyone that can provide a 72 inch led lcd at this price point and I will eat my hat

really, you might want to rethink your MASSIVE FAIL statement just a bit


hdmi themselves have stated with hdmi 1.3 you will not be able to get TRUE FULL 3D

USB 3.0 for 3d stuff on thumb drives - knowing this tv will be so hamstrung no reason to get it because it has no life beyond 1 year, if it had hdmi 1.4 the usb 3.0 and the wide angle helper then it we fwd proof untill 4k a alot more than this low spec unit they are trotting out

i hope they update it before it is actually released


yes the price point is great, BUT when you call it a 3D tv and it honestly cant do FULL 3D you have major problems
dhhd89 is offline  
post #93 of 1447 Old 01-05-2010, 04:48 PM
Senior Member
 
Ralph3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 203
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Regardless of whether it's USB 3.0, hopefully it can read NTFS partitions.
Ralph3 is offline  
post #94 of 1447 Old 01-05-2010, 04:51 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Goatse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Pineapple under the sea
Posts: 3,877
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 12
movies are recorded at 24fps... it does 1080i... so its full HD when interlaced to 1080p. TV is aired at 30fps. NO problems or loss of quality
Goatse is offline  
post #95 of 1447 Old 01-05-2010, 04:53 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Suzook's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Posts: 5,483
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 27
well I am a betting man, and I bet if this comes to pass and its a half way decent panel they will sell a million of them
Suzook is offline  
post #96 of 1447 Old 01-05-2010, 04:59 PM
Member
 
dhhd89's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 93
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzook View Post

well I am a betting man, and I bet if this comes to pass and its a half way decent panel they will sell a million of them

to a million or more stupid people

me if I am going to spend 3500 on a tv and I know that there are new standards (that are backward compatible) with existing ones thetv better have them (so i know i am safe for 3 years or more) I am smart enough to avoid TV's and other tech that is pushing old tech out (that has no forward FULL compatibility) in a new TV or BLU-RAY Players I skip it and all smart people should do the same
dhhd89 is offline  
post #97 of 1447 Old 01-05-2010, 05:03 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Goatse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Pineapple under the sea
Posts: 3,877
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhhd89 View Post

to a million or more stupid people

me if I am going to spend 3500 on a tv and I know that there are new standards (that are backward compatible) with existing ones thetv better have them (so i know i am safe for 3 years or more) I am smart enough to avoid TV's and other tech that is pushing old tech out (that has no forward FULL compatibility) in a new TV or BLU-RAY Players I skip it and all smart people should do the same

lol... you're a douche.
Goatse is offline  
post #98 of 1447 Old 01-05-2010, 05:03 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Suzook's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Posts: 5,483
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 27
well sit on the sidelines and wait, your tv will come along one of these years.

3D will never become mainstream, period. The 55 inch Vizio that came out this year got exceptional reviews and the price point kicked everyone's arse. This tv will likely do the same. Anyways, rather than continue this fodder, you have every right to pass on it and have stated so. So I guess you have nothing left to say in this thread
Suzook is offline  
post #99 of 1447 Old 01-05-2010, 05:08 PM
AVS Special Member
 
sharkcohen's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 6,281
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhhd89 View Post

to a million or more stupid people

me if I am going to spend 3500 on a tv and I know that there are new standards (that are backward compatible) with existing ones thetv better have them (so i know i am safe for 3 years or more) I am smart enough to avoid TV's and other tech that is pushing old tech out (that has no forward FULL compatibility) in a new TV or BLU-RAY Players I skip it and all smart people should do the same

You are repeating yourself.

Back off man, I'm a scientist.
sharkcohen is offline  
post #100 of 1447 Old 01-05-2010, 05:10 PM
Member
 
dhhd89's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 93
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzook View Post

well sit on the sidelines and wait, your tv will come along one of these years.

3D will never become mainstream, period. The 55 inch Vizio that came out this year got exceptional reviews and the price point kicked everyone's arse. This tv will likely do the same. Anyways, rather than continue this fodder, you have every right to pass on it and have stated so. So I guess you have nothing left to say in this thread

you simply do not get facts

These TV'S are considered PRO LEVEL being installed in the higher income house places and regular people who have 3500 or more to spend.

When you produce a PRO TV and it is not current it the specs / standards it makes you look amateur. After all if i had TV A and TV B side by side

one at 3500 and another say at 4500 or so - and the 4500 tv has all the latest specs (hdmi 1.4 and usb 3.0 and wide angle help etc...) intelligent people will choose the one that is only 1 grand more that will be future proof for a longer period than the tv that is lacking the current new standards with its backward compatibility built-in
dhhd89 is offline  
post #101 of 1447 Old 01-05-2010, 05:13 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Suzook's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Posts: 5,483
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 27
I will say it again, you already said your passing so MOVE ON. I have been around the block more than a few times and know the difference. If I wanted future proof, I would never buy. Your argument holds NO water in this type of thread. ESPECIALLY one about a tv that is 8 months away. Hell the paint just dried on the HDMI 1.3 specs and your worried about 1.4 which only gives you Ethernet standards. Let me guess. your still pissed off about the betamax player you bought and this is repressed anger?

seriously.....

as a favor to the mods, I wont respond to him anymore.
Suzook is offline  
post #102 of 1447 Old 01-05-2010, 05:16 PM
Member
 
dhhd89's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 93
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzook View Post

I will say it again, you already said your passing so MOVE ON. I have been around the block more than a few times and know the difference. If I wanted future proof, I would never buy. Your argument holds NO water in this type of thread. ESPECIALLY one about a tv that is 8 months away. Hell the paint just tried on the HDMI 1.3 specs and your worried about 1.4

seriously.....

wrong, you have to know when to buy, you can never be 100% future proof. BUT when a maker knowingly uses old standards in a new product when the new standard is ready to be put in the product (which gives you backward and forward compatibility for 3 years or more) then they should not get anyone's $$$
dhhd89 is offline  
post #103 of 1447 Old 01-05-2010, 05:18 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Suzook's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Posts: 5,483
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 27
I just slit my wrists..............ACK

"wrong, you have to know when to buy, you can never be 100% future proof"
Suzook is offline  
post #104 of 1447 Old 01-05-2010, 05:20 PM
AVS Special Member
 
andy sullivan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: sun city west AZ
Posts: 3,361
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 262 Post(s)
Liked: 188
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzook View Post

well sit on the sidelines and wait, your tv will come along one of these years.

3D will never become mainstream, period. The 55 inch Vizio that came out this year got exceptional reviews and the price point kicked everyone's arse. This tv will likely do the same. Anyways, rather than continue this fodder, you have every right to pass on it and have stated so. So I guess you have nothing left to say in this thread

If you think that 3D will never become mainstream then you have not been reading the press releases from Sony, Panasonic, Vizio, ESPN and others. Companies this size do not spend multi-millions of dollars on something what will no become mainstream. With their studio and network connections they will make sure it goes mainstream.
andy sullivan is offline  
post #105 of 1447 Old 01-05-2010, 05:22 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Goatse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Pineapple under the sea
Posts: 3,877
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Goatse is offline  
post #106 of 1447 Old 01-05-2010, 05:23 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Suzook's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Posts: 5,483
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Andy, 3d has been tried before and failed. Sure the game is different but I am sorry, I dont see this format being long term. For one, too many people get woozy or sick just from wearing the glasses. Second, mainstream to me means just about every household which is gonna take a LONG time. Third, companies change their mind very quick when they dont get mass adoption because it all comes down to dollars.

hey, ive been wrong before and will agree in 10 years if 3D is mainstream, I give you the exclusive rights to call me wrong in any public forum of your choosing.
Suzook is offline  
post #107 of 1447 Old 01-05-2010, 05:24 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Suzook's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Posts: 5,483
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goatse View Post


MJ wants to live in 3d on a 72 inch vizio
Suzook is offline  
post #108 of 1447 Old 01-05-2010, 05:25 PM
AVS Special Member
 
sharkcohen's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 6,281
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goatse View Post



Back off man, I'm a scientist.
sharkcohen is offline  
post #109 of 1447 Old 01-05-2010, 05:36 PM
Member
 
dhhd89's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 93
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzook View Post

I just slit my wrists..............ACK

"wrong, you have to know when to buy, you can never be 100% future proof"

since you lack the insight into what i meant, i will explain again

when you buy something ..... would you rather buy something you know is not forward compatible (does not use the latest standard available) or spend on something that is forward and backward compatible for at least 3 years (on the major technology parts)
dhhd89 is offline  
post #110 of 1447 Old 01-05-2010, 05:37 PM
AVS Special Member
 
sharkcohen's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 6,281
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17

Back off man, I'm a scientist.
sharkcohen is offline  
post #111 of 1447 Old 01-05-2010, 05:42 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Frohlich's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Cincinnati
Posts: 2,035
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked: 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhhd89 View Post

since you lack the insight into what i meant, i will explain again

when you buy something ..... would you rather buy something you know is not forward compatible (does not use the latest standard available) or spend on something that is forward and backward compatible for at least 3 years (on the major technology parts)

DHHD89, you are posting your preferences and what you would base your purchase decision on...which is fine. Those aren't necessarily those of the average consumer. Based on the buzz this has created just today, it appears very appealing on paper to many folks. I know for me at this price point, this seems like a steal based on what I am looking for. This set appears very aggressive from a pricing point for the size and technology you are getting. Most people (outside of AVS world) are not familiar with HDMI 1.4 or that 3d TV'S will soon be coming out. A fully loaded quality 72 inch LCD display from Samsung or LG would likely cost you 5k to 7K (based on today's pricing..which changes rapidly every year) add in the new 3d technology and you would likely be talking 7k to 10K. So at 3.5k this is very attractive to folks looking for large displays which recently have been limited to 55 inches for LCD and 65 inches for Plasma. If you want every available new feature in a 72 inch LCD display I would expect consumers would not want this particular tv and would be willing to be several thousand more dollars. Truth is, there is no other display, as of today, that would be an option for people wanting a large flat panel tv except for the $20,000 sony LCD at 70 inches...YES that is a 16.5K difference!!!!!! So to come in 16.5K cheaper then sony for a tv that is 2 inches larger is helluva deal....no???


My updated (2/2014)HT set-up


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Frohlich is offline  
post #112 of 1447 Old 01-05-2010, 05:46 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Suzook's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Posts: 5,483
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 27
insight.... I will spare you the long list of various tv's, receivers and various other av equipment over the years that give me plenty of insight and leave you with this. This is a forum to DISCUSS av and leading up to the PURCHASE and post. If I waited for every company to come out with something that was going to be compatible moving forward, we would still be in the dark ages and and grunting.

comes to terms with the fact that many consumer items today are built to be disposable to some degree. Do I like having to recycle because of new standards? hell no but I do it because I love cutting edge and there has been and always will be a price. You contend that buying this set is foolish because you have already made an assumption based on a press release...... perhaps it is you who needs to double check your sight.......I mean insight
Suzook is offline  
post #113 of 1447 Old 01-05-2010, 05:48 PM
AVS Special Member
 
sharkcohen's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 6,281
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Considering the proposed retail price, I absolutely would consider this LCD even if it only ships with HDMI 1.3. I don't use USB with my displays (I have a very nice networked media server), so if it only ships with USB 2.0, that doesn't bother me, either.

Back off man, I'm a scientist.
sharkcohen is offline  
post #114 of 1447 Old 01-05-2010, 05:50 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Suzook's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Posts: 5,483
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 27
And for the record, I have a Panasonic 65PF9UK sitting downstairs and a Pioneer FD6020 upstairs, both of which were upgrades of models that had just come out the year prior. So trust me I know about the pains of constant upgrades


If the 85 inch Panasonic pro series (which eeeh gads doesnt even have a tuner) came out of the stratosphere of $25,000 to even close to 3k I would kill people to be the first in line to buy it. dont see that happening anytime soon

so the upgrade cycle continues if you so choose
Suzook is offline  
post #115 of 1447 Old 01-05-2010, 05:52 PM
Member
 
dhhd89's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 93
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frohlich View Post

DHHD89, you are posting your preferences and what you would base your purchase decision on...which is fine. Those aren't necessarily those of the average consumer. Based on the buzz this has created just today, it appears very appealing on paper to many folks. I know for me at this price point, this seems like a steal based on what I am looking for. This set appears very aggressive from a pricing point for the size and technology you are getting. Most people (outside of AVS world) are not familiar with HDMI 1.4 or that 3d TV'S will soon be coming out. A fully loaded quality 72 inch LCD display from Samsung or LG would likely cost you 5k to 7K (based on today's pricing..which changes rapidly every year) add in the new 3d technology and you would likely be talking 7k to 10K. So at 3.5k this is very attractive to folks looking for large displays which recently have been limited to 55 inches for LCD and 65 inches for Plasma. If you want every available new feature in a 72 inch LCD display I would expect consumers would not want this particular tv and would be willing to be several thousand more dollars. Truth is, there is no other display, as of today, that would be an option for people wanting a large flat panel tv except for the $20,000 sony LCD at 70 inches...YES that is a 16.5K difference!!!!!!

By the time this is released other makers will have TV'S with hdmi 1.4 and rest of the new standards and not using old tech...

These are supposed to be cutting edge PRO TV'S - i HATE TO BURST YOUR BUBBLE - but using hdmi 1.3 and not 1.4 and lacking the high def wide angle helper is foolish

because the limited field they are placing this product with, people will ignore it like the plague as they want the latest standards

adding hdmi 1.4 and the wide angle viewing assist for black levels would have added 100 bucks or so to cost - to skimp them out is stupid
dhhd89 is offline  
post #116 of 1447 Old 01-05-2010, 05:55 PM
Advanced Member
 
rgb32's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 928
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Who said 3D feeds would require HDMI v1.4???? Most of the specs for 3D (TV/bluray, ect) have not been set or announced. Once CES starts on Friday we will have more info.

Sony has already said that 3D Blu-ray playback will be available on all PS3 systems via a firmware update. 1080p48 (24x2=48) is within the HDMI 1.3 spec.... calm down DHHD89!! You're being absurd! Vizio may very well decide to change a few things based off of what other mfg'ers plan to do for 3D!
rgb32 is offline  
post #117 of 1447 Old 01-05-2010, 05:55 PM
AVS Special Member
 
bpmurr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Baltimore, MD
Posts: 3,953
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Before anyone gets overly excited about these set lets see what everyone else brings to CES. Keep in mind these sets don't come out until August. By then companies like Samsung and Sony will have their mid year refresh.

55HX950 l SC-1522-K l SP-PK51FS l RW12-D l XB1 l PS4 l RNG200 l P31 LIVE:BPMURR PSN:BPMURR
bpmurr is offline  
post #118 of 1447 Old 01-05-2010, 05:56 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Suzook's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Posts: 5,483
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 27
I officially renounce my avs membership and immediately being airlifted to a remote island with no forwarding address for DHHD89 to find me.

I will be there with my rock tablets and chisel posting on my own version of avs
Suzook is offline  
post #119 of 1447 Old 01-05-2010, 05:56 PM
Member
 
dhhd89's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 93
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzook View Post

insight.... I will spare you the long list of various tv's, receivers and various other av equipment over the years that give me plenty of insight and leave you with this. This is a forum to DISCUSS av and leading up to the PURCHASE and post. If I waited for every company to come out with something that was going to be compatible moving forward, we would still be in the dark ages and and grunting.

comes to terms with the fact that many consumer items today are built to be disposable to some degree. Do I like having to recycle because of new standards? hell no but I do it because I love cutting edge and there has been and always will be a price. You contend that buying this set is foolish because you have already made an assumption based on a press release...... perhaps it is you who needs to double check your sight.......I mean insight

you expose a very sickening thing in consumer electronics (and products in general) every company claims to be for the earth, yet the tv's and etc they make (all price points and even the ones 5 grand and above) use the cheapest junk in them forcing them to upgrade because the stuff falls apart

i have 3 old tv's running in my house all curtis mathes from the 70's still as bright as they were when i bought them new.

Companies should be ashamed selling 3 grand or higher tv's with flimsy materials and dosplays that will be 1/2 brightness or worse in 3 years or so
dhhd89 is offline  
post #120 of 1447 Old 01-05-2010, 05:57 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Suzook's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Posts: 5,483
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhhd89 View Post

you expose a very sickening thing in consumer electronics (and products in general) every company claims to be for the earth, yet the tv's and etc they make (all price points and even the ones 5 grand and above) use the cheapest junk in them forcing them to upgrade because the stuff falls apart

i have 3 old tv's running in my house all curtis mathes from the 70's still as bright as they were when i bought them new.

Companies should be ashamed selling 3 grand or higher tv's with flimsy materials and dosplays that will be 1/2 brightness or worse in 3 years or so

are a nut. officially, official done responding to you.

1984 called, they want you back.
Suzook is offline  
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off