Sony announces 38 new models for 2010 (yes, they're doing 3D too) - Page 3 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #61 of 78 Old 01-07-2010, 04:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I'm kind of disappointed. Looks like another year with my XBR4.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 78 Old 01-07-2010, 06:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by schlick View Post

I'm kind of disappointed. Looks like another year with my XBR4.

IMO there's enough out there that will give you a nice upgrade over your XBR4. Unless of course you are looking for something ground breaking to last you for many years.
post #63 of 78 Old 01-16-2010, 07:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
I hope I'm posting this in the right thread. I went to my local Sony Style today to demo the 3D TV. It was a 52".

They also had a NX800 on display.

NOTE: I do wear eye glasses, but:

Those 3D glasses were the most UNCOMFORTABLE! 3D glasses I've ever worn.

If you have glasses, they squeeze (pinch) the sides of you face so bad.

Although I took off my glasses at one point to try on the 3D ones by itself on my face, it just felt akward. I believe I had to hold up the 3D's to keep it secure on my face because they are so heavy.

Why did they have to use Curved 3D Glasses Ear pieces '.'

http://discover.sonystyle.com/bravia/sony3d/

"Don't f**K with my levels!"
post #64 of 78 Old 01-16-2010, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacobC1983 View Post

anyone know what the difference is between motionflow PRO 240 HZ and motionflow 240HZ

scanning backlight, this was first available in the the XBR8... not 240hz but MotionFlow Pro
post #65 of 78 Old 01-16-2010, 09:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tele-TV View Post

I hope I'm posting this in the right thread. I went to my local Sony Style today to demo the 3D TV (I forget the model #, but it was a 52").

NOTE: I do wear eye glasses, but:

Those 3D glasses were the most UNCOMFORTABLE! 3D glasses I've ever worn.

If you have glasses, they squeeze (pinch) the sides of you face so bad.

Although I took off my glasses at one point to try on the 3D ones by itself on my face, it just felt akward. I believe I had to hold up the 3D's to keep it secure on my face because they are so heavy.

Why did they have to use Curved 3D Glasses Ear pieces '.'

http://discover.sonystyle.com/bravia/sony3d/

How did the 3d look? And how was the pq of Thebes set you saw?
post #66 of 78 Old 01-16-2010, 10:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitetrash66 View Post

How did the 3d look? And how was the pq of Thebes set you saw?

Sorry about that. I thought the 3D looked good. I'm not a sports fan, but the soccer clip was obviously better than the gimmicky Wheel of Fortune clip.

The clips of the 3D gaming (not that the 3D animal scenes, like the polar bear one, etc) peeked my interest the most. Especially 3D Motorstorm Game clip. It felt like you were actually in the game. I like racing games. There was a
3D gaming clip of Wipeout. I can only imagine what it would be like to play a rD racing game (with or without a racing seat set-up, lol), in the Cockpit view.

As for PQ, I will be honest in saying I can't give you a review of the Whites, Greens, etc, as SHAME! on me I did not even think to ask for the remote.
Black Level IMHO was just okay. Nothing like the XBR8. I know it would not make sense to watch 3D programming without the glasses, but the Black Level improved slightly when I put on the glasses.
[I should have not been so twitchy and just took my time after work and enjoyed all the 3D clips...anyways]

WhiteTrash66: Do you have a Sony Style near you.

This was at the Sony Style in Glendale, CA.

post #67 of 78 Old 01-18-2010, 03:44 PM
Advanced Member

Here are some additional comments on the 3D.

http://hdguru.com/ces-2010-news-and-...t-1-sony/1245/

Feeling like the child crying out “But he isn’t wearing anything at all!” in the “Emperor’s New Clothes, we are sad to report all the 3D Sony HDTVs (they say they’re pre-production) at CES (around fifteen to twenty units) were plagued by a number of 3D artifacts, including crosstalk (a ghost image of an object on the screen when viewing 3D content). Thinking that perhaps the problems were limited to all their 3D sets on the show floor, we decided to take Sony up on their invite to visit a Sony Style store where they began 3D demos of its upcoming 2010 HDTV.

The local Sony Style store in Garden City, NY revealed the demo unit there has the same bad 3D image quality as the CES demo. The store salesman announced the demo model as the 52″ version of its upcoming top-of-the-line LX900 series.

Aside from Sony’s management’s questionable judgment to demo a “work in progress” pre-production model, we believe Sony will not release the 2010 3D line until it’s ready and debugged. Sony is scheduled to release all 3D series this Summer, however, based on our observations, that target may be too optimistic.
post #68 of 78 Old 01-18-2010, 06:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 233 Post(s)
Liked: 220
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgb32 View Post

However, it seems that OLED displays continue to show up on more and more portable electronic devices... OLED TV is coming, but not soon enough for me!

I wouldn't hold your breath for HT sizes or mass use of OLED TV's as they've failed to resolve the much shorter lifespan which is less than half that of CCFL at 60K hours and even less than that of many LED that have 100K hours.

They've touted it would be next big thing and at less money but the Engineers cannot resolve life span where consumers expect to last far longer than a cell phone, netbook smallish devices. You can place it on tech that evolves and gets replaced with a short life span but with TV's consumers expected around 8-10 years or longer.

Samsung 65F8000, 60D8000, 40HU6350, Panasonic 50E60 LCD's
post #69 of 78 Old 01-18-2010, 10:14 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by westa6969 View Post

I wouldn't hold your breath for HT sizes or mass use of OLED TV's as they've failed to resolve the much shorter lifespan which is less than half that of CCFL at 60K hours and even less than that of many LED that have 100K hours.

Where did you get these numbers? "Many LEDs" - which?

Quote:

They've touted it would be next big thing and at less money but the Engineers cannot resolve life span where consumers expect to last far longer than a cell phone, netbook smallish devices. You can place it on tech that evolves and gets replaced with a short life span but with TV's consumers expected around 8-10 years or longer.

What you describe is the situation right now but it won't stay that way.

OLED is a relatively new technology and of course has to be made capable and durable for todays (and tomorrows) display demands.

But LCD had (and has) it's share of problems, too: The first LCDs were completely unusable as displays for TV or movie applications ("twisted nematic"-type - much too slow). They were also *monochrome* and the constant evolution for display applications began 1962 - so we have nearly 50 years of development. Even now they are improving the masks because of certain aspects like limited viewing angle (with full picture quality), speed and color fidelity.

Using OLEDs for displays (!) is a much younger application and while it's true that they have a major durability issue I expect it to be resolved in the next few years. This is not a question of "engineers can't resolve life span" but "how long will it take engineers to resolve the life span".

As for the costs - of course they are high right now as we talk about low-volume production runs. This will undoubtedly change when the technology is ready for prime time. Then LCD will die within a few years - just like CRTs died a quick death because the manufacturers shut down the plants for the glass tubes.

bye
Benny
post #70 of 78 Old 01-24-2010, 10:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoodlum View Post

Here are some additional comments on the 3D.

http://hdguru.com/ces-2010-news-and-...t-1-sony/1245/

Feeling like the child crying out But he isn't wearing anything at all! in the Emperor's New Clothes, we are sad to report all the 3D Sony HDTVs (they say they're pre-production) at CES (around fifteen to twenty units) were plagued by a number of 3D artifacts, including crosstalk (a ghost image of an object on the screen when viewing 3D content). Thinking that perhaps the problems were limited to all their 3D sets on the show floor, we decided to take Sony up on their invite to visit a Sony Style store where they began 3D demos of its upcoming 2010 HDTV.

The local Sony Style store in Garden City, NY revealed the demo unit there has the same bad 3D image quality as the CES demo. The store salesman announced the demo model as the 52″ version of its upcoming top-of-the-line LX900 series.

Aside from Sony's management's questionable judgment to demo a work in progress pre-production model, we believe Sony will not release the 2010 3D line until it's ready and debugged. Sony is scheduled to release all 3D series this Summer, however, based on our observations, that target may be too optimistic.

Thanks for the Link.

In the Link (I can't copy and paste), the last paragraph before the header:

"Sony's New HDTV Performance and Tech Features",

The author says he thinks Sony may not release these 3D sets until they are debugged. Do you guys agree? Thanks.

post #71 of 78 Old 01-24-2010, 05:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 69
They can announce 380 new models FWIW. If they don't fix the backlight and clouding problems I wouldn't even consider buying any.
post #72 of 78 Old 01-24-2010, 05:18 PM

I too tried the 3D at the Sony Style here in Vegas, at Caesars Palace.

It was, erm, okay. I watched a demo of Wheel of Fortune and then MotorStorm (PS3 game.) The former seemed like a really stupid gimmick, while the latter was an improvement though not groundbreaking.

I'd pay, er, $200 I suppose, for the 3D feature, but it's not really worth more than that. And that's only because I already own a PlayStation and wouldn't need to buy a new Blu-Ray player.

I have no idea how 3D broadcasting is supposed to work. Are we going to be seeing 3D-specific channels ala HD? The sales people told me that if you don't have enough glasses for everyone that you can "turn it off" and watch it normally, but I was too busy asking questions about the glasses to figure out how transmissions would work.
post #73 of 78 Old 01-24-2010, 08:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelc View Post

I too tried the 3D at the Sony Style here in Vegas, at Caesars Palace.

It was, erm, okay. I watched a demo of Wheel of Fortune and then MotorStorm (PS3 game.) The former seemed like a really stupid gimmick, while the latter was an improvement though not groundbreaking.

I'd pay, er, $200 I suppose, for the 3D feature, but it's not really worth more than that. And that's only because I already own a PlayStation and wouldn't need to buy a new Blu-Ray player.

I have no idea how 3D broadcasting is supposed to work. Are we going to be seeing 3D-specific channels ala HD? The sales people told me that if you don't have enough glasses for everyone that you can "turn it off" and watch it normally, but I was too busy asking questions about the glasses to figure out how transmissions would work.

MichaelC, How did the glasses feel on your face?

post #74 of 78 Old 01-24-2010, 09:21 PM

What is the dynamic contrast ratio for these NX series of LED tv's?
Are they at least as much as the Samsung 55 inch models at 5,000,000:1 ?
post #75 of 78 Old 01-24-2010, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DinoMite2010 View Post

What is the dynamic contrast ratio for these NX series of LED tv's?
Are they at least as much as the Samsung 55 inch models at 5,000,000:1 ?

Please read this informative site about contrast ratio's, because you shouldn't compare or use those CR in the first place.

http://www.practical-home-theater-gu...ast-ratio.html
post #76 of 78 Old 01-27-2010, 04:59 AM
Advanced Member

Here's the press release for Sony Asia models and when they plan to release them, along with the specifications for each model.
post #77 of 78 Old 02-08-2010, 10:43 AM

I personally think Sony diluted their "flagship" LX900 because if they hadn't there would too much sticker shock from their customers. Think about it, the XBR8 probably didn't really sell all that well compared to say even the XBR9 because it was just to expensive for most people.

The LX900 comes with integrated 3D and two pairs of glasses. Had they also added tri-luminous local LED backligting to that the retail price probably would have been outrageous. Of course their flagship TV for 2010 had to include built-in 3D because every other manufacturer on the planet is bring out a 3D set in 2010. It's features and gadgets over PQ.

The HX900 offers some local dimming but probably not the same tri-luminous LED backlighting as the XBR8. It also forgoes the 3D glasses and the 3D transmitter. This brings the cost down and allows Sony to add the local dimming back into the mix.

As for why their flagship is diluted, probably because they figure consumers just don't care that much about the high end features and supreme PQ. And if that is their thinking, they are probably right. Most people are probably perfectly happy with whatever is on sale at their local Costco at the time they are ready to buy a new set.

The 2010 Sony lineup is a looser for me. If they had offered the HX900 series in something larger than 52 inches I might be interested.
post #78 of 78 Old 02-08-2010, 11:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 422 Post(s)
Liked: 275
Quote:
Originally Posted by broodwich View Post

the XBR8 probably didn't really sell all that well compared to say even the XBR9 because it was just to expensive for most people.

Its not easy to find the XBR8 if you want to buy it now( $1800,00)
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Sony , Sony 52lcd 1080p 240hz Incl 2xtdgbr100 Glasses Xbr52lx900
Gear in this thread - 1080p by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page