Westinghouse LCD only shows logo after firmware upgrade - LTV-40W1 - AVS Forum

AVS Forum > Display Devices > LCD Flat Panel Displays > Westinghouse LCD only shows logo after firmware upgrade - LTV-40W1

LCD Flat Panel Displays

fmikio's Avatar fmikio
02:07 PM Liked: 10
post #1 of 4
01-08-2010 | Posts: 1
Hi folks,
My friend upgraded the firmware in his Westinghouse LCD combo tv LTV-40W1 and when turned on, it only shows the logo and remains there. Nothing else happens. He followed all the instructions provided in the web-site.

Any ideas ?

Tks !
angryht's Avatar angryht
10:27 PM Liked: 11
post #2 of 4
01-27-2010 | Posts: 1,321
Quote:
Originally Posted by fmikio View Post

Hi folks,
My friend upgraded the firmware in his Westinghouse LCD combo tv LTV-40W1 and when turned on, it only shows the logo and remains there. Nothing else happens. He followed all the instructions provided in the web-site.

Any ideas ?

Tks !

Me too. Did you fix it yet?
sporati's Avatar sporati
09:40 PM Liked: 10
post #3 of 4
03-05-2010 | Posts: 14
Although firmware upgrades are supposed to make the tv better, more compliant blah blah blah, I would read up on some other experiences on this and other sites. From what I've encountered working on pc's, most motherboards have a back up chip in with default settings in case something gets messed up, you'd set a jumper and the default bios would be restored. Westinghouse main boards might have this capability, however I doubt they do as I was never able to get that information from either westinghouse or any technicians that work on TV's.
Trying to find information on who manufactured the parts that went into the television is tough. Parts are bought from different companies, slapped into a box, and the TV name is just glued to the front. So its possible even if your friend had the same tv model that he upgraded firmware to, that same file might not work for your TV. As for Westinghouse's instructions, they are sad and misleading at best. And since you performed the firmware update, you are the cause of the error even if westinghouse supplied you the file (which is what they did to me).
I posted something almost a year ago discussing westinghouse and my dealings with them after experiencing the same issue. Back then I was told that they were reworking their website, they had to manually input serial numbers, and I should check back in a few months, and that it was possible that the links werent working correctly. Lets just say westinghouse lost a customer and gained an antagonist. The only recourse I had heard is spending around 200$ to purchase a new mainboard with the chip already having the firmware loaded. I couldnt even give the tv away to friends. I just replaced it with a tv from a company that at least has customer service, and since you can get new ones for close to the cost it may take to replace the mainboard, you might be better off going that route. Good luck and if you are able to get it working I'd love to know what you did.
sporati's Avatar sporati
09:55 PM Liked: 10
post #4 of 4
03-05-2010 | Posts: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by fmikio View Post

Hi folks,

Any ideas ?

Tks !

The issue is what firmware he upgraded. There were probably 2 different sets of instructions. One to update one type of file. The other I forgot what its called. If you are able to at least get some picture(the logo)out of it, you should be able to access the firmware menu. If this is the case, double check your file. Then make sure you reformat your thumb drive. Some thumb drives will not work, especially those that have their own software installed, i think cruisers are like this, so are scandisk thumb drives. This software conflicts with the hardware involved. If you have one of these drives, go out and buy the cheapest junk drive you can find as long as it will hold the file. Now make sure to format it to FAT, not FAT32 or NTFS, or the TV's wont recognize the format. extract the files to the thumb drive and follow the instructions again. Hopefully you wont have bricked the tv by now.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Subscribe to this Thread