Forum Jump: 

post #811 of 1059 Old 03-18-2010, 07:31 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by knoxvegas98 View Post

One more thing. The BB salesman told my friend that they were using a HDMI 1.3 cable and were going to hook the bluray player up with a 1.4 cable very soon. Could this be making the difference between a pop out effect or not?

Good question. I think it almost certainly matters. For my case when i went in to my Local BB for first time to check Samsung 3D display, the glasses weren't even working and both picture quality and 3D effect weren't really noticeable. the problem was the GLASSES itself. Same thing happens with 3D Panasonic Display.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #812 of 1059 Old 03-18-2010, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by delt31 View Post

My opinion on the 8500 vs 7000

I recently bought the c7000 and the pic is amazing. However people or experts say that the movie mode is how you get the best picture ( from a tech perspective). Let me say how many times I've used movie mode - 0! The point is it's all about personal opinion. I like a tv with pop and the c7000 has so much of it on standard that I'm still floored. Move mode is a waste but I know my standard pq settings are technically off.

My point is that expets say the 8500 is technically the best however the pop of the 7000 is right in line with he 8500 YET you also get the 3d feature which future proofs you going forward. Therefore the 7000 was my choce.

Exactly, perfect post! I share the same exact opinion. It's boils down to your personal opinion that what looks best to your own eyes. I happen to notice that the c7000 has more pop to it than 8500 just slightly perhaps which is a plus in my book, but for others it may be a con or not that attractive to them. 3D is a bonus and future proof, if it does take off nicely, then you know you were correct all along with picking this TV and if 3D fails, then oh well, you still have a very good 2D TV that you will be using more frequent than 3D anyway.
post #813 of 1059 Old 03-18-2010, 08:10 PM

What is the issue with the glasses? I did make sure mine were on when I was at the store. I hit the button on the glasses and the red light came on. Is it a setting on the TV or what?
post #814 of 1059 Old 03-18-2010, 08:47 PM

Quote:

What is the issue with the glasses? I did make sure mine were on when I was at the store. I hit the button on the glasses and the red light came on. Is it a setting on the TV or what?

It is strange, im not sure what is exactly the issue. It is probably something very minor. I remember clearly when i put it on first time, it didn't work. I had salesman take a look at it, I should have looked what he did to make it to work, I didn't pay attention to what he did. It may have to do with a setting on TV after all. I could see the 3D effects after that.

With the Panasonic plasama 3D display, The glasses wasn't even working so they told me that they are going to replace it, following day or two i was in the store and tried the glasses once more and it did work this time.

My best suggestion to you is to give your local BB another visit, even if you have to go there more than twice. The thing is they might have wrong setup or something that may not let you see the 3D display well. They might have it hooked up correctly the following day or so. As you can see some folks including me have seen the image popping out effect and it is exactly the same movie in display. (Just make sure to pay attention toward the scene of the character that puts the shotgun in front of the screen)
post #815 of 1059 Old 03-18-2010, 09:00 PM

Liked: 11
Question for anyone who has seen Avatar or Alice in Wonderland in RealD 3D: Did you really see things popping out??

Please remember RealD, IMAX 3D and Dolby 3D are all different, and Samsung TVs use RealD 3D

http://3dvision-blog.com/what-to-cho...for-3d-movies/
post #816 of 1059 Old 03-18-2010, 09:04 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 17
anyone know where I can get the 3d demos from samsung like the black eyed peas concert? Or the demos on their website which show the effect? want to see some true 3d without the 3d bluray

also is hdmi 4.1 requied to get the true 3d or does hdmi 3.1 work with the 3d bluray player
post #817 of 1059 Old 03-18-2010, 09:29 PM

I have seen many pop out effects in the theater in RealD.
post #818 of 1059 Old 03-18-2010, 09:31 PM

Also, what did you think of Panasonic's 3d compared to Samsung?
post #819 of 1059 Old 03-18-2010, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfp View Post

Keep trying the Samsung website. Generally, you bring up the product you're interested in, click on the Support tab, then find the manuals available for download. I downloaded the C7000 manual the other day after 3 or 4 tries.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjrevollo View Post

found the UN55C8000Xf manual at samsung global download, unfortunately I can't post the url because I don't have enough posts in. Just google the model and it should come up with a samsung link.

Thanks I was able to find the tv's manual this way, now just need to track down the HTC6930W home theater system's manual.
post #820 of 1059 Old 03-19-2010, 03:09 AM

I managed to get to BB last night and check out the c7000 with the glasses and I was very impressed! I noticed a lot of posts since yesterday that mention about the "pop out" factor on the 3d effect. It is exactly like it was for Avatar 3d in IMAX. It was a constant rate of 3d depth, with no moments where you had to dodge your head to avoid something flying at you. That in my opinion would be gimmicky. It was almost like it was on a whole other level of high def quality.

But any how, the TV definitely seems like a winner. If I make the purchase on it soon which is very likely, I'm going to hold of on the 3d specs until they drop the price on them. My local BB said they were going for $200 a pop! That is insane! I'd be making friends watch a blurry world cup while I watch in 3d for that cost, because I would not be buying more than 1 haha.

But my original post on the subject yesterday involved the question of should I buy the c7000 or the b8500. After watching this in 3d (and also watching it in 2d), I'm able to say I'm completely on the side of the c7000 now, for future proofing reasons and the fact the it's picture blew me away in 2d mode as well. I also noticed no loss of picture quality when watching it from an angle, which is something I keep reading about in expert reviews, those people must have eagle eyes.
post #821 of 1059 Old 03-19-2010, 06:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler_pgh View Post

I managed to get to BB last night and check out the c7000 with the glasses and I was very impressed! I noticed a lot of posts since yesterday that mention about the "pop out" factor on the 3d effect. It is exactly like it was for Avatar 3d in IMAX. It was a constant rate of 3d depth, with no moments where you had to dodge your head to avoid something flying at you. That in my opinion would be gimmicky. It was almost like it was on a whole other level of high def quality.

But any how, the TV definitely seems like a winner. If I make the purchase on it soon which is very likely, I'm going to hold of on the 3d specs until they drop the price on them. My local BB said they were going for $200 a pop! That is insane! I'd be making friends watch a blurry world cup while I watch in 3d for that cost, because I would not be buying more than 1 haha.

But my original post on the subject yesterday involved the question of should I buy the c7000 or the b8500. After watching this in 3d (and also watching it in 2d), I'm able to say I'm completely on the side of the c7000 now, for future proofing reasons and the fact the it's picture blew me away in 2d mode as well. I also noticed no loss of picture quality when watching it from an angle, which is something I keep reading about in expert reviews, those people must have eagle eyes.

I was checking the C7000 out last night (2D as it seems no Future Shops in Toronto have the glasses) and I also couldn't see any problems with the viewing angles... It though MAY have been the content, as I'm sure dark scenes and letterboxing would probably reveal some washing out of the blacks... I also didn't see any flashlighting at all on a full black screen, so I am guessing it is luck of the draw with these sets. Eh either way, I think I am gonna pick one up Monday and give it a try as a replacement for this Panny G15.
post #822 of 1059 Old 03-19-2010, 06:21 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Not sure if this helps but I'm getting the battery powered ones for 150 each. They last a long time and you don't need to recharge them constantly. I figure the cheapest they'll go is 70-100 so. Rather spend the extra right now to have them.
post #823 of 1059 Old 03-19-2010, 08:49 AM

Quote:

Also, what did you think of Panasonic's 3d compared to Samsung?

Panasonic's 3d display had a different movie than the one in Samsung. I would have hoped they had same movie to make a direct comparison.

Some may claim Panasonic 3D had more depth to it than Samsung. I wasn't entirely able to notice that, in some scenes it may appear that it has more depth to it, but again it is different movie and im guessing some movies may have smaller to a greater 3D effect than each other.

What i noticed that Samsung does have a greater effect for image to pop out of the screen, not exactly the same with Panasonic. I was able to see that difference but some may argue, it could boils down to the movie. Like for example the Gun scene, You could really visibly see the gun did pop out of the screen! I mean its all the way off the screen and it makes you feel the gun is really right in front of you! I couldn't find similiar to that effect specifically on the Panasonic, I mean Panasonic does have some popping out effect but you might feel Samsung is better or more noticeable to your own eyes.

I do prefer Samsung 3D display better. I also would like to mention, Panasonic did appear little darker in the 3D image but that to be expected from a Plasma. Panasonic glasses look bulky for my taste, Samsung Glasses did look better for me.

But again, I would suggest you see it for yourself and compare the two and see which one is better for your eyes. Personal opinion will be the most important factor i bet.
post #824 of 1059 Old 03-19-2010, 09:08 AM

So when are these coming out?
post #825 of 1059 Old 03-19-2010, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiznatchX View Post

I was checking the C7000 out last night (2D as it seems no Future Shops in Toronto have the glasses) and I also couldn't see any problems with the viewing angles... It though MAY have been the content, as I'm sure dark scenes and letterboxing would probably reveal some washing out of the blacks... I also didn't see any flashlighting at all on a full black screen, so I am guessing it is luck of the draw with these sets. Eh either way, I think I am gonna pick one up Monday and give it a try as a replacement for this Panny G15.

I agree that viewing angles are extremely exaggerated and used to bash lcds. However, if you do watch material in a dark room like the experts/reviewers do you will notice the problems. All those problems you mentioned will be very noticeable in dark room conditions, but will be almost non existent in a bright setting.
post #826 of 1059 Old 03-19-2010, 09:51 AM

translate.google.de/translate?js=y&prev=_t&hl=de&ie=UTF-8&layout=1&eotf=1&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.heise.de%2Fnewsticker%2Fmeldung%2FErster-3D-Fernseher-im-Test-958253.html&sl=de&tl=en

Here's a small German review of the C7700 and his 3D capabilities.

(translated by Google, sorry I am not allowed yet to post URLs)
post #827 of 1059 Old 03-19-2010, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler_pgh View Post

I told ya! The most important factor here that YOU are the one that is going to be using the TV and not the expert! Therefore you pick the TV based on your liking. Forum is good to get to know about some certain facts about the TV but by the end of the day picking the TV is going to be based on what you see best.

I was leaning toward 8500 in the beginning from watching the forum, till i get to the store to check c7000 and it's 3D display and to my surprise I actually found the c7000 has more pop to it when i compared it to 8500 and therefore it makes great deal of sense for me to pick the c7000 (I am still waiting for bundle to buy TV) since 8500 price remains somewhat high and doesn't offer the future proof 3D, you can't go wrong its kind of like a win win type of deal, even if 3D never takes off.
post #828 of 1059 Old 03-19-2010, 06:52 PM

I had a different experience when I went to BB today. I thought the 3d looked very nice and I did notice some pop out effects. Seems like the 3d is as good as the theater with just a smaller screen.
post #829 of 1059 Old 03-19-2010, 06:59 PM

Does anyone know if the free bundle that starts Sunday is just at Best Buy? I am wondering if it is going to be possible to purchase the TV from a cheaper online retailer and still get the bundle for free.

Or is this just going to be at Best Buy where you have to pay a higher price and tax to get the bundle for free.
post #830 of 1059 Old 03-20-2010, 07:36 AM

For folks that may think 3d is a fad, here is an interesting article:
****://mashable.com/2009/12/29/first-us-3dtv-channel/ and
****://mashable.com/2010/01/05/3dtv-discovery/ (add http at the beginning).
My question is, why do we have to update all of our accessories if a firmware update can make certain devices produce 3d effects (blu ray, HD boxes, receivers, PS3)?
post #831 of 1059 Old 03-20-2010, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoTrix View Post

For folks that may think 3d is a fad, here is an interesting article:
****://mashable.com/2009/12/29/first-us-3dtv-channel/ and
****://mashable.com/2010/01/05/3dtv-discovery/ (add http at the beginning).
My question is, why do we have to update all of our accessories if a firmware update can make certain devices produce 3d effects (blu ray, HD boxes, receivers, PS3)?

I have an interesting response for that. Think about 3D like when folks moved from Standard Definition to High Definition, you had to change your tv and all that, it's no different from 3D.

Ps3 is technically like small computer and it's processor can effort to have 3D capabilities but rest of Blu ray players do not have the same type of specifications that could allow them to be upgraded, and speaking about that... This is one of the main reasons some folks picked ps3 over oppo 83 because ps3 may have the ability to do 3D with a simple update while oppo 83 and rest of blu rays will have to be replaced to have 3D in their hardware. Just like the new Samsung 3D blu ray player that got released few days ago

P.S Regarding HD boxes from Cable/satellite, you are basically renting the box for them, so all they need to do is do all hard work to make their boxes support 3D and you just continue renting the box, just like DVR and all that
post #832 of 1059 Old 03-20-2010, 11:20 AM

It’s my turn to comment on the 3D effect as I just came back from BestBuy

1/ overall compared to the RealD effect seen in theaters, I’d give this an 8/10

2/ most people here say it adds depth but no pop-out effect. This is 100% accurate.

3/ no double image at all, as I really tried to look for it. The image through the glasses is very sharp.

4/ the 3D effect at 1 scene makes Susan (what’s her name again? now I can clearly remember she said “the name is not Susan”) look slightly detort. Her head appears too far from the shoulder when she turns sideway.

5/ the scene at the freeway, the 3D effect is very subtle, almost the same as seen without glasses

6/ I hope I took away 2 points because of this movie, not because of the TV itself because I spent a fair amount of time watching the movie without glasses. And it looks normal for the most part (the double images are not far away from each other); that means the 3D effect of this movie is not very strong.
I think Samsung made a wrong choice using this title as the 3D demo

7/ when I was there, many people checked out the 3D demo did not realize they needed to turn the glasses on. I hope none of us here made that mistake

Ok, I also have a few questions. Hopefully, anyone who has the whole 3D set at home can answer

a) Is there any setting on the TV or the bluray player to increase/decrease the 3D effect?

b) When you watch the movie quite far from the TV, is the 3D effect still the same as watching it from upclose (BestBuy did not let me move the glasses, so I had to seat right in front of the TV)
post #833 of 1059 Old 03-20-2010, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by midnightman View Post

It's my turn to comment on the 3D effect as I just came back from BestBuy

1/ overall compared to the RealD effect seen in theaters, I'd give this an 8/10

2/ most people here say it adds depth but no pop-out effect. This is 100% accurate.

3/ no double image at all, as I really tried to look for it. The image through the glasses is very sharp.

4/ the 3D effect at 1 scene makes Susan (what's her name again? now I can clearly remember she said the name is not Susan) look slightly detort. Her head appears too far from the shoulder when she turns sideway.

5/ the scene at the freeway, the 3D effect is very subtle, almost the same as seen without glasses

6/ I hope I took away 2 points because of this movie, not because of the TV itself because I spent a fair amount of time watching the movie without glasses. And it looks normal for the most part (the double images are not far away from each other); that means the 3D effect of this movie is not very strong.
I think Samsung made a wrong choice using this title as the 3D demo

7/ when I was there, many people checked out the 3D demo did not realize they needed to turn the glasses on. I hope none of us here made that mistake

Ok, I also have a few questions. Hopefully, anyone who has the whole 3D set at home can answer

a) Is there any setting on the TV or the bluray player to increase/decrease the 3D effect?

b) When you watch the movie quite far from the TV, is the 3D effect still the same as watching it from upclose (BestBuy did not let me move the glasses, so I had to seat right in front of the TV)

When you said you couldn't see the pop out effect and how you could see some scenes with and without glasses on makes me think that there is something wrong with the setup that they had in your local BB.

If you look at my previous posts, Most BB may not have the setup hooked up correctly. When i first went to my local BB their glasses weren't working properly till i told one of the their salesman and same with their Panasonic display. Anyways if it was the aliens vs monster movie in 3 Blu ray in display with Samsung 3D You should have noticed some 3D pop out effect,
especially the Shot gun scene that pops out of the screen, it's very visible to see that one and some scene of Susan (if thats the character name, not sure too haha) Also one of the character had his hand up and you can visibly see that one too.... You didn't notice any of those?
post #834 of 1059 Old 03-20-2010, 12:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked: 191
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrManson View Post

translate.google.de/translate?js=y&prev=_t&hl=de&ie=UTF-8&layout=1&eotf=1&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.heise.de%2Fnewsticker%2Fmeldung%2FErster-3D-Fernseher-im-Test-958253.html&sl=de&tl=en

Here's a small German review of the C7700 and his 3D capabilities.

(translated by Google, sorry I am not allowed yet to post URLs)

Here's an unbroken version of the link and of course you may have to use your translater upon arrival.

http://www.heise.de/

Samsung 65F8000, 60D8000, 40HU6350, Panasonic 50E60 LCD's
post #835 of 1059 Old 03-20-2010, 02:40 PM

Also, during some of the battles you can see debris flying out of the screen. I also did notice some of the guns sticking out of the screen in the movie. Plus, I have heard numerous people talk about the shotgun and the paddleball being way out of the screen. The TV is obviously capable of the pop out effects. It just depends on the particular movie as to how many pop out effects there actually are.
post #836 of 1059 Old 03-20-2010, 02:53 PM

Quote:

Also, during some of the battles you can see debris flying out of the screen. I also did notice some of the guns sticking out of the screen in the movie. Plus, I have heard numerous people talk about the shotgun and the paddleball being way out of the screen. The TV is obviously capable of the pop out effects. It just depends on the particular movie as to how many pop out effects there actually are.

Yup.. i've mentioned in other threads I saw pop out here and there.

:)
post #837 of 1059 Old 03-20-2010, 03:02 PM

This is my first post here after observing the Samsung threads for the past month. I'm either going to get the c7000 or c8000 55" set in a month or so, seeing as the 8000 is not out yet I'm left with only reviews of pre-retail models, so I have to wait.

To stay on topic, I was able to check out the 55" c7000 in 3-d today at my local best buy. I immediately looked for the double images that a couple people pointed out, I did not see that at all. I went in with lower expectations of 3-d on a television but came away impressed, the picture was clear and the depth was great and things did pop out (not to the effect of imax 3d, after all they use the reald technology on these), the one thing that I did notice was the effect the viewing angel had on watching 3d, straight on it was fantastic, about 45 degrees was ok/good, but any farther than that and it wasn't good, screen became dark and there didn't seem to be any 3d effect.

They actually had a cable box hooked up to the tv for normal 2d and I was able to view that a little bit too, the place was bright and there wasn't many dark scenes on the tv so I was unable to notice any flashlighting or cloudiness, but the picture did look fantastic. That's my 2 cents.
post #838 of 1059 Old 03-20-2010, 05:22 PM

Thanks to all posting on their 3D experience. I went for a 2nd evaluation at a different BB store and put some thoughts below. I own the 55B8000 from last year which I find very 3D to begin with and IMHO has the best picture I've seen.

[Initially Posted with small adjustment to Amazon UN55C7000 Customer Discussion: 'Evaluating 3D - Reviews on '3D Experience'']
I went with family back to a different BB after a week to see it again. The glasses had the light on, the Menu/3D/depth was turned up to the max setting of 10 and still the 30 minutes demo material of Monsters Verses Aliens had essentially no 3D effect to us at all. The 3D effect in the theaters today isn't something which has to be looked for or only present in a few scenes. The 2D to 3D conversion of a few HDTV channels were also unimpressive. The poor picture quality under 3D I saw on my first visit wasn't apparent on the 2nd visit, the pq was fine, although we felt the 3D overall was zip. They had an initial sales video playing that did have a reasonable 3D effect on the Sammy, the first I've seen on the 55" c7000, although after playing M Vs A they couldn't put it back on. Overall, this indicates to me the demo material (M Vs A) was weak, which IMHO is a very bad idea for Sammy's first impression. Due to some contract? They really needed good demo material to show what the set can do, like Panasonic had.

We walked over to the Panasonic 50" 3D plasma display and we were all impressed. They had a selection of 5 short demo videos, and some of the city scenes looked genuinely real/3D, as though I was really there looking around. It was clear the 3D when used properly on the Panny was effective. Whether 3D bluray movies would achieve this effect, including Avatar, remains to be seen but I believe there is potential. The rep's said Panasonic fixed the 3D bluray disk so that it wouldn't play for the Sammy, making a direct comparison impossible.

Now I wish I had taken the Samsung demo disk of M Vs A and played it on the Panasonic. Can someone try that when both display's are present?

Time will tell. I am interested in the 65" Samsung C8000; the 50" Panny and 55" Samsung were too small for 3D. I prefer Samsung's LED/LCD to any plasma I've seen, due to the pop and 3D effect in 2D. BB's initial free glasses with M Vs A (which doesn't have any 3D effect IMHO) with purchase of TV and bluray player ends today after a week.

Still very interested in other's opinions on the 3D effect. IMHO much more demo material and 3D bluray disks with movies are needed to understand what these HDTV's can do and how they compare. I agree it's apples verses oranges with different demo material for now.
post #839 of 1059 Old 03-20-2010, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WorldCup2010ESPN View Post

When you said you couldn't see the pop out effect and how you could see some scenes with and without glasses on makes me think that there is something wrong with the setup that they had in your local BB.

If you look at my previous posts, Most BB may not have the setup hooked up correctly. When i first went to my local BB their glasses weren't working properly till i told one of the their salesman and same with their Panasonic display. Anyways if it was the aliens vs monster movie in 3 Blu ray in display with Samsung 3D You should have noticed some 3D pop out effect,
especially the Shot gun scene that pops out of the screen, it's very visible to see that one and some scene of Susan (if thats the character name, not sure too haha) Also one of the character had his hand up and you can visibly see that one too.... You didn't notice any of those?

No, I really did not see any pop-out effect.

Do you remember that for the very same scene the 1st time you did not see pop-out effect but the 2nd time clearly saw it?

Is it possible that my BB uses different clips (in M vs. A) for the demo?

Is there actually a setting that can screw up the 3D effect? Or you only speculate?
post #840 of 1059 Old 03-20-2010, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by midnightman View Post

No, I really did not see any pop-out effect.

Do you remember that for the very same scene the 1st time you did not see pop-out effect but the 2nd time clearly saw it?

Is it possible that my BB uses different clips (in M vs. A) for the demo?

Is there actually a setting that can screw up the 3D effect? Or you only speculate?

Oh yes! When i was there for the first time to check the Samsung 3D and when i put the glasses on, I can tell there were no pop-out effect and not only that but picture quality wasn't good... I knew something must have been wrong, because if this was 3D then i felt it sucked bad hahah so what i did i told the BB salesman that something wrong with the glasses, he took a look and did something, but unfortunately i didn't pay attention to what he did to make it to work... Obviously I put it back on and I can tell the difference in Picture quality and did see the pop out effect! Mainly the Gunshot this one was really visible, you can't really miss that one!! Also depth were nice.

Panasonic 3D display had an issue with the glass as lol. Even Salesman told me they will replace the glass, this is when i gave BB 2nd visit for the Panasonic 3d display. I would suggest you give BB another visit, they may have it hooked up correctly this time. I suggested the same thing to two members in this forum and they had similar experience to what you had for the first time and they came back with a good impression seeing pop effect when they gave BB another visit, perhaps they went to another one.

P.S By the way, I went to another BB and they had wrong setup as well or had problem with glasses. This just to show how professional BB salesmen can get LOL... Honestly though, they are not trained and their knowledge are extremely limited, you might find one that may have some knowledge but not many for sure.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page