Question about TV purchase - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 01-09-2010, 04:23 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey this is my first post so be easy on me I'm also not quite sure where to post this so bear with me. Ok so I am in the market for a new television, roughly 46-55". I am an avid blu-ray movie watcher/Videogame player both done on my Playstation 3. I have two TVs in mind, money is not an issue. The Samsung C9000 LED LCD and the Panasonic TC-PVT25 Plasma, both are the new 2010 3D TVs. I've seen a Samsung LED 6000 series and was blown away by the picture. I have never personally seen a high end Panasonic Plasma in Blu-ray so I cannot compare.

Ok so I want to throw out their that I LOVE the look of the 120/240HZ refresh rates on LCD/LED. I like the smoothness of the images and how realistic it seems to look. Does Plasma when watching Blu-rays have that same effect? One thing that bothers me (On my Samsung LCD 720p) is that the picture has artifacts.

Is the premium price of LED TVs worth it?

Are videogames better to play on a LED or a Plasma?

Are blacks/colors now comparable between these sets?

Which TV will have the better live TV broadcast picture? Because I have seen some TVs look not very good and others look very good.

Any information is EXTREMELY helpful. If you didn't have to worry about the cash, which TV would you choose? I would personally settle for one of the Samsung Backlit models if there was a CLEAR advantage over the edge lit. I looked at one at Ultimate Electronics and they wanted $4100 for a 55" which I thought seemed excessive. I chose the Samsung C9000 series simply for the look and the slimness of the set. I also think the Panasonic's are slightly less aesthetically pleasing compared to the beautiful look of the Samsung models. All help is appreciated, thank you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 01-10-2010, 09:28 AM - Thread Starter

anyone?
post #3 of 11 Old 01-10-2010, 09:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Far too many questions and most of this information is already discussed on the forum endlessly. One suggestion is that YOU spend some time researching and understanding some of the basics then come back with a limited number of very specific questions. You can't ask people to explain the world and give 3 examples and expect to get much back
post #4 of 11 Old 01-10-2010, 10:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
The TVs you are considering haven't even been released yet.

Back off man, I'm a scientist.
post #5 of 11 Old 01-10-2010, 10:45 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by omeletpants View Post

Far too many questions and most of this information is already discussed on the forum endlessly. One suggestion is that YOU spend some time researching and understanding some of the basics then come back with a limited number of very specific questions. You can't ask people to explain the world and give 3 examples and expect to get much back

Oh I'm sorry, I didn't mean to waste your time since it's being talked about "endlessly" on these forums. I mean obviously it was much easier for you to spend your time responding, than actually being useful and TRYING to answer some of the questions I have. I'm not an idiot, and I know the basics. I was looking for an opinion from some people who had experience to give me their recommendation. But thanks I spend the next 2 hours searching the forums getting nowhere. Oh and for the record it's like 5 simple yes or no questions.
post #6 of 11 Old 01-10-2010, 10:48 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkcohen View Post

The TVs you are considering haven't even been released yet.

Really? They said 2010 I thought that meant January 1st! Dammit I guess I can't go buy one tomorrow. Hmm I guess I should of known better since they just unveiled them 2 days ago... Btw them not being released has nothing to do with anything. LED and Plasmas were around in 2009, I'm asking simple comparison questions between the 2 technologies.
post #7 of 11 Old 01-10-2010, 10:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3Dhereicome View Post

Oh I'm sorry, I didn't mean to waste your time since it's being talked about "endlessly" on these forums. I mean obviously it was much easier for you to spend your time responding, than actually being useful and TRYING to answer some of the questions I have. I'm not an idiot, and I know the basics. I was looking for an opinion from some people who had experience to give me their recommendation. But thanks I spend the next 2 hours searching the forums getting nowhere. Oh and for the record it's like 5 simple yes or no questions.

Sorry man, but you were whining that no one was answering your questions. Now you know.
post #8 of 11 Old 01-10-2010, 10:58 AM

Is the premium price of LED TVs worth it?
Edge-lit: No, not really.
Back-lit: Yes, of course.

Are videogames better to play on a LED or a Plasma?
LED: No & Yes, and you must look into the internal specs. Video processing can introduce lag (but then thats why there's game mode) but even with game mode, you'll still experience game lag and motion blur depending on your panel type. LCD's (specifically Samsung's S-PVA panels) are known to have one of the highest input lag. But PQ is amazing.

Plasma: Yes and no, plasma's don't have to worry about input lag but you might have to think about burn-in with video games (But then there is some pixel orbiters that move the pixels ever so slightly to prevent burn-in)

Are blacks/colors now comparable between these sets?
LED edge-lit: Blacks well... not really. Colors may look better on LCD's.
Plasma: Blacks are still great on plasma, and you don't have to worry about clouding or flashlighting. Colors are a little dull though (in bright environments)

Which TV will have the better live TV broadcast picture? Because I have seen some TVs look not very good and others look very good.
Depends on the video processor. I believe Sony has the best SD conversion.

Any information is EXTREMELY helpful. If you didn't have to worry about the cash, which TV would you choose? I would personally settle for one of the Samsung Backlit models if there was a CLEAR advantage over the edge lit.
- Samsung did not release any back-lit LED this year (at least for now)... so your best bet is to get the B8500.

I looked at one at Ultimate Electronics and they wanted $4100 for a 55" which I thought seemed excessive. I chose the Samsung C9000 series simply for the look and the slimness of the set. I also think the Panasonic's are slightly less aesthetically pleasing compared to the beautiful look of the Samsung models. All help is appreciated, thank you.

C9000 is probably gonna cost more than that, which is probably for sure.
post #9 of 11 Old 01-10-2010, 12:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3Dhereicome View Post

Really? They said 2010 I thought that meant January 1st! Dammit I guess I can't go buy one tomorrow. Hmm I guess I should of known better since they just unveiled them 2 days ago... Btw them not being released has nothing to do with anything. LED and Plasmas were around in 2009, I'm asking simple comparison questions between the 2 technologies.

Oh I see, so this is yet another LCD vs plasma thread.

Back off man, I'm a scientist.
post #10 of 11 Old 01-10-2010, 04:04 PM - Thread Starter

Cool thanks BK, and no shark it's not a LCD vs plasma comparison. I merely wanted to know if the LED's for their premium price were worth it compared to a less expensive plasma.
post #11 of 11 Old 01-10-2010, 04:05 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by omeletpants View Post

Sorry man, but you were whining that no one was answering your questions. Now you know.

I said "Anyone?" not exactly whining...I merely reposted to bring it back up as an active thread so more people would see it and I could maybe get the answer I was looking for.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page