Opinions on Philips 52PFL5704D 52" LCD? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 21 Old 01-18-2010, 04:57 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey folks,

New member here, although I've frequented these forums for information off-and-on for several years as a lurker.

I've just sold my old Sony Grand WEGA rear-proj 50" LCD and I'm looking for a suitable replacement in the form of a flat panel LCD, in the 47"-52" range.

My neighbourhood Costco has an excellent price ($1150 CAD) currently for the 52" Philips 52PFL5704D. I haven't seen many reviews of it anywhere; in fact, only one thread on these boards discusses it and it's just a technical question about the LCD's functions.

So far, I've only seen it in action in the store, and my dad owns the next model down (the Philips 47" LCD sold by Dell.ca), which I've used to watch sports and the Discovery channel and I quite enjoyed the picture quality.

I'd like to know if anyone else has any experience with this panel, or recommendations for or against it. Also, any suggestions for alternate panels to look into in that kind of price range (maybe under $1500 CAD) would be appreciated.

Cheers,
-nick
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 01-19-2010, 08:13 AM

I bought this same TV at my St. John's local Costco for the same price. I have been using it now for about 3 weeks. I love it!!!! For the price and also getting a second years warrenty you cannot go wrong. I was only suppose to get to use it once my recroom was complete but now that my wife has seen it in action in the livingroom she wants to keep it there.

Get it and enjoy.
post #3 of 21 Old 02-03-2010, 08:14 AM

Can you post your callibration settings? I bought one yesterday and can't seem to get it to look very good (my 2 year old samsung 46 inch looked MUCH better). Hopefully it's just a matter of playing with the settings. Would you mind posting yours?
post #4 of 21 Old 02-10-2010, 01:18 PM

I just bought this TV from Sams Club a couple weeks ago and was initially very disappointed with the picture quality and color. However, after countless hours of tuning and researching I found settings that make it look awesome to me. I'll list them and you can try them out to see what you think.

Contrast 98
Brightness 47
Color 62
Tint 0
Sharpness 1
Color Temp Normal* U must alter color setting of normal in hidden menu
DC Off
DNM off
DNR Off
Color Enhancement Off
Active Control On without light sensor

To access the hidden menu press 062596 then info on your remote with the tv turned on

Go to RGB Align
Click Normal
Write down these numbers in case you don't like my settings!!!!
Change:
R Gain 109
G Gain 96
B Gain 94

Click left on the arrow pad and then click store to save your changes.

If you try this please let me know what you think of the calibration.

Good Luck!
post #5 of 21 Old 02-10-2010, 08:04 PM

I'm picking mine up this weekend...I'll give it a shot!

Sunfire Theater Grand IV, Emotiva Stealth 8, Adam powered monitors, Epik sub, Oppo DVD, Parts Express 15 sub kit, Epson projector...
post #6 of 21 Old 02-10-2010, 08:10 PM

Cool! Please do im interested in seeing what others think of this calibration...
post #7 of 21 Old 02-11-2010, 07:49 PM

Sorry, I don't know if anyone is using these or not, but change the sharpness to 4. I just noticed and it makes a big difference especially on PS3.
post #8 of 21 Old 02-13-2010, 03:26 PM

oh wow, seems like good reviews on amazon.com and I may pick one up orhave it shipped but its $1300 on costco.ca site. Wow $150 for shipping.

Does anyone know if you can get extended warranty from Phillips directly? I hope warranty wise costco's 2 year, I won't have to take it back in as it's HEAVY
post #9 of 21 Old 02-14-2010, 01:03 PM

How did you know about the "hidden menu"? Seems a bit crazy to have to do that, but I'll give it a shot. Really not happy with what I've been able to achieve with the regular menu. Pretty sure mine is going back to costco, but I'll give your settings a try. Thanks for the help. Has anyone else had any luck making the crap picture look good?
post #10 of 21 Old 02-14-2010, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipassgas View Post

How did you know about the "hidden menu"? Seems a bit crazy to have to do that, but I'll give it a shot. Really not happy with what I've been able to achieve with the regular menu. Pretty sure mine is going back to costco, but I'll give your settings a try. Thanks for the help. Has anyone else had any luck making the crap picture look good?

ipassgas (lol) nice handle. You don't like the picture out of the box in HD or is this SD we're talking about. Just wondering because I saw a toshiba 46' at my cousins place and out of box SD was unbelievable, when we hooked up HD, I was blown away.

I agree, I'd hate to ming with the hidden menu. I was hoping out of the box settings would be awesome with HD for this TV.
post #11 of 21 Old 02-16-2010, 10:56 AM

I just posted this on another thread:

Purchased my Philips last Friday from Costco, not starting off good...took me 2 hours to get an image...and I used to work in the "field" years ago..so I had a pretty good idea on what I was doing...Ended up having multiple issues, after speaking to a tech at Philips he suggested I do an exchange..both issues are compatibility problems, one with my Comcast HDDVR, I'm just getting a Green Screen...the other is a no signal for my HTPC. The Tech and I made sure I had the latest firmware...tried different DVR's, Cables etc...

I'll be throwing it in the Suv today after work, thank you Costco..I'm just hoping it's an Isolated issue...other than that...using it with Component cable..and the above settings, I was enjoying the image. I'll keep you updated!

Sunfire Theater Grand IV, Emotiva Stealth 8, Adam powered monitors, Epik sub, Oppo DVD, Parts Express 15 sub kit, Epson projector...
post #12 of 21 Old 02-17-2010, 02:22 PM

I'm talking about HD. I really don't watch SD much. But both are unwatchable with this set at this time -- even with the changes suggested above. I'll play around for another week and then back to costco it goes.
post #13 of 21 Old 02-17-2010, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wepiii View Post

I just bought this TV from Sams Club a couple weeks ago and was initially very disappointed with the picture quality and color. However, after countless hours of tuning and researching I found settings that make it look awesome to me. I'll list them and you can try them out to see what you think.

Contrast 98
Brightness 47
Color 62
Tint 0
Sharpness 1
DC Off
DNM off
DNR Off
Color Enhancement Off
Active Control On without light sensor

To access the hidden menu press 062596 then info on your remote with the tv turned on

Go to RGB Align
Click Normal
Change:
R Gain 109
G Gain 96
B Gain 94

If you try this please let me know what you think of the calibration.

Good Luck!

Thanks for giving me a great place to start. I spent the evening tweaking and came up with the following.... Please give it a try and let me know your thoughts.

Contrast 98
Brightness 63 (47 crushed all the blacks)
Color 42
Tint 13
Sharpness 0
DC Off
DNM off
DNR Off
Color Enhancement Off
Active Control OFF

Go to RGB Align
Click Normal
Change:
R Gain 87
G Gain 96
B Gain 94

Please let me know what you think.
post #14 of 21 Old 02-18-2010, 07:35 AM

Heh. Just a reminder in case anybody runs into this:

On occasion in the past year or so, I'll encounter a blu-ray that has really horrible grainy issues. This occurred again last night watching Public Enemies and I started dorking with the menu and discovered I apparently left the TV in PC mode at some point. Changing back to HDTV mode made a world of difference. So make sure you check that out if you are shocked at a poor quality movie :P
post #15 of 21 Old 02-18-2010, 09:49 AM

How do you go back and forth from PC Mode? I can't find this option... Thanks... And also glad I could give u a place to start on the settings, I'm gonna give yours a shot tonight and see how they look. Thanks!
post #16 of 21 Old 02-20-2010, 07:37 PM

Interesting, I didn't know about the hidden menu, I'm very happy with this set so far but was bummed that I couldn't get the colors to match what they should be using the DVE HD Basics calibration disc. I'll try to see if the RGB Align settings can make that happen.
post #17 of 21 Old 03-07-2010, 07:35 PM

hi guys...any further reviews? I'm thinking of getting it this week? hopefully phillips customer service wont let me down
post #18 of 21 Old 03-08-2010, 06:39 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by edanuff View Post

Interesting, I didn't know about the hidden menu, I'm very happy with this set so far but was bummed that I couldn't get the colors to match what they should be using the DVE HD Basics calibration disc. I'll try to see if the RGB Align settings can make that happen.

The adjustments through the hidden menu will get you where you want to go - I strongly suggest you write down on paper what the original settings are just in case you go to far and need to start over again - I dont know why Philips took this out of their main menu - my 2007 52PFL7432D has a "custom color menu" which gives the user access to this now "Hidden Menu" - you can get the tv's colors where you want them instead of relying on some default value. The other word of caution is not to touch anything else in the hidden menu other then the color point adjustments - you can cause some problems you don't need.

Wazy
post #19 of 21 Old 03-08-2010, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipassgas View Post

I'm talking about HD. I really don't watch SD much. But both are unwatchable with this set at this time -- even with the changes suggested above. I'll play around for another week and then back to costco it goes.

any luck with your panel yet?
post #20 of 21 Old 03-10-2010, 01:11 PM

These settings you came up with, did you use some sort of calibration disk at all?
post #21 of 21 Old 03-14-2010, 12:18 PM

Nope, just eyeballed it.... i have changed a few things, make sure sharpness is not above 2 and turn off active control all together.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page