Horizontal Tearing with Samsung LN32B360 and my MacBook - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 01-23-2010, 04:38 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have a Samsung LN32B360 running video from my MacBook using a miniDV-VGA adapted.

The signal is great. Its running in 720p, 1:1 ratio. The problem is that there is a small amount of horizontal tearing towards the top of the screen whenever the camera pans left or right, or sometimes when it makes a quick cut. The top inch or two just seems to be lagging behind and can't keep up if the image changes quickly. As far as I can tell, its always in the same place.

The TV runs at 60hz, and here is where I think the problem is: my MacBook is outputting the correct resolution, but at 75hz. When I select the drop-down menu, all the other options are grayed out. In other words, my MacBook is forcing a 75hz image to my 60hz TV. Anyone have any idea if this could be causing the problem?

I haven't called Apple or Samsung yet, but I'm thinking I should.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-23-2010, 04:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
yeah its a conversion glitch from converting 75hz to 60hz

horizontal tearing occurs when a Device must take a higher frame rate and down convert to a lower frame rate to display it

happens in PC games all the time if you turn off V-Sync therefore allowing the maximum frame rate to be rendered and when its over 60fps you get horiz tearing and if it drops under 60fps you get slide show like studder

this is why games have V-Sync on by default

If you're a gamer or interested in using an LCD TV as a primary monitor take a look at my thread on Input Lag
Old 01-24-2010, 12:07 PM - Thread Starter

Do you know any reason why my MacBook is forcing me to output 75hz? All other options are grayed out.
I am having this problem while using Hulu Desktop and when I watch videos online in full screen. If it were a video game, I'd mess with h-sync and v-sync settings, but I don't have that option. Its just my system outputting fullscreen video at 75hz and not letting me change that.

Any ideas as to how this can be fixed? MacBook (white) running Snow Leopard. Mini-DV to VGA.
Old 01-24-2010, 12:25 PM
AVS Special Member

not a clue, I don't use mac's

A PC would normally detect what a display can do as far as resolutions and only allow what the TV can display

perhaps get a mini DV to HDMI/DVI cable and see how that works

If you're a gamer or interested in using an LCD TV as a primary monitor take a look at my thread on Input Lag
Old 01-24-2010, 03:33 PM - Thread Starter

The strange thing is that my TV is actually recognizing the output. When I open the info menu, it tells me that it is receiving at 75hz. But I've double checked my TVs specs, and it has a max rate of 60hz.

So weird...
Old 01-24-2010, 03:36 PM - Thread Starter

I've thought about buying a miniDVI - HDMI, but I've heard that for PC sources, VGA can at times be better. Plus, the HDMI end wouldn't affect what my computer thinks, right? It is still only putting a DV signal out, its just that the cable is converting it. I'm using the miniDVI - VGA right now, and I'd like to stick to it. Just have to figure out why my system won't let me change the refresh rate.
It lets me change it when I select different resolutions, but then its not native for the TV.
Old 01-24-2010, 03:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonefry View Post

I've thought about buying a miniDVI - HDMI, but I've heard that for PC sources, VGA can at times be better. Plus, the HDMI end wouldn't affect what my computer thinks, right? It is still only putting a DV signal out, its just that the cable is converting it. I'm using the miniDVI - VGA right now, and I'd like to stick to it. Just have to figure out why my system won't let me change the refresh rate.
It lets me change it when I select different resolutions, but then its not native for the TV.

yes it could effect what the PC detects as the correct resolutions to display

VGA only has a limited interface for telling a PC what resolutions it can support.

DVI/HDMI will actually tell your PC that its a TV and i can do this this this this and this resolution

if your drivers are good enough on the video card it will even recognise that its connected to a TV and allow for more display control options needed for TV use. at least that is how it is on PC's with Nvidia cards

HDMI will be a much better connection your talking analog (VGA) vs all digital (DVI/HDMI)

its a night and day difference on screen in picture sharpness provided your TV allows turning off overscan and video processing on an HDMI input and most if not all name brand TV's do allow this

(i use a sony 32xbr6 as my main pc monitor via a DVI to HDMI cable just FYI)

Old 01-24-2010, 03:49 PM - Thread Starter

Interesting.
Maybe I'll give the HDMI adapter a shot and see what happens.
I will say though that I did quite a bit of research here on AVS and most people seemed to think that the VGA actually provided a sharper image when using PC sources. I think the reason was that VGA better carried the PC's native color space. But I guess that's a discussion for a different thread.

I'll post again if I can get this resolved with the HDMI cable.
Old 01-24-2010, 03:59 PM
AVS Special Member

that can be the case with certian TV's that do not allow video processing to be disabled and/or overscan to be disabled

i know that higher model samsungs allow this (B5xx and up models)

on those models what you have to do is use the HDMI port labeled HDMI/DVI on the back of the TV and change that input's label in the TV menu to PC and it turns on a special hidden PC mode that removes all video processing

if you have any HDMI device right now you could try it out on your TV, you should see a fairly big change in picture when you do and low quality video sources will look much worse (cable HD, DVD etc) BD's will look much sharper and grainier

Old 01-24-2010, 06:56 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the tip! I was wondering what the HDMI/DVI label on my HDMI 1 port meant... I was confused until now.
I tried what you said with my 360... switching the source title to "PC" and I have to say I got interesting results. Sharpness didn't change much, but the colors all seemed a little bland... and I'm not using any of the crappy "Dynamic" mode stuff either. I pretty much have all processing taken off. I can't say the picture was better: I preferred the standard setting over the PC one. But I'm sure this will come in handy once I get my HDMI adapter for my MacBook. Thanks a lot!
Old 01-24-2010, 07:10 PM
AVS Special Member

yeah the PC mode often does not make for a picture that people like over normal modes but it does remove video processing making it perfect for PC use