Hotel Mode on LG LCD - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 46 Old 01-24-2010, 07:19 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm spending the next two months at a hotel equipped with LG LCDs (model: 32LC5DC). I picked up a blu ray player and an hdmi cable (the LG has two hdmi inputs), however both inputs are disabled and the TV is in "hotel mode" The "engineer" here said he didn't setup the TVs (some outside company did), but he happily gave me the original remote to the TV (as opposed to the LodgeNet neutered remote) and told me to have it. However, in hotel mode the menu buttons on both the TV and the remote are disabled.

Anyone know how to access the menu to disable hotel mode or even just reset the tv to standard. I'm in a suite with two TVs so i really don't care if one of them loses access to the hotel guide, etc. as long as I can watch my movies and not pay $15 bucks per movie on the hotel's system.

Now before you ask, yes the standard video input works, but I feel somehow violated watching a blu-ray over a yellow RCA cable. The TV has component inputs, but I don't have the cables, so don't know if it works.

I did a search on google and saw posts regarding holding down the menu button for five seconds and entering 1105. I can confirm that the unit does wait for a four digit code after you hold down the menu button for five seconds (as the IR light blinks and the TV doesn't change channels for the first four number inputs). However, nothing pops up. Perhaps the hotel changed the "password?"

Any help appreciated. Plus, I'm bored half the time, so hacking the TV will give me something to do.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 46 Old 01-24-2010, 07:37 AM

If the TV will allow you to switch to Component input, you can go to Radio Shack or other store and buy cables to try. It should work. I think this would be your best option.
post #3 of 46 Old 01-24-2010, 09:27 AM - Thread Starter

I actually stopped this morning on the way to work and grabbed some component cables. I'll try those this evening.

Was just curious if anyone had successfully defeated "hotel mode" and got the HDMI inputs to work. It's also annoying because they clearly set a high volume limit on the TV using hotel mode. Over the RCA audio inputs, I have to crank the volume to max and it's still too low. I'm contemplating buying a 42 inch LCD at Target and returning it when I'm off this trial site in two months. Gotta love their 90 day return policy. ;-)
post #4 of 46 Old 01-24-2010, 09:29 AM - Thread Starter

Also, it's weird cause the TV will let me change the input to HDMI -- it just says no signal.
post #5 of 46 Old 01-24-2010, 08:42 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Well, I am sitting in a Sheraton Four Points puzzling over the same problem... only I am trying to use the RGB input.

There *must* be a way to reset to factory defaults, say if the passcode is lost or forgotten. there is a reset button located on the back of the unit near the "AV IN 1" connectors. The manual for this product is available on Retrevo, but it doesn't mention anything about factory reset.

Please let me know if you come up with anything.

-sq
post #6 of 46 Old 01-24-2010, 08:47 PM

btw- the LCD i am dealing with is also LG 32LC5DC
post #7 of 46 Old 12-24-2010, 09:41 AM

Hi there- encountering the same problem with an LG32LC5DC at an omni hotel. Any solutions?

Thanks!
post #8 of 46 Old 12-25-2010, 06:27 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 12
AFAIK the internal electronic boards are actually different on "Hotel Model" TVs in order to keep them from being worth anything if stolen.
post #9 of 46 Old 12-25-2010, 06:47 AM

try a google search, you might get lucky!!
post #10 of 46 Old 12-25-2010, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by walford View Post

AFAIK the internal electronic boards are actually different on "Hotel Model" TVs in order to keep them from being worth anything if stolen.

Thanks for the clarification on the issue- I'll give up now!
post #11 of 46 Old 01-25-2012, 10:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 200 Post(s)
Liked: 85
Found my way back to this thread by way of a Google search for "LG Hotel Mode"...

The hotel I am at has a LG TV connected through an "On Command" adapter and remote system, this box intercepts the cable signals and provides hotel information and services... but also disables the other inputs such as PC or HDMI.

This box is connected to the TV via a short phone cord, unplugging it seems to have left the hotel services available but re-enabled the "INPUT" selection buttons on the side of the TV allowing me to connect my tablet and display images or playback tablet based content, YEAH!

As usual YMMV...

Al
post #12 of 46 Old 01-29-2012, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Sherwood View Post

This box is connected to the TV via a short phone cord, unplugging it seems to have left the hotel services available but re-enabled the "INPUT" selection buttons on the side of the TV allowing me to connect my tablet and display images or playback tablet based content, YEAH!

Thank you for that, I'm staying at Sheraton with an LG TV, and the same trick worked for me too.
post #13 of 46 Old 01-30-2012, 10:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by meballard View Post

Thank you for that, I'm staying at Sheraton with an LG TV, and the same trick worked for me too.

Welcome to the AVS Forum!

Cool, I thought that it was worth the post even though the thread was old, glad it helped... before I left I just replugged the phone cable.

Al
post #14 of 46 Old 01-30-2012, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Sherwood View Post

Found my way back to this thread by way of a Google search for "LG Hotel Mode"...

The hotel I am at has a LG TV connected through an "On Command" adapter and remote system, this box intercepts the cable signals and provides hotel information and services... but also disables the other inputs such as PC or HDMI.

As usual YMMV...

Got very excited when I just found this thread, staying in the Marriott for a week and can't get my 360 to work.

The trick mentioned above doesnt seem to work for me tho. I've pulled out the network cable connecting the tv to the box on the back, but the side input / men buttons are still coming up locked, I have tried many combinations!

Did you guys have to turn the tv off/on when you tried this? Any ideas?

It's a LG 32LG300C.

Thanks!
post #15 of 46 Old 01-30-2012, 02:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ewankirky View Post

Got very excited when I just found this thread, staying in the Marriott for a week and can't get my 360 to work.

The trick mentioned above doesnt seem to work for me tho. I've pulled out the network cable connecting the tv to the box on the back, but the side input / men buttons are still coming up locked, I have tried many combinations!

Did you guys have to turn the tv off/on when you tried this? Any ideas?

It's a LG 32LG300C.

Thanks!

Welcome to the forum Ewan,

Sorry, I did not write down the model number of the TV. Is the On Command unit a grey box stuck to the back of the set connected to the TV with both the RJxx connection and the coaxial cable?

What I did was to disconnect the RJxx cable when the TV was off, then power the TV on.

The On Command remote did not have a button to change inputs but the INPUT button on the side was now working, the first press brought up the icons for the inputs, each successive press advanced it to the next input choice.

Al
post #16 of 46 Old 01-30-2012, 02:29 PM

Hi al, thanks for the welcome.

There is a black box on the back of this one, with a network cable going from the box to a rs232 port on the tv. The co-axle cable come into the box then from the box to the tv. When I pull the network cable and start the tv up, the remote stops working and the buttons on the side are still locked. Maybe they have found away from stopping the hack.

Thanks for your help anyway!

Ewan
post #17 of 46 Old 02-03-2012, 09:53 PM

Had the same issue with an LG TV (32LV452C-UA). After trying to enter 1105 after pressing the menu button until the menu appeared and disappeared without success, I just went into the menu, clicked on the "lock," entered 1105 as my password and it got me in to change the lock outs on the inputs.

Hope this helps other folks staying in hotels with LG TVs with all the inputs locked.
post #18 of 46 Old 03-20-2012, 04:34 PM

I found this thread through a Google search on "hack lg flat screen tv".

The remote in this case appears to be the original remote. It even gives options to change the input type.

In this case I'm trying to connect my notebook pc via HDMI cable to the flat screen tv. This has worked at other Fairfield Inn locations with slightly newer tvs but isn't working at this one.

I have accessed the menu via remote to change the incoming source to one of the two HDMI inputs, but those options are locked and not accessible. The only option is the default option of "Tuner." There is a reset button on the back of the tv, but pressing that for either a second or 20 seconds hasn't affected anything. There is not a box or phone line connected to the tv, only the power supply and the coax.

The model number of the tv is an LG model #32LC50CB. I don't have a universal remote and don't really want to buy one cause I'm pretty sure the tv can be hacked, but how...?

I tried disconnecting the coax where the only line-in was the HDMI - that didn't work. I even tried swapping between the two HDMI input slots on the tv and that didn't work either.

I may have met my match with the potential hacking of this device. Then again, it may be a hotel model which cannot be hacked. I just joined the group to ask this question. I travel a lot and have never had a problem connecting the notebook pc to the newer flat screen tvs, most of which are LG or Phillips.

Thanks,

Andrew
TallTrainer2
post #19 of 46 Old 03-20-2012, 06:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TallTrainer2 View Post

I found this thread through a Google search on "hack lg flat screen tv".

The remote in this case appears to be the original remote. It even gives options to change the input type.

In this case I'm trying to connect my notebook pc via HDMI cable to the flat screen tv. This has worked at other Fairfield Inn locations with slightly newer tvs but isn't working at this one.

I have accessed the menu via remote to change the incoming source to one of the two HDMI inputs, but those options are locked and not accessible. The only option is the default option of "Tuner." There is a reset button on the back of the tv, but pressing that for either a second or 20 seconds hasn't affected anything. There is not a box or phone line connected to the tv, only the power supply and the coax.

The model number of the tv is an LG model #32LC50CB. I don't have a universal remote and don't really want to buy one cause I'm pretty sure the tv can be hacked, but how...?

I tried disconnecting the coax where the only line-in was the HDMI - that didn't work. I even tried swapping between the two HDMI input slots on the tv and that didn't work either.

I may have met my match with the potential hacking of this device. Then again, it may be a hotel model which cannot be hacked. I just joined the group to ask this question. I travel a lot and have never had a problem connecting the notebook pc to the newer flat screen tvs, most of which are LG or Phillips.

Thanks,

Andrew
TallTrainer2

Welcome to the forum Andrew, there is a wealth of information on the AVS Forum, not just for those using TV's in hotel room, ha ha.

I am not sure but read my post #11 above, does the TV at your hotel have one of these boxes?

Al
post #20 of 46 Old 04-03-2012, 10:34 AM

All, I happen to come across this and thought I might make life easier on everyone as I actually install these (and other) panels in hotels; If you are in a hotel with a LodgeNet system (no box on back of TV), you will not be able to access the TV menu system as the internal card from LNet will lock you out. Conversely, if you are in an On Command system hotel (DOES) have small black box on TV AND you have an LG remote, you can disconnect the phone cable from the back of the TV, and with the code, access the TV menu system to activate the inputs. However, with no movie system BUT HD channels, you will not be able to access the internal menu settings as putting the TV in to HD "mode" disabled access to that menu (where the input reside) without the use of special software and hardware on a laptop. most new installs have been setting up the external inputs, but that depends on the installatin company (and how good they are) and the hotel.
post #21 of 46 Old 04-03-2012, 07:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvinstaller28 View Post

All, I happen to come across this and thought I might make life easier on everyone as I actually install these (and other) panels in hotels; If you are in a hotel with a LodgeNet system (no box on back of TV), you will not be able to access the TV menu system as the internal card from LNet will lock you out. Conversely, if you are in an On Command system hotel (DOES) have small black box on TV AND you have an LG remote, you can disconnect the phone cable from the back of the TV, and with the code, access the TV menu system to activate the inputs. However, with no movie system BUT HD channels, you will not be able to access the internal menu settings as putting the TV in to HD "mode" disabled access to that menu (where the input reside) without the use of special software and hardware on a laptop. most new installs have been setting up the external inputs, but that depends on the installatin company (and how good they are) and the hotel.

Twinstaller28, welcome to the forum and thanks for sharing the above information!

You mentioned the requirement for a LG remote and the 'code', were you able to share this code, or are you saying that without it we are dead-in-the-water? The last hotel I was at had a gray On Command box and all I had to do was disconnect it from the TV by removing the RJxx cable. This allowed me to select one of the HDMI inputs so I could connect my tablet and play back a movie.

Al
post #22 of 46 Old 04-04-2012, 06:46 PM

When you were able to remove the RJ45 (phone) connector, you disabled the On Command box comms with the TV. Because the TV in your room was not locked out (the installer can chose to turn that setting on or off) you were able to access the inputs. However, those inputs, and even the TV buttons themselves, are part of the initial setup. Normally they are locked out because, and don't take this wrong, we nor the hotels want guest "messing" with the TV's. Whenever a TV is disconnected, reprogrammed, unlocked, etc., very rarely does the panel get put back into its original mode. In turn, the next guest will call the front desk with a problem, and the hotel engineering staff has to come fix the problem, or, if it is right after a new installation, call my company to complain we did not do our jobs. I hope you can understand my reluctance to share all the programming "secrets" or codes to the general public. In searching for past problems with a certain model panel, I came across this forum and thread, and thought I could help out by explaining which sites are most likely accessible, and which ones its not even worth trying to mess with (i.e. the LodgeNet sites without boxes and the sites with HD). In that regard, I am more than happy to share my knowledge, but, the Hotels are my customer, and they have to be my main responsibility.

Climbing down off my soapbox, I can say more and more hotels are realizing the necessity of providing access to the aux inputs. The biggest challenge is on the sites that have PPV and/or HD, as the PPV or HD interface (required because the HD channels are encrypted, so something has to tell the TV to un-encrypt the signal), be it a box or internal card, takes control of the TV and effectively blocks access to or even completely negates the internal menus settings.

Again, please forgive me not giving out our codes, but I will be happy to answer or help in any other way I can.
post #23 of 46 Old 04-09-2012, 11:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
Quote:

Climbing down off my soapbox, I can say more and more hotels are realizing the necessity of providing access to the aux inputs.

Ultimately, if enough customers ask hotel managers specifically for this access, the hotels may listen. In the days when Internet access typically cost $10 per day in most hotels, a few provided it for free. I thanked those hotels for that service, and I made sure to choose those hotels again in the future. When I had to stay at a hotel that charged extra, I told them it made no more sense to me than charging extra to use the TV or the heat. Now, most hotels have free Internet access.

Chris

"It's [expletive] lame to watch Jaws, a film that uses the 2.40 ratio as well as any ever produced, in the wrong format on HBO." -Steven Soderbergh, Oscar-winning director

post #24 of 46 Old 04-10-2012, 08:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

When you were able to remove the RJ45 (phone) connector, you disabled the On Command box comms with the TV. Because the TV in your room was not locked out (the installer can chose to turn that setting on or off) you were able to access the inputs. However, those inputs, and even the TV buttons themselves, are part of the initial setup. Normally they are locked out because, and don't take this wrong, we nor the hotels want guest "messing" with the TV's. Whenever a TV is disconnected, reprogrammed, unlocked, etc., very rarely does the panel get put back into its original mode. In turn, the next guest will call the front desk with a problem, and the hotel engineering staff has to come fix the problem, or, if it is right after a new installation, call my company to complain we did not do our jobs. I hope you can understand my reluctance to share all the programming "secrets" or codes to the general public. In searching for past problems with a certain model panel, I came across this forum and thread, and thought I could help out by explaining which sites are most likely accessible, and which ones its not even worth trying to mess with (i.e. the LodgeNet sites without boxes and the sites with HD). In that regard, I am more than happy to share my knowledge, but, the Hotels are my customer, and they have to be my main responsibility.

Climbing down off my soapbox, I can say more and more hotels are realizing the necessity of providing access to the aux inputs. The biggest challenge is on the sites that have PPV and/or HD, as the PPV or HD interface (required because the HD channels are encrypted, so something has to tell the TV to un-encrypt the signal), be it a box or internal card, takes control of the TV and effectively blocks access to or even completely negates the internal menus settings.

Again, please forgive me not giving out our codes, but I will be happy to answer or help in any other way I can.

I understand your situation regarding work, and applaud your offer to answer questions.

Regarding the access to external inputs, it seems that hotels are finally figuring this out, as Chris mentioned, I will choose hotels that make these options available to me as a paying (sometimes dearly) customer. The practice of charging for internet access seems to be dissappearing, only expensive hotels seem to still do this. I guess the rich don't like to appear cheap and ask the front desk clerk about this extra charge. If they are willing to pay $250+ a night plus parking then I guess $15 for the internet seems like a nit. Strange how you can go to McDonalds or Starbucks and pay less then $10 for a product and get free WiFi...

I will see if I have a picture of the credenza that a local Marriott uses for there rooms, the TV has a multitude of inputs all brought out to a special interface panel that allows external connections, heck they even provide a bag of cables to use, still charge for that internet though.

Al
post #25 of 46 Old 07-26-2012, 03:26 AM

Hi,

I just came up against an LG 26LH200H in the Express by Holiday Inn in London. It has a small black box on the back that has 2 connections to the TV. It has a brain-damaged hotel remote and all the buttons on the outside, except the volume, are disabled.

The "hack" for it turned out to be even simpler than I expected: Pressing 0 on the remote (not sure if you have to be in TV mode first) selects the composite input, press 0 again and you get the next input and so on until you get round to the HDMI input. First time I tried it I got "Connecting" then the "No signal" problem. I powered the HDMI device off then back on and I got a picture. Looks like it doesn't work unless you have the input selected before you turn the source on.

Cheers,
Paul.
post #26 of 46 Old 12-10-2012, 02:47 PM

Hey I checked your query and since I was also in the same situation, here's something you could bank upon:
Press the MENU button for more than 5 seconds using the user remote control, programme information
will appear at top left/right on the screen.
Enter a four digit password and press OK button.
• The TV is set with the initial password “1-1-0-5”.
Use the button to select the desired menu.

Hope this helps
post #27 of 46 Old 01-06-2013, 11:19 PM

Firstly just wish to add my thanks for this thread in allowing me to enable the HDMI input on an LG TV during a recent hotel stay and allow me to stream Netflix through my S3 with MHL HDMI.

Second are the details of my success.

Hotel: Metropolitan Vancouver
TV: LG 32LD340H
Box: OnCommand 9K94
Connection: RJxx cable
Fix: Unplug RJxx from TV and side controls instantly available. Multiple presses of INPUT key allow selection of HDMI input.

Of course I ensured the cable was re-connected and appropriate default channel selected before I checked out.

post #28 of 46 Old 03-11-2013, 11:45 PM

Super easy fix....unplug lodgenet power cord from electrical outlet. This allows all use of television without having to pull cables or add extra AV equipment. The down side is you'll have to manually change volume/input selection (located usually on front right panel)
post #29 of 46 Old 03-15-2013, 05:01 AM

I found this, maybe it will help.

You might need to do a facotry reset to unlock TV options at that point. Only way around this would be to remove the 2 screws holding in the lodgenet card, if there is one there, and pulling it out of the back of the set (Don't have to pull it out all the way, just enough to disengage the data socket. Once the card is removed, you would need an actual LG remote (not the pay per view remote) and hit menu a bunch of times until it stops flashing menu on and off. Once it stops, you type in on the keypad, "98765" "ENTER". This will take you to an installer menu. Scrolling down to the highest numer there is (Should be one backwards from the "000" you start on" there is "Factory Reset" and you use the right arrow key and set it to "1" and then press enter. The TV will flicker a couple times, and then, all inputs are active.

Good Luck----CD
post #30 of 46 Old 03-21-2013, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papfox View Post

Hi,

I just came up against an LG 26LH200H in the Express by Holiday Inn in London. It has a small black box on the back that has 2 connections to the TV. It has a brain-damaged hotel remote and all the buttons on the outside, except the volume, are disabled.

The "hack" for it turned out to be even simpler than I expected: Pressing 0 on the remote (not sure if you have to be in TV mode first) selects the composite input, press 0 again and you get the next input and so on until you get round to the HDMI input. [...]

I found this thread through a Google search. I'm in a Holiday Inn at Glasgow Airport in the UK, and have an LG 37DL322H tv, with the same black box and crippled hotel remote. I just registered to say that your trick, pressing 0 on the remote, worked here! Thank you!
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page