Official LG "XXLH90" 240hz LED User Setting/Calibration Forum - Page 38 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1111 of 1715 Old 07-03-2010, 04:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbuckston View Post

I'm still having a bit of trouble getting my TV to look the way I'd like. I tried to calibrate with the ChromaPure DVD and HCFRColor via the Curt Palme guide and the curve chart was way off still.

What is the proper way to calibrate with the 10-point IRE? Do I have to have a disc that provides a 100% white field or window or do I need a disc that provides 10, 20, 30, 40, 50, 60, 70, 80, 90, and 100% white field/window to match each IRE setting?

Does the IRE setting on the TV adjust anything as far as the display goes, or is it just a calibration utility?

If I need a specific set of test patterns for this 10-pt IRE to be effective, what disc contains them?

Don't use the DVD. In advanced settings go to pattern and select inner. You will then get a blank (white or grey screen) depending upon the IRE setting. Every time you change the IRE the TV will change from near white to grey and get darker as you step down in IRE. You do not need a disc you have an internal pattern to use!! (You will need the DVD for looking at the CMS.)

Using the internal pattern is also a great way to get an eyeball of what may be wrong. In my case the 100 IRE setting had a slightly noticeable pink tint to it. I put in the THX IRE settings which subtract out red at 100 IRE and voila, tint gone.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1112 of 1715 Old 07-03-2010, 06:12 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by glangford View Post

Don't use the DVD. In advanced settings go to pattern and select inner. You will then get a blank (white or grey screen) depending upon the IRE setting. Every time you change the IRE the TV will change from near white to grey and get darker as you step down in IRE. You do not need a disc you have an internal pattern to use!! (You will need the DVD for looking at the CMS.)

Using the internal pattern is also a great way to get an eyeball of what may be wrong. In my case the 100 IRE setting had a slightly noticeable pink tint to it. I put in the THX IRE settings which subtract out red at 100 IRE and voila, tint gone.

According to the CNET review, THX mode provided excellent gamma but color temperature was way off towards blue (8164K average). I believe THX color temperature is set to Warm, and it would appear changing Warm to Medium or Cool would only make matters worse. Are you using all the THX IRE settings? How have you corrected the color temperature?

Below is that part about THX mode from CNET:

"Prior to setup we always measure every picture mode to determine the most accurate for our "Before" (pre-calibration) Geek Box numbers, below, and in doing so we were surprised to find that THX mode on the LH90 was less accurate than on any other THX-equipped TV we've tested in the past. It had the characteristic dimness we've seen (28.7ftl max light output) and gamma was excellent (2.22 versus an ideal of 2.2), but its color temperature was quite blue (8164K average). We ended up using the default Expert 1 settings for the Before numbers instead, which was very slightly more accurate than THX."
http://reviews.cnet.com/flat-panel-t...l?tag=txt;page
post #1113 of 1715 Old 07-03-2010, 05:53 PM

Just bought the 47" LH90, any suggestions on what the best callibration setting would be for all around viewing? Thanks!
post #1114 of 1715 Old 07-04-2010, 06:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skoretsk View Post

Just bought the 47" LH90, any suggestions on what the best callibration setting would be for all around viewing? Thanks!

Try the CNET settings: http://forums.cnet.com/5208-19410_10...hreadID=349354

If you want a slightly darker picture than CNET, try Rahzel's settings:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...4#post18113614

The main difference between CNET and Rahzel is gamma, CNET has it on Low and Rahzel has it on Medium.
post #1115 of 1715 Old 07-04-2010, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambizytl View Post

Try the CNET settings: http://forums.cnet.com/5208-19410_10...hreadID=349354

If you want a slightly darker picture than CNET, try Rahzel's settings:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...4#post18113614

The main difference between CNET and Rahzel is gamma, CNET has it on Low and Rahzel has it on Medium.

Tried both settings, way TOO dark for us! Is there a callibration for people who like bright settings? Honestly the pre-set we like the most on this TV is SPORTS.
post #1116 of 1715 Old 07-04-2010, 10:35 AM

Quote:

Tried both settings, way TOO dark for us! Is there a callibration for people who like bright settings? Honestly the pre-set we like the most on this TV is SPORTS.

Why don't you try using the Picture Wizard? At least it'll be settings derived from your tastes. And, the settings will be based on YOUR TV. Most people like the results from the Picture Wizard.

If you're using other peoples settings for their TV then you might get lucky and hit on a set that you'll like. But, there is no reason to expect that the setiings for someone else's TV will make your TV look like theirs. Even if they have the same firmware, build date, and whatever.
post #1117 of 1715 Old 07-04-2010, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowland.johnson View Post

Why don't you try using the Picture Wizard? At least it'll be settings derived from your tastes. And, the settings will be based on YOUR TV. Most people like the results from the Picture Wizard.

If your using other peoples settings for their TV then you might get lucky and hit on a set that you'll like. But, there is no reason to expect that the setiings for someone else's TV will make your TV look like theirs. Even if they have the same firmware, build date, and whatever.

Thanks for the suggestion, I'll give that a shot.
post #1118 of 1715 Old 07-04-2010, 03:27 PM

Quote:

Here's a stupid question for you:

When selecting the inner pattern, is the goal to maintain the gray screen as close to gray as possible while adjusting the IRE levels?
post #1119 of 1715 Old 07-04-2010, 04:46 PM

Quote:

Thanks for the suggestion, I'll give that a shot.

You may discover one setting doesn't work for everything. I find that sometimes according to the source, could be streaming from Vudu or Netflix, I use different settings. I have a free trial with Netflix so decided to stream a movie and found myself changing the picture setting to Standard with TruMotion Off. For HD TV programming from DirecTV, I prefer CNET settings; for Blu-ray discs it again depends on source material, such as concert or movie, and could be CNET or Rahzel for movies and concert or even Standard looked good for concert.

If you like a bright picture with lots of color and what some may call pop, try Standard and go into Advanced for TruMotion and other choices. Depending on the amount of light in your room, and if day or night watching, you may find your preferences changing.
post #1120 of 1715 Old 07-04-2010, 06:44 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by secondhand1 View Post

When selecting the inner pattern, is the goal to maintain the gray screen as close to gray as possible while adjusting the IRE levels?

Yes, with the method I use.
post #1121 of 1715 Old 07-05-2010, 04:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Yes, all IRE values should be a neutral grey. Starting at near white at 100 and ending at near black at 10. Any color tint at all and something is amiss.
post #1122 of 1715 Old 07-05-2010, 05:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KONICA TECH View Post

Yes, with the method I use.

Quote:

Yes, all IRE values should be a neutral grey. Starting at near white at 100 and ending at near black at 10. Any color tint at all and something is amiss.

Excellent. I think I'll be zeroing out all IRE and CMS values, running through the Spears and Munsil disc, then going back and making any necessary adjustments to the IRE with the inner pattern.

I've been using my THX setting for about a month or so now:

Aspect Ration: Just Scan
BL = 70
Contrast = 90
Brightness = 57
H Sharpness = 50
V Sharpness = 50
Color = 70
Tint = 0
Dynamic Contrast = low
Noise Reduction = low
Gamma = medium
Black Level = low
Real Cinema = on
TruMotion 240 = off
Color Gamut = standard
Edge Enhancer = off
Color Filter = off
White balance = cool
Pattern = outer
10 point IRE
Luminance 135
100 [-18 0 2]
90 [4 8 6]
80 [11 11 8]
70 [14 10 9]
60 [20 16 19]
50 [19 10 10]
40 [16 9 11]
30 [11 6 7]
20 [5 2 3]
10 [0 -3 -5]
CMS = all 0s

Picture's been great for all inputs, but sometimes I feel as though it could be a little... crisper. That's the best way I can explain it. Hopefully I'll find what I'm looking for after I run through the disc.
post #1123 of 1715 Old 07-05-2010, 10:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 194
Quote:

Excellent. I think I'll be zeroing out all IRE and CMS values, running through the Spears and Munsil disc, then going back and making any necessary adjustments to the IRE with the inner pattern.

I've been using my THX setting for about a month or so now:

Aspect Ration: Just Scan
BL = 70
Contrast = 90
Brightness = 57
H Sharpness = 50
V Sharpness = 50
Color = 70
Tint = 0
Dynamic Contrast = low
Noise Reduction = low
Gamma = medium
Black Level = low
Real Cinema = on
TruMotion 240 = off
Color Gamut = standard
Edge Enhancer = off
Color Filter = off
White balance = cool
Pattern = outer
10 point IRE
Luminance 135
100 [-18 0 2]
90 [4 8 6]
80 [11 11 8]
70 [14 10 9]
60 [20 16 19]
50 [19 10 10]
40 [16 9 11]
30 [11 6 7]
20 [5 2 3]
10 [0 -3 -5]
CMS = all 0s

Picture's been great for all inputs, but sometimes I feel as though it could be a little... crisper. That's the best way I can explain it. Hopefully I'll find what I'm looking for after I run through the disc.

Used to try the Sharpness Adjustments to get a Crisper picture and never really got anywhere until one day, I paid real close attention to getting the Lower IREs perfectly calibrated - then I got the Crisper Picture!
post #1124 of 1715 Old 07-05-2010, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by p5browne View Post

Used to try the Sharpness Adjustments to get a Crisper picture and never really got anywhere until one day, I paid real close attention to getting the Lower IREs perfectly calibrated - then I got the Crisper Picture!

I was watching a HD movie streamed from Netflix yesterday and Standard mode brought a very crisp picture. I don't see any IRE or CMS options available for Standard mode, so no idea how that is set, but back light is 70, contrast is 90, Sharpness is 70, and color is, I believe 60. Dynamic contrast is originally on Medium and other settings are not what I normally use, changed them including Dynamic Contrast. The overall picture for movie was very sharp and well defined--but would be much too bright for TV programming. White Balance and Gamma are set to Medium. The thing is this is going through Blu-ray player and no idea how the player is affecting picture. When I watch HD programming from DirecTV, the picture is sharp and well-defined with CNET settings, which is not always the case when streaming.

Anyway, interesting that by getting your lower IRE perfectly calibrated you were able to increase sharpness.
post #1125 of 1715 Old 07-06-2010, 05:23 AM

This TV has me baffled. I streamed another movie from Netflix last night, "The Insider", and it was not even HD but picture quality with CNET settings was absolutely great! I mean, there was crispness, detail, color, terrific sound, all was a tremendously enjoyable experience.
post #1126 of 1715 Old 07-06-2010, 07:15 AM

Quote:

This TV has me baffled. I streamed another movie from Netflix last night, "The Insider", and it was not even HD but picture quality with CNET settings was absolutely great! I mean, there was crispness, detail, color, terrific sound, all was a tremendously enjoyable experience.

that's the reason why i usually stick to HD content only. alot of streaming SD stuff is hit or miss on widescreen/HDTV's. plus, i'll never go back to watchin SD crap if i don't have to!
post #1127 of 1715 Old 07-06-2010, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by houstoned View Post

that's the reason why i usually stick to HD content only. alot of streaming SD stuff is hit or miss on widescreen/HDTV's. plus, i'll never go back to watchin SD crap if i don't have to!

I have my DirecTV custom Favorites set to only HD channels, and I normally stream just HD movies, but I wanted to see "The Insider" even though it wasn't in HD. The amazing thing was the picture quality was great! The other movie I streamed that didn't look so good with CNET settings was HD, "Scream 2"

I even played an old DVD not in HD that looked great with CNET settings. What I don't understand is the Info/Display button showed 1080/24 with "The Insider" and that movie is not HD. Is it because the Blu-ray player up-converted it to 1080p 24?
post #1128 of 1715 Old 07-06-2010, 11:43 AM

Hey guys,

I've been tweaking the settings on my tv a few nights now, using the Curt Palme Calibration for Dummies guide and the Gamma.xls provided by rowland.johnson (is there a new version of this file somewhere?) early in the thread. ColorHCFR and an X-Rite EyeOne Display 2 device. Everything finally clicked and I know what goals I'm trying to hit as far as color balance and gamma go.

I calibrated initially with the Picture Wizard, then used ColorHCFR and the internal IRE patterns. For 0 IRE in the ColorHCFR grayscale reading I just scanned at 10 IRE.

Backlight:\t\t35
Contrast:\t\t88
Brightness:\t\t56
H. Sharpness:\t50
V. Sharpness:\t50
Color:\t\t\t47
Tint:\t\t\t0
Local Dimming:\tOn

Dynamic Contrast:\tOff
Noise Reduction:\tOff
Gamma:\t\tMedium
Black Level:\t\tLow
Real Cinema:\tOff
TruMotion 240Hz:\tOff
Color Gamut:\tStandard
Edge Enhancer:\tOff

Color Filter:\t\tOff

White Balance:\tWarm

10-Point IRE
100\t[-6 -16 -9]\tLuminance:\t130
90\t[7 -10 -3]
80\t[17 -10 -3]
70\t[15 -12 -3]
60\t[16 -5 1]
50\t[12 -10 -2]
40\t[18 -2 4]
30\t[7 -6 -2]
20\t[5 -5 0]
10\t[7 1 3]

Attached is the resulting colorHCFR file from these settings along with a set of luminance and gamma graphs.

After this calibration I watched a 1080p movie and decided to raise the backlight from 35 to 55. I haven't recalibrated for that setting yet but I plan to soon.

My main questions: based upon the graphs/file, any suggestions on where I can go from here for better gamma/color accuracy? I know I'll have to recalibrate to compensate for the increased backlight...
LL
LL

final.chc.zip 4.8779296875k . file
post #1129 of 1715 Old 07-06-2010, 11:53 AM
AVS Special Member

I don't think you need to recalibrate for increasing back light. Grey scale is just that. A mixture of red/green/blue that is pure grey. As long as the balance of color is correct the backlight should make little difference to that color balance. Shouldn't you be able to adjust your back light at will and not have to rebalance red,blue, and green to produce grey?

How does your picture look?
post #1130 of 1715 Old 07-06-2010, 01:09 PM

Quote:

Hey guys,

I've been tweaking the settings on my tv a few nights now, using the Curt Palme Calibration for Dummies guide and the Gamma.xls provided by rowland.johnson (is there a new version of this file somewhere?) early in the thread. ColorHCFR and an X-Rite EyeOne Display 2 device. Everything finally clicked and I know what goals I'm trying to hit as far as color balance and gamma go.

I calibrated initially with the Picture Wizard, then used ColorHCFR and the internal IRE patterns. For 0 IRE in the ColorHCFR grayscale reading I just scanned at 10 IRE.

Backlight: 35
Contrast: 88
Brightness: 56
H. Sharpness: 50
V. Sharpness: 50
Color: 47
Tint: 0
Local Dimming: On

Dynamic Contrast: Off
Noise Reduction: Off
Gamma: Medium
Black Level: Low
Real Cinema: Off
TruMotion 240Hz: Off
Color Gamut: Standard
Edge Enhancer: Off

Color Filter: Off

White Balance: Warm

10-Point IRE
100 [-6 -16 -9] Luminance: 130
90 [7 -10 -3]
80 [17 -10 -3]
70 [15 -12 -3]
60 [16 -5 1]
50 [12 -10 -2]
40 [18 -2 4]
30 [7 -6 -2]
20 [5 -5 0]
10 [7 1 3]

Attached is the resulting colorHCFR file from these settings along with a set of luminance and gamma graphs.

After this calibration I watched a 1080p movie and decided to raise the backlight from 35 to 55. I haven't recalibrated for that setting yet but I plan to soon.

My main questions: based upon the graphs/file, any suggestions on where I can go from here for better gamma/color accuracy? I know I'll have to recalibrate to compensate for the increased backlight...

Dine-ooo-mite! I forgot that I did a spreadsheet. The one I use now can be found at http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...7#post15607437. Also,ColorHCFR will compute the target luminance values for you. Navigate to Measures->Gray scale. The last row in the table is labelled gamma Y. You'll most likely have to scroll the table to see it.

The next step is to adjust the CMS settings. You might want to check out the following posts
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...8#post18041238 and http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...=#post18497347

I typically change the backlight level to accomodate different amounts of ambient light. Changing the Backlight does have some effect. But, not enough to matter, IMHO. As I recall, increasing the Backlight increases the Blue, especially at the highr IREs.
post #1131 of 1715 Old 07-06-2010, 02:25 PM

Quote:

How does your picture look?

It looks pretty good. I'd like to get the gamma a little more uniform and slightly higher (right around 2.2 instead of 2.3). The blacks seemed a little too black until I raised the backlight and I still feel like I would benefit with further adjustment. No Country for Old Men is a pretty dark movie but I'm losing too much detail in the dark scenes.
post #1132 of 1715 Old 07-06-2010, 08:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 147
Higher gamma worsens shadow detail.

And as far as the backlight, it shouldn't affect your results much. You might have to touch it up a little, but not much.
post #1133 of 1715 Old 07-07-2010, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahzel View Post

Higher gamma worsens shadow detail.

I meant higher as in brighter, not as in higher numerically. Didn't word it properly though
post #1134 of 1715 Old 07-07-2010, 10:51 AM

System overload (reading this thread), I'm a new owner of the 55LH90 and so far only tried the CNET settings which I find (again so far) to be good for movies. I am not sure I like it for sports, and the preset modes on this TV seem to look worse to me than those on my 46C630 Samsung. I have a few basic questions so far:

1. On my Samsung the "game mode" other than making some color adjustments basically turns off all the post-processing (AMP) that the TV does to reduce lag. Now, my understanding that TruMotion is sort of the equivalent of AMP, however it seems everyone suggests to turn it ON for video games?
2. If TruMotion serves the same purpose as AMP on Samsung, I would want it on for fast moving action such as sporting events?
3. Real Cinema is only applicable to 24hz sources such as bluray?
post #1135 of 1715 Old 07-07-2010, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChosenGSR View Post

System overload (reading this thread), I'm a new owner of the 55LH90 and so far only tried the CNET settings which I find (again so far) to be good for movies. I am not sure I like it for sports, and the preset modes on this TV seem to look worse to me than those on my 46C630 Samsung. I have a few basic questions so far:

1. On my Samsung the "game mode" other than making some color adjustments basically turns off all the post-processing (AMP) that the TV does to reduce lag. Now, my understanding that TruMotion is sort of the equivalent of AMP, however it seems everyone suggests to turn it ON for video games?
2. If TruMotion serves the same purpose as AMP on Samsung, I would want it on for fast moving action such as sporting events?
3. Real Cinema is only applicable to 24hz sources such as bluray?

I don't have the answers to questions 1 & 2, but for 3 Real Cinema only affects 1080p 24 content, such as Blu-ray or in my case also 1080p 24 movies from DirecTV. I leave Real Cinema On for everything but might turn it off for games, although leaving it on for games probably wouldn't do anything.

I am getting PS3 Slim tomorrow with MLB 10 The Show and your question 2 also interests me. I know houstoned plays games with TruMotion on so he should know if lag is any problem.
post #1136 of 1715 Old 07-07-2010, 11:24 AM

Quote:

It looks pretty good. I'd like to get the gamma a little more uniform and slightly higher (right around 2.2 instead of 2.3). The blacks seemed a little too black until I raised the backlight and I still feel like I would benefit with further adjustment. No Country for Old Men is a pretty dark movie but I'm losing too much detail in the dark scenes.

If you find the blacks too black lacking detail, you can try gamma set to low, which still gives excellent blacks with better detail than gamma on medium or high with my settings. The black bars in movies do look blacker with gamma set to medium.
post #1137 of 1715 Old 07-07-2010, 12:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 147
Quote:

I meant higher as in brighter, not as in higher numerically. Didn't word it properly though

Oops, my bad.... I mis-read your post. I thought you said you wanted to bump it up to 2.3 from 2.2.
post #1138 of 1715 Old 07-07-2010, 01:30 PM

Quote:

I don't have the answers to questions 1 & 2, but for 3 Real Cinema only affects 1080p 24 content, such as Blu-ray or in my case also 1080p 24 movies from DirecTV. I leave Real Cinema On for everything but might turn it off for games, although leaving it on for games probably wouldn't do anything.

I am getting PS3 Slim tomorrow with MLB 10 The Show and your question 2 also interests me. I know houstoned plays games with TruMotion on so he should know if lag is any problem.

as someone else has mentioned, i think fast motion is one of the xxLH90's weaker points. it's not horrible, but could be better. if u have a setting u like, i'd recommend setting that to 'expert 1' and make a similar/same setting for 'expert 2' that has trumotion enabled. u can just switch between the 2 settings accordingly.
post #1139 of 1715 Old 07-07-2010, 01:38 PM

Liked: 12
had my LH90 for months now, but apparently something has changed - it now has some sort of auto-off where after X time of inactivity, the set turns itself off.

I've gone through all the settings and all power-saving options are turned off. Any ideas on what else to look for? Or is this just standard behavior I hadn't noticed before?
post #1140 of 1715 Old 07-07-2010, 04:33 PM

Am I understanding that the "local dimming" menu option should be OFF when playing video games? I assume so as the "GAME" setting by default disables and grays that feature out. I am not entirely sure what this does but I noticed that the menu options look much sharper with that feature set to OFF, however the blacks are less black.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Lg 47lh90 , Harman Kardon Avr 254 7x50w 7 1 Channel Home Theater Receiver With Hdmi 1 3a Repeater
Gear in this thread - 7x50w by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page