Netflix - too much rebuffering on Sony Bravia Engine 3 TVs (W5100/Z5100/XBR9) - Page 3 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #61 of 63 Old 02-15-2014, 04:52 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

I came across your post about your Sony W5100.  I have the same issues.  Netflix was no help.  I can stream any other service on the TV without an issue and can stream Netflix on any other device including my chromecast without an issue.  Did you ever resolve it?

I also have a problem with my W5100 that whenever the wireless bridge is plugged in the TV shuts itself off and turns back on.  It happens every couple of hours.  Have you ever had that problem?  Neither I nor sony have ever been able to correct it and the only answer is to take it to a service center which isn't happening.

Tim

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 63 Old 04-08-2014, 01:53 PM

I am also having too much Netflix rebuffering using a Roku 2 for Neflix which is hooked via HDMI to my older widescreen rear-projection Sony Bravia tv that has a wonderful picture. I've had the Roku/Netflix setup for years with no problem. Netflix is not presently unwatchable, but I too often have some interruptions in each movie with the rarer case of it completely stopping the movie. My Verizon FIOS router is in the same room, just like always.

Hoping it would solve things, I changed weeks ago from FIOS 15/5 mbps to their new "magum" speed of 50/20 mbps, and it has made no difference in anything, except for a slightly increased wireless speed for my 2007 laptop from 15/5 to 20/20, and if I wire the laptop I get 60/20 but then the laptop just freezes all the time. Soooooo, I called Verizon to go back to the 15/5 to save the $10/mo., but they said I couldn't with my contract but they would waive the $10/mo. charge so I now actually get the "increased" speed for free. Sha.

I tried a VPN (Unblock-US) which promised it could help with this (tried their free 1-week trial). Followed all their instructions, and it did not change anything in any way. They replied that, sadly, how well Roku/Netflix will receive signal can really depend on how close you are to your ISP tower. However, I don't think I noticed this problem last November 2013 at this same address, but now, for maybe 2 months, I do.

My quesion: has anyone got any ideas about a good VPN that has worked for them?
post #63 of 63 Old 04-08-2014, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joanna700 View Post

I am also having too much Netflix rebuffering using a Roku 2 for Neflix which is hooked via HDMI to my older widescreen rear-projection Sony Bravia tv that has a wonderful picture. I've had the Roku/Netflix setup for years with no problem. Netflix is not presently unwatchable, but I too often have some interruptions in each movie with the rarer case of it completely stopping the movie. My Verizon FIOS router is in the same room, just like always.

I think you may be talking about a different issue, since you're using the ROKU 2 as the streaming source, and not using the internet-enabled TV as the source. This thread, to my read, is about internet-enabled TV's where the web connection and streaming is done by the TV. Your Roku replaces that function of the TV, meaning it's now just a display for the Roku. Hope that helps and does not confuse.

Unfortunately, I don't have any other solutions to offer, but I can tell you what I ended up doing. I finally gave up on my Panasonic Blu-Ray (BD85K/wireless) and the Sony XBR9 (wired) as internet streaming sources and bought a Roku 3. Works perfectly. Supposedly the Roku 3 is a more powerful processor, but of what, I'm not sure. All I can tell you is that my Netflix issues were eliminated by going to this solution.

My much cheaper, but newer Sony TV works just fine on Netflix using a wireless connection. Go figure. The XBR9 just isn't up to the task of streaming, it seems.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Sony Bravia W Series Kdl 46w5100 46 Inch Lcd Hdtv , Sony Bravia Kdl 52z5100 , Sony Bravia Xbr Kdl 32xbr9 32 Inch Lcd Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page