Samsung Panels In Mitsubishi TVs - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 14 Old 02-01-2010, 12:00 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 22
I know my Mitsubishi LT 46149 has a 10 bit 120hz Samsung LCD module in it because it had to be replaced. I just wondered how that worked. Is this a Mitsubishi design and Samsung built it for them? Or did Samsung use this in their TVs too and Mitsubishi just did the processing unit? I do know its the weakest links with so many problems Mitsubishi had to double the warranty length on several models. Its the vertical line problem that mine had at about 1 year.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 02-01-2010, 12:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Mitsubishi does not manufacture LCD panels Samsung does (S-LCD Does more specifically)

Mitsubishi is obviously sourcing the panel in your TV from Samsung. the main board and power supply etc. is more than likely not made by Samsung

If you're a gamer or interested in using an LCD TV as a primary monitor take a look at my thread on Input Lag
post #3 of 14 Old 02-01-2010, 12:22 AM - Thread Starter

So I guess all those bad panels get shipped back eventually to Samsung to be refurbed. The part cost on the invoice was as much as a new LCD and both me and the repairman wondered why bother with the added expense of paying him to do a service call, why not just swap out a new TV. Anyway. Yeah. I am kinda torn on what my next TV will be. I liked Mitsubishi's customer service, I had my TV fixed in a week. But my LG has not had a picture problem. Unfortunately my Mitsubishi is not 3D ready so I might be pulling the trigger on a new TV in a year or 2 when the dust settles.
post #4 of 14 Old 02-01-2010, 12:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by size14d View Post

So I guess all those bad panels get shipped back eventually to Samsung to be refurbed. The part cost on the invoice was as much as a new LCD and both me and the repairman wondered why bother with the added expense of paying him to do a service call, why not just swap out a new TV. Anyway. Yeah. I am kinda torn on what my next TV will be. I liked Mitsubishi's customer service, I had my TV fixed in a week. But my LG has not had a picture problem. Unfortunately my Mitsubishi is not 3D ready so I might be pulling the trigger on a new TV in a year or 2 when the dust settles.

honestly Mitsubishi ranked as one of the worst TV's reliability wise in LCD's according to consumer reports

Yeah i'm not suprised the panel cost as much as a new TV its often the case these days because of how cheap the new ones are

lastly, no your old Screen will likely be junked, Bad LCD panels are pretty much un-fixable

If you're a gamer or interested in using an LCD TV as a primary monitor take a look at my thread on Input Lag
post #5 of 14 Old 02-01-2010, 12:35 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by frito View Post

honestly Mitsubishi ranked as one of the worst TV's reliability wise in LCD's according to consumer reports

Yeah i'm not suprised the panel cost as much as a new TV its often the case these days because of how cheap the new ones are

lastly, no your old Screen will likely be junked, Bad LCD panels are pretty much un-fixable

Yeah, I know they were among the worse. The Samsung Panels on several models developed a vertical line sometimes red, sometimes green, sometimes only lasted for 20 minutes. Mitsubishi's customer support was excellent. They fixed my set out of warranty and without a receipt. So the bad Mitsubishi reliability was because of Samsung. And if they are just trashing the panels and not stripping them down for components, they are paying a ton on freight because the panel that I got had shipping papers to return the bad panel to Mitsubishi, I think in California. Maybe they need to ship them back to Samsung for credit. I mean, they had to double warranties to 2 years because of this problem. They must be asking Samsung for some money to cover all these bad panels they are replacing. And the model I had a problem with is not even among the ones they are extending the warranty on. In fact, some of the people with the older models listed in the warranty extension were given the model TV I had. They might be in for a surprise when the same problem occurs again.

"If you have one of the following models please read below for an important announcement - LT-40133, LT-40134, LT-46144, LT-46244, LT-52133, LT-52144, LT-52244. It has come to our attention that a limited number of these Premium Flat Panel Televisions may have performance issues related to the LCD Module used in these sets. As part of our commitment to quality and customer satisfaction, MDEA is announcing an extension of the warranty coverage applicable to the LCD Module for the models listed above. For a period of one additional year beyond the one year limited warranty, MDEA will cover the cost of repair or replacing the LCD Module (parts and labor) at no charge to you. All other terms and conditions of the MDEA limited warranty will continue to apply."
post #6 of 14 Old 02-01-2010, 12:42 AM
AVS Special Member

well that is definately good that mitsu took care of you

if it was a Samsung you would have been SOL

Samsung has been known to give customers still in warranty a hard time with repairs

post #7 of 14 Old 02-01-2010, 06:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
"limited number of Mits w/bad panels" LOL. We must be the only shop in town doing them because we have fixed a bunch of these, some even twice. What's odd is not many of them sold, they were way overpriced. These sets use "Mits guts" similar to what they put in DLP TV's (that's why they are 2x as thick as most LCD tv's) The guts never fail, it's always the panel.

Samsung makes panel for a lot of others but the panels are different than what they put in their own sets.
post #8 of 14 Old 02-01-2010, 12:01 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Servicetech571 View Post

"limited number of Mits w/bad panels" LOL. We must be the only shop in town doing them because we have fixed a bunch of these, some even twice. What's odd is not many of them sold, they were way overpriced. These sets use "Mits guts" similar to what they put in DLP TV's (that's why they are 2x as thick as most LCD tv's) The guts never fail, it's always the panel.

Samsung makes panel for a lot of others but the panels are different than what they put in their own sets.

You gotta pay extra for great customer service. I actually got mine free in exchange for a review, but I was sweating about calling service with no receipt. BTW, the on I have has the Unisen Sound Bar. Anyway,the guy that serviced mine said he had done a few, lol. I locked right into him talking about Samsung and how they mistreat their customers. He was like, the customers take it out on me, I don't work for Samsung! He suggested NOT paying way over the average amount for an LCD because in 5-7 years something may happen, and either the part will be more then a TV or it will be unavailable. I am avoiding Samsung until I start reading great things about their customer service and product longevity in vast numbers. Oldest LCDs I have are a Sharp Aqius SD 20" 4:3 in my conversion van that I have never had a problem with and a 30" Olivea that has a subtle vertical band that is a difference brightness then the surround picture. Both are 6 years old. The Samsung LCD Module made it to 1 year.
post #9 of 14 Old 02-01-2010, 12:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 43
It is a little tricky deciding on Samsung right now although they do an enormous amount of advertising and no matter how or where you shop, Samsungs are abundant. It is also tricky considering that in the Consumer Reports reliability survey, only 3 % of Samsung LCD owners reported needing repairs on sets purchased between 2006 and mid-2009.

The 3% repair rate compares with an 11% repair rate for Mitsubishi LCDs purchased during the same 2006 to mid-2009.

Mitsubishi is rated the worst in LCD reliability.

Mitsubishi DLPs are not great either.

Interestingly enough, Vizio LCDs are at only 3% also.
post #10 of 14 Old 02-01-2010, 01:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by spyboy View Post

It is a little tricky deciding on Samsung right now although they do an enormous amount of advertising and no matter how or where you shop, Samsungs are abundant. It is also tricky considering that in the Consumer Reports reliability survey, only 3 % of Samsung LCD owners reported needing repairs on sets purchased between 2006 and mid-2009.

The 3% repair rate compares with an 11% repair rate for Mitsubishi LCDs purchased during the same 2006 to mid-2009.

Mitsubishi is rated the worst in LCD reliability.

Mitsubishi DLPs are not great either.

Interestingly enough, Vizio LCDs are at only 3% also.

Not to start an argument or anything, but "sets purchased between 2006 and mid-2009" doesn't include many 09/10 models that would have been introduced starting around mid March of 09.

There is the possibility that the Samsung panels going into the Mitsubishi sets are/were built to different specs than those going into Samsung's own sets.

Auto mfgs. outsource almost everything on the car except the engine block these days, and each has their own specs and quality control standards that they contract the supplier to adhere to. Often similar parts from the same supplier will have different quality standards depending on the demands of the auto mfg. purchasing the parts. I don't doubt that the electronics industry runs pretty much the same way.

Steve S.
post #11 of 14 Old 02-01-2010, 02:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve S View Post

Not to start an argument or anything, but "sets purchased between 2006 and mid-2009" doesn't include many 09/10 models that would have been introduced starting around mid March of 09.

There is the possibility that the Samsung panels going into the Mitsubishi sets are/were built to different specs than those going into Samsung's own sets.

Auto mfgs. outsource almost everything on the car except the engine block these days, and each has their own specs and quality control standards that they contract the supplier to adhere to. Often similar parts from the same supplier will have different quality standards depending on the demands of the auto mfg. purchasing the parts. I don't doubt that the electronics industry runs pretty much the same way.

That's why I started by saying "It's a little tricky deciding on Samsung right now..."

Non-hobbiests are buying Samsungs in huge numbers. They don't read AV forums and get scared-off by recent problems, like the capacitor issue.
post #12 of 14 Old 02-01-2010, 04:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by size14d View Post

You gotta pay extra for great customer service. I actually got mine free in exchange for a review, but I was sweating about calling service with no receipt. BTW, the on I have has the Unisen Sound Bar. Anyway,the guy that serviced mine said he had done a few, lol. I locked right into him talking about Samsung and how they mistreat their customers. He was like, the customers take it out on me, I don't work for Samsung! He suggested NOT paying way over the average amount for an LCD because in 5-7 years something may happen, and either the part will be more then a TV or it will be unavailable. I am avoiding Samsung until I start reading great things about their customer service and product longevity in vast numbers. Oldest LCDs I have are a Sharp Aqius SD 20" 4:3 in my conversion van that I have never had a problem with and a 30" Olivea that has a subtle vertical band that is a difference brightness then the surround picture. Both are 6 years old. The Samsung LCD Module made it to 1 year.

I 100% agree, buying top of the line really is a suckers game. You can buy an entry level set of the same brand for about 1/2 the money and the picture looks almost as good on most source material. In the 2009+ models there is little value in the high end sets.
post #13 of 14 Old 02-01-2010, 05:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Servicetech571 View Post

I 100% agree, buying top of the line really is a suckers game. You can buy an entry level set of the same brand for about 1/2 the money and the picture looks almost as good on most source material. In the 2009+ models there is little value in the high end sets.

yep i agree as well

my thought process is buy a good brand set

go 60hz if you really do not care about motion enhancement

if you like to have motion enhancement then get the bottom of the line 120hz model

once you go higher than those models your paying for almost no improvement in picture and maybe just a slimmer TV

post #14 of 14 Old 09-25-2012, 10:47 PM - Thread Starter

Well, the replaced panel is now doing the red, green line that goes away after 20 minutes of the defective Samsung panels in the models with extended warranties I mentioned in the first post. Sigh. 2 year life span. I guess I am going with a long term warranty like the service man suggested and even said he thought hey must be in trouble with all the TVs they were paying to replace. I am not going with Samsung though. Maybe LG or Sharp. Or one of the huge Mitsubishi DLPs.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page