Screen Gets Cropped When I use HDMI Cable - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 02-01-2010, 09:35 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just bought a 52" Samsung Flat Panel TV - 120 Hz, 1080P

I connected the TV with the Cable Box via an HDMI cable. The TV screen got cropped on the right and left sides and show black borders.

But, when I connected the TV with Cable Box via a regular cable (which I was using for my old TV), the picture did not crop.

Is this an issue with the HDMI cable, TV or Cable Box? And, How do I resolve this issue?

Thanks,
Anish
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 02-01-2010, 10:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 19
theres not problem. what you are seeing is 4x3 content. your tv puts the black bars on the sides to keep the aspect ratio, so people dont look extremely fat on the screen. if you tune to an HD channel, you will find they will usually go away, unless the station is broadcasting a 4x3 show on their 16x9 channel.

if you really want to get rid of the bars, which i would suggest not doing because it stretches the picture, you can use the tv's remote, and look for a "wide" or "aspect ratio" button, and keep hitting it until the picture is stretched.
post #3 of 5 Old 02-01-2010, 11:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
To add to sitlet's response, do you have the cable box set to output HD resolutions and are you seeing bars when watching HD content? Try ESPNHD, shouldn't ever see any there. They put their own bars up with ESPN on them when showing back SD content.

Matt
Please don't PM me with technical questions that should be posted in the forum.
post #4 of 5 Old 02-04-2010, 02:51 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
I see the borders when I connect my cable box with TV via an HDMI cable. I don't see the borders when I connect the cable box with TV via a regular cable. I dont see the borders when I play XBox or watch DVD.

I called up TimeWarnerCable and they asked me to stretch the picture via an option on their cable box.
post #5 of 5 Old 02-04-2010, 04:45 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Your TV will set and save It's pictiure/size or aspect ratio settings separatly for each resolution received over each iterface connection.
You need to make sure that your STB is set to output either 720p or 1080i to a 16:9 aspect ratio display when receiving 16:9 aspect ratio program content. And that it is set to output 480i or 480p content to a 16:9 aspect ratio display when receiving 4:3 aspect ratio content.
With your old TV you were outputing 4:3 aspect ratio content regardless of the resoltuon of the source program and if your old TV was as 4:3 aspect ration TV not cropping was required.
If you are only watching analog or SD digial channels and not any HD digital channels with your STB then side pillers will always be required unless you stretch the their 4:3. aspect ratio with your TV settins
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays