Samsung Buyers Beware - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 02-03-2010, 07:27 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 19
My 81 year old father purchased a brand new 40" Samsung LN-T4065F on 9-17-07. The TV worked flawlessly for the first 26 months. In January 2010 the TV began to develop pixeled looking strips 1-2" long @ 10 different locations on the screen. Within a couple of days the TV became difficult to turn on taking numerous attempts. The TV finally passed away on 2-01-10 of power failure. My research thru AVS has discovered a long ongoing issue with Samsung installing defective capacitors in their LCD TVs. I brought this to their attention only for them to say tough luck, deal with it your warranty has expired. CONSUMERS BEWARE... If you do not mind paying for a warranty which protects us from a supposedly Reputable Company which installs cheaper defective components in their LCD TVS then continue to purchase from Samsung. Their Reliablity in my opinion leaves alot to be desired and their customer service attitude is pathetic!!!! I have already returned 2 defective LN52a750 TV's last year only to settle for their Plasma PN50A650 which so far has been a phenominal product. My hope is that it lasts longer than 26 months. Only time will tell.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-03-2010, 08:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Unfortunately, at this time none of the HD tv lines is problem free. Neither is anything else by the way. You should call Samsung back and request Executive Customer Service as the problem your father has is a well known issue and with enuf encouragement they may approve an out of warranty repair. But anyway, the part isn't so overly expensive that you might want to consider repair rather than throwing the tv away.

Below is a link to how to repair it in case you may be interested:

http://www.crovean.net/samsung-lcd-tv-power-up-problem
Old 02-03-2010, 09:32 AM

Liked: 10
I agree you should call back and demand to talk to the ECS department. I am actually dealing with them right now. I have a LNT-4071f and the LCD panel started failing at about 22mo. I called their regular customer service and they said "I have heard of problem before but because you are out of warranty your on your own, but if you would like to order the replacement panel I can help with that". I wasn't happy with that answer so I emailed their tech support and they thought I had a valid argument and to call back and talk to the ECS department which I did. Well after talking with an ECS rep. Samsung has agreed to pay for the parts, (over $1000) if I pay for the labor of 1 of their Authorized service centers.

So my advice is to call back.

SS-
Old 02-03-2010, 09:37 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 531 Post(s)
Liked: 698
Quote:
Originally Posted by mes444 View Post

Unfortunately, at this time none of the HD tv lines is problem free. Neither is anything else by the way.

Their all made by humans, no matter what make, model, or date it was made matters. An item is imperfect and can fail
Old 02-03-2010, 09:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Just an anecdotal story and statistically menaingless. Every manufacturer has problems
Old 02-03-2010, 10:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by omeletpants View Post

Just an anecdotal story and statistically menaingless. Every manufacturer has problems

Translation: I'm a huge Samsung fanboy and will dispute anything negative you have to say about any of their fine products.

AVS is about people sharing their experiences - good and bad.

The problem he points out is a well known one for Samsung. Panasonic has similar issues with some of their plasma sets, Sony with their early LCD sets developing color blobs, etc.

Nobody has statistics on failure rates - except for perhaps the manufacturer - and they ain't talking.
Old 02-03-2010, 10:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aydu View Post

Translation: I'm a huge Samsung fanboy and will dispute anything negative you have to say about any of their fine products.

AVS is about people sharing their experiences - good and bad.

The problem he points out is a well known one for Samsung. Panasonic has similar issues with some of their plasma sets, Sony with their early LCD sets developing color blobs, etc.

Nobody has statistics on failure rates - except for perhaps the manufacturer - and they ain't talking.

When did I mention Samsung? I said "every manufacturer". Work on your reading comprehension.
Old 02-03-2010, 10:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 114
I'm just glad Toyota doesn't make TVs.
Old 02-03-2010, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoilerJim View Post

I'm just glad Toyota doesn't make TVs.

Or... the more time that passes the more potential for increasing failures. Samsung might soon have to do the unavoidable, and do a 'Toyota.' Admit to a problem. These are not sheer statistical anomalies or coincidences. The obvious big difference in Samsung's case is thankfully no one's life is at stake.
Old 02-03-2010, 10:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Samsung has agreed to repair many common problems out of warranty, DLP light tunnels, white specks from failing dlp chips, with enough complaining they've repaired DMD board failures, etc. Sony has done similar with the optical block problems. And I'm sure others have as well.

Why start some "fan boy" comments when none are necessary. We are discussing a problem and trying to help OP.

Samsung's Executive Customer Service (ECR) is where to take a problem you know from research is common. They are the ones who may help. The front line Customer Service exists to get rid of you or refer you to service you pay for.

None of the manufacturers are perfect, some are responsive with a little pressure, some will never do anything. Samsung is among the ones who will do reasonable things if you call ECR. Just a fact, not an endorsement or fan club member.
Old 02-03-2010, 11:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by mes444 View Post

Samsung has agreed to repair many common problems out of warranty, DLP light tunnels, white specks from failing dlp chips, with enough complaining they've repaired DMD board failures, etc. Sony has done similar with the optical block problems. And I'm sure others have as well.

Why start some "fan boy" comments when none are necessary. We are discussing a problem and trying to help OP.

Samsung's Executive Customer Service (ECR) is where to take a problem you know from research is common. They are the ones who may help. The front line Customer Service exists to get rid of you or refer you to service you pay for.

None of the manufacturers are perfect, some are responsive with a little pressure, some will never do anything. Samsung is among the ones who will do reasonable things if you call ECR. Just a fact, not an endorsement or fan club member.

Hell, don't blame me for fanning the flames. I have two Samsungs & love them. I was just having fun, but apparently some people can't take a joke!
Old 02-03-2010, 12:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by madpressman66 View Post

Samsung Buyers Beware

I believe there is a similar thread here for every brand. Welcome to the club.

Fortunately for us tech-savvy users, bad caps are easy enuff to fix.
Old 02-03-2010, 01:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 43
There is an expression that goes back ~470 years before the advent of Samsung, and LCD TVs.

Caveat Emptor:

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dicti...aveat%20emptor
Old 02-03-2010, 02:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 46
To the OP: how much money was saved by not purchasing the extended warranty on the tv?

Steve S.
Old 02-03-2010, 02:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve S View Post

To the OP: how much money was saved by not purchasing the extended warranty on the tv?

I'm going to let you in on a little secret:

Extended warranties have a 90% profit margin (for the seller). Why do you think that stores push them so hard

I make it a practice to always take the advice of Sears salesmen
Old 02-03-2010, 03:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by spyboy View Post

I'm going to let you in on a little secret:

Extended warranties have a 90% profit margin (for the seller). Why do you think that stores push them so hard

I make it a practice to always take the advice of Sears salesmen

Gee, Spy, sorry to have even spoken. I know that because I sell tvs for a living that I am subhuman and therefore should never venture out from under my rock.

The OP knew when he bought the set that the mfg. wty was 1 year, no doubt he was offered an option to extend that and passed, now he's got a doorstop or an expensive repair on the horizon. He didn't even have to purchase a plan from his greedy retailer, there are reliable outfits like Mack that sell them cheaper.

Of course since only 3% of Samsung tvs need repairs in the first 5 years according to Consumer reports this can't be a widespread enough problem for Samsung to be expected to do anything for the OP out of warranty--too bad.

Don't tell Sears but I've even been known to tell customers they can get cheaper extended warranties elsewhere and damn good cables from Monoprice.

Yes, retailers make a handsome profit on extended warrantys, just as Geico makes a handsome profit on car insurance. With slim profit margins on merchandise due to internet competition B&M stores gotta make money somewhere. If they didn't they'd go out of business and shoppers would have no place to go to look at tvs before ordering them from Amazon.

Steve S.
Old 02-03-2010, 03:33 PM
AVS Special Member

@ Steve S, Sears salesman.

In the December 20th, 2004 issue of Business Week the following was reported:

"Warranties cost virtually nothing to market, and the products they insure rarely need repairs. Says FTN Midwest Securities Analyst Daryl Boehringer: "It's just pure profit flowing down to the bottom line."

"Last year, profits from warranties accounted for all of Circuit Citys operating income and almost half of Best Buy's say analysts."

Old 02-03-2010, 03:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Well, I had a Samsung in my Volvo 780 for three years, and never had an issue. Who should I blame?
Old 02-03-2010, 05:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:

"Warranties cost virtually nothing to market, and the products they insure rarely need repairs. Says FTN Midwest Securities Analyst Daryl Boehringer: "It's just pure profit flowing down to the bottom line."

"Last year, profits from warranties accounted for all of Circuit Citys operating income and almost half of Best Buy's say analysts."

That's just it. If you asked this question in 2004, I would had completely agree with you.

2010 - quality has gone down since then. We need ANOTHER study.

Maybe TVs are going down the road of printers. They don't make any money of your $50 printer purchase, u pay for it later on ink cartridges$$$. New business model?
Old 02-03-2010, 07:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve S View Post

Gee, Spy, sorry to have even spoken. I know that because I sell tvs for a living that I am subhuman and therefore should never venture out from under my rock.

The OP knew when he bought the set that the mfg. wty was 1 year, no doubt he was offered an option to extend that and passed, now he's got a doorstop or an expensive repair on the horizon. He didn't even have to purchase a plan from his greedy retailer, there are reliable outfits like Mack that sell them cheaper.

Of course since only 3% of Samsung tvs need repairs in the first 5 years according to Consumer reports this can't be a widespread enough problem for Samsung to be expected to do anything for the OP out of warranty--too bad.

Don't tell Sears but I've even been known to tell customers they can get cheaper extended warranties elsewhere and damn good cables from Monoprice.

Yes, retailers make a handsome profit on extended warrantys, just as Geico makes a handsome profit on car insurance. With slim profit margins on merchandise due to internet competition B&M stores gotta make money somewhere. If they didn't they'd go out of business and shoppers would have no place to go to look at tvs before ordering them from Amazon.

BS on the 3% of TV's. If there are 97 working Samsung's for every 3 I fix, a LOT of people bough these things.
Old 02-03-2010, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by omeletpants View Post

When did I mention Samsung? I said "every manufacturer". Work on your reading comprehension.

what he said was perfectly relevant to your statement. Work on your reading comprehension...
Old 02-03-2010, 08:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Servicetech571 View Post

BS on the 3% of TV's. If there are 97 working Samsung's for every 3 I fix, a LOT of people bough these things.

how would you rank the brands as far as most commonly worked on to least, feel free to mention if there are certian brands that you don't service at all etc

I'm just curious

If you're a gamer or interested in using an LCD TV as a primary monitor take a look at my thread on Input Lag
Old 02-03-2010, 08:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by frito View Post

how would you rank the brands as far as most commonly worked on to least, feel free to mention if there are certian brands that you don't service at all etc

i'm just curious

+1
Old 02-04-2010, 12:55 AM

Quote:

Well said. My advice has always been this: If you can afford the consequences of not having the insurance coverage, you don't need the coverage. This holds true of any extended warranty coverage that is offered to you. I have insurance on my automobile because I cannot afford the consequences if I were to have an accident. I can afford a failure of my television by fixing it or buying a new one that will be lower in price.

Those who think they know everything annoy those of us who do.
Old 02-04-2010, 06:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by frito View Post

I'm just curious

Several brands are having the cap problem, it's not just a Samsung thing. Sets are mostly 2008 and earlier models.

IMHO quality has improved across the board for 2009, most brands are making more reliable stuff. Early adopters kind of got the shaft on the LCD/Plasma, paid way too much before all the kinks were worked out.

5 Brands I like are:
LG
Sony
Panasonic
Samsung
Sharp
Old 02-04-2010, 08:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duppyman View Post

what he said was perfectly relevant to your statement. Work on your reading comprehension...

Nope, try again
Old 02-04-2010, 08:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Servicetech571 View Post

Several brands are having the cap problem, it's not just a Samsung thing. Sets are mostly 2008 and earlier models.

IMHO quality has improved across the board for 2009, most brands are making more reliable stuff. Early adopters kind of got the shaft on the LCD/Plasma, paid way too much before all the kinks were worked out.

5 Brands I like are:
LG
Sony
Panasonic
Samsung
Sharp

Aren't the brands you like the best, the brands that fail and give you service work?
Old 02-16-2010, 07:30 PM

Samsung has agreed to repair my LN32a330jid set for free. Even though it is out of warranty. It looks to have the blown capacitor problem as well. The rep told me they didn't put the correct ones in initially and that's the problem. I hope it is because my TV only lasted a year and a half before it blew.

I'm not snobbish and uninformed.
Old 02-17-2010, 02:28 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by robotec View Post

Samsung has agreed to repair my LN32a330jid set for free. Even though it is out of warranty. It looks to have the blown capacitor problem as well. The rep told me they didn't put the correct ones in initially and that's the problem. I hope it is because my TV only lasted a year and a half before it blew.

What number did you call? I having the same on off problem too.....

So are these folks too........http://www.consumeraffairs.com/home_...amsung_tv.html

3% my butt.
Old 02-17-2010, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wgerman View Post

What number did you call? I having the same on off problem too.....

So are these folks too........http://www.consumeraffairs.com/home_...amsung_tv.html

3% my butt.

I called the main customer service number listed in the manual. You have to complain to the customer service rep, then she passes you over to another group that actually does something about it.

I'm not snobbish and uninformed.