Considering Samsung UN55B8000 & 8500. Advice? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 14 Old 02-05-2010, 07:58 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I currently have a Samsung LN-T5265F (52" Samsung LCD) and it is starting to drive me nuts. It has over time developed an issue that upon initial turn-on after being cool for a while, it "tries to turn on" multiple times before finally being successful. If you have the power on sound enabled, it plays it every time it tries to turn on. After 4 or 5 tries, it finally manages to turn on. Sometimes after the power it on though, I get what I can best describe as "live pixels" (rather than dead pixels) that are stuck white at random parts on the screen that look like stars. All I have to do is turn it off and turn it back on and the problem usually resolves itself.

Most of what I have read about this has hinted at a power supply problem, but I'm considering replacing it with either the UN55B8000 or the 8500, and I'm pretty torn. I have read the forums and my hesitance on the 8000 is the fact that it's edge lit and the issues with clouding and light / dark edges has me a little spooked. It seems that some people report it being a huge issue on multiple models they have purchased (after replacing one 8000 with another 8000) and others report no issues and resounding happiness with the set. I don't know if the people reporting no issues either don't know what they're looking for or aren't picky enough to care that it exists. I realize that the 8500 is a back lit display with local dimming that would prevent this, but the premium over the price of the 8000 is a little hard to swallow if the concerns with the 8000 are less common than what complaints would suggest (the "squeaky wheel gets the grease" phenomenon).

Now I know people are going to suggest Plasma, but I'm a fan of LCDs mainly because of their power draw. While I'm no tree hugger by any means, when I was shopping around for the purchase of my 45" Aquos (which is still alive and kicking in our bedroom by the way), the power consumption of the LCD was almost half that of its plasma contender of choice. I ultimately chose it based on power consumption and the fact that the higher end LCDs had better blacks than the lower quality LCDs. I would still like to stick with a lower power device (which is one thing I like about the Samsung LED TVs), but the slimness of the LED TVs is something I find very attractive as I think it adds a sense of class to the room. Say what you want about aesthetics, but anyone who tells you it's not important is lying. Low on the priority list? Perhaps - but it's still important.

Is my reticence regarding the 8000 unfounded? Should I spring for the 8500? Or is there perhaps something else I'm not considering?

Sorry for the long post. I appreciate any insight, suggestions, and / or recommendations. Thanks for sticking with me this far. Punch and pie will now be served in the reception room.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 02-06-2010, 05:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 106
Since your so concerned with Energy measurements get a look at this chart by CNET Energy Efficiency Guide doing recent measurements.

http://reviews.cnet.com/green-tech/t...tBody;nextPage

Hold on and consider the newer 2010 Sony LED's and Sharp LED's arriving in the weeks/months ahead also.

I see your point with the 8500 as it's likely best of class of most panels but it's price differential is hard to swallow unless your OCD and demand the best of the best even if it's a grand more. I believe the Sharp 700U is about the most cost effective and least user of energy. The new ones arriving will be energy star 4.0 and Sony is using Sharp panels on many of their new LEDs arriving later this month and some Sonystyle stores have them available for viewing.

Sharp LC-46LE700UN LCD 46 - default cost per year $21.94 calibrated cost per year $13.83

Samsung 65F8000, 60D8000, 40HU6350, Panasonic 50E60 LCD's
post #3 of 14 Old 02-06-2010, 11:53 AM

Looking at the chart you have to be more concerned about the "Watts Per Square Inch" figure. Comparing a 46" tv to a 55" tv is not a fair comparison. The Sharp is indeed a less power using tv, but if picture quality is a concern there is no comparison. People who buy the b8500 would/should never be cross shopping the sharp 700Un or the samsung b8000.

The b8500 is hands down the best LCD you can buy right now. If money is a concern the direct competitors would be the LG LHX, Sony xbr8, LG lh90/Vizio XVT, and Toshiba 670U (listed imho from best to worst). The big standout of the competitors would probably be the lh90, due to its low price point.
post #4 of 14 Old 02-06-2010, 12:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 194
Edge Lit LCDs should be against the law.
post #5 of 14 Old 02-15-2010, 06:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 42
I have an edge list Samsung 8000. The 46 inch
This TV us being used in a bedroom...I will tell you that I got it for a relative "fire sale" when my Best Buy was blowing out their open box inventory

a few things

1. I am very satisfied with the TV...I updated the firmware via the internet when I started to use it and all is good
2. I would not have paid the Best Buy regular "sale price"....to me you could buy the B750 for several hundred dollars less and have a top rated LCD...but its 3x as thick..if that matters
Depending on what you are willing to pay for the "cool" factor..it may be worth it for you
3. The TV is very cool

I was looking at the rating an earlier poster made on the LED TV's
I haven't seen the Vizio...but I have seen the the others
I am not sure how impressed I am with the LG...the price is very good..however it still has that "blocky" picture quality where..for me...you can never get to be sharp enough

The Sony XBR8 is quite a TV...right next to the Samsung IMO
I would place the Toshiba ahead of the LG
The Samsung 8500 is in a class by itself..with regard to LCD's

Rm 1 Samsung 64F8500 Onkyo 5508 prepro Sherbourn 5/1500A amp Atlantic technology System 350 THX Ultra speakers
Rm 2 LG 47LE8500 Pioneer SC37 Celestion 305 speaker system
Rm 3 Samsung 51E8000 Yamaha A2010 Kef 2005.2 speaker system
Rm 4 Panasonic 50ST50 Onkyo 5009/906 Mirage Omni sat speaker system
post #6 of 14 Old 03-03-2010, 08:43 PM
Advanced Member

A whole thread about the Samsung UN55B8500 vs. the UN55B8000? Went down to Best Buy tonight, and compared these two top Samsungs in the store; only it was hard because they are not side by side. Both are 240 Hz. I guess one is edge lit and the other is backlit... is that a big deal? exterior is pretty much identical.... they looked very close to me in PQ, they want about $600 more for the 8500, is it worth it or not?
post #7 of 14 Old 03-03-2010, 10:24 PM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaDude View Post

A whole thread about the Samsung UN55B8500 vs. the UN55B8000? Went down to Best Buy tonight, and compared these two top Samsungs in the store; only it was hard because they are not side by side. Both are 240 Hz. I guess one is edge lit and the other is backlit... is that a big deal? exterior is pretty much identical.... they looked very close to me in PQ, they want about $600 more for the 8500, is it worth it or not?

Oh yeah, the back-lit LCD is what you want. If you have the money to go for the 8500, do it! I swear I have dreams about that t.v. since I saw it in person a week ago. Back-lit is where you want to be for best PQ and deep blacks. And yes to me it is worth the extra $600. The 8500 is in a class by itself.
post #8 of 14 Old 03-04-2010, 08:26 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSteel View Post

Oh yeah, the back-lit LCD is what you want. If you have the money to go for the 8500, do it! I swear I have dreams about that t.v. since I saw it in person a week ago. Back-lit is where you want to be for best PQ and deep blacks. And yes to me it is worth the extra $600. The 8500 is in a class by itself.

Hahaa you're dreaming about it, too funny!!!
Okay thanks but why is the back-lit so important,
to me they looked pretty close maybe identical; the sales guy at BB said in his opinion the 8000 was the same PQ, and the 8500 was overkill...
I have seen comments about "CLOUDING" on the 8000, can someone explain that to me, or maybe direct me to an article about it?

I am seeing discussions about "crop circles" on the 8500 here:
http://forums.cnet.com/5208-13973_10...rum-w;forums06

And "clouding" on the 8000 here:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1174550

Maybe I should buy a Sony?????
post #9 of 14 Old 03-04-2010, 09:12 AM

Crop circles has been fixed with a firmware update, so you can eliminate it from your research.
post #10 of 14 Old 03-04-2010, 09:49 AM
Advanced Member

KTHNKS, what about the clouding, is that a big problem on these products?
post #11 of 14 Old 03-04-2010, 12:53 PM

I have been looking at, researching, looking more, asking questions, etc... about the 8000 and 8500 and I keep seeing the same issue over and over again... The uneven light in a darker scenes seems to be a major problem. I want to love this line of LCDs but I can not bring myself to buying it. It is said when there is letterbox movies or a scene with dark and light (bright moon at night) whenever it is black you can see the light shining out of the corners. Lots of people really complained about this. So, I may wait for the second gen to come out or possibly buy a Sony 52xbr9 or a 55ex500. Up until now I was always a Sammy guy though... I am trying to keep it at or under 2k and I watch movies and I am a modest gamer and I am so confused because I want a Samsung LED so bad but I just know it's wrong... \\
post #12 of 14 Old 03-08-2010, 05:58 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Definitely no crop circles on my unit.

Quite pleased with the 8000 all around. I only have a few small complaints.

Samsung has actually stopped selling the 8000 as you won't even see it on their website any longer. Only the 8500 is there.

1. I have my HT in a very bright living room which makes watching some movies difficult. Especially the dark and dreary horror or scifi flicks. So I save those movies for night time viewing.

2. With AMP 240Hz set to Smooth. The edges are supersharp, but I notice what I call the "pressure bubble" around people and objects as the camera pans in certain scenes. I call it a pressure bubble if you've ever seen a fighter jet breaking the sound barrier, there's a built up "bubble" of air pressure around it. You can see this on people moving in certain scenes based on the panning. If you shut off AMP 240 or to a less smooth setting, this does not happen. However you don't have the super sharp edges.
post #13 of 14 Old 03-08-2010, 06:27 PM
Advanced Member

I picked up an 8500 over the weekend; if you get the chance to watch Transformers 2 on Blu-Ray with this TV \\make sure you do it. You will not soon forget it, I can tell you that... the color and depth of the blacks is stunning; Samsung definitely raised the bar with these sets.
post #14 of 14 Old 03-22-2010, 11:06 AM

I've had it for about a month now and I'm constantly amazed at how good the picture is. If we go out to eat and look at the TVs at the restaurant or see TV at someone else's house and then watch ours again when we get home, there's no comparison. This Samsung TV is almost like a window that you could reach through and grab the things you're looking at. I also have Blu-Ray and that's where you can really see the quality and clarity of the picture. I've never seen anything like 'ghosting' but as I understand it things like that are generally bandwidth issues of the cable and/or broadcasting company rather than issues with the TV itself.
Before I bought it I was driving myself crazy reading reviews about the available TVs. They were full of scientific measurements and terms like 'depth of blackness', 'dejudder capabilities' and stuff like that. If you buy this TV you'll forget everything you read, your jaw will drop and you'll see a picture that will be even better than what you expected. Let your eyes make the decision and choose the Samsung. You'll be glad you did.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page