I have a Fix for LG TV's that won't turn on - Page 3 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #61 of 81 Old 10-31-2012, 10:14 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
do you have a fix that will make a LG 26LH250C stay turned on always?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 81 Old 11-01-2012, 04:16 AM

Hi All,

I have a 3 year old LCD HD Flat screen TV, about 6 months ago it started playing up while turning the tv on. A similar problem to what many people are having, where we switch the tv on, the blue light comes on along with the picture and the sound and then it switches itself back off and the red light comes on flashing. At first we did what everyone has done and that is switch the tv off at the mains for about 30 seconds and switch it back on, and this worked for a little while.

A short time later it was switching itself off more and more and it was taking approx an hour to get the tv to stay on until recently it just went off with the red light staying on and wouldnt do anything else. After looking online i also discovered that this was a common problem mostly caused by capacitors.

I took the back off the tv and noticed 6 bulging capacitors 4 with a black substance leaked out of the top. I de-soldered them, noted their values and bought exact replacements in terms of uF and temperature but with a slightly higher voltage as i discovered that many manufacturers of tv's fitted capacitors designed with a shelf life due to not being enough voltage to cope for long.

I de-soldered the circuit board where i took the capacitors out so that i could fit the replacement parts and did that last night, I replaced the plugs which connected the circuit board to the other boards which i had previously unplugged to get the board out of the tv.

Once I replaced the board and screwed the back cover back on to the tv i powered it up.

The tv ON light (Blue) came on along with the sound of the channel, it didn't switch off at all. But the screen stayed black, there is no picture. Sometimes when there is a black screen when you first switch on a tv you still see the small display in the top corner indicating the name of the channel (AV for example) but there is nothing.

If anyone else has had this problem i would really appreciate hearing from you if you have a fix for it, or if anyone has any idea of what could be wrong i will be very happy to hear from you. I have thought that it may be a dry joint (bad soldered joint) and have thought of taking them back out again and re soldering them in, but i am hoping someone else might have other ideas as i didnt realise how common a problem this is for people.

I paid £1000 for this tv and i cant afford another like it, and i think to have it repaired would cost me about £400, but i know that it is a part issue which would probably cost under £10 to buy and have delivered and fit myself. I cant afford £400 either!

Please help!

If you can help me, please feel free to email me on LLYRSMITH@AOL.COM

Thank you
post #63 of 81 Old 11-19-2012, 04:47 AM

Thats your inverters dude. should be able to find some of these on ebay
post #64 of 81 Old 11-25-2012, 03:07 PM

OK..I have an LG 42lb5df LCD TV.
I connected to the RS232 and am receiving the following items

=================================
SC_ASSERT(FALSE)
(0 hour, 0 min, 3 Sec)

File : NVMDB_DDI.c
Func : DDI_NVMDB_InitSysDB
Line : 293
Task : ROOT
=================================

To me this is a boot error. It will try to boot indefinitely. Because I cant get to the "mstar#" notification, I can't reload the Firmware.

Anybody out there got any ideas?

Thx!!smile.gif
post #65 of 81 Old 12-16-2012, 10:56 AM - Thread Starter

@violatchr
That is exactly the problem my 2nd tutorial fixes. The 2 resistors used basically send a signal to force the tv to boot up and bypass errors like that. See the first post of this thread.
post #66 of 81 Old 12-21-2012, 07:57 PM

@electrobit....
Thanks for your response. I have tried the"fix". On P201 I have 2ea "5Vs" pins(pin 8 & 3). I have 1ea "pwr_on" and no "inv_on" pin. I am assuming that the "inv_on" pin is on P201. There are times that the inverters do fire up BUT I still am getting the same error code. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
post #67 of 81 Old 12-27-2012, 01:37 PM

OMG, I totally don't get all that techno stuff you posted. My little LG tv takes about an hour to come on after turning it on. I don't know what to do, and I don't understand your post...now what?
post #68 of 81 Old 12-28-2012, 07:55 AM

now you have to call a repairman?
post #69 of 81 Old 01-03-2013, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by electrobit View Post

I decided to upload it to rapidshare instead. This firmware is only for north american tvs and is a different version than 4.30.1. It works for sure as I've installed it on my tv and tested it. Heres the link:
http://rapidshare.com/files/409407126/LG_DTV_LH20.epk

Thanks for the tutorial electrobit.

Does anyone have a working link to a LH firmware? None of the ones posted on this forum are working anymore. I am at the point where I am connected via ZOC and can run the swuz command but I don't have a file to select. I have a 32LH30, with firmware 4.05.00 but would be willing to try 4.30.1 or anything else around that just because my tv can't get any more useless.

Thanks again.
post #70 of 81 Old 01-05-2013, 07:38 AM

Well after days of searching, I was able to find a copy of the 4.30.01 North American firmware and successfully fixed my 32LH30. Thanks again electrobit.

Here is the link: http://www.general-files.com/download/gs50f5f0f0h32i0/LG7J63240W_US_IC102_V4.30.01_flash.zip.html

If this link is dead in the future, feel free to send me a message and I will try to share it somewhere.
post #71 of 81 Old 01-25-2013, 05:46 PM

I've got a LG 32LC46 TV. It was working a treat but then it started to take longer and longer to switch on. Eventually it started to take a whole hour to switch on. I then decided to leave the TV on standby all night instead of turning it on at the mains. Unfortunately it wouldn't come out of standby. I unscrewed the TV and saw 4 bulging capacitors. I ordered a repair kit off ebay that contained the capacitors, solder and desoldering braid. I replaced the bulging capacitors and now the TV is working again! :-) I took a risk as I have never fixed a TV or done any soldering before but the risk paid off and I am happy. The kit cost me £10 plus £10 for the soldering iron. That's £20...a lot cheaper than paying a repair person or buying a new TV. Girl power! ;-)
post #72 of 81 Old 01-28-2013, 02:27 PM

Before trying anything - simply use a hair dryer (set on high heat) over the back panel hole vents for a few moments (may take a couple of goes to dry it out enough) - I did this and too my relief it worked. Problem was a case of fine condensation build up - leave TV on for at least a day to allow it to dry itself out fully. Hope this easy idea works for you too - good luck!
post #73 of 81 Old 04-04-2013, 11:31 AM

It works for me, but is there a way to fix it permanently, so I wouldn't have to blow it every day?

Thanks in advance.
post #74 of 81 Old 04-05-2013, 04:04 PM

Agree! This way is somewhat temperamental - we still have to use the dryer around once a fortnight / month - however, with persistence it's improved.

Try auto tuning all stations/time again - this aids a reset.

Also this might help too - we've moved the set to another (dryer) part of the room plus purchased a room humidity absorbing product.

AND... Don't discount 'crossing your fingers' for luck smile.gif
post #75 of 81 Old 05-07-2013, 04:46 PM

Hi,
I have a mac and dvi/hdmi converter cables can I used this instead or does it have to be a PC?

Thanks!
post #76 of 81 Old 07-10-2013, 10:00 AM

I landed here via Google because of this LG TV problem. I am a bit of a luddite and confused by the instructions. An artist not a techie. Does anyone here live in LA and can help me please?smile.gif
post #77 of 81 Old 08-30-2013, 07:44 AM

Thanks for the help it fixes ours.
post #78 of 81 Old 10-03-2013, 09:19 PM

Hello everybody. I know this post is super old but I have a question a maybe someone can help me. I have a LG 37LG30 with no remote and the power button don't work. I need a solution to turn it on in order to program a universal remote. Already thankful

post #79 of 81 Old 12-01-2013, 03:30 AM

Hello

I would like to thank you for providing the tutorials. I used the second one to start my LG RZ37LZ30 LCD TV. I found one of the flat cables with a 6v 2a supply on one pin - no 5v on this panel. It also had inv.and  pwr 1 on/off and pwr 2 on/off using the 10k resistors I connected the 6v to inv and pwr 1 on/of.

I also had to remove the power relay and loop its contacts. Lo and behold the panel now appears to be working normally.

Do you have any ideas on if the original fault is in the power board? All the electrolytics look ok and checking in situ with a simple meter does not show any faulty ones - I dont have a proper capacitance meter. Also I dont have the power supply diagram. It is a KN-powertek KNP-3800 Rev 9 and part number 6871TPT283A - any idea where I can get sight of the diagram?

If you have any info please let me know.

In the meantime thanks for the usefull pointer to fixing the thing!

regards

post #80 of 81 Old 12-05-2013, 02:54 PM

Hi i have a 32" lg lcd tv that has a start up problem and what i mean is when i turn the tv on i get a white or stripe screen for about 5-10mins till it heats up then the picture is perfect i have no waranty was wondering if anyone knew what maybe wrong with it and is there an easy fix thanks for ur help
post #81 of 81 Old 02-01-2014, 09:30 PM

Hi Electrobit,

I tried Tutorial-1 and did not see the "mstar#" command...assuming that I need to go for 2nd tutorial. However, I could not find 5v pins on my flat cable connector socket (on main board). I only see 4 pins with of 3.5v rating. can I pick any 2 of those 4 pins? or there is another 5v pin somewhere else?

I can send you picture if I can directly contact you through Email.

Thank you

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Lg 47lg90 47 Inch Led Backlit 1080p 120 Hz Hdtv Gloss Piano Black With Blue
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page