Forum Jump: 

post #361 of 737 Old 11-19-2010, 08:50 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkjedi09 View Post

Just plug in your lap top and stream from there. Why make life so difficult?

defeats the purpose of VIA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 737 Old 11-20-2010, 03:09 AM

Liked: 14
I use my laptop on mine (using it right now as a matter of fact) but the VIA stuff is still cool when it works. I was watching Netflix movies thru the laptop when the VIA was getting the sound from that in mono, but now that they've finally fixed that the picture quality seems better than from the computer also.

BTW they added 2 new 'apps' on Thursday- A game called "Music Madness" that asks multiple-choice questions about music (played twice and already had it ask me the same question twice) and another TV station's news, KXAN in Austin TX. Wondering if Hulu will be added soon since it's been hyped recently- though if it's only the pay version, I'm not going to pay for it if it still has commercial interruptions- will just keep watching the free version on my laptop.
post #363 of 737 Old 11-20-2010, 03:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by obi1234 View Post

Since the firmware update my 552 believes it is a 422 - as evidenced from the model number in the system info of help menu.

Also, my Tech Logos reset to On, and I can't find how to disable the tech logos now. First it was the last option under TV Settings and then was changed to Help menu option. Anyone found it again or know how to disable Tech Logos now?
=(

I read a while back someone else had the same problem of the wrong model being identified. He called Vizio and got it fixed, I can't remember right now how they did it.

As far as the Logo, are you talking about the Vizio Logo on the set. I never knew there was a way to turn it off. If you find out, please post. I have the 553 but I would assume it would be the same.

Edit: Wow, looks like the guy I was talking about beat me by 2 minutes.
post #364 of 737 Old 11-20-2010, 11:52 PM

Tech Logo applies to 552 model not your 553. The tech logo is a series of 4 or 5 lights embedded in the clear part of the bar under the panel on the 552 that light up as the set turns on. My TV has that ugly silver bar underneath it.

AFAIK there is no way to turn off the vizio logo - except a tiny strip of black electrical tape.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burnerbum View Post

I read a while back someone else had the same problem of the wrong model being identified. He called Vizio and got it fixed, I can't remember right now how they did it.

As far as the Logo, are you talking about the Vizio Logo on the set. I never knew there was a way to turn it off. If you find out, please post. I have the 553 but I would assume it would be the same.

Edit: Wow, looks like the guy I was talking about beat me by 2 minutes.

post #365 of 737 Old 11-22-2010, 03:46 PM

worldtvpc.com/blog/hulu-opens-doors-hulu-care

blog.hulu.com/tags/hulu-plus

according to these links , Hulu PLUS (paid subscription) will be "coming soon" to Vizio as well as other devices. I'm guessing that this recent press release means that it should be arriving before the year ends??
post #366 of 737 Old 11-22-2010, 05:28 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 82
Quote:

worldtvpc.com/blog/hulu-opens-doors-hulu-care

blog.hulu.com/tags/hulu-plus

according to these links , Hulu PLUS (paid subscription) will be "coming soon" to Vizio as well as other devices. I'm guessing that this recent press release means that it should be arriving before the year ends??

I just had an chat session with Vizio support......

Curtis: I read a news release from Hulu that it will soon be implemented on Vizio TV's. Do you have any info on that?

Vizio: Hulu Plus will be in our 3D blu ray player.

Curtis: ahh...so not on TV's?

Vizio: Not at this time.

-curtis

Owner of Wave Crest Audio
Volunteer Mod at the Ascend Acoustics Forum
Like all things on the Internet, do your research, as forums have a good amount of misinformation.
Help beat breast cancer!

post #367 of 737 Old 11-22-2010, 05:41 PM

Vizio's 'support' people don't know what they're talking about.
post #368 of 737 Old 11-22-2010, 05:56 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8traxrule View Post

Vizio's 'support' people don't know what they're talking about.

Very fair...but do you have better info?

-curtis

Owner of Wave Crest Audio
Volunteer Mod at the Ascend Acoustics Forum
Like all things on the Internet, do your research, as forums have a good amount of misinformation.
Help beat breast cancer!

post #369 of 737 Old 11-22-2010, 06:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked: 118
Hulu Plus just went live on Roku this past week.

Vizio VP322 Plasma / Vizio GV42LF LCD / Denon 2200 Silicon Image DVD / Panasonic S97 Faroudja Genesis DVD / Oppo 970HD Mediatek DVD / Oppo 983H Anchor Bay DVD / Panasonic LX-600 Laserdisc / Aiwa MX100 Multi-region VCR / JVC S7600 S-VHS / PS2 / Sega Genesis / Nintendo SNES / Roku 2 XS & HD-XR / Realistic STA-90 Reciever / Realistic Minimus 7 / Antennacraft G1483 Hoverman / Belden 7915A RG6 / Channel Master 7777 Titan 2 UHF/VHF / Panasonic AX-200u / Optoma Graywolf 92" / Draper Luma 92"
post #370 of 737 Old 11-23-2010, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cschang View Post

I just had an chat session with Vizio support......

Curtis: I read a news release from Hulu that it will soon be implemented on Vizio TV's. Do you have any info on that?

Vizio: Hulu Plus will be in our 3D blu ray player.

Curtis: ahh...so not on TV's?

Vizio: Not at this time.

It makes sense if Hulu becomes available on the TVs as soon as the 3D blu ray player hits the shelf. The question now is; when is the 3D player going to be available?
post #371 of 737 Old 11-23-2010, 06:57 PM

who updates the content on the video channels? Vizio or the channel? Like the PBS channel, who updates that PBS or vizio?
post #372 of 737 Old 11-23-2010, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smitty1258 View Post
who updates the content on the video channels? Vizio or the channel? Like the PBS channel, who updates that PBS or vizio?
PBS holds the reigns on the updates.
post #373 of 737 Old 11-24-2010, 05:53 PM

I have read that there was a recent firmware update to the VIA apps, which among other things enabled Dolby 5.1 audio in the VIA Netflix app. I'm not sure if my M470NV has been updated yet (still looking for info on how to tell for my model). I do know that in the HDTV settings I switched the Digital Output from "PCM" to "Dolby Digital". However, when streaming Netflix content my Onkyo HT receiver still reports that the signal coming from the TV's optical audio out port is PCM, not Dolby. The receiver is doing its own "pseudo" surround sound (Dolby IIz) so it seems that I'm still getting a stereo audio stream from Netflix through my TV.

I'm wondering, do only certain titles in Netflix have surround sound encoding? Or do I just need to wait for Netflix/Vizio to update my TV?
post #374 of 737 Old 11-24-2010, 09:56 PM

Has anyone tried out the new flingo or mediabox apps? Do either let you stream video from a local machine?
post #375 of 737 Old 11-27-2010, 02:51 PM

I am playing with Flingo right now. I'll try to post my progress.

Went to flingo.org - website flung video showed up in Web Video app but played sound only + black screen. Trying to exit app crashed TV required unplug+replug to recover.

Downloading Flingo windows pc app and attempting to fling a video from my laptop. Not sure anything I have is properly encoded...will see. Will make separate post with video requirements from Flingo.org forums post.

Edit: Same result as above, possibly due to firmware identifying tv as 422 not 552 as it should..calling CS to correct now.

UPDATE: CS helped me fix the issue with Model number and I tried to play "Big Buck Bunny" video that flingo has up as a test, same result.
Sound only. Black Screen with a "play" arrow in the far right corner and no control of set - requires unplugging/replugging before I can even turn the set back on.

Update 2: Fling video from the website still plays sound only and no video - then locks up TV requiring reboot. After this behavior happens then no videos on Web Video will play.
I deleted the widget and re-added it and was able to play the video's already there, but trying to fling the Big Buck Bunny video from the flingo.org website seems to add the video multiple times (like 5+) in the queue. If I try to play it...same deal, lock up. So no progress.
Either our firmware update or some glitch on the flingo.org website/player seems to be the culprit.
post #376 of 737 Old 11-27-2010, 02:52 PM

Here are some encoding specs for optimal playback on the Vizio TV's.
http://flingo.org/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=20#p20 direct link

Video Codec: H.264/AVC, Main or High Prole to level 4.1
Audio Codec: AAC+ Level 2, AAC-HE
Containers: mp4, m4v

High Denition
Resolution Supports up to 1080p.
Bitrate Low: 1500 kb/s (if multiple bitrates are available, medium: 2000 kb/s, high: 2500 kb/s)
Please de-interlace content and maintain native framerate.

Standard Denition
Bitrate 1200 kb/s (if multiple encodes are available: medium 1600 kb/s, high:2000 kb/s)
Aspect Ratio Please maintain the native aspect ratio (4:3/16:9) Please crop let-
terboxing/pillarboxing and maintain native framerate.
Please de-interlace content.
post #377 of 737 Old 11-27-2010, 05:37 PM

watching the OSU vs MI game today a vizio commercial with Beyonce (spelling) came on, and on the VIA panel on the TV in the commercial was Hulu + widget, did anyone see this? Im hoping its coming very, very soon!
post #378 of 737 Old 11-30-2010, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smitty1258 View Post
watching the OSU vs MI game today a vizio commercial with Beyonce (spelling) came on, and on the VIA panel on the TV in the commercial was Hulu + widget, did anyone see this? Im hoping its coming very, very soon!
I think a lot of us VIA owners are waiting for the Hulu app. On a previous posting it was mentioned that the app will be for the paid version of Hulu though.
post #379 of 737 Old 11-30-2010, 10:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I think a lot of us VIA owners are waiting for the Hulu app. On a previous posting it was mentioned that the app will be for the paid version of Hulu though.

Hulu+ is the subscribed version

Gamertag: crud monkey
post #380 of 737 Old 11-30-2010, 03:04 PM

Wondering.....did the cable cos get the memo? I really hope they'll opt for the ala carte programing model vs. fighting it with bandwidth caps or "network management". Just like the music industry...they appear to be blind to the gobs of revenue (not to mention their survival) right in front of them.
post #381 of 737 Old 12-01-2010, 05:49 PM

Has anyone else experimented with Flingo?

Quote:

I am playing with Flingo right now. I'll try to post my progress.

Went to flingo.org - website flung video showed up in Web Video app but played sound only + black screen. Trying to exit app crashed TV required unplug+replug to recover.

Downloading Flingo windows pc app and attempting to fling a video from my laptop. Not sure anything I have is properly encoded...will see. Will make separate post with video requirements from Flingo.org forums post.

Edit: Same result as above, possibly due to firmware identifying tv as 422 not 552 as it should..calling CS to correct now.

UPDATE: CS helped me fix the issue with Model number and I tried to play "Big Buck Bunny" video that flingo has up as a test, same result.
Sound only. Black Screen with a "play" arrow in the far right corner and no control of set - requires unplugging/replugging before I can even turn the set back on.

Update 2: Fling video from the website still plays sound only and no video - then locks up TV requiring reboot. After this behavior happens then no videos on Web Video will play.
I deleted the widget and re-added it and was able to play the video's already there, but trying to fling the Big Buck Bunny video from the flingo.org website seems to add the video multiple times (like 5+) in the queue. If I try to play it...same deal, lock up. So no progress.
Either our firmware update or some glitch on the flingo.org website/player seems to be the culprit.

post #382 of 737 Old 12-01-2010, 09:47 PM

Quote:

Has anyone else experimented with Flingo?

Yes, I have used it. I found that if you try flinging anything from your desktop (PC) and it isn't on your C: volume it won't play. Rather than moving all of the files I want to sling I used the mklink command to create a junction point. The one video I flung from the web worked fine.
post #383 of 737 Old 12-03-2010, 04:44 PM

Thanks for sharing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mniswonger View Post

Yes, I have used it. I found that if you try flinging anything from your desktop (PC) and it isn't on your C: volume it won't play. Rather than moving all of the files I want to sling I used the mklink command to create a junction point. The one video I flung from the web worked fine.

post #384 of 737 Old 12-03-2010, 07:39 PM - Thread Starter

Talked to Vizio again on the mini-blinds effect of my 552. I asked several times if the issue was prone to this model since this was the 2nd set that has it and was assured no it wasn't. They are now sending me another new TV though to correct the problem.
post #385 of 737 Old 12-05-2010, 08:07 PM

Now that the BBC has announced the rollout of iPlayer outside of the UK (first only to the ipad), I nominate development of a BBC iPlayer app. Anyone want to second this?
post #386 of 737 Old 12-10-2010, 08:47 PM

still waiting on hulu+ ...........
post #387 of 737 Old 12-14-2010, 01:31 PM

Is there anyway to pause a web video, switch to a different input to check something, then go back to the web video widget and resume playing that web video?
post #388 of 737 Old 12-14-2010, 11:17 PM

Depends which type of video you're watching- Netflix lets you stop a movie then resume it later, even on a different computer or device.
post #389 of 737 Old 12-15-2010, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8traxrule View Post
Depends which type of video you're watching- Netflix lets you stop a movie then resume it later, even on a different computer or device.
I'm inquiring about the web video widget and not Netflix. I think the ability to pause those videos for later viewing would be a nice feature.
post #390 of 737 Old 12-17-2010, 03:50 PM
AVS Special Member

I am guessing that there's no way to program a universal remote to navigate the VIA apps (like bring up TuneIn and dial in my favorite local station)? There is no way to know where the VIA "app bar" is dialed at any time, or discrete codes to invoke a particular VIA app.

-- TiVo FAQ Editor: www.tivofaq.com
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page