thanx....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 737 Old 01-11-2011, 09:26 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
My E422VA has yet to update. Chatted with Vizio Tech Support yester - told me that the update was out and that I should see it shortly. Still no update! Am I the only one???
post #453 of 737 Old 01-12-2011, 02:59 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunbar View Post

Netflix does not support CC on any streaming device. None of the streaming services (Amazon, Vudu etc.) do AFAIK.

The PS3 has Netflix CC. It isn't available on many titles yet.
post #454 of 737 Old 01-12-2011, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwbollinger View Post
My E422VA has yet to update. Chatted with Vizio Tech Support yester - told me that the update was out and that I should see it shortly. Still no update! Am I the only one???
I also have the E422VA, no update as of this morning.
post #455 of 737 Old 01-14-2011, 06:13 AM

Liked: 11
Which model(s) is Hulu+ available on?
post #456 of 737 Old 01-14-2011, 06:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by webboy10169 View Post

Has anyone been able to stream content from the desktop to the tv using flingo.org and the web videos widget? im able to stream all content on the web that is flingo enabled but cant stream a single thing from the desktop...

I did with the demo but it really seems kind of worthless to me.
post #457 of 737 Old 01-14-2011, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ftboomer View Post

I did with the demo but it really seems kind of worthless to me.

Yeah with the limited codecs that Vizio supports it doesn't seem to have much value. All the YouTube videos I tried from the www.youtubesocial.com web site show up as a single frame in the Web Videos queue, but display "Video Playback Error" when you try playing them.

The windows app installs, but the only way I see to launch it is to navigate to the executable and double click. Then nothing happens, unless you notice the addition to the task bar icons. Right-clicking that icon and selecting Fling File allows navigation to files, but I don't see that it does anything with them...at least not m4v, mpg, avi files.
post #458 of 737 Old 01-14-2011, 02:56 PM

Damn Hulu + has fricken commercials. Cancelling after 1 week trial. I can get all that **** with commercials on DVR.
post #459 of 737 Old 01-14-2011, 03:20 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasnightowl

Yeah with the limited codecs that Vizio supports it doesn't seem to have much value. All the YouTube videos I tried from the www.youtubesocial.com web site show up as a single frame in the Web Videos queue, but display "Video Playback Error" when you try playing them.

The windows app installs, but the only way I see to launch it is to navigate to the executable and double click. Then nothing happens, unless you notice the addition to the task bar icons. Right-clicking that icon and selecting Fling File allows navigation to files, but I don't see that it does anything with them...at least not m4v, mpg, avi files.
Limited codes yes but it does support AVC (H.264 / MPEG-4 Part 10) which I guess is becoming the norm. It would appear the developer is looking for help in developing this app. I see great potential for this app, eliminating the need for a connected device ( xbox, appleTV) especially if and when we get a via app for our phones. Too bad as of right now our phones are faster than the tv.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Xbox Gammer Tag: webboy

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

------------------------------------
post #460 of 737 Old 01-15-2011, 04:10 AM

Liked: 14
The new shows on Hulu have network logos on the picture too- and they're being overlayed by the TV, they're not on the actual video. If you stretch the picture the logos will stay exactly the same. What a way to show contempt for your audience (why I watch practically no regular TV already.) Picture quality was pretty good on the logo-free shows I watched (like Kojak) but no way in hell am I paying for this.
post #461 of 737 Old 01-15-2011, 04:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8traxrule View Post

The new shows on Hulu have network logos on the picture too- and they're being overlayed by the TV, they're not on the actual video. If you stretch the picture the logos will stay exactly the same. What a way to show contempt for your audience (why I watch practically no regular TV already.) Picture quality was pretty good on the logo-free shows I watched (like Kojak) but no way in hell am I paying for this.

Thank you very much. I am so sick of these channels putting these overlays and popups on programming. You can't even watch a program anymore. Some channels use almost 25% of the bottom of the screen for upcoming programs or other crap. The channel logo in the bottom right is bad enough but this is getting way out of hand.

Trying to watch Christmas movies on the Hallmark channel this past December was enough. (You sure don't see it during commercials) I'm about ready to dump DirecTV and just watch movies I buy or rent from Netflix.

I wish there was a website where people could start complaining about this.
post #462 of 737 Old 01-15-2011, 05:52 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 21
this morning my gf's m470nv restarted twice in a row without any warning. It was almost immediately after I powered it on.

Could that have been an update, and it just didn't tell me? The Vizio logo was blinking orange and white.

What's your choice today?

post #463 of 737 Old 01-15-2011, 05:07 PM

preludejtstyle, I just got the same tv last weekend and mine has also turned itself off twice! In addition to those 2 "turn offs" another time I did get the update but it turned itself back on after updating and then I had 12 pages of widgets instead of 9.

I am very concerned about the turning off by itself though! I read that some of the older vizios had that same problem. The first time it happened, I was watching a Netflix movie but the second time, no widgets or netflix or anything, just regular tv and off it went.

So, I've had this tv exactly 7 days and already besides the update, it's turned off 2 times. I wonder if I should return it but I just love almost everything else about it and the picture is so good.

The only other problems are there is no way to set up "favorite channels" and even though there is a sleep timer, there is no "wake" timer which is silly since you do set up the time for the tv.
post #464 of 737 Old 01-17-2011, 03:22 AM

Quote:

I wish there was a website where people could start complaining about this.

There have been a few since 1998, but they went away due to lack of interest. If you want to put a stop to it do what I do- vote with your wallet! Hulu is a rip-off, but Netflix is a great value in comparison with tons of stuff to watch all with NO on-screen crap or commercial interruptions. Quality on some titles leaves a bit to be desired while others look good.
post #465 of 737 Old 01-17-2011, 07:02 AM

Should you be interested in Netflix streaming with this set (using one of the VIAapps Yahoo! widget), be prepared for the possibility of spending a lot of time trying to get it working and, perhaps, eventually failing.
Whilst the other widgets we've tried do work (so we do have internet connctivity), we've been unable to get Netflix to work - both Vizio and Netflix point fingers.
The set has a hard-wired ethernet connection to a DIR-655 router and I've moved the set to the router's DMZ (other widgets worked without this step).
Repeatedly get a 'cannot connect to Netflix, please try again later ....' message - so unable to even get the activation code.
I am wondering if this is some sort of port restriction issue (we have Verizon), but have so far been unable to get much real help from either vendor.

All advice welcome!

Thanks.
post #466 of 737 Old 01-17-2011, 04:01 PM

I've read that people are having problems getting Pandora to work too- I've been lucky having no problems with these, despite being mostly computer illiterate. I can't get HDX on Vudu or HD on Amazon to work, but that would require spending more money on internet service.
post #467 of 737 Old 01-17-2011, 04:07 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8traxrule View Post

I've read that people are having problems getting Pandora to work too- I've been lucky having no problems with these, despite being mostly computer illiterate. I can't get HDX on Vudu or HD on Amazon to work, but that would require spending more money on internet service.

HDX requires a certain amount of internet bandwidth. What kind of internet service and connection do you have? I really like the Vudu service...just wish the rentals were a bit cheaper.

Haven't tried Amazon yet.

-curtis

Owner of

Volunteer Mod at the

Like all things on the Internet, do your research, as forums have a good amount of misinformation.

post #468 of 737 Old 01-17-2011, 04:37 PM

All of my app work and all I did was run the normal wireless setup. Never touched any settings on the router.

Before I watched my first Vudu HDX movie, I ran the speed test and it indicated I needed at least a consistent 9MB. I have 40MB.
post #469 of 737 Old 01-18-2011, 02:54 AM

I would hope Netflix tech support could have the ability to view their servers for connections. It would make it easier to troubleshoot these things. You call in for support, and give them the public IP address of your internet connection and/or MAC address of your TV. Then Netflix can monitor the servers to see if they're seeing any kind of a connection.
post #470 of 737 Old 01-19-2011, 09:32 AM

"Netflix has triggered a slew of customer complaints after revealing that it's taking away the ability to add titles to the DVD queue from streaming devices."--cnet

Way to break what's not broken Netflix.....

http://blog.netflix.com/2011/01/remo...ueue-from.html
post #471 of 737 Old 01-20-2011, 12:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Ok, stupid question because my TV arrives tomorrow, do you need to subscribe to Hulu+ to access even the free Hulu content?

My posts are my own opinions and suggestions and do not represent those of my employer or other staff members.
post #472 of 737 Old 01-20-2011, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by terryfoster View Post
Ok, stupid question because my TV arrives tomorrow, do you need to subscribe to Hulu+ to access even the free Hulu content?
Yes. But the big "gotcha" is that certain networks will not allow Hulu to stream their programing to your TV. Go to hulu.com to sort the shows list and note the "availability" to see what you pay to lose with Hulu+.
post #473 of 737 Old 01-20-2011, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Possum View Post

"Netflix has triggered a slew of customer complaints after revealing that it's taking away the ability to add titles to the DVD queue from streaming devices."--cnet

Way to break what's not broken Netflix.....

http://blog.netflix.com/2011/01/remo...ueue-from.html

If you to know where Netflix wants to go with their business, check out the master plan at:

http://www.slideshare.net/reed2001/n...tunity-5854575
post #474 of 737 Old 01-21-2011, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hlbmab View Post

If you to know where Netflix wants to go with their business, check out the master plan at:

http://www.slideshare.net/reed2001/n...tunity-5854575

And if Netflix wants to know where some of their customers will take their business --they need only read their own blog.

Fairly obvious that this propaganda piece was produced well before their bean counters told them how much money they are wasting on postage.

Slide 31 titled Stay Focused and Run Fast states:

--create an amazing user experience, especially on TV

-- Personalized adaptive UI to generate high satisfaction from broad catalog content.

Clearly neither of these points jives with limiting our options from the couch. Based upon the 4,600+ comments (overwhelming majority being negative) about removing add to DVD queue, I guess we're gonna see first hand how well they sprint from this short sighted business decision. Masking it as a consumer benefit only amplifies the insult.

Ubiquity is a fickle whore. And in this case it appears to be leading Netflix down blind ambition lane.
post #475 of 737 Old 01-22-2011, 08:39 AM

I have no problem with the concept of full time streaming from Netflix, except that hardly any of the new movies are available instantly. It seems to me that until Netflix gets all new movies available for streaming, they should back off punishing their subscribers who still request discs.
post #476 of 737 Old 01-22-2011, 07:46 PM

Apologies if this is not the correct location for this post. I have a Vizio M261VP purchased for $299 at officemax around christmas. I am tech savy (since the original PCs in 1980-1) but have thus far been unable to discover how to REMOVE an app from the listed group. [Even resetting only restores the original apps.] Unlike most users here, I am not a Hulu+ or netflix user. I purchased the unit to give access to free stuff like weather and internet radio etc. Any suggestions on where to go...or do you have the needed steps.

BTW: Part of the reason for the posting here is THIS IS THE MOST ACTIVE and EXTENSIVE correspondence on the VIZIO with internet APPS TVs. Likewise, isnt it a shame this cannot be sponsored by VIZIO on there site?? What about that thing called AFTER PURCHASE SUPPORT? [As a side, I am surprised and impressed. The APPS dont seem to be quite there yet, but I am impressed that VIZIO seems to understand this and is devoting time and $$ to moving them in the right direction. IMPRESSIVE. I will support them by recommending purchases in the future to clients and friends. But please dont desert your current clientele with current models when the new models are introduced.
post #477 of 737 Old 01-23-2011, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nejpski View Post

Apologies if this is not the correct location for this post. I have a Vizio M261VP purchased for $299 at officemax around christmas. I am tech savy (since the original PCs in 1980-1) but have thus far been unable to discover how to REMOVE an app from the listed group. [Even resetting only restores the original apps.] Unlike most users here, I am not a Hulu+ or netflix user. I purchased the unit to give access to free stuff like weather and internet radio etc. Any suggestions on where to go...or do you have the needed steps.

BTW: Part of the reason for the posting here is THIS IS THE MOST ACTIVE and EXTENSIVE correspondence on the VIZIO with internet APPS TVs. Likewise, isnt it a shame this cannot be sponsored by VIZIO on there site?? What about that thing called AFTER PURCHASE SUPPORT? [As a side, I am surprised and impressed. The APPS dont seem to be quite there yet, but I am impressed that VIZIO seems to understand this and is devoting time and $$ to moving them in the right direction. IMPRESSIVE. I will support them by recommending purchases in the future to clients and friends. But please dont desert your current clientele with current models when the new models are introduced.

I have the M550NV but it's probably the same process. On the remote, open the VIA app bar then press the yellow button and follow the on screen instructions (red for delete)
post #478 of 737 Old 01-23-2011, 01:52 PM

question for you experts...Just received my Vizio XVT553SV....so far we love it but.....my cable is included with my HOA dues, but I have to run the cable from the wall directly to the TV, so I'm not getting the best picture quality. Besides signing up for Direct TV, Dish or getting the box thru our HOA cable provider is there something I can use that would improve my picture quality?
post #479 of 737 Old 01-23-2011, 10:12 PM

Thanks for the response on EDITING OUT the unwanted VIA INTERNET APPS from the main bar. Your response was DEAD ON.

Which brings me to another interesting conclusion. Since USERS are providing so much TECH SUPPORT for products now days, do you suppose we are getting better prices (or are profit margins just going up). It is also interesting how I thought it would be more FRUITFUL to post my request here, rather than toiling thru VIZIOs tech support. REgards and thanks to ALL. You people make me proud to call myself a NERD!
post #480 of 737 Old 01-24-2011, 04:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nejpski View Post

Thanks for the response on EDITING OUT the unwanted VIA INTERNET APPS from the main bar. Your response was DEAD ON.

Which brings me to another interesting conclusion. Since USERS are providing so much TECH SUPPORT for products now days, do you suppose we are getting better prices (or are profit margins just going up). It is also interesting how I thought it would be more FRUITFUL to post my request here, rather than toiling thru VIZIOs tech support. REgards and thanks to ALL. You people make me proud to call myself a NERD!

You're welcome. You bring up an interesting point. I never thought about these or other forums as tech support but they most certainly are. Problem is, those of us using forums for tech support probably only represent less than 1% of the users out there.

Only the self proclaimed nerds or geeks of the world are using forums. So the impact on true company offered tech support is probably going up as products get more connected and complex.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page