VIZIO INTERNET APPS (VIA) Enabled LCD's Thread - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 737 Old 02-19-2010, 02:39 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I got Ubantu working on 4gb usb yesterday night, and now I will start working on to get the basic widget ...!

First task would be to investigate how can I get all available yahoo widget on my Vizio...? second to develop one from scratch.

Please please post you exprience if you are trying to develop or load any widget which are not part of VIZIO...!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 737 Old 02-20-2010, 10:12 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by m_orion13 View Post

I got Ubantu working on 4gb usb yesterday night, and now I will start working on to get the basic widget ...!

First task would be to investigate how can I get all available yahoo widget on my Vizio...? second to develop one from scratch.

Please please post you exprience if you are trying to develop or load any widget which are not part of VIZIO...!

I plan on working on mine today. I'll probably try a "Hello World" example just to test. I'll let you know how it goes.
post #33 of 737 Old 02-21-2010, 07:24 PM - Thread Starter

I talked to Vizio about the Netflix 4:3 problem and they are working on a fix.
post #34 of 737 Old 02-22-2010, 03:33 PM

The Rhapsody widget is absolute crap. I am doing this weeks survey and I can't even get it to function. I added music to my queue, but it won't play the music. The menu is also so sluggish that its almost a joke. I think they need to go back to the drawing boards on this one. The amazon video worked a LOT better than this one and I was able to watch a movie with no issues so I don't think its my internet connection.
post #35 of 737 Old 02-22-2010, 05:35 PM

With today's announced purchase of Vudu by Walmart will this likely be the end of the Vizio Vudu app or more likely a rebranding of sorts upon sale closure?

Vudu has its own large group of third party apps that I don't think have been brought to Vizio. Too bad as I would like to see more content providers in the VIA and the Vudu apps would add a lot.
post #36 of 737 Old 02-22-2010, 05:39 PM

Considering Wal-Mart is a big seller of Vizio's, I doubt it would be the end, but a rebranding would most certainly come and then a big push by Wal-Mart to sell these with "their new internet app included"
post #37 of 737 Old 02-22-2010, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragunov_SVDS View Post

The Rhapsody widget is absolute crap. I am doing this weeks survey and I can't even get it to function. I added music to my queue, but it won't play the music. The menu is also so sluggish that its almost a joke. I think they need to go back to the drawing boards on this one. The amazon video worked a LOT better than this one and I was able to watch a movie with no issues so I don't think its my internet connection.

Despite a few minor issues trying to switch songs, I was pleased with the Rhapsody app. Seems I'm in the minority.
post #38 of 737 Old 02-22-2010, 08:28 PM - Thread Starter

I've tried Rhapsody a couple more times and unless I'm playing a whole album I find the UI annoying. Weird how yours wouldn't play any audio though. Which TV do you have?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragunov_SVDS View Post

post #39 of 737 Old 02-22-2010, 08:57 PM

Ok, noob question for anyone who has this set...

Can you stream movies (mp4/mkv/etc) and music (mp3) wirelessly from your pc to the tv? or is the functionality limited to hulu/netflix websites?

Thank you!
post #40 of 737 Old 02-22-2010, 09:06 PM - Thread Starter

These type of features are not currently enabled. However if the Vizio hardware matches the Yahoo document for HD requirements I read it should support the following but is up to the OEM to implement.

Quote:

• Intel® CE 3100 System On a Chip (SOC) Media Processor
  • 256MB RAM
  • Video Codec: HD: H.264, VC1, MPEG2, WMV9 SD: Flash-lite 3.1 (On2 VP6, Sorenson, h264), MPEG4 part 2, DivX3/4/5/6, WMV7/8, MPEG1
  • Audio Codec: AC-3, WMA7/8, WMA9, WMA Pro, MPEG1 L2, LPCM, MPEG2 L2, MPEG4 AAC-LC, MPEG1 L3, MPEG2 L3, HE-AAC, Dolby Digital Plus Optional Codecs: DTS 5.1 core, DTS HD, Dolby TrueHD
  • Multichannel Audio: 2 channels for WMA up to WMA Pro. Up to 5.1 channels for AC3, DTS, AAC
  • JPG, PNG image support
  • DRM Support: WMDRM-PD/Janus, DTCP-IP
  • Container Format Support: MPEG2-PS, MPEG2-TS, MPEG1-System, AVI, ASF, MP4, MOV*(QuickTime), FLV, F4V
  • DLNA Client and MyMedia widget
  • Flash Storage with Optional storage support

Quote:
Originally Posted by hckyplyr View Post

Ok, noob question for anyone who has this set...

Can you stream movies (mp4/mkv/etc) and music (mp3) wirelessly from your pc to the tv? or is the functionality limited to hulu/netflix websites?

Thank you!

post #41 of 737 Old 02-22-2010, 09:43 PM

This is my first experience with Rhapsody, so any or all of the things that bugged me about it might be just the way it works, and this app is not one I expect to ever use after the free month trial.

The Rhapsody app works well while I use it, but exiting app locks up Widget Bar for at least 1-2 minutes before it returns control to TV.
Considerable lag time in response to remote commands. Frustrating.
Search function needs work: some results were "false positives" - clicked picture responses from search and got message "no results returned" several times.../shrug
Highlighting of the upper right corner controls is too subtle, often caused selection of unwanted function.

Was there a visualization option somewhere I missed?
Screen real estate seems wasted with only tiny cover art.

Overall it just made me want the missing Pandora app even more. Mentioned that fact several times on survey.

@Deric_ thanks for creating the thread and posting the specs!
post #42 of 737 Old 02-22-2010, 11:10 PM

Anyone notice the app called SyncTV Kids available in the widgets list now? I was able to install it, but then get an error saying unable to refresh data content, please try again later. I looked up the website and it looks like cartoons of some kind, but ones I never heard of.

https://kids.synctv.com/browse/shows

On another VIA note, I'm still waiting for the Pandora widget to show up.
post #43 of 737 Old 02-23-2010, 11:03 AM

Yeah....you're right....what the heck are those cartoons? -- I mean "Marvin, the dancing horse"?!
post #44 of 737 Old 02-24-2010, 03:40 PM

Fifth survey is out: VUDU app. You have to set up an account if you haven't yet and watch a movie. Pretty straight forward.
post #45 of 737 Old 02-24-2010, 04:37 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by lqqker View Post

Anyone notice the app called SyncTV Kids available in the widgets list now? I was able to install it, but then get an error saying unable to refresh data content, please try again later. I looked up the website and it looks like cartoons of some kind, but ones I never heard of.

https://kids.synctv.com/browse/shows

On another VIA note, I'm still waiting for the Pandora widget to show up.

I haven't seen this widget. It's not in my list of available apps. I wonder if it's like the Facebook widget. Available for a day, then gone.
post #46 of 737 Old 02-24-2010, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by docholliday814 View Post

Fifth survey is out: VUDU app. You have to set up an account if you haven't yet and watch a movie. Pretty straight forward.

Anyone else beginning to think that a big part of the VIA VIP program is marketing to get users to sign up for accounts with the content providers? Amazon, Vudu, Rhapsody and Netflix have all been the same with each having their own survey to complete with a requirement being to open an account. The surveys are pretty short, without a lot of depth, so not sure how much value Vizio is getting from the responses. The content providers are getting new accounts each time though so the surveys are serving them pretty well.
post #47 of 737 Old 02-24-2010, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hendjaz View Post

Anyone else beginning to think that a big part of the VIA VIP program is marketing to get users to sign up for accounts with the content providers? Amazon, Vudu, Rhapsody and Netflix have all been the same with each having their own survey to complete with a requirement being to open an account. The surveys are pretty short, without a lot of depth, so not sure how much value Vizio is getting from the responses. The content providers are getting new accounts each time though so the surveys are serving them pretty well.

I totally agree with you. I was especially bothered by VUDU's process because it forces you to provide a credit card during the sign up process. And, AFAIK, you can't remove it from your account thereafter.

When I joined the VIA VIP program I thought I'd be providing better feedback through the surveys. However, I've provided better feedback by contacting support a couple of times than all of the surveys combined.

P.S. I don't remember a Netflix survey, but the trend is definitely there.
post #48 of 737 Old 02-25-2010, 05:01 AM - Thread Starter

Received the firmware update and am now able to install Pandora (Woohoo!!!). I've watched a couple of Netflix shows that had the jump/green-line issue and haven't seen it so I hope it is fixed.

The Pandora app is very nice and after the update the dock seems more responsive.
post #49 of 737 Old 02-25-2010, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deric_ View Post

Received the firmware update and am now able to install Pandora (Woohoo!!!). I've watched a couple of Netflix shows that had the jump/green-line issue and haven't seen it so I hope it is fixed.

The Pandora app is very nice and after the update the dock seems more responsive.

Still no firmware update here. Hopefully I'll get it when I get back from work tonight.
post #50 of 737 Old 02-25-2010, 10:34 AM

Also received the update and addition of Pandora this morning. It showed 18 updates in all but just the one new app that I could find.
post #51 of 737 Old 02-25-2010, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hendjaz View Post

Also received the update and addition of Pandora this morning. It showed 18 updates in all but just the one new app that I could find.

Where did it show the updates? My gf was there when the update was done on our tv but she says she didn't see much (she was instructed to turn the tv off and then the tv turned itself on, presumably after the update was complete).
post #52 of 737 Old 02-25-2010, 05:42 PM - Thread Starter

After the prompt that an update would be installed. The Yahoo dock applet said it was installing the 18 or 19 updates. My TV restarted itself and didn't prompt me to restart.

SyncTV is back too

Quote:
Originally Posted by docholliday814 View Post

Where did it show the updates? My gf was there when the update was done on our tv but she says she didn't see much (she was instructed to turn the tv off and then the tv turned itself on, presumably after the update was complete).

post #53 of 737 Old 02-25-2010, 06:35 PM

Quote:

Received the firmware update and am now able to install Pandora (Woohoo!!!)...The Pandora app is very nice and after the update the dock seems more responsive.

Pandora and Rhapsody (once they fix the I/F) are good for music...but this is a TV, so they really need something like Yahoo's music videos (music.yahoo.com). Vizio's web site (vizio.com/via/) shows a Y!Video app, but unless under "More Categories" it doesn't include music... After the update, my dock went from very slow to painfully slow and even ignoring some scroll right/left key presses.
post #54 of 737 Old 02-25-2010, 06:38 PM

Liked: 11
That's so weird. I was updated too, and have Pandora and Facebook. But no SyncTV.
post #55 of 737 Old 02-25-2010, 07:51 PM

Upon further review, the new widgets/apps today appear to be SyncTV/kids, Facebook (return) and Pandora. The widget dock also seems to be more responsive/faster. No problem accessing and using existing Pandora account as all previously established "stations" appeared right away.
post #56 of 737 Old 02-25-2010, 07:55 PM - Thread Starter

Which model do you have? I'm using the 552 and can definitely tell the dock is faster. The only thing I've seen take longer is the time it takes the TV to actually shut off (click sound). It used to be 30 seconds and now it's 2 minutes. No big deal though just something I noticed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasnightowl View Post

Pandora and Rhapsody (once they fix the I/F) are good for music...but this is a TV, so they really need something like Yahoo's music videos (music.yahoo.com). Vizio's web site (vizio.com/via/) shows a Y!Video app, but unless under "More Categories" it doesn't include music... After the update, my dock went from very slow to painfully slow and even ignoring some scroll right/left key presses.

post #57 of 737 Old 02-25-2010, 11:04 PM

Quote:

Which model do you have? I'm using the 552 and can definitely tell the dock is faster.

I have the 552. Tonight it is a lot faster, but varies depending upon whether it reloads the graphics. Also still becomes unresponsive for a few seconds here and there.

Has anyone noticed that the TV's internal broadcast Guide only shows the current and the next show, though there are slots for 5 shows. And you actually have to go to the channel and wait for the info to load. Would be nice if the TV Guide App could control the channel since the TV's guide is near worthless.
post #58 of 737 Old 02-25-2010, 11:40 PM - Thread Starter

+1 on wishing this was a little more feature filled.

I have noticed a few changes since the firmware update. For example, the tech logo is now under TV Settings instead of Help and Guided Setup is under the Help menu now (I don't remember it being their before).

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasnightowl View Post

Has anyone noticed that the TV's internal broadcast Guide only shows the current and the next show, though there are slots for 5 shows. And you actually have to go to the channel and wait for the info to load. Would be nice if the TV Guide App could control the channel since the TV's guide is near worthless.

post #59 of 737 Old 02-26-2010, 09:37 AM

Quote:

After the prompt that an update would be installed. The Yahoo dock applet said it was installing the 18 or 19 updates. My TV restarted itself and didn't prompt me to restart.

SyncTV is back too

Ah thanks.

I've noticed that navigating the VIA dock, starting/stopping apps is considerably faster.

For those looking for SyncTV, for me, it's the last app on the last page of apps.

Quote:

Which model do you have? I'm using the 552 and can definitely tell the dock is faster. The only thing I've seen take longer is the time it takes the TV to actually shut off (click sound). It used to be 30 seconds and now it's 2 minutes. No big deal though just something I noticed.

For me, the shut-off/click sound still occurs a few seconds after turning off the TV.
post #60 of 737 Old 02-26-2010, 10:02 AM

I really expected the test to be more about the TV in general, not just the individual apps.

I would like to see the screen shrink down to the fit the free space when the VIA menu flies out. I think it's kinda crazy to navigate the options while it is covering 20% of the program that you're watching. I'd also like a faster way to change the screen size, maybe even an auto function that many ten-year old televisions have. But the surveys haven't offered me anywhere to provide that type of input.

The way the survey is being handled seems to be more of a way for Vizio to get partners for the product, rather than a feedback regarding the set from customers.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page