Forum Jump: 

Old 02-26-2010, 11:11 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by hanjke View Post

I really expected the test to be more about the TV in general, not just the individual apps.

I would like to see the screen shrink down to the fit the free space when the VIA menu flies out. I think it's kinda crazy to navigate the options while it is covering 20% of the program that you're watching. I'd also like a faster way to change the screen size, maybe even an auto function that many ten-year old televisions have. But the surveys haven't offered me anywhere to provide that type of input.

The way the survey is being handled seems to be more of a way for Vizio to get partners for the product, rather than a feedback regarding the set from customers.

IIRC, the blue button on remote will change the screen size when a VIA app is up. I think it also remembers the last setting you've used, so that when you bring it up at a later time, it'll be what you last chose.

I agree with you on what Vizio is trying to accomplish with the surveys. I'm a little disappointed, but at the same time, I can't be too mad since I'll be getting some nice goodies at the end.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-26-2010, 11:54 AM

Quote:

I would like to see the screen shrink down to the fit the free space when the VIA menu flies out. I think it's kinda crazy to navigate the options while it is covering 20% of the program that you're watching. .

There is. I'm pretty sure it's the blue button. Will toggle through several screen sizing options when the VIA apps sidebar is open.
Old 02-26-2010, 12:11 PM

Some people have logged disappointment/suprise over the topics of choice for the VIA surverys. Personally, the surveys are what I expected because of these 2 points.

1. The TV is the same as the 551 EXCEPT FOR the VIA apps. So there is really no need to test the features that already exist in the 551.

2. IMO, The apps choosen for the survery are choosen because they are streaming based not because they are subscription based. VIZIO needs to know how the streaming music and movie apps function as far as APP functionality, speed, buffering, content, etc.

There is really no point to having a survery on the Yahoo Finance or the TV Guide App.

Streaming media directly to the TV is still fairly fresh technology and I'm happy to be part of a testing program that paves the way forward. I don't see the VIA VIP program as a ploy to sign up customers for VIZIOs streaming partners.

thoughts?
Old 02-26-2010, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by schub View Post

Some people have logged disappointment/suprise over the topics of choice for the VIA surverys. Personally, the surveys are what I expected because of these 2 points.

1. The TV is the same as the 551 EXCEPT FOR the VIA apps. So there is really no need to test the features that already exist in the 551.

2. IMO, The apps choosen for the survery are choosen because they are streaming based not because they are subscription based. VIZIO needs to know how the streaming music and movie apps function as far as APP functionality, speed, buffering, content, etc.

There is really no point to having a survery on the Yahoo Finance or the TV Guide App.

Streaming media directly to the TV is still fairly fresh technology and I'm happy to be part of a testing program that paves the way forward. I don't see the VIA VIP program as a ploy to sign up customers for VIZIOs streaming partners.

thoughts?

I've beta tested software a handful of times, so I was expecting something similar with the VIA VIP program. My understanding was that we'd be testing the VIA software - all aspects of it, not just the streaming. (And while Yahoo! Finance doesn't really test the limits of the TV, it could potentially crash the software; the Netflix app had quite a few bugs, some of which affected the TV after you were done with the app; simply bringing up the dock up created some screen issues for some of us; etc., etc.) We haven't really tested all aspects of the tv per the surveys, but I think some of us have provided a lot of feedback through customer service.

At the end of the day, as long as customer service is listening, I'm happy. So far they are. And, I'll be happier when I recieve my VIP goodies.
Old 02-26-2010, 04:49 PM

Just updated firmware and downloaded new apps - adding Pandora made my day, sounds amazing on my home theater system. Happy camper.
Encouraging to see that the firmware update(s) went smoothly - now it's our job to try find chinks in the armor.

Surveys are what I expected. I have actually coordinated several field tests and collected feedback via surveys for a major appliance manufacturer. Most people add lots of great feedback in comment fields as it should be, I'm sure all of us did too.
I personally begged for Pandora release, and lots more free content relevant to television and movie watchers....be it Rotten Tomatoes/IMDB, and most importantly a simple browser.

At the end of the day, I feel the surveys were meant to help determine which partners services are perceived as value-added by us, the early adopters. Don't feel put upon at all...since I read about each service before using them. I knew I disliked the Vudu business model before I ever turned on the tv set.

I've had a blast so far. So glad I got in on this.
Old 02-26-2010, 05:16 PM

In case the info is needed by anyone for reference, the current updated firmware version is:
VERSION: VIZIO_B1.31.0_04

Also noticed another change in interface: Test Connection option shows more information than previously and also shows signal strength in bars.

My wireless connection picked up an additional bar of strength --- full 5 bars now.
Had to be result of firmware update cos nothing has changed in my setup at all,
and I consistently got 4 bars of signal before.
Old 02-26-2010, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by obi1234 View Post

In case the info is needed by anyone for reference, the current updated firmware version is:
VERSION: VIZIO_B1.31.0_04

Also noticed another change in interface: Test Connection option shows more information than previously and also shows signal strength in bars.

My wireless connection picked up an additional bar of strength --- full 5 bars now.
Had to be result of firmware update cos nothing has changed in my setup at all,
and I consistently got 4 bars of signal before.

I have the same firmware version. Also, my wireless connection has always shown five bars - lucky me. It connects at 12.5Mbps - kind of slow considering I have up to 18Mbps with Comcast in the bay area.
Old 02-26-2010, 11:19 PM

Widgets everywhere
Old 02-27-2010, 11:12 AM

I didn't mean to imply there was any reason the wireless wouldn't get 5 bars.
My router is on the 2nd story of my house and the HDTV on ground level, so I have usually only gotten 4 bars previously.

Overall, I think this was a solid firmware update.
Looking forward to the one that enables the usb ports.
Old 02-27-2010, 06:43 PM

Quote:

I didn't mean to imply there was any reason the wireless wouldn't get 5 bars.
My router is on the 2nd story of my house and the HDTV on ground level, so I have usually only gotten 4 bars previously.

Overall, I think this was a solid firmware update.
Looking forward to the one that enables the usb ports.

Ah ok. Anyway, I agree with you on the firmware update: pretty solid. It addressed all of my current "must fix" issues.
Old 02-27-2010, 09:43 PM - Thread Starter

It fixed 2 of my three complains. Now if they would only fix this:

My son was watching cartoons today and it was pretty bad. I also noticed it when switching menu "blades" on a 1080P xbox 360 dashboard.

Edit: I did notice a new issue since the FW update. Sometimes the sound will cut out and I will have to turn it up or down for it to kick back in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by docholliday814 View Post

Ah ok. Anyway, I agree with you on the firmware update: pretty solid. It addressed all of my current "must fix" issues.

Old 02-28-2010, 05:13 PM

Quote:

Edit: I did notice a new issue since the FW update. Sometimes the sound will cut out and I will have to turn it up or down for it to kick back in.

Now that you mention it, I noticed sound dropping while watching a streaming video website (non-widget) but thought it was just a few vids that were poorly encoded. I'll start documenting when it happens now.
FYI: Using Yamaha receiver via spdif connect for all audio - TV speakers turned off, but I only noticed when using my HTPC via VGA input.

Btw, There was a minor widget update that loaded this afternoon, no new widgets showed up for me.
The widget bar really responds much more quickly after the major update of a few days ago. Nice.

Let me know if you need more comparison info on the sound thing. I'm going to call CS tomorrow morning and report it, too.

I've never seen anything like the video thing you posted pic of...hope that resolves for you...
Old 02-28-2010, 06:35 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

I've never seen anything like the video thing you posted pic of...hope that resolves for you...

The video issue shows itself on fast moving images. I was watching a movie last night and the fire in the background looked like the image above. Originally I thought it only happened on OTA channels but have seen it in VIA, component (1080P) and HDMI. Sometimes shutting off the TV and restarting it corrects the issue but not always
Old 02-28-2010, 10:48 PM

Quote:

I really expected the test to be more about the TV in general, not just the individual apps.

I would like to see the screen shrink down to the fit the free space when the VIA menu flies out. I think it's kinda crazy to navigate the options while it is covering 20% of the program that you're watching. I'd also like a faster way to change the screen size, maybe even an auto function that many ten-year old televisions have. But the surveys haven't offered me anywhere to provide that type of input.

The way the survey is being handled seems to be more of a way for Vizio to get partners for the product, rather than a feedback regarding the set from customers.

When the dock is up on screen... push the blue button. This enables viewport mode and the apps will no longer cover the video. Click blue button again to go back.

Also, works when apps are launched on left side.
Old 03-01-2010, 07:12 AM

Hi Folks -
I'm seriously considering the SV422XVT model and have a couple of questions. I'm hearing impaired so I use Closed Captions (CC) alot. Do any of the widgets that stream video have CC? Also I like to use POP (I had an old Sony RP set, Sony KP57HW40 that did this great) and was wondering if you have two signals (say tuner and OTA) in POP mode, can you get both CC's simultaneously? Thanks.

Paul
Old 03-01-2010, 01:07 PM

I looked for Pandora today and didn't find it listed under all widgets. I went ahead and checked my firmware and it still says vizio_b1.20.1_rc1. I have the 47 inch. To my knowledge the firmwares are suppose to automatically happen. Is there a way to force it to check for firmware updates?
Old 03-01-2010, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lqqker View Post

I looked for Pandora today and didn't find it listed under all widgets. I went ahead and checked my firmware and it still says vizio_b1.20.1_rc1. I have the 47 inch. To my knowledge the firmwares are suppose to automatically happen. Is there a way to force it to check for firmware updates?

Copy any custom video settings since they will be reset after the update. They appear to be updating in small batches every day. Customer service can probably force an update if you call.
Old 03-01-2010, 04:43 PM - Thread Starter

Non of the widgets have subtitles unless it is a foreign movie that specifies it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shyguy View Post

Hi Folks -
I'm seriously considering the SV422XVT model and have a couple of questions. I'm hearing impaired so I use Closed Captions (CC) alot. Do any of the widgets that stream video have CC? Also I like to use POP (I had an old Sony RP set, Sony KP57HW40 that did this great) and was wondering if you have two signals (say tuner and OTA) in POP mode, can you get both CC's simultaneously? Thanks.

Paul

Old 03-01-2010, 05:09 PM

Quote:

The last firmware didn't update for me until I left my set turned off for about 3 hours. I have insomnia so sometimes my TV runs for days without turning it off.

Just throwing some suggestions out there:
Have you tried unplugging the set for at least 1 minute?
Check your wireless connection or plug in a wired connection?

Let us know what you find out.
Old 03-01-2010, 05:14 PM

Firmware Update moved Tech Logo Off to TV Setting, bottom option.
Better placement of this option for sure.
Old 03-01-2010, 05:54 PM

Quote:

Has anyone with a 47 inch received a firmware update? Perhaps the 55 inch has it's own...
Old 03-01-2010, 07:10 PM

According to Zane (support agent) at Vizio support, the 47in does have it's own firmware revision and is approx. 2 weeks behind the 55in firmware release. So I guess I'll look for an update around that time and see if Pandora is available then.
Old 03-01-2010, 09:04 PM

Anybody here have any calibration settings for the 552 yet? Ive been so busy with all these widgets that I haven't really calibrated the tv yet.
Old 03-02-2010, 08:28 AM

Could we start a Calibration thread for the 552 ?
Old 03-02-2010, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cosmo234 View Post

Could we start a Calibration thread for the 552 ?

Considering the display section of the TV is identical, why not just use the 551 thread? http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1198398

Marc

Old 03-02-2010, 10:22 AM

I tried the settings for the 551 on my 552 , and I can assure you that no way are they the same .

I am more interested in seeing what changes were made to the RGB and RGB offsets .
Old 03-02-2010, 10:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:

Has anyone with a 47 inch received a firmware update? Perhaps the 55 inch has it's own...

I received it for my sv472xvt over the weekend. The manual says the TV needs to be off. However I received it after the tv was off overnight, it could be a coincidence or it could be that it needs to be off for quite some time before it will receive the update.

It added Facebook and Pandora, and reset my backlight and skipped channel settings.
Old 03-02-2010, 12:33 PM

Watched a VUDU movie this weekend and enoyed it, but noticed that Audio feed was Stereo PCM only not Dolby Digital 5.1. I played with VUDU some more this morning after the TV installed the new Firmware update (B1.31.0_04). I found that I had not set the Digital Out in the Vizio TV Settings to Dolby Digital. Played some more with VUDU after setting and, even then, the VUDU Audio was PCM Stereo only.

I submitted a Support Request to VUDU and got the following response within a couple hours!
-Pasted response...
"There is an issue with VUDU on the VIZIO TVs and 5.1 surround sound. VIZIO is now aware of the issue and will fix with a firmware update. Unfortunately we do not have an E.T.A for when that will be.

Best regards,
VUDU Customer Care
1-888-554-VUDU (8838)
support@vudu.com"

So I guess we'll have to wait for the next Firmware rev. for Dolby Digital 5.1 on VUDU.
Old 03-02-2010, 02:59 PM

Vudu unwatchable Saturday night.

I tried to watch a trailer and it kept buffering every 20 to 30 seconds. I figured it was just the trailer because I watched another trailer and it worked fine. I rented a movie using my $5.99 credit and it was unwatchable, it just kept buffering every minute or so. I could not get through the opening credits. Dropped the quaility from HDX to HD, same problem. I gave up on VUDU and switched over to the netflix app and watched an entire movie with no buffering. I've never had any buffering on netflix. I have a 25mb fios connection.

I've contacted VUDU to get my movie credited since I couldn't watch it. They've responded with 'we need more information' which I supplied. Still waiting to hear back.
Old 03-02-2010, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDiCE View Post

I guess we'll have to wait for the next Firmware rev. for Dolby Digital 5.1 on VUDU.

I complained in the Amazon survey a couple weeks ago that it, VUDU and Netflix didn't have Dolby Digital 5.1. I wonder if the fix will allow it for all 3.

Quote:

Vudu unwatchable Saturday night.

I tried to watch a trailer and it kept buffering every 20 to 30 seconds. ... I rented a movie using my $5.99 credit and it was unwatchable, it just kept buffering every minute or so. I could not get through the opening credits. Dropped the quaility from HDX to HD, same problem. I gave up on VUDU and switched over to the netflix app and watched an entire movie with no buffering. I've never had any buffering on netflix. I have a 25mb fios connection.

I wonder if peak demand periods like saturday night overwhelm VUDU's bandwidth capacity. I wonder how much memory the TV has for buffering (memory is cheap, but I get feeling the TV has none based on it not preloading/preserving App graphics, etc downloaded from inet) and whether we will eventually be able to plug in a USB disk drive or thumb drive and use it for a healthy buffer.